Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville losing 2 home games in 2020 to London

(02-06-2020, 09:47 AM)JW Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 05:33 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: I'm not making excuses for Mr. Khan, but what if he is making moves to move because the city isn't willing to make the necessary agreements and funding assistance that the team wants and thinks is necessary? We see this being the reason many teams leave their cities. Look at San Diego just recently with the Chargers and back with many, many others. Maybe the fight needs to be taken up with the city....
This......this move is designed to put pressure on the city counsel to vote the way Khan wants, when he tells them as soon as lot J is developed, he will bring back the one home game.

Ultimatums don't lead to happy relationships.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2020, 12:57 PM by knarnn.)

Mark Lamping’s mouth is moving again:

Quote:

“Shad Khan’s been very clear,” Lamping said regarding the franchise’s owner, in an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “The most important thing he wants to do is bring a Super Bowl to Duval County, and obviously we have a lot of work to do on that front. But the other thing he wants to do is ensure that there’s NFL football in Northeast Florida for many generations to come.”

Lamping explained the mixed-use development around the team’s stadium, a project he described as “Patriot Place on steroids.” He added that the effort is “changing the feel and energy of downtown Jacksonville, and as downtown Jacksonville goes, so will the Jaguars.”

Later in the interview, Lamping was clear: Khan is “committed to keeping the team in Northeast Florida.” Still, that doesn’t change the fact that the Jaguars will be playing one or more games in London, indefinitely.

“London supplements what we’re doing in Jacksonville,” Lamping said. “It certainly doesn’t replace it.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ksonville/

If you guys haven’t already, make sure your voices are heard by signing up for the Duval Coalition petition. Khan and crew say they have our best interests at hearts but they have not taken the time to actually listen to us fans. WE DONT WANT MORE GAMES IN LONDON. PERIOD. Use the same energy that’s being used to invest in London redirected towards building a consistent winning team on the field and watch the city turn out for the Jags every Sunday.

https://www.duvalcoalition.com/
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2020, 04:59 PM by SamusAranX.)

(02-05-2020, 03:01 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:39 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Jackson DeVille is saying a 4-4 home split was the plan all along.
I think this is actually the best solution.
The team would be financially sustainable and the games in Jax would be sold out.

If 4 games make the team financially stable why stop there? Why not make it the full slate? Why leave money on the table to appease the lowly residents of Cowford?

And what happens when Khan and company eventually asks the city for a new stadium? How to you sell 4 home games as a reason to spend 1 billion+ for a new stadium to our city leaders? I highly doubt Khan is going to beg the city, he’ll just pack up the team and leave.

Also, where is this financially stable business coming from? If the franchise was losing money I could understand, but anyone justifying moving these games using that reasoning needs to check again. The franchise had grown in value since Khan took over. “Financially stable” is code for I want more money and I will sell out the fans, hell my grandmother too, to get it

(02-06-2020, 12:47 PM)knarnn Wrote: Mark Lamping’s mouth is moving again:

Quote:

“Shad Khan’s been very clear,” Lamping said regarding the franchise’s owner, in an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “The most important thing he wants to do is bring a Super Bowl to Duval County, and obviously we have a lot of work to do on that front. But the other thing he wants to do is ensure that there’s NFL football in Northeast Florida for many generations to come.”

Lamping explained the mixed-use development around the team’s stadium, a project he described as “Patriot Place on steroids.” He added that the effort is “changing the feel and energy of downtown Jacksonville, and as downtown Jacksonville goes, so will the Jaguars.”

Later in the interview, Lamping was clear: Khan is “committed to keeping the team in Northeast Florida.” Still, that doesn’t change the fact that the Jaguars will be playing one or more games in London, indefinitely.

“London supplements what we’re doing in Jacksonville,” Lamping said. “It certainly doesn’t replace it.”

If you guys haven’t already, make sure your voices are heard by signing up for the Duval Coalition petition. Khan and crew say they have our best interests at hearts but they have not taken the time to actually listen to us fans. WE DONT WANT MORE GAMES IN LONDON. PERIOD. Use the same energy that’s being used to invest in London redirected towards building a consistent winning team on the field and watch the city turn out for the Jags every Sunday.

Isn't Lamping the same [BLEEP] hat who said winning wont fix anything? I couldn't give two [BLEEP] about what comes out of his mouth after that comment.

(02-06-2020, 04:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:01 PM)knarnn Wrote: If 4 games make the team financially stable why stop there? Why not make it the full slate? Why leave money on the table to appease the lowly residents of Cowford?

And what happens when Khan and company eventually asks the city for a new stadium? How to you sell 4 home games as a reason to spend 1 billion+ for a new stadium to our city leaders? I highly doubt Khan is going to beg the city, he’ll just pack up the team and leave.

Also, where is this financially stable business coming from? If the franchise was losing money I could understand, but anyone justifying moving these games using that reasoning needs to check again. The franchise had grown in value since Khan took over. “Financially stable” is code for I want more money and I will sell out the fans, hell my grandmother too, to get it

This pretty much sums it up.  Khan could care less about the fans, it's all about making that next $$ billion.

