Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wide Receiver

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 04:03 PM by JagFan81.)

I like Chark and Westbrook. The whole O has fallen off this second half and it all started from the QB decision. We dont seem to have a gameplan. I couldnt tell you what we are working on and it's all about timing. Minshew is running for his life most plays or its 3rd and long and on him to keep the drive alive. Conley has a cap friendly deal. I can live with those 3. 

We have to bring a TE in. Unless they think Oliver can be Kelce/Kittle then it's such a big hole to have on modern O's.

We need some Oline help. It isn't happening this year and I think coaching changes will help, I wouldn't mind kicking Norwell to RG to see if that helps and find a mauling LG. 

This team is crying out for speed though. We miss Corey. Either at RB or WR we need a burner.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Oliver isn’t even close to a Kelce or Kittle. Both of those guys are elite blockers and that’s not a part of Oliver’s game.

If Goedert is there at pick 29.... wait... wrong year.

(12-23-2019, 04:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Oliver isn’t even close to a Kelce or Kittle. Both of those guys are elite blockers and that’s not a part of Oliver’s game.

Elite blockers?

I mean... okay.

But that's a very lax definition of elite.

Marcedes Lewis was an elite blocker... he could take DEs out by himself.

(12-23-2019, 04:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Oliver isn’t even close to a Kelce or Kittle. Both of those guys are elite blockers and that’s not a part of Oliver’s game.

I wish we'd stop pretending we know anything about Josh Oliver. We have no idea what he'll turn out to be. All we know right now is he can't stay healthy. 

Marcedes was supposed to be a terrible blocker coming out. How'd that work out? 

And DeFilippo said he was impressed with how well Oliver was blocking at one point in the preseason. Maybe he can be more than a receiving end. 

This is all aside from the fact that the offense we were running didn't hardly ever ask the F tight end to block anyway. 
(like Ertz in philly)  That was supposed to be the role of Swaim.  (Y tight end)

(12-23-2019, 04:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I wish we'd stop pretending we know anything about Josh Oliver. We have no idea what he'll turn out to be. All we know right now is he can't stay healthy. 

And DeFilippo said he was impressed with how well Oliver was blocking at one point in the preseason. Maybe he can be more than a receiving end. 

This is all aside from the fact that the offense we were running didn't hardly ever ask the F tight end to block anyway. 
(like Ertz in philly)  That was supposed to be the role of Swaim.  (Y tight end)

I remember those reports about Marcedes.. Then he turned into the best blocking TE in the league.

(12-22-2019, 11:13 PM)Upper Wrote: We need a deep threat that keeps defensive coordinators awake at night worrying about us blowing the top off the defense. Just look at the Texans/Eagles offensive splits with and without Fuller and Djax, respectively. Look at how the Chiefs still spend a 2nd rounder on Hardman even with Tyreek on the team. If we could get a guy like that, say if Ruggs is still there with the Rams pick, that would be gigantic for our offense. Chark is good, Dede should be a passable slot, but a guy like Ruggs could completely transform the offense.

In fairness to the Chiefs, they spent the second because they weren't sure if they'd be able to pay that woman-beating child-abusing piece of pig excrement his $6M this year.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 04:54 PM by JagFan81.)

(12-23-2019, 04:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Well that's kind of my point. Your right, weve seen so little of him and we have no idea how well he knows the playbook and has that connection down.
 My hope is that the coaches and people working with him everyday could tell if he has those skills to be elite. If they see an upgrade then I'm all for it.

Weve got him 3 more seasons and you cant have enough depth.

This discussion just shows how much we need to clean house. Reason being, it's pretty obvious that we cannot fill all our holes in one offseason. So we're going to have a lame-duck coaching staff out there trying like crazy to get more wins when in fact what they should be doing is building the team and developing the younger players. We are going to need patience to get this team back to the playoffs, but the coaches will have no patience at all. They'll be thinking short-term, coaching for their jobs, which is not what we are going to need next year.

(12-23-2019, 04:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Elite blockers?

I mean... okay.

If you’ve watched Kelce and Kittle play, you would know they’re elite blockers.

(12-23-2019, 04:53 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 04:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wish we'd stop pretending we know anything about Josh Oliver. We have no idea what he'll turn out to be. All we know right now is he can't stay healthy. 

Well that's kind of my point. Your right, weve seen so little of him and we have no idea how well he knows the playbook and has that connection down.
 My hope is that the coaches and people working with him everyday could tell if he has those skills to be elite. If they see an upgrade then I'm all for it.

Weve got him 3 more seasons and you cant have enough depth.

I don't see the tight end issue the same way.  

I think you add another guy regardless.  Not as an upgrade, but a compliment.
I'm personally optimistic Oliver will turn out to be a solid receiving (F-type) TE. Think O'Shaugnessy with better wheels, hands, and route running - but not "elite."  Just solid/good. 

You need another TE to compliment him, and getting a Y-type who can be a stud blocker lined up next to an OT but still get down the seam and grab a catch over a safety would be the goal IMO. This may not be the easiest draft to do that in, but I haven't delved into those prospects yet.

(12-23-2019, 04:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 04:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Elite blockers?

