Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

I live near Milan here in Italy. Stay safe guys wherever you are. The situation here is bad but it's about to get much worse.
We have a few tragic weeks here ahead.

I hope your countries will take quick decisions to contain the virus.
Fingers crossed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-09-2020, 04:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 04:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: This whole thing is certainly not as serious as the MSM would have you believe.  The shutting down of events, buildings, cruise ships, etc. is a huge over-reaction.  Are certain people vulnerable?  Yes.  Would those same people be vulnerable if they caught the flu?  Yes.  This is not a plague.  It's simply a virus that will make you (the average person) sick for a few days.  Eat healthy, practice good hygiene and you will be fine.

Good time to buy Carnival? Smile

50% loss in 1 month!

Buy it if you want to lose money or not make gains anytime soon.  Don't expect it to shoot up anytime soon.

(03-09-2020, 05:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 04:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: This whole thing is certainly not as serious as the MSM would have you believe.  The shutting down of events, buildings, cruise ships, etc. is a huge over-reaction.  Are certain people vulnerable?  Yes.  Would those same people be vulnerable if they caught the flu?  Yes.  This is not a plague.  It's simply a virus that will make you (the average person) sick for a few days.  Eat healthy, practice good hygiene and you will be fine.

I don't recall reading or hearing the MSM commenting on the seriousness of the disease itself, or how far they think it will spread.  All they do is interview the experts.  They do report on the shutting down of events, cruise ships, quarantining cities, etc, but they aren't making those decisions.   Governments and private entities are making those decisions.  I don't see how you can blame what you call the overreaction on the MSM.  The MSM didn't make the decision to shut down parts of northern Italy or entire regions of China.  The MSM didn't tell people not to get on cruise ships; the CDC did that.  The MSM just reports it.  

Trump blames "fake news" for... something to do with all this, but where is the fake news?  I don't see fake news on this subject.  Just news.

The MSM is "reporting" on the knee-jerk reactions of some.  That "reporting" leads to more knee-jerk reactions by others.  Really... why hold a cruise ship off shore?  Why shut down places of work?  It's not the plague, it's a virus.  Where are the interviews with doctors that are against any quarantine or lock-down (there have been some).  Where are the interviews that point out that the elderly or chronically ill people are the ones in most danger (much like the flu)?

See exhibit A in my response to Eric1 below.

(03-09-2020, 06:06 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yea it's just the flu huh?? As all of Italy just went on full lock down...

Some people really need to pull their heads out of their [BLEEP]... This is far beyond just the flu.

Italy doesn't have the same level of healthcare that we have here.  The virus is not deadly to the average person in reasonable health.

Trying to hide from a simple virus doesn't make it go away.  Some people need to pull their heads out of their [BLEEP].

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2020, 08:31 PM by Eric1.)

(03-09-2020, 07:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 04:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Good time to buy Carnival? Smile

50% loss in 1 month!

Buy it if you want to lose money or not make gains anytime soon.  Don't expect it to shoot up anytime soon.

(03-09-2020, 05:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't recall reading or hearing the MSM commenting on the seriousness of the disease itself, or how far they think it will spread.  All they do is interview the experts.  They do report on the shutting down of events, cruise ships, quarantining cities, etc, but they aren't making those decisions.   Governments and private entities are making those decisions.  I don't see how you can blame what you call the overreaction on the MSM.  The MSM didn't make the decision to shut down parts of northern Italy or entire regions of China.  The MSM didn't tell people not to get on cruise ships; the CDC did that.  The MSM just reports it.  

Trump blames "fake news" for... something to do with all this, but where is the fake news?  I don't see fake news on this subject.  Just news.

The MSM is "reporting" on the knee-jerk reactions of some.  That "reporting" leads to more knee-jerk reactions by others.  Really... why hold a cruise ship off shore?  Why shut down places of work?  It's not the plague, it's a virus.  Where are the interviews with doctors that are against any quarantine or lock-down (there have been some).  Where are the interviews that point out that the elderly or chronically ill people are the ones in most danger (much like the flu)?

(03-09-2020, 06:06 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yea it's just the flu huh?? As all of Italy just went on full lock down...

Some people really need to pull their heads out of their [BLEEP]... This is far beyond just the flu.

Italy doesn't have the same level of healthcare that we have here.  The virus is not deadly to the average person in reasonable health.

Trying to hide from a simple virus doesn't make it go away.  Some people need to pull their heads out of their [BLEEP].

The healthcare system we have in the USA is a complete joke. People are going to die from this because they simply can't afford to go to the hospital because of the ridiculous costs. And even if they do go, the hospitals are going to be so full that people wont be able to get the care they need that could possibly save their life.

And people keep bringing up "the average, healthy person"... So we only care about average/healthy people now days? What about people with immune deficiencies? People with asthma, or other respiratory issues? etc etc. The list goes on and on. Do we just say "oh sucks to suck" to those people? "Just be healthy 4Head"...

I get it that some people will have minor symptoms and be ok (maybe, still have no clue the long term effects it'll have even on healthy people), but what might just be minor to you or I, could kill the person sitting next to you, or one of your family members that you decided to have lunch with etc.

This could kill your parents, or your grandparents. How would it make you feel to know you thought you only had a minor cold, but it is actually COVID and one, or more of your family members died because you were careless and passed it onto them? That's what needs to be focused on here. Not just the, "oh if you're healthy, you'll be just fine" narrative that's being shoved down people's throats.

And just stop... A simple virus doesn't make countries go into full lock downs. etc etc.

If they cancel Coachella then we know it's serious.

(03-09-2020, 08:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 07:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Buy it if you want to lose money or not make gains anytime soon.  Don't expect it to shoot up anytime soon.