I’ve been too busy to dig into this news and haven’t read the entire thread, but I’m strangely kind of numb to the whole thing.
If the team were competitive right now I’m sure I’d feel differently.

But they aren’t , and we don’t have any word on the timeline/longevity of the two games ‘cross the pond.
I’d like some clarity on whether it’s envisioned as a permanent fixture or a short term money grab.

Yes, it bothers me that Khan’s hunger for profit exceeds what the Duval market will bear. But I could live with it if it turns out to be a two-three year arrangement.

The biggest strike against the whole thing is that it negatively impacts free agency and overall competitiveness.

There’s been reports of moving since before Khans time here. If it happens it happens. I don’t want them to move. But, I’d still be a fan if 2 games went away. If the trend continues, I’ll still be a fan until they are no longer affiliated with Jacksonville. After that, good riddance. It is what it is.

There's nothing we can do. Winning and sellouts just aren't enough to change the economics of Jax's market viability.

https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1225549065477402625

(02-06-2020, 09:19 PM)Upper Wrote: There's nothing we can do. Winning and sellouts just aren't enough to change the economics of Jax's market viability.

https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1225549065477402625

LOL. Sure didn't seem that way when Weaver owned it. What happened? Oh that's right GREED

Quote:

Kahn is full of horse fertilizer and Lamping is just a puppet.  Nobody who's committed to winning ever voluntarily gives up home field advantage, which is exactly what playing in London does.  To suggest that revitalizing the downtown area will somehow produce a better football team is absurd and only illustrates how embarrassingly little ownership knows about the game.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(02-06-2020, 08:41 PM)Jags Wrote: There’s been reports of moving since before Khans time here. If it happens it happens. I don’t want them to move. But, I’d still be a fan if 2 games went away. If the trend continues, I’ll still be a fan until they are no longer affiliated with Jacksonville. After that, good riddance. It is what it is.

This. This is exactly how I feel. For as long as they are the Jacksonville Jaguars, I will be a fan. I hope that this 2 game experiment isn’t permanently or long term, but I am a fan of Jacksonville and honored to have this team. I wish that our owner knew this. He doesn’t honor Jacksonville the same way we do and that hurts. But I HAVE TO, if only because I want it to be true, believe that this London experiment does help us secure Lot J/Shipyards. If the Shipyards go into development, I’d be more comfortable with all of this. If he invests in Downtown, we know he would be in his best interest to invest in the Jaguars. 

This does suck, though. It’s scary stuff

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020, 06:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-07-2020, 04:33 AM)Black and Teal Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 08:41 PM)Jags Wrote: There’s been reports of moving since before Khans time here. If it happens it happens. I don’t want them to move. But, I’d still be a fan if 2 games went away. If the trend continues, I’ll still be a fan until they are no longer affiliated with Jacksonville. After that, good riddance. It is what it is.

This. This is exactly how I feel. For as long as they are the Jacksonville Jaguars, I will be a fan. I hope that this 2 game experiment isn’t permanently or long term, but I am a fan of Jacksonville and honored to have this team. I wish that our owner knew this. He doesn’t honor Jacksonville the same way we do and that hurts. But I HAVE TO, if only because I want it to be true, believe that this London experiment does help us secure Lot J/Shipyards. If the Shipyards go into development, I’d be more comfortable with all of this. If he invests in Downtown, we know he would be in his best interest to invest in the Jaguars. 

This does suck, though. It’s scary stuff

It's a little scary because he is asking for some large taxpayer subsidies for things that are designed to enhance his own bottom line, and his actions do not evidence a solid long term commitment to this city.  

I would hope that in return for all this taxpayer money, the city extracts a really solid long term legal commitment to use that stadium.  Otherwise, we will have a massive boondoggle and a huge waste of money.  

My suggestion would be, a strong contractual obligation that if they do not play at least a certain number of games in this city for a certain number of years, he gives up any ownership rights to any downtown project that the city subsidized.  Otherwise, he skips town and he still owns the downtown property that the city helped pay for.

(02-06-2020, 10:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Kahn is full of horse fertilizer and Lamping is just a puppet.  Nobody who's committed to winning ever voluntarily gives up home field advantage, which is exactly what playing in London does.  To suggest that revitalizing the downtown area will somehow produce a better football team is absurd and only illustrates how embarrassingly little ownership knows about the game.

How is giving up two games giving up home field advantage? If anything, it is a huge advantage from a competitive standpoint. Jags will be in London for 2 weeks and be well adjusted, especially by the second game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-07-2020, 07:41 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Kahn is full of horse fertilizer and Lamping is just a puppet.  Nobody who's committed to winning ever voluntarily gives up home field advantage, which is exactly what playing in London does.  To suggest that revitalizing the downtown area will somehow produce a better football team is absurd and only illustrates how embarrassingly little ownership knows about the game.

