Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hall of Fame (merged threads)

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM by rpr52121.)

(02-06-2019, 05:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 04:11 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: What do y'all think on the HOF worthiness of Fred Taylor or Jimmy Smith?

I think Fred’s numbers may become viable as fewer and fewer get the chance to carry the ball that many times in a career.
TC’s reluctance to give him the rock in the red zone may hold him back. 
Talent wise he’s as deserving as running backs can be. 

Jimmy , I’d have to review the numbers a bit.

If you look at Jimmy's numbers for all WR pre-2006 and he basically has the same "flaws" as Fred. Too few TD's. Didn't lead the league in yards/TD in any one year, and too few Pro-bowls/All-Pros. Only additional issue is the off-field stuff. 

http://pfref.com/tiny/82mRX

The thing that annoys me so much is how often analysts and voters use the line "how this player affect the history of football" or "can we tell the story of football without him" because that is so ridiculous.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-06-2019, 07:30 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 05:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think Fred’s numbers may become viable as fewer and fewer get the chance to carry the ball that many times in a career.
TC’s reluctance to give him the rock in the red zone may hold him back. 
Talent wise he’s as deserving as running backs can be. 

Jimmy , I’d have to review the numbers a bit.

If you look at Jimmy's numbers for all WR pre-2006 and he basically has the same "flaws" as Fred. Too few TD's. Didn't lead the league in yards/TD in any one year, and too few Pro-bowls/All-Pros. Only additional issue is the off-field stuff. 

http://pfref.com/tiny/82mRX

The thing that annoys me so much is how often analysts and voters use the line "how this player affect the history of football" or "can we tell the story of football without him" because that is so ridiculous.

Basically only Super Bowl players and large market teams will count with that criteria.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Sorry Tony. not again this year.
Perhaps it is the person you have presenting you.
SPOILER ALERT: It is

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 05:26 PM by Upper.)

I think that, much like in the Eli debate in the other forum, there are a lot of people who lean on the FAME part of the HoF. If you want a hall that is full of the guys that you just can't tell the story of the NFL without, then Tony doesn't deserve in. It's extremely easy to tell the story of the NFL without him or any other Jaguar thus far.

However, if you flat out want the best players of all time to be in the hall then Boselli should easily get in. As should Fred. I firmly belong in this camp.

#BecauseJaguars
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

If I was him, I wouldn’t go anymore. Such bs... it’s becoming a joke now.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Troy p. Gets in before tony is a joke
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Edgerrin James before Tony B is laughable.

Seeing on twitter a few places where people are saying that Sam Kouvaris isn't doing Boselli any favors. Suppose I'm not sure how theHOF process works but it sounds as though someone makes a case for each player? And Sam is presenting the case for Boselli? And some are saying Sam isn't doing a good enough job? If all true, wonder where that information is coming from.

(02-01-2020, 11:37 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Seeing on twitter a few places where people are saying that Sam Kouvaris isn't doing Boselli any favors.  Suppose I'm not sure how theHOF  process works but it sounds as though someone makes a case for each player?  And Sam is presenting the case for Boselli?  And some are saying Sam isn't doing a good enough job?  If all true, wonder where that information is coming from.

Yes every candidate has a person make a presentation for them to the voters. Sam has been Tonys one multiple times and apparently isn't very good at, albeit Vito said this year's one was apparently good. 

But also the voters have already decided the longevity is too big of a barrier + the fact he plays for Jacksonville hurts massively so it's not just about how good your presentation is. If Tony played for the Steelers or Packers you can bet your bottom dollar he's in. 

The longevity being held against him is dumb as he made an all decade team. Im of the opinion that ALL players who make an all decade team should be automatically in + they should put 10 players in every year as there's already a big backlog of deserving guys

(02-01-2020, 10:21 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Troy p. Gets in before tony is a joke

I'd take 10 years of Troy P over just less than 6 years of Tony B any day.

Troy P was a big time difference maker and the 2nd best at his position for a decade of football.  Heck, I'd take Faneca's 206 games over Tony's 91 games.  Having a cornerstone at a single position for a 13 seasons is the key to long term success.

(02-02-2020, 12:03 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 11:37 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Seeing on twitter a few places where people are saying that Sam Kouvaris isn't doing Boselli any favors.  Suppose I'm not sure how theHOF  process works but it sounds as though someone makes a case for each player?  And Sam is presenting the case for Boselli?  And some are saying Sam isn't doing a good enough job?  If all true, wonder where that information is coming from.

Yes every candidate has a person make a presentation for them to the voters. Sam has been Tonys one multiple times and apparently isn't very good at, albeit Vito said this year's one was apparently good. 

But also the voters have already decided the longevity is too big of a barrier + the fact he plays for Jacksonville hurts massively so it's not just about how good your presentation is. If Tony played for the Steelers or Packers you can bet your bottom dollar he's in. 

