Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lamping: "We've done a crappy job of winning"

Lamping is not wrong.  It sounds like he may have been the voice in the building lobbying for change.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...of-winning
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020, 12:50 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Lamping has the hardest job in the front office, marketing the worst team of the decade.  Kind of like being a sales person for the Boeing 737 Max.

(01-15-2020, 12:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lamping has the hardest job in the front office, marketing the worst team of the decade.  Kind of like being a sales person for the Boeing Max 8

The Jaguars, like the 737 MAX, have a well-documented history of crashing and burning.

"Our on-the-field performances have been so bad, I just don't want it to shade the conversation to such a degree that that's the only thing people focus on," Lamping said. "We're really fortunate to have a really wealthy person who owns the Jaguars that feels like helping turnaround downtown Jacksonville is a noble goal."

Rolleyes

He's right ^

(01-15-2020, 12:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: "Our on-the-field performances have been so bad, I just don't want it to shade the conversation to such a degree that that's the only thing people focus on," Lamping said. "We're really fortunate to have a really wealthy person who owns the Jaguars that feels like helping turnaround downtown Jacksonville is a noble goal."

Rolleyes

He's right ^

A true zinger from a man who gets it.

Pretty illogical stance from Lamping if he thinks one winning year can accurately represent the market at its peak

I know Lamping has heard from some fans about not renewing. He has a direct line to Khan, so I would hope he is letting him know something has to change or there will be no fans.

Lot J will be all nice and shiny while the stadium will be an empty trash can with no fans there.

(01-15-2020, 12:32 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 12:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lamping has the hardest job in the front office, marketing the worst team of the decade.  Kind of like being a sales person for the Boeing 737 MAX

The Jaguars, like the 737 MAX, have a well-documented history of crashing and burning.

Thanks for the clarification (737 Max vs the Max 8).   I updated accordingly.  Yep, we spiral downward and our pilots have no idea how to remedy the issues.

(01-15-2020, 12:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty illogical stance from Lamping if he thinks one winning year can accurately represent the market at its peak

I think he's simply referring to the potential of this market compared to other NFL markets. And more specifically why they need to continue efforts for additional revenue streams to make the Jaguars revenue comparable to the league average.

He's just promoting the need for the downtown development around the stadium and sowing the seeds for the two games in London - all while reminding us that some owners would simply look to move to a larger market opposed to cultivating and augmenting the current one.

Brent Martineau on the radio yesterday described growing up in Boston and how the Patriots were just another bad team in an old stadium. Then he went on to explain how a new owner, a new stadium and some guy named Brady turned things around in about a five year period. He said Foxboro, which he described as once the armpit of New England, is now a tourist destination.

Granted, we don’t have a new stadium (yet) and Tom Brady, but we have a really rich guy who’s willing to put up the capital to get things moving and a talented QB who looks to be the face of the franchise. Let’s appreciate the fortunes we have now and build on them. Abandoning the team because of a grievance of coaching staff (which took us to the cusp of the Super Bowl just two years ago) only undermines our goal. The NE dynasty didn’t happen overnight. Our road is a little longer and a little bumpier because of our size and location, but we have the real potential to be Dolphins-like in our Florida branding. All you have to do is see the outreach extended towards Minshew on his cross-country trip to see we have our own redneck Marino. 

Stay the course and keep the faith, I say.

No [BLEEP]..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-15-2020, 02:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Brent Martineau on the radio yesterday described growing up in Boston and how the Patriots were just another bad team in an old stadium. Then he went on to explain how a new owner, a new stadium and some guy named Brady turned things around in about a five year period. He said Foxboro, which he described as once the armpit of New England, is now a tourist destination.

Granted, we don’t have a new stadium (yet) and Tom Brady, but we have a really rich guy who’s willing to put up the capital to get things moving and a talented QB who looks to be the face of the franchise. Let’s appreciate the fortunes we have now and build on them. Abandoning the team because of a grievance of coaching staff (which took us to the cusp of the Super Bowl just two years ago) only undermines our goal. The NE dynasty didn’t happen overnight. Our road is a little longer and a little bumpier because of our size and location, but we have the real potential to be Dolphins-like in our Florida branding. All you have to do is see the outreach extended towards Minshew on his cross-country trip to see we have our own redneck Marino. 

What Marineau failed to point out is that Shad Khan (and Wayne Weaver) have always been very cheap in paying coaches and GMs.  Look at our history.  The Jags have always been at the very bottom pay scale (Del Rio, Mularkey, Bradley, Marrone /// Shack Harris, Gene Smith, Dave Caldwell).  As you can see, we've pretty much always gone with the non-proven coach and gm and kept our starting pay around $3m when other teams paid $7m

(01-15-2020, 02:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 02:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Brent Martineau on the radio yesterday described growing up in Boston and how the Patriots were just another bad team in an old stadium. Then he went on to explain how a new owner, a new stadium and some guy named Brady turned things around in about a five year period. He said Foxboro, which he described as once the armpit of New England, is now a tourist destination.