How is giving up two games giving up home field advantage? If anything, it is a huge advantage from a competitive standpoint. Jags will be in London for 2 weeks and be well adjusted, especially by the second game.

Are you serious?  No matter how they market it, it is not a home game for the Jaguars.  There is such a small percentage of actual Jaguars fans at those games, it is more of just of an exhibition for their fans.  All you have to do is look at the jerseys in the crowd and listen to the crowd noises.  If you don't think fans are a huge part of a true home field advantage, I'm not sure what to tell you.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Welp, after giving it some thought I'm going to retain my season tickets.  It's going to be a whole different experience.  My entire tailgating group has disbanded.  So I'm going to go to the games with my wife again.  She hadn't gone for the last ten years or so because she didn't like the long day with the tailgating.  It's kind of depressing...not the going with my wife part, but my group of 20+ year tailgaiters breaking up...but I'm going to go anyway.  It's going to be sad going into the stadium and seeing how empty it is from game to game...and it will be empty(er).  And I'm not even going to pretend "I'm doing my part".  I just like being at the games.  Let's see how I feel after a year of this type of game experience.  I'm not making any threats...I'm just not sure how fun the overall experience is going to be without the tailgating part.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020, 09:09 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-07-2020, 08:34 AM)Rico Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 07:41 AM)Dimson Wrote: How is giving up two games giving up home field advantage? If anything, it is a huge advantage from a competitive standpoint. Jags will be in London for 2 weeks and be well adjusted, especially by the second game.

Are you serious?  No matter how they market it, it is not a home game for the Jaguars.  There is such a small percentage of actual Jaguars fans at those games, it is more of just of an exhibition for their fans.  All you have to do is look at the jerseys in the crowd and listen to the crowd noises.  If you don't think fans are a huge part of a true home field advantage, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Yes.  And if Khan is serious when he says winning is the most important thing, how does changing 2 home games into neutral site games help us win more?  It doesn't.  In fact, it does the opposite.

I used to think, gee, if we can just win our home games, we can be 8-8.  Now it's, gee if we can just win our home games, we can be 6-10.

(02-07-2020, 09:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 08:34 AM)Rico Wrote: Are you serious?  No matter how they market it, it is not a home game for the Jaguars.  There is such a small percentage of actual Jaguars fans at those games, it is more of just of an exhibition for their fans.  All you have to do is look at the jerseys in the crowd and listen to the crowd noises.  If you don't think fans are a huge part of a true home field advantage, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Yes.  And if Khan is serious when he says winning is the most important thing, how does changing 2 home games into neutral site games help us win more?  It doesn't.  In fact, it does the opposite.

I used to think, gee, if we can just win our home games, we can be 8-8.  Now it's, gee if we can just win our home games, we can be 6-10.
I don't think it's much to boast about, but the Jaguars record in London is three wins out of seven - 43%.

Their record for games played in Jacksonville over the same seven seasons is 19 wins out of 49 - 38%.

Although the atmosphere in Jacksonville is undoubtedly better than it is at Wembley (where there's a real mix of fans from all teams) I don't think there's evidence that has produced better results.

Sadly, the team has been pretty bad wherever it's played.

(02-07-2020, 09:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 08:34 AM)Rico Wrote: Are you serious?  No matter how they market it, it is not a home game for the Jaguars.  There is such a small percentage of actual Jaguars fans at those games, it is more of just of an exhibition for their fans.  All you have to do is look at the jerseys in the crowd and listen to the crowd noises.  If you don't think fans are a huge part of a true home field advantage, I'm not sure what to tell you.

When he says "winning" he means "winning the business aspect of running a franchise." He doesn't care that much about the product on the field, he pays people to do that for him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-06-2020, 08:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’ve been too busy to dig into this news and haven’t read the entire thread, but I’m strangely kind of numb to the whole thing.
If the team were competitive right now I’m sure I’d feel differently.

But they aren’t , and we don’t have any word on the timeline/longevity of the two games ‘cross the pond.
I’d like some clarity on whether it’s envisioned as a permanent fixture or a short term money grab.

Yes, it bothers me that Khan’s hunger for profit exceeds what the Duval market will bear. But I could live with it if it turns out to be a two-three year arrangement.

The biggest strike against the whole thing is that it negatively impacts free agency and overall competitiveness.

I'm intrigued how it's going to work logistically.

At the moment the team flies out Thursday night US time and arrive Friday morning UK time.

They have a training session on the Friday, fan events on Saturday, play Sunday then fly back Sunday night for a bye week. 

Now we will be staying in the UK a whole extra week. The team used to travel over on the Monday and spend the week in the UK but Marrone changed it to training in Jacksonville for the week as he felt it worked better. 

A 10 day trip is going to require a lot more preparation than a 3 night stay. I wonder what the players make of it.

(02-05-2020, 03:59 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 10:45 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I have been telling you all here that the team was going to move to london. no one ever wanted to belieave me.   no do you all belieave me about khan moveing jags to london?

He's not abandoning the city in the middle of the night, like the Colts did to Baltimore.

Read up on the subject.
They did what they had to do.