The longevity being held against him is dumb as he made an all decade team. Im of the opinion that ALL players who make an all decade team should be automatically in + they should put 10 players in every year as there's already a big backlog of deserving guys

"But also the voters have already decided the longevity is too big of a barrier + the fact he plays for Jacksonville hurts massively so it's not just about how good your presentation is. If Tony played for the Steelers or Packers you can bet your bottom dollar he's in."

You are correct.  If he played on a West Coast or North East team he would be in.

(02-02-2020, 12:03 AM)JackCity Wrote: Yes every candidate has a person make a presentation for them to the voters. Sam has been Tonys one multiple times and apparently isn't very good at, albeit Vito said this year's one was apparently good. 

Interesting. Suppose that makes sense as it can be hard to know the real impact of a past player especially for positions where there are no relevant stats.

So doing a little more digging I didnt realize it was random members of the media in nfl towns that were voters. No "football experts" who played or coached in the game. Just media members.  Somehow this guy is a voter....

https://twitter.com/ScottGShow1057/statu...05379?s=19

No wonder you need someone to make a case for each player. Half these guys probably havent heard of half the players in the league and couldn't tell you who the best players are without a stat sheet and nfl coaching staffs telling them.

Yea maybe they do need to replace Sam. Good Lord that's a boring sell.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballHOF/statu...28640?s=19

I'm sure there is more to the presentation we arent seeing but maybe the argument should be how great he was. And less focus on the short career.

The team hitting the playoffs once a decade is doing no favors for anyone that wants a hall bid. We are going to be a trivia answer again. Which NFL team has never played a Thanksgiving game? Which team has never been in a super bowl? Which team has no one in the HOF?

Until this team can be talked about on the field, we aren't getting squat off the field. It would be great to break out the disrespect discussion but what has this franchise done since 1999 for their team?

Sure sure Del Rio had some good defenses with notable players but is was nothing like the early franchise days. I love this team but it is a challenge and a life lesson. Stay committed to your team even when they are awful.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Find out who the voters are.

Do not visit their sites or subscribe to their publications as long as Tony is not in.

Do not go to the HOF. Do not buy any NFL-licensed merch. If Sam can't make a convincing case for him, maybe the fans can.

the Hall of the Recognizable and its poor excuses for voters can kiss my backside.

The thing that gets me about Tony, and im not hating on ANYONE getting in...is Terrell Davis. Terrell Davis had three great years. THREE. Out of a seven year career. His last THREE years equated to ONE full season plus one game. Out of those THREE great years, he averaged 1765 yards, 16TDs and won the MVP once, Super Bowl TWICE and NFL Offensive Player of the Year twice. Of course, one of those years was the monster 2K year he put up. He was a 3x Pro Bowl and 3x All Pro. Whoever presented his case sold the HELL out of him. Numbers compared, you know who had a similar career? Jamal Lewis: Ran for over 2K one season, Offensive Player of the Year, Super Bowl Champ, All Pro....but he had LONGEVITY. Ran for 295 in ONE game. Over 10K career rushing yards....in 9 seasons. Missed one year due to injury. SEVEN 1K seasons, compared to TD's FOUR. You mean to tell me TD is a HOF'er and Jamal Lewis is buying a ticket? I understand TD was the engine of that offense....but building a HOF case off a four year career? Man....the guy that presented that case could sell crap to a toilet.

Chris Johnson: NFL record for yards from scrimmage in a season. 2K season. One time All Pro, 3X Pro Bowl. 9.5K yards in a career. Played 10 years. 6 1K seasons. NFL Records for TD runs over 8 yards (6) and 85 (4).

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Tony has 4 major things against him. Those being he had a short career, played for a small market, never won SB, and played an unpopular position to fans.

Not sure he will ever get in, he needed a long run like what Joe Thomas had for the Browns. No doubt in my mind he SHOULD get in, but who knows at this point.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 02:06 PM by NCJag.)

(02-03-2020, 01:51 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Tony has 4 major things against him. Those being he had a short career, played for a small market, never won SB, and played an unpopular position to fans.

Not sure he will ever get in, he needed a long run like what Joe Thomas had for the Browns. No doubt in my mind he SHOULD get in, but who knows at this point.

Looks like the same four things that went against Kenny Easley (other than small market).  It took him thirty years to get into the HOF.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 06:25 AM by Andy G.)

I'm starting to wonder what odds you'd get on Jalen Ramsey being the first Jaguar to make the Hall of Fame.

I don't know who Boselli will be up against next year, but there's obviously no guarantee he will get in eventually.

And if Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor are seen as being less likely candidates, we could be waiting a while.

Jalen might not have the career numbers yet (and he's only had one good season) but he gets a lot of publicity and is the sort of "famous" figure the voters will probably love. If whatever team he's with next make the superbowl, don't bet against it.