What Marineau failed to point out is that Shad Khan (and Wayne Weaver) have always been very cheap in paying coaches and GMs.  Look at our history.  The Jags have always been at the very bottom pay scale (Del Rio, Mularkey, Bradley, Marrone /// Shack Harris, Gene Smith, Dave Caldwell).  As you can see, we've pretty much always gone with the non-proven coach and gm and kept our starting pay around $3m when other teams paid $7m

Belichick was proven when he went to NE?
And quite honestly, I have no idea how much we pay our staff compared to other teams.

(01-15-2020, 12:46 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I know Lamping has heard from some fans about not renewing. He has a direct line to Khan, so I would hope he is letting him know something has to change or there will be no fans.

Lot J will be all nice and shiny while the stadium will be an empty trash can with no fans there.

This is backwards. The people that will be there are the fans.

The ones that are not and are able? Not so much.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-15-2020, 03:02 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 12:46 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I know Lamping has heard from some fans about not renewing. He has a direct line to Khan, so I would hope he is letting him know something has to change or there will be no fans.

This is backwards. The people that will be there are the fans.

You are saying that someone who has had season tickets for 25 years and gone to all the games is not a fan if they don't want to keep going? Khan may a statement that he was holding everyone accountable and nothing changed. Now I'm supposed to keep giving him money and go to games where we know going in they are going to lose?

(01-15-2020, 03:09 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:02 PM)Jagwired Wrote: This is backwards. The people that will be there are the fans.

You are saying that someone who has had season tickets for 25 years and gone to all the games is not a fan if they don't want to keep going? Khan may a statement that he was holding everyone accountable and nothing changed. Now I'm supposed to keep giving him money and go to games where we know going in they are going to lose?

You are not supposed to do anything. Do what you like. But Yes, if you choose not to go back and you can you have to turn in your fan card or at least change the status to fair weather. It's in the rules man.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-15-2020, 03:28 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:09 PM)p_rushing Wrote: You are saying that someone who has had season tickets for 25 years and gone to all the games is not a fan if they don't want to keep going? Khan may a statement that he was holding everyone accountable and nothing changed. Now I'm supposed to keep giving him money and go to games where we know going in they are going to lose?

You are not supposed to do anything. Do what you like. But Yes, if you choose not to go back and you can you have to turn in your fan card or at least change the status to fair weather. It's in the rules man.

I have had people tell me in so many words, "Although I can afford it, I don't go to the games or watch them on TV anymore. I also don't buy any Jags gear but I will talk about the team sometimes when I feel like complaining or when I'm rooting for them to lose so all the coaches get fired. And screw the owner. I'm a huge fan though."
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-15-2020, 02:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 02:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: What Marineau failed to point out is that Shad Khan (and Wayne Weaver) have always been very cheap in paying coaches and GMs.  Look at our history.  The Jags have always been at the very bottom pay scale (Del Rio, Mularkey, Bradley, Marrone /// Shack Harris, Gene Smith, Dave Caldwell).  As you can see, we've pretty much always gone with the non-proven coach and gm and kept our starting pay around $3m when other teams paid $7m

Belichick was proven when he went to NE?
And quite honestly, I have no idea how much we pay our staff compared to other teams.

Yeah, he had a 36-44 record and 1 winning season with the browns over 5 years. He certainly wasn’t a proven coach at the time of his hiring in NE.

(01-15-2020, 03:39 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:28 PM)Jagwired Wrote: You are not supposed to do anything. Do what you like. But Yes, if you choose not to go back and you can you have to turn in your fan card or at least change the status to fair weather. It's in the rules man.

I have had people tell me in so many words, "Although I can afford it, I don't go to the games or watch them on TV anymore. I also don't buy any Jags gear but I will talk about the team sometimes when I feel like complaining or when I'm rooting for them to lose so all the coaches get fired. And screw the owner. I'm a huge fan though."

Lol.  I think there's a middle ground between not renewing season tickets and never watching or supporting the team.  And those people in the middle are still fans.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-15-2020, 04:17 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:39 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I have had people tell me in so many words, "Although I can afford it, I don't go to the games or watch them on TV anymore. I also don't buy any Jags gear but I will talk about the team sometimes when I feel like complaining or when I'm rooting for them to lose so all the coaches get fired. And screw the owner. I'm a huge fan though."

Lol.  I think there's a middle ground between not renewing season tickets and never watching or supporting the team.  And those people in the middle are still fans.

Agreed. ;-)
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.