Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What is wrong with Cam Robinson?
Slow feet and poor technique, unsuited to play LT
Coming off ACL surgery, needs another year to get to speed
He's slowly getting there, give it time
Bad coaching and development is to blame
Blank #2
Corn
[Show Results]

Cameron D. Robinson

His injury could be holding back his development.

That being said, we should bring in a starting caliber LT and let them compete for the starting position this off season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-06-2020, 03:55 PM)Predator Wrote: His injury could be holding back his development.

That being said, we should bring in a starting caliber LT and let them compete for the starting position this off season.

This is basically where I am on this. 

I was optimistic he'd improve after his rookie season and he really hasn't.  While I don't blame his poor play on the injury, it is very possible his potential improvement is being limited by the injury AND by elements of coaching. 

I definitely would prefer to add to the pool of talent up front and let the chips fall where they may with the best five guys out there at whichever position they can win the start.  (opposed to just giving Cam another year)

Our record with and without Cam Robinson in the lineup (way more of a disparity prior to this year but it still holds) is telling. He's a middle of the pack left tackle but a good road grader in the run game. The ACL tear really set him back, especially at his position that can't be ignored, If the OT from UGA (Thomas) is available I'd say take him and let Taylor/Robinson compete for the RT job with the loser sliding to Guard. I think that Cam deserves the opportunity to compete for the LT job, but the team as a whole may be better off if we upgrade that spot and slide Cam to LG. I think Cam has probowl potential at Guard, his run blocking is stellar and his issues in pass protection only come when he's out in space against speed rushers, playing inside really limits the amount of times he'll have to deal with that and puts him in the best position to succeed.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-06-2020, 04:53 PM)Firesky Wrote: Our record with and without Cam Robinson in the lineup (way more of a disparity prior to this year but it still holds) is telling. He's a middle of the pack left tackle but a good road grader in the run game. The ACL tear really set him back, especially at his position that can't be ignored, If the OT from UGA (Thomas) is available I'd say take him and let Taylor/Robinson compete for the RT job with the loser sliding to Guard. I think that Cam deserves the opportunity to compete for the LT job, but the team as a whole may be better off if we upgrade that spot and slide Cam to LG. I think Cam has probowl potential at Guard, his run blocking is stellar and his issues in pass protection only come when he's out in space against speed rushers, playing inside really limits the amount of times he'll have to deal with that and puts him in the best position to succeed.

Agreed on the bolded. Tried to lay that out in another thread when asked why he may be a better guard.

What once looked like a promising player hasn't really progressed whatsoever. Times up. 

Also, I don't believe he was healthy week 1 but he certainly had to be healthy by December and he didn't really look better and might have been worse.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 07:00 PM by ATLjag.)

I would be more inclined to ride another year with Cam and the last of his rookie cap figure of $2.2m, and hope better coaching, another year removed from the injury, contract year motivation, or some combination thereof gives us better performance. With the high draft capital, I would rather see it used to fix the core of the defense, specifically run-oriented defense, first.

I'm not worried about Cam at LT. I think he is, at worst, an average tackle - and at best, a phenomenal player.

I think the injury derailed him a bit and the rest of the offensive line being so inept really magnified things even worse.

I'm more concerned with our interior o-line...

(01-07-2020, 01:02 AM)enigma Wrote: I'm not worried about Cam at LT. I think he is, at worst, an average tackle - and at best, a phenomenal player.

I think the injury derailed him a bit and the rest of the offensive line being so inept really magnified things even worse.

I'm more concerned with our interior o-line...

I'm just worried that he'll have a good enough year at LT this year that we overpay him and then we're stuck with a Norwell type situation but at OT
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2020, 09:55 AM by The Real Marty.)

My answer to the poll would be "all of the above."

I guess technically "all of the above" would include "blank #2" and "corn" but what the heck.  I'll include those, too.

I’d rather have a 4th year Cam Robinson than a rookie.

I guess I don't see what others see in him. Aside from his run blocking, I haven't seen anything of significance from him. I thought he was bad his rookie season, and I don't think much else has changed. Like others have said, I do believe he'd do better inside, and as bad as the line has been, I don't think there's any harm in trying him out there.

If we were an old-school, three yards and a cloud of dust team, in a three yards and a cloud of dust league, Cam would be an all-pro.

I think you can only go so far with coaching, reps and training. At some point, you reach the peak of your ability. Cam is best suited to downhill blocking. The injury may have impacted him some this season, but I don't think he'll ever be confused with some of the giants of the pass blocking linemen in the league today.

