Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville losing 2 home games in 2020 to London

(02-07-2020, 09:06 AM)Rico Wrote: Welp, after giving it some thought I'm going to retain my season tickets.  It's going to be a whole different experience.  My entire tailgating group has disbanded.  So I'm going to go to the games with my wife again.  She hadn't gone for the last ten years or so because she didn't like the long day with the tailgating.  It's kind of depressing...not the going with my wife part, but my group of 20+ year tailgaiters breaking up...but I'm going to go anyway.  It's going to be sad going into the stadium and seeing how empty it is from game to game...and it will be empty(er).  And I'm not even going to pretend "I'm doing my part".  I just like being at the games.  Let's see how I feel after a year of this type of game experience.  I'm not making any threats...I'm just not sure how fun the overall experience is going to be without the tailgating part.

I'm kinda with you. Initially my thought was to give up my season tix but I've had them every year.  I guess I'll keep buying them because I do like the game day experience and would selfishly like to stay on the Founders Wall but I have a feeling we'll have a few games in which the Jags fans actually *do* get outnumbered this year. Everyone I know personally that had season tickets last year says they're giving them up for 2020.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020, 12:21 PM by Kane.)

(02-07-2020, 09:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 08:34 AM)Rico Wrote: Are you serious?  No matter how they market it, it is not a home game for the Jaguars.  There is such a small percentage of actual Jaguars fans at those games, it is more of just of an exhibition for their fans.  All you have to do is look at the jerseys in the crowd and listen to the crowd noises.  If you don't think fans are a huge part of a true home field advantage, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Yes.  And if Khan is serious when he says winning is the most important thing, how does changing 2 home games into neutral site games help us win more?  It doesn't.  In fact, it does the opposite.

I used to think, gee, if we can just win our home games, we can be 8-8.  Now it's, gee if we can just win our home games, we can be 6-10.

To be real... I think "home field advantage" is pretty overblown. (Home teams winning % has continuously decreased ever since replay and challenge was instituted and home teams won 51.7% this year) As an example the Hawks were 8-1 on the road, including playoffs, while only 4-4 at home, where the 12th man is supposedly a huge advantage.
When you field a terrible team... it doesn't matter where you play.

(02-05-2020, 10:45 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I have been telling you all here that the team was going to move to london. no one ever wanted to belieave me.   no do you all belieave me about khan moveing jags to london?

no

(02-07-2020, 12:07 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 09:06 AM)Rico Wrote: Welp, after giving it some thought I'm going to retain my season tickets.  It's going to be a whole different experience.  My entire tailgating group has disbanded.  So I'm going to go to the games with my wife again.  She hadn't gone for the last ten years or so because she didn't like the long day with the tailgating.  It's kind of depressing...not the going with my wife part, but my group of 20+ year tailgaiters breaking up...but I'm going to go anyway.  It's going to be sad going into the stadium and seeing how empty it is from game to game...and it will be empty(er).  And I'm not even going to pretend "I'm doing my part".  I just like being at the games.  Let's see how I feel after a year of this type of game experience.  I'm not making any threats...I'm just not sure how fun the overall experience is going to be without the tailgating part.

I'm kinda with you. Initially my thought was to give up my season tix but I've had them every year.  I guess I'll keep buying them because I do like the game day experience and would selfishly like to stay on the Founders Wall but I have a feeling we'll have a few games in which the Jags fans actually *do* get outnumbered this year. Everyone I know personally that had season tickets last year says they're giving them up for 2020.

I was talking to my ticket rep and just mentioned to him that I didn't envy what he was probably going through.  He said that it hadn't been a very fun few days.  I can't believe people are stupid enough to [BLEEP] at these guys.  As if they had anything to do with the decision.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2020, 05:22 PM by p_rushing.)

(02-07-2020, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:33 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: This. This is exactly how I feel. For as long as they are the Jacksonville Jaguars, I will be a fan. I hope that this 2 game experiment isn’t permanently or long term, but I am a fan of Jacksonville and honored to have this team. I wish that our owner knew this. He doesn’t honor Jacksonville the same way we do and that hurts. But I HAVE TO, if only because I want it to be true, believe that this London experiment does help us secure Lot J/Shipyards. If the Shipyards go into development, I’d be more comfortable with all of this. If he invests in Downtown, we know he would be in his best interest to invest in the Jaguars. 

This does suck, though. It’s scary stuff

It's a little scary because he is asking for some large taxpayer subsidies for things that are designed to enhance his own bottom line, and his actions do not evidence a solid long term commitment to this city.  

I would hope that in return for all this taxpayer money, the city extracts a really solid long term legal commitment to use that stadium.  Otherwise, we will have a massive boondoggle and a huge waste of money.  

My suggestion would be, a strong contractual obligation that if they do not play at least a certain number of games in this city for a certain number of years, he gives up any ownership rights to any downtown project that the city subsidized.  Otherwise, he skips town and he still owns the downtown property that the city helped pay for.

Agreed and I would try to even force him to give up ownership of the team to the city. Force him to sell at the current estimated value to the city. The city can run it and break even or make money easily as Khan is already doing.