The healthcare system we have in the USA is a complete joke. People are going to die from this because they simply can't afford to go to the hospital because of the ridiculous costs. And even if they do go, the hospitals are going to be so full that people wont be able to get the care they need that could possibly save their life.

And people keep bringing up "the average, healthy person"... So we only care about average/healthy people now days? What about people with immune deficiencies? People with asthma, or other respiratory issues? etc etc. The list goes on and on. Do we just say "oh sucks to suck" to those people? "Just be healthy 4Head"...

I get it that some people will have minor symptoms and be ok (maybe, still have no clue the long term effects it'll have even on healthy people), but what might just be minor to you or I, could kill the person sitting next to you, or one of your family members that you decided to have lunch with etc.

This could kill your parents, or your grandparents. How would it make you feel to know you thought you only had a minor cold, but it is actually COVID and one, or more of your family members died because you were careless and passed it onto them? That's what needs to be focused on here. Not just the, "oh if you're healthy, you'll be just fine" narrative that's being shoved down people's throats.

And just stop... A simple virus doesn't make countries go into full lock downs. etc etc.

Wow, you've completely lost it.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8304598]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2020, 11:14 PM by Eric1.)

(03-09-2020, 11:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 08:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The healthcare system we have in the USA is a complete joke. People are going to die from this because they simply can't afford to go to the hospital because of the ridiculous costs. And even if they do go, the hospitals are going to be so full that people wont be able to get the care they need that could possibly save their life.

Wow, you've completely lost it.

I hope so honestly, but we'll get a much better picture in about 2-3 months. We're basically at day 1 here in the US. This is just the very start.

(03-09-2020, 11:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 11:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Wow, you've completely lost it.

I hope so honestly, but we'll get a much better picture in about 2 months. We're basically at day 1 here in the US. This is just the very start.

Farr's Law. Like Colt .45 it works every time.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2020, 11:32 PM by Eric1.)

(03-09-2020, 10:12 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: If they cancel Coachella then we know it's serious.

Just got postponed till October, at least for now.

This is just a simple virus though, it's only the flu though, nothing to worry about though........

(03-09-2020, 11:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 10:12 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: If they cancel Coachella then we know it's serious.

Just got postponed till October, at least for now.

This is just a simple virus though, it's only the flu though, nothing to worry about though........

"Overreaction you have a call on the white courtesy phone, overreaction, white courtesy phone please."

My question is. Where the hell is all of the Toilet Paper? I can't practice good hygiene if I have to use the neighborhood's stray cat every morning to whipe my [BLEEP]. 

This is the real pandemic. My theory is that everybody is preparing to stay as shut in's for a few months and if you're only living off of canned beans you must be in need of that T.P. 

Everything is gone. Even the sand paper quality T.P is gone. May resort to the Mint magazine next week. 
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

[Image: DROffice.jpg]
[Image: review.jpg]

(03-09-2020, 06:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 06:20 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: So…panic? (shrug)

Not yet, but ignoring this and writing it off as just the flu is down right idiotic.

The best thing to do is try and get ahead of this before it gets way out of control, but since our Country is so [BLEEP] backwards, they're just going to wait/deny until it's way too late. It's going to get ugly.

Last administration: 6 months and 1k deaths from swine flu before a declaration of emergency.  Wheres was everyone running around like the walking dead then?  

Calm....  down....

I’m wringing my well-washed hands right now.

(03-10-2020, 12:13 AM)Caldrac Wrote: My question is. Where the hell is all of the Toilet Paper? I can't practice good hygiene if I have to use the neighborhood's stray cat every morning to whipe my [BLEEP]. 

This is the real pandemic. My theory is that everybody is preparing to stay as shut in's for a few months and if you're only living off of canned beans you must be in need of that T.P. 

Everything is gone. Even the sand paper quality T.P is gone. May resort to the Mint magazine next week. 

Eventually production and distribution has to catch up, because even if people buy mass quantities of toilet paper, they can't use it up any faster than they did before, so eventually there will be a glut on the market.

(03-10-2020, 03:27 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 06:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Not yet, but ignoring this and writing it off as just the flu is down right idiotic.

The best thing to do is try and get ahead of this before it gets way out of control, but since our Country is so [BLEEP] backwards, they're just going to wait/deny until it's way too late. It's going to get ugly.

Last administration: 6 months and 1k deaths from swine flu before a declaration of emergency.  Wheres was everyone running around like the walking dead then?  

Calm....  down....

Swine "flu" was called a flu, therefore it was no worse than the "flu." Coronavirus is not like the "flu" because if it was then they would've called it "Corona flu" and we would've had nothing to worry about. Since Coronavirus is not called "Corona flu" it's clearly worse, so forget the TP, stock up on ammo. And Purell. And Charmin if you can find it.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020, 11:25 AM by JackCity.)

Thread by an Italian doctor in the thick of it.

Some excerpts :

https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/123...90241?s=19

https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/123...83008?s=19

https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/123...63841?s=19

"I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?"

Yes, yes it is. Panic destroys logic, reason, and calculation and replaces them with emotion, fear, aggressiveness, and eventually scarcity and death.

(03-10-2020, 11:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?"

Yes, yes it is. Panic destroys logic, reason, and calculation and replaces them with emotion, fear, aggressiveness, and eventually scarcity and death.

Do you think we are in a panic and if so, why?

(03-10-2020, 12:03 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 11:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?"

Do you think we are in a panic and if so, why?

I think we are on the verge of a panic, and the next few days will either halt it or exacerbate it.

(03-10-2020, 01:27 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 12:03 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Do you think we are in a panic and if so, why?

I think we are on the verge of a panic, and the next few days will either halt it or exacerbate it.

But I was asking, how would you differentiate between a panic and just prudent actions in light of the situation?