I mean... okay.

If you’ve watched Kelce and Kittle play, you would know they’re elite blockers.

Kittle has blocked edge rushers this year better than Cam Robinson. 

Sad

If we had Oshaugnessy , Chark and Westbrook would have some more open lanes.

I’m not entirely convinced that TE or WR is more
Important than our need for DT, S, LB, CB, OT

If both Bouye and Campbell go we’re going to have a TON of needs on D

(12-23-2019, 04:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: This discussion just shows how much we need to clean house.  Reason being, it's pretty obvious that we cannot fill all our holes in one offseason.  So we're going to have a lame-duck coaching staff out there trying like crazy to get more wins when in fact what they should be doing is building the team and developing the younger players.   We are going to need patience to get this team back to the playoffs, but the coaches will have no patience at all.  They'll be thinking short-term, coaching for their jobs, which is not what we are going to need next year.

But what if they are going to get the remainder of their contract (2021 - 3 Year in 2018)?

Seriously what is it with this team and handing out contracts to the wrong people.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

It does not matter who plays QB, RB or receiver if the O-Line is not much improved. This team has had to win despite the o-line for the last few years. It took this years version of line to get our QB knocked out in one quarter. The only big plays our rookie QB has made are off schedule ones. You do not win consistently like that. A lot of pressure is put on your defense and it wears down as the year progresses because of that. Until the O-line is solved it really doesn't matter who the skill players are....
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2019, 01:17 AM by JagJohn.)

(12-23-2019, 04:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: This discussion just shows how much we need to clean house.  Reason being, it's pretty obvious that we cannot fill all our holes in one offseason.  So we're going to have a lame-duck coaching staff out there trying like crazy to get more wins when in fact what they should be doing is building the team and developing the younger players.   We are going to need patience to get this team back to the playoffs, but the coaches will have no patience at all.  They'll be thinking short-term, coaching for their jobs, which is not what we are going to need next year.

Completely agree. I can just see Marrone and Caldwell retained with added pressure to have a successful year next year, and the roster being band-aided with whatever we can afford to try and patch holes, and the whole thing going south very quickly. Clear house, rebuild around the good young players we do have and try to start something long term...

Come has played himself back into the offense. He seems like the dropsies are in the past. He plays hard and there’s one thing he possesses that all the others don’t have....pure speed.

Chark is a WR2 who is playing above his weight class so to speak. But he’s just not a 1300-1500 yard guy. He’s more like a Reggie Williams to me. Puts points on the board but not enough yards to be that go to guy.

Let’s see what he can do with a full year with 1 QB. Who knows?

(12-24-2019, 04:42 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Come has played himself back into the offense. He seems like the dropsies are in the past. He plays hard and there’s one thing he possesses that all the others don’t have....pure speed.

Chark is a WR2 who is playing above his weight class so to speak. But he’s just not a 1300-1500 yard guy. He’s more like a Reggie Williams to me. Puts points on the board but not enough yards to be that go to guy.

He's been a WR1 this season despite dreadful offensive and poor QB play over the 2nd half of the year.

(12-24-2019, 04:42 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Come has played himself back into the offense. He seems like the dropsies are in the past. He plays hard and there’s one thing he possesses that all the others don’t have....pure speed.

You're kidding me.  What have you been watching?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Chark - #1 WR, has everything you want: Size, Speed, Hops, Hands, tenacity etc.
Westbrook - Ideally a slot WR or really good #3, I just don't buy him in the #2 role, he's going to command more $$$ than he's worth and he's been nicked up and had some inconsistencies
Lee - Should be Cut, costs too much $$$
Cole - Good depth, ideal #4 WR, will likely get more $$ elsewhere rather than resign here for a depth role
Conley - Solid 2/3 guy, I think he's better than Westbrook but that's not saying much, he really stepped up with Chark out

Honestly, besides Chark I think we should look to the draft to find a "Robin" to Chark's "Batman". I don't think any of the other receivers on this roster are all that and rather than overpay them, why not get a bunch of hungry young guys with talent in to compete for the Z & Y spots?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-23-2019, 01:31 AM)Jag149 Wrote: We had a receiver like that...ran him off, he plays in Chicago now. They are happy with him

But if we signed Robinson, we would have most likely had to depart ways with Bortles at the time.  

#WorstTeamOfTheDecadeByFar

(12-23-2019, 10:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 10:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Someone above called Westbrook legit. Good Lord, talk about teal colored glasses.

If by some miracle Jeudy is there, you grab him.

Westbrook is a good #2 receiver at the Z position. 

He's playing hurt and being utilized poorly.  I'm looking beyond his current injury, implementation, and a few dropped passes  -  but I'm analyzing his overall body of work objectively and I have read similar takes from national pundits who don't regularly report on the Jaguars. It's not an uncommon or teal-shaded opinion.

I already pointed out to you in another thread how he gets separation on par with the best receivers in the league after you ignorantly claimed otherwise.

Hahahaha people still believe Westbrook is good? xD

Dede is a decent #3 at best, the guy is probably leading the team in drops.

Conley>>>>>>>>Westbrook.