Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-08-2020, 06:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-08-2020, 12:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The response has been fine. The symptoms are those of the common cold, and with it also being Spring allergy season you simply cannot test every single person with the sniffles for Coronavirus. That's why they have additional diagnostic questions about travel and exposure, because the system can't possibly do 30 million lab test this quarter (the number of acute visits due to respiratory conditions annually when there's no Corona Scare). What has not been fine is the media-generated panic over this issue that's treating it like it's the next coming of The Plague. It's not.It's a relatively contagious but also relatively non-virulent virus that's going to have far less of an clinical impact on us than the flu season this year even while the media is pretty much insuring that it will have a terrible economic one.

The response has not been fine, especially in Washington State, which is basically ground zero...

WA State can still only test up to around 140-150 people a day (in the entire state) with King County and Snohomish County taking priority (most confirmed cases/deaths). At least 3-4 other County's have positive cases now and test are being back logged for days, if not weeks (people are still waiting for their results since last week). There has been a few confirmed cases within the past couple days, in the County I live in and 2 of the known results are firefighters.

This stuff is only going to continue to get worse and our Country is so [BLEEP] backwards they're going to let it get really bad. For every positive test, you can guarantee there's at least 6x++ the amount of people carrying the virus, who don't even know it. The first positive test reported in my County was a man in his 70s, who had no known interactions with somebody who was positive with the virus. So who knows who he got it from or just how many people actually have the virus. Which you can bet there's thousands, at the very least..

The USA should have seen this coming, since they've known about this virus for months, yet they didn't take any precautions. We're basically at the point of where China was around 2 months ago (and we seen what happened to them in those coming months up to this point). And lets be real here, our Government isn't smart enough, or cares enough (it's only about $$ to them/continuing to feed the machine) to put major cities into full on locked downs to prevent mass spread of the virus (at least until it's too late and they're forced to), like China did and like Italy is currently doing etc.

People really need to stop comparing this to the common flu. Countries aren't cancelling all classes, canceling travel, stopping major businesses and putting major cities into full on lock downs/quarantine because of the [BLEEP] flu...

Dwight Shrute says we must embrace COVID 19 to make our immune system stronger.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-NSPhLHIBA][/url]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-10-2020, 08:09 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 03:27 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Last administration: 6 months and 1k deaths from swine flu before a declaration of emergency.  Wheres was everyone running around like the walking dead then?  

Calm....  down....

Swine "flu" was called a flu, therefore it was no worse than the "flu." Coronavirus is not like the "flu" because if it was then they would've called it "Corona flu" and we would've had nothing to worry about. Since Coronavirus is not called "Corona flu" it's clearly worse, so forget the TP, stock up on ammo. And Purell. And Charmin if you can find it.

They should have named it Kung Flu.

(03-10-2020, 02:41 PM)Last42min Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 08:09 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Swine "flu" was called a flu, therefore it was no worse than the "flu." Coronavirus is not like the "flu" because if it was then they would've called it "Corona flu" and we would've had nothing to worry about. Since Coronavirus is not called "Corona flu" it's clearly worse, so forget the TP, stock up on ammo. And Purell. And Charmin if you can find it.

They should have named it Kung Flu.

Whatever they call it, it's ours now.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

CDC is saying anyone over 60 with a chronic disease like diabetes or heart disease should stock up on 30 days worth of supplies and prepare to stay home. That's a lot of people and a lot of supplies that need to be bought, right now.

(03-10-2020, 03:18 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: CDC is saying anