Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville losing 2 home games in 2020 to London

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 07:21 PM by WingerDinger.)

Spoke to a @Jaguars source today who wanted to make it clear: The extra London game is about maximizing revenue which goes toward building a top of the line downtown stadium experience in Jacksonville long term

Trey Wingo

I'll believe it when I see it
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: Star_Trek_Wrath_of_Khan_Shatner_yell-1.jpg]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I say we all just see where it all goes. Saying [BLEEP] it simply makes the move more inevitable. And if they do move, while we continue to support (or not), then we lose something that each of us holds dear; but beyond our control. I'm still pulling for Minshew to blow up the league with Chark and Dede. Hopefully, we can sign Yan and keep Calais (maybe Yan smells this and wants out because of it among other things..?). Either way, it's not worth jumping up and down screaming. In the end, we'll see how it goes within the next year or two. Either we'll still have a team or we won't. Kicking the team to the curb will just make the latter a much faster reality though....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Saw that coming. A real middle-finger to all the Jags fans. Just move the team already.

Big news was the destruction of a franchise.

Wink 

It's a good deal for Jags fans. 25% less home games and 15% price reduction.

Oh, wait - another screw job by the Jags organization. 

At least tickets will be cheap on stub hub and easy in/out of the stadium.

Everything is going to be alright, folks. Let's see if the city plays along and commits to stadium improvements, like a shading structure. Khan says he's doing this to raise revenue to enhance the stadium experience. I believe him. The less he has to ask from the city, the more likely improvements will be made. Patience, grasshoppas.

A home game and an away game in London would have made sense. 2 home games in London is all about setting the team up for a permanent move.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 08:02 PM by JagFan81.)

So been doing some reading and thinking. 

The London games or International series link with London has some contracts ending this year. Our contract to play at Wembley stadium finishes this year. The leagues contract with Wembley stadium ends this year but they signed a 10 year contract with soccer team Tottenham in 2015 to host 2 games a year. The league also agreed to host games in more international locations.

I believe London will host 4 games next season. We have 2 of them now and I think theyve already said Miami and Atlanta will play home games. So London will be 2 of the following teams

Colts, Texans, T*tans, Browns, Miami, Detroit

So I dont think Miami will play twice so I'm guessing a division game and the Browns. 

So with our London contract ending and Wembley stadiums contract ending this year, I think the NFL are trying us with 2 games out of 4 to see if the demand is there for Jags games or just NFL games. What Khan decides here will be the big indicator of what he ACTUALLY wants to do with the team. He has to make a decision regarding London this year.

(02-04-2020, 07:50 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: It's a good deal for Jags fans. 25% less home games and 15% price reduction.

Oh, wait - another screw job by the Jags organization. 

At least tickets will be cheap on stub hub and easy in/out of the stadium.

they are going from 9 home games in total to 8 home games.  That's not 25%

also, the 15% price reduction is specific to 50% off of 2 preseason games + 5% off of the 6 regular season games.

Thus, if you paid $100 per ticket last year you will now be paying (($50*2) + ($95*6)) = $670 versus $800 for an equivalent 8 games at the regular price.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 08:08 PM by JagsFanSince95.)

(02-04-2020, 01:06 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: What are they doing up there?

Feel for you season ticket holders. Crotch punch after crotch punch. Marrone, Wash and 6 games, oh sign me up!

I say this as a UK Jags fan. This idea the Jags will sell out London 8 games is fantasy. Fans here already have teams, they go for the NFL experience. 

I also dont understand how playing games outside of Jacksonville benefits Jacksonville.

It absolutely does not benefit Jacksonville. This league is largely funded by TV deals and is based on a revenue sharing model. Now, that said, will a sold out Wembley generate more revenue for Kahn himself vs a game in Jacksonville? Yes. He will make more from Wembley, but its peanuts in comparison to the revenue shared from something like, TV deals. Essentially this move is one more step to what we all now recognize as truth - Kahn has been and is planning to move this team. There is no doubt now.

(02-04-2020, 05:40 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Let’s say the  goal is 2 home/ 2 away games a year in London... With the team staying a full month there. That has to be a significant advantage right?

Not really since potential Free Agents are not going to want to spend a month in London.

(02-04-2020, 01:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 01:30 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: That's absolute BS.  Given that the Jags have had ONE winning season since Shad owned the team, with every other season being double-digit losses, it's actually amazing they've put 58,000 in the stands this year. The last game against the Colts was rocking--the fans were incredible. That was for a team that only had five wins.