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2020...ndon-crazy

Good article. I'm trying to stay open minded and I understand the reasons why it could help the team. I just keep finding reasons to be worried. The bottom 4 grossing teams were us, Rams, Raiders and Chargers. 3 moving to new homes 

We earn more than double in London than in Jacksonville for a game.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2020, 01:11 AM by JagFanatic24.)

(02-04-2020, 12:33 PM)Rico Wrote: Nope.  Back to back home games in London.

Just got my ticket update.

So only six home games this year.  Making me seriously consider my commitment to season tickets.

I am feeling the same way.

If you owned an NFL team, and you weren’t from Jacksonville . And you didn’t grow up watching Clyde Simmons intercepting Kelly up in Buffalo during our first ever playoff game.

And you didn’t scream when Smith faded to glory, and Taylor bust off a 90 yarder vs Miami, etc etc etc....

Would you continue making ends meet in Jax or would you make billions in another country?

Everyone of us would take option 2 deep down inside.

(02-07-2020, 05:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's a little scary because he is asking for some large taxpayer subsidies for things that are designed to enhance his own bottom line, and his actions do not evidence a solid long term commitment to this city.  

I would hope that in return for all this taxpayer money, the city extracts a really solid long term legal commitment to use that stadium.  Otherwise, we will have a massive boondoggle and a huge waste of money.  

My suggestion would be, a strong contractual obligation that if they do not play at least a certain number of games in this city for a certain number of years, he gives up any ownership rights to any downtown project that the city subsidized.  Otherwise, he skips town and he still owns the downtown property that the city helped pay for.

Agreed and I would try to even force him to give up ownership of the team to the city. Force him to sell at the current estimated value to the city. The city can run it and break even or make money easily as Khan is already doing.

The only city that is allowed to own a team is Green Bay.  They are grandfathered in.  But otherwise, under NFL rules, cities are not allowed to own teams.

Some bad takes [tarps] in this segment. But there was some great takes regarding the logistics and imbalances a permanent move would cause. Especially with the CBA, salary cap, etc. 

https://youtu.be/lyFE6s9-WJ4
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

As others have said, the ironic thing is a steeper decline in local revenue will only make the incentive to move to London that much greater. If there was ever a time to buy season tickets in order to better assure keeping the team here, now is that time. But who wants to buy season tickets after another terrible year, no changes to coach/GM, and news of only 6 home games.

I won't feel assured about us staying until Lot J development has begun.

(02-08-2020, 07:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 05:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Agreed and I would try to even force him to give up ownership of the team to the city. Force him to sell at the current estimated value to the city. The city can run it and break even or make money easily as Khan is already doing.

The only city that is allowed to own a team is Green Bay.  They are grandfathered in.  But otherwise, under NFL rules, cities are not allowed to own teams.

Is it that cities aren't allowed to own teams, or only that fans aren't allowed to own teams?

Either way, the city of Jacksonville can't afford to buy the Jaguars. Hell, the Jaguars may be worth more than the city of Jacksonville is at this point. Thanks, London.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2020, 05:44 PM by IndyJagsFan.)

A whole bunch of you here and on my Twitter feed are saying that you are giving up your season tickets or firing angry letters or tweets to the office or Tony Khan or trying to organize some kind of protest at the stadium- all out of "Principle". Tell me how any of this will make your lives better or lean this whole situation towards the Jaguars staying in Jacksonville?

I'm going to keep my tickets and enjoy every minute of being at the field I've come to revere as Holy Ground and the team I have lived and died with since 1996. This is what's best for me and my family, not shooting spitwads at the Death Star, if that even is what it is, out of anger and "principle".

Khan may or may not be working in the city and our long-term interest. Hard to say with certainty. But he is a Globalist and has a big picture view that we are not changing. It may be that we end up, as Jackson suggests, with a 4-4 split in the end. If we do, I'll be there for those games. I'd rather split custody than lose my kids altogether.

(02-08-2020, 05:43 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: A whole bunch of you here and on my Twitter feed are saying that you are giving up your season tickets or firing angry letters or tweets to the office or Tony Khan or trying to organize some kind of protest at the stadium- all out of "Principle". Tell me how any of this will make your lives better or lean this whole situation towards the Jaguars staying in Jacksonville?

I'm going to keep my tickets and enjoy every minute of being at the field I've come to revere as Holy Ground and the team I have lived and died with since 1996. This is what's best for me and my family, not shooting spitwads at the Death Star, if that even is what it is, out of anger and "principle".

Khan may or may not be working in the city and our long-term interest. Hard to say with certainty. But he is a Globalist and has a big picture view that we are not changing. It may be that we end up, as Jaxson suggests, with a 4-4 split in the end. If we do, I'll be there for those games. I'd rather split custody than lose my kids altogether.

Khan needs to do his part and get a winning team first. Who wants to pay to watch the jags get spanked on a weekly basis?
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2020, 07:06 PM by snowwolf776.)

