Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What about Mike McCarthy as HC

I like him asan option for the new HC whether we keep Caldwell or not.  Thoughts?

Wikipedia link to his career.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McC..._football)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m sure will gain new insights and learn many new things in this thread that we haven’t gotten out of the five thousand others about McCarthy

Sry to waste your time bub, havent seen any recently or on this go around discussed. Now wander back to the roman thread that seems to be in your good graces.

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM by Caldrac.)

Threw his name out last month. Depending on who you are. You either:

A. Think he's a good Superbowl winning coach with an understanding of offense who made Favre better and turned Flynn into an all star for one game.

Or. . .

B. He owes all of his success to Aaron Rodgers despite being 28 - 27 without him. And Rodgers known for being a self centered [BLEEP] but that was all McCarthy's fault.

I wouldn't mind this hiring. I really wouldn't. At this point I am hoping for a combination of things.

Either Mike Borgonzi as the GM and Eric Bieniemy as the HC from the Chiefs. Or George Paton as the GM and Kevin Stefanski as the HC from the Vikings. Those would be my top two hires at the moment.

Both groups can build an offense. Fix an offense. Balance an offense. I think both groups would also be willing to work with Foles and Minshew in 2020 provided they can find a QB in 2021 if neither of those guys catch fire their first year together.

Again, nothing new to these groups. Alex Smith to Patrick Mahomes. Case Keenum to Kirk Cousins. These guys can handle a QB situation. Defensive hire and staffing will be key with the HC of course. But. I like these groups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I am all for bringing in an offensive minded hc as we seem to be striking out with the defensive hc hires. God knows what Marrone even falls under, I guesse he would actually be considered on the offensive side but you sure wouldnt know it.

No re-treads.

Mike Leach

(12-03-2019, 08:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Threw his name out last month. Depending on who you are. You either:

A. Think he's a good Superbowl winning coach with an understanding of offense who made Favre better and turned Flynn into an all star for one game.

Or. . .

B. He owes all of his success to Aaron Rodgers despite being 28 - 27 without him. And Rodgers known for being a self centered [BLEEP] but that was all McCarthy's fault.

I wouldn't mind this hiring. I really wouldn't. At this point I am hoping for a combination of things.

Either Mike Borgonzi as the GM and Eric Bieniemy as the HC from the Chiefs. Or George Paton as the GM and Kevin Stefanski as the HC from the Vikings. Those would be my top two hires at the moment.

Both groups can build an offense. Fix an offense. Balance an offense. I think both groups would also be willing to work with Foles and Minshew in 2020 provided they can find a QB in 2021 if neither of those guys catch fire their first year together.

Again, nothing new to these groups. Alex Smith to Patrick Mahomes. Case Keenum to Kirk Cousins. These guys can handle a QB situation. Defensive hire and staffing will be key with the HC of course. But. I like these groups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This...this is a rational and well thought out breakdown.  I like it. I'm familiar with Bieniemy but not too much with Stefanski.  Thanks for bringing new names into the conversation.  It gives me some research to do.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

No
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

McCarthy is a good leader, if he can get a top tier staff in here that can develop talent, I'd be OK with it. Would I be super excited? Meh, retreads are 50/50 but he's not the worst coach we could bring in.

I'm leaning a bit more towards the team finding a coach that wants to work with Minshew and has a great understanding of modern NFL offenses.

(12-05-2019, 06:20 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: McCarthy is a good leader, if he can get a top tier staff in here that can develop talent, I'd be OK with it. Would I be super excited? Meh, retreads are 50/50 but he's not the worst coach we could bring in.

I'm leaning a bit more towards the team finding a coach that wants to work with Minshew and has a great understanding of modern NFL offenses.

He isn't my first choice but I don't understand the "hate" of the idea.
He's got a 135–85–2 record. And ultimately flamed out in GB because he and his superstar veteran highly paid QB didn't see eye to eye.

With a young Minshew, he'd probably do really well for us.

However... If we get a guy like Roman perhaps he has a more modern offense for Minshew or perhaps for Justin Fields if we're drafting high in 2021.

I still like the idea of Bienemy from KC.
And I'm big on the idea of bringing Louis Riddick in as GM (though from what I've read, he may lean toward Josh McDaniels as HC)

Recently I heard from Dominque Foxworth on Get Up that Rich Franklin would be a good coach for how well he did at Vandy and then how he rebuilt Penn St post JoePa.
I wouldn't hate that idea necessarily but he doesn't exactly scream "modern day NFL offense" either.

Well it sure wouldnt hurt to get a proven winner in here for once. Have we ever even done that. So a retread like andy reid if thats a retread ill take it. Get a proven nfl winner wouldnt hurt my feelings. I dont get the hate either. Imo we should be so lucky.

Rivera would possibly be interesting also. Again proven winners.

Or we could just continue sucking.

Welp, there goes a possible Jaguars HC candidate

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2836...d-panthers

"I've looked at every team in the league and their commitment to analytics, and football technology and video," McCarthy told NFL.com. "Because everybody has analytics, but it has to be part of your everyday operation to show up on Sundays." -Mike McCarthy quote from the article about him interviewing for the Panthers.

Considering Tony Khan is coming back to take a more involved role (and he's OBSESSED with analytics etc.) I think the writing on the wall is there that McCarthy is the guy Khan has in mind.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-24-2019, 10:14 AM)Firesky Wrote: "I've looked at every team in the league and their commitment to analytics, and football technology and video," McCarthy told NFL.com. "Because everybody has analytics, but it has to be part of your everyday operation to show up on Sundays." -Mike McCarthy quote from the article about him interviewing for the Panthers.

Considering Tony Khan is coming back to take a more involved role (and he's OBSESSED with analytics etc.) I think the writing on the wall is there that McCarthy is the guy Khan has in mind.

All reports are Marrone is staying so far

(12-24-2019, 10:23 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 10:14 AM)Firesky Wrote: "I've looked at every team in the league and their commitment to analytics, and football technology and video," McCarthy told NFL.com. "Because everybody has analytics, but it has to be part of your everyday operation to show up on Sundays." -Mike McCarthy quote from the article about him interviewing for the Panthers.

All reports are Marrone is staying so far

Reports by whom though? Ian Rappaport?

ehhh

if they suck real bad vs the clots, I could see the sweeping changes we all hope for

(12-24-2019, 12:58 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 10:23 AM)JackCity Wrote: All reports are Marrone is staying so far

Reports by whom though? Ian Rappaport?

ehhh

if they suck real bad vs the clots, I could see the sweeping changes we all hope for

No just all local guys have said they're pretty certain he's coming back.

I'll be extremely happy if that's not the case, just not holding out hope for now

Nitpicking here, but Tony Khan isn't "coming back."  He lives in downtown Jacksonville where he has offices downtown and at the stadium. He does most of his business from there, be it with the Jags, AEW, or Fulham. He never "went anywhere" and has been very visibly involved in the Jags operation this entire season.  

McCarthy's comments and TK's analytics do make for an interesting discussion at the very least.

Welp he is good enough for Dallas. Oh no not good enough for us though. Be interesting to see how that works out.

(01-07-2020, 12:17 AM)surfon Wrote: Welp he is good enough for Dallas.  Oh no not good enough for us though.  Be interesting to see how that works out.

We fire Doug.
We offer McCarthy the job.
At the same time, Jerruh offers McCarthy his job.
Which do you HONESTLY think he picks?

Come on. A realist knew he was never an option here, unless we were going to offer double any other offer out there.