Yep. Now is not the time to abandon the team. If this applies pressure to get the city to at least shade the stadium like Miami, that would go a long way towards increasing attendance at the hot games. 

Yell at me if you all want, but I think you’re taking this too personal. Khan’s beef isn’t with the fans, it’s with this idiotic and ineffectual city leadership. They take Khan for granted and he’s showing them he has options.

(02-04-2020, 07:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Everything is going to be alright, folks. Let's see if the city plays along and commits to stadium improvements, like a shading structure. Khan says he's doing this to raise revenue to enhance the stadium experience. I believe him. The less he has to ask from the city, the more likely improvements will be made. Patience, grasshoppas.

Khan is playing business 101 as an owner of an NFL franchise by leveraging his "options" to get this inept and crooked city leadership to contribute in not only the stadium improvements/experience but also the revitalization of Jacksonville.

Ultimately, in order for the Jaguars and revitalization of Jacksonville overall to succeed, the prehistoric shackles need to be undone from the major city influence and city leadership.

[BLEEP] it.. Whatever happens, happens.. It's beyond my control anyway.. You wanna go? Go.. You wanna stay? Whatever..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(02-04-2020, 08:35 PM)enigma Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 01:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Yep. Now is not the time to abandon the team. If this applies pressure to get the city to at least shade the stadium like Miami, that would go a long way towards increasing attendance at the hot games. 

Yell at me if you all want, but I think you’re taking this too personal. Khan’s beef isn’t with the fans, it’s with this idiotic and ineffectual city leadership. They take Khan for granted and he’s showing them he has options.

(02-04-2020, 07:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Everything is going to be alright, folks. Let's see if the city plays along and commits to stadium improvements, like a shading structure. Khan says he's doing this to raise revenue to enhance the stadium experience. I believe him. The less he has to ask from the city, the more likely improvements will be made. Patience, grasshoppas.

Khan is playing business 101 as an owner of an NFL franchise by leveraging his "options" to get this inept and crooked city leadership to contribute in not only the stadium improvements/experience but also the revitalization of Jacksonville.

Ultimately, in order for the Jaguars and revitalization of Jacksonville overall to succeed, the prehistoric shackles need to be undone from the major city influence and city leadership.

[Image: tenor.gif]

The Jags wont play a single home game in Jacksonville for likely 1 1/2 months (if not more, honestly) with this decision. 

2 back to back home games in London + the bye week that follows is 3 weeks right there.. Then you have to add into playing away games the week/s before and after the London games/bye. You're up to 5 weeks at minimum right there and that's the best case scenario.

I'm glad I don't live in Florida and have season tickets cause I'd be really pissed. Especially since it's cheaper to just buy tickets week to week anyways.

Even then though, I'm fairly annoyed/upset about this.. Living on the West Coast, waking up at 5-6am on Sunday to watch a trash team play a stupid football game is not something I want/like to do. I sure as hell don't want to do it back to back weeks.

(02-04-2020, 09:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The Jags wont play a single home game in Jacksonville for likely 1 1/2 months (if not more, honestly) with this decision. 

2 back to back home games in London + the bye week that follows is 3 weeks right there.. Then you have to add into playing away games the week/s before and after the London games/bye. You're up to 5 weeks at minimum right there and that's the best case scenario.

I'm glad I don't live in Florida and have season tickets cause I'd be really pissed. Especially since it's cheaper to just buy tickets week to week anyways.

Even then though, I'm fairly annoyed/upset about this.. Living on the West Coast, waking up at 5-6am on Sunday to watch a trash team play a stupid football game is not something I want/like to do. I sure as hell don't want to do it back to back weeks.

But if those 5 weeks are during the hottest part of the season...hmmmm.

(02-04-2020, 09:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 09:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The Jags wont play a single home game in Jacksonville for likely 1 1/2 months (if not more, honestly) with this decision. 

But if those 5 weeks are during the hottest part of the season...hmmmm.

They'll very likely be mid-late October/early November.. When the London games are always played.

(02-04-2020, 08:58 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [BLEEP] it.. Whatever happens, happens.. It's beyond my control anyway.. You wanna go? Go.. You wanna stay? Whatever..

It is hard to stay a fan of a team that's perpetually got one foot out the door, right?

After the [BLEEP] show on and off the field this past season I for the first time in 25 years was mulling the option of not renewing. I am now no longer mulling the option.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.