Honestly, had we not grabbed Taylor last year, I suspected Cam would prove very good at RT. Others have called for him to slide in to play LG, and again, he'd probably do well there.

Maybe it's our expectations are the only thing wrong.

Some of you same guys wanted McGough back after the preseason and put Minshew on the practice squad.

Cam tore his ACL and made it in time for week 1. I’m sticking with a young veteran over a rookie unless it’s Tony Boselli, Orlando Pace, or Ogden.

I’m not even worried about LT, RT, C at this point. Norwell has packed it in after his payday.

I think we need to upgrade both Guards.

I agree Robinson would probably make a better guard.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2020, 10:52 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(01-07-2020, 11:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I agree Robinson would probably make a better guard.

When I start thinking of moving players around to different positions, I try to remind myself the coaches see these guys everyday and know where they should be. 

Most of us thought Joeckel was playing better at Guard and then he ended up not being on the team.

Cam might struggle at pulling?

(01-09-2020, 10:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 11:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I agree Robinson would probably make a better guard.

When I start thinking of moving players around to different positions, I try to remind myself the coaches see these guys everyday and know where they should be. 

Most of us thought Joeckel was playing better at Guard and then he ended up not being on the team.

Athleticism is important for any offensive line position.  It's hardly a given that if Cam doesn't have the athleticism for LT, that he would have the athleticism for OG.  OG isn't just a big old slug that shoves people around, and OG certainly isn't just a failed OT.   Some people in this thread have way too much faith that Cam can just slide over to guard and he'll be okay.  I envy these teams that have great guards like Quentin Nelson.  And I hate it when people act like guard is a throwaway position, as if anyone can play guard, or that you just grab a guy in the 4th round and everything will be great.  That's how you get AJ Cann and Will Richardson.

(01-10-2020, 07:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 10:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: When I start thinking of moving players around to different positions, I try to remind myself the coaches see these guys everyday and know where they should be. 

Athleticism is important for any offensive line position.  It's hardly a given that if Cam doesn't have the athleticism for LT, that he would have the athleticism for OG.  OG isn't just a big old slug that shoves people around, and OG certainly isn't just a failed OT.   Some people in this thread have way too much faith that Cam can just slide over to guard and he'll be okay.  I envy these teams that have great guards like Quentin Nelson.  And I hate it when people act like guard is a throwaway position, as if anyone can play guard, or that you just grab a guy in the 4th round and everything will be great.  That's how you get AJ Cann and Will Richardson.

It's not a "simple move. 

It's not automatic. 

They are two distinctly different positions. 

Yet - it is a common switch. Because it is indeed do-able for a healthy number of tackles. 

A couple of obvious examples who started as tackles and had productive careers at guard are TJ Lang and Kelechi Osemele. Again - not automatic - but it happens pretty regularly. 
 Is Cam a good candidate for the move?  Not sure - but I'd like to give him competition at LT and find out.

FWIW - In the past week on local radio - Leon Searcy has expressed skepticism about Cam's body type excelling at guard - while Lageman has encouraged competition at LT and expressed that Cam might make the switch successfully like many others before him have.

(01-15-2020, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: FWIW -  In the past week on local radio  - Leon Searcy has expressed skepticism about Cam's body type excelling at guard - while Lageman has encouraged competition at LT and expressed that Cam might make the switch successfully like many others before him have.

If an OT is there that can take the job, the move should be made. But we shouldn't reach for LT, imo.
If we somehow land Thomas and move Cam to OG, he has a one year try out there. If he doesn't work he's gone and a guard can be had in the next draft or FA.

I think it is relative to how the draft falls. If Thomas is gone, maybe we concentrate on fixing the interior and readdress LT next year.

(01-15-2020, 11:04 AM)Kane Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: FWIW -  In the past week on local radio  - Leon Searcy has expressed skepticism about Cam's body type excelling at guard - while Lageman has encouraged competition at LT and expressed that Cam might make the switch successfully like many others before him have.

If an OT is there that can take the job, the move should be made. But we shouldn't reach for LT, imo.
If we somehow land Thomas and move Cam to OG, he has a one year try out there. If he doesn't work he's gone and a guard can be had in the next draft or FA.

I think it is relative to how the draft falls. If Thomas is gone, maybe we concentrate on fixing the interior and readdress LT next year.

I'd rather not get Minshew killed because his left tackle can't block for [BLEEP].