Khan is lieing to everyone. hes been planning to move jags to london for years. you will all  be saying how right i was when it happens.   the annoucment will come at the end of the 2020  nfl season. by 2022 jags will be in london.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(02-08-2020, 07:05 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: Khan is lieing to everyone. hes been planning to move jags to london for years. you will all  be saying how right i was when it happens.   the annoucment will come at the end of the 2020  nfl season. by 2022 jags will be in london.

I hope you're wrong this time Snowie, but I have a feeling you're not.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-08-2020, 07:58 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 07:05 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: Khan is lieing to everyone. hes been planning to move jags to london for years. you will all  be saying how right i was when it happens.   the annoucment will come at the end of the 2020  nfl season. by 2022 jags will be in london.

I hope you're wrong this time Snowie, but I have a feeling you're not.

I don't think it's coming that fast. Khan doesn't have a built-in "the city can't support the team" argument this year because he's the one who pulled a game for "construction" purposes.

If news breaks that Khan has successfully purchased Wembley Stadium, the two-year clock can begin counting down. My money's on London Jaguars by 2024-2025.

(02-08-2020, 08:31 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Some bad takes [tarps] in this segment. But there was some great takes regarding the logistics and imbalances a permanent move would cause. Especially with the CBA, salary cap, etc. 

Pretty good analysis I think.  To summarize - Khan would get full support from the NFL to move a team to London on a full-time basis, and the CBA will include language about London as well.  

If that doesn't make everyone realize that this is going to happen at some point, I don't know what will.

(02-09-2020, 01:13 AM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 08:31 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Some bad takes [tarps] in this segment. But there was some great takes regarding the logistics and imbalances a permanent move would cause. Especially with the CBA, salary cap, etc. 

Pretty good analysis I think.  To summarize - Khan would get full support from the NFL to move a team to London on a full-time basis, and the CBA will include language about London as well.  

If that doesn't make everyone realize that this is going to happen at some point, I don't know what will.

Agreed. It's all about increasing that bottom line. Wasn't aware they had a 2nd stadium over there that's good enough to support another franchise if need be. Having two teams over there would give them a bit of a stronger foothold and create some good banter and a rivalry potentially.

I still think they're going to suffer for this in the long run though. And I still think this will slowly but surely be one of the few things that finally starts to put a crack in their armor. Moving teams across the pond is unacceptable. 

But they'll do it anyway for that bottom line. And as soon as those teams sour with poor product on the football field it'll be an interesting series of events for what comes next. 

I still feel that the CBA will be a major factor. They mentioned teams and players in London having more incentives or having a higher salary cap to work with in order to gain more favorable players, etc. 

That's still going to raise eyebrows and questions regarding competitive advantages for them with the other 31 (eventually 30 if they have their way) teams. The flying back and forth. The idea of being an American your entire life and having your family here only to have to be uprooted and play in London?

What happens when a team from London decides to draft players and those players tell them to [BLEEP] off just for those very same reasons? Some players may not be receptive to this idea. What if a family situation arises or a medical issue arises? Time is valuable. 

It's a lot easier and faster to travel around here at home than it is to fly back and forth across the pond. 

At this point I hope like hell the XFL catches fire and they have enough popularity to expand. The NFL is long overdue for valid competition. I have honestly had just about enough of it. The officiating alone is enough to turn off most fans these days. 

Wasn't really a big fan of this recent Superbowl. Not saying the 49ERS shouldn't have collapsed and lost that game. It happens. But the fact that the Chiefs somehow went an entire game, especially late where Mahomes was buying more and more time in the pocket?

Not a single offensive holding call was made against them? Seriously? This is against arguably one of the most dominate front four's we've seen in recent memory. That entire front four. Even their rotational guys. They were ALL over offenses this past season.

But somehow I am supposed to believe that their offensive line played perfectly against the likes of Bosa? Armstead? Buckner? & Ford? Come on. . . 

The Chiefs were even favored in betting circles to be penalized the most in that Superbowl. But 4 flags for 24 yards? [BLEEP] out of here. . . 

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/ch...e03ec2bta5

The blatant favoritism exists in the NFL. Whether anybody wants to accept it or not. It's there. . .
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 08:37 AM by The Real Marty.)

I miss the days of the Sharks, the Firebirds, the Express, etc., when we used to pay $5 on a warm night and go down to the old Gator Bowl and pick any seat that was available.   No one worried about relocation, in fact we didn't even worry that much if we won or lost.  It was a good time.

Being a football fan is supposed to be fun.  All the losing, and never ending talk of relocation, are sapping the fun from being a Jags fan.  Club seats for $390!  For one game.   Good God.

I much prefer it doesn't happen at all, but I actually think the snippet about moving two teams to London (one in Wembley one in Tottenham stadium) so they have a natural rivalry is a really good idea if they're going to make the commitment to London. Us and the Chargers are easy choices.

(02-09-2020, 10:57 AM)Upper Wrote: I much prefer it doesn't happen at all, but I actually think the snippet about moving two teams to London (one in Wembley one in Tottenham stadium) so they have a natural rivalry is a really good idea if they're going to make the commitment to London. Us and the Chargers are easy choices.

I don't think people realize how little a natural fanbase either would have or how small a blip they'd be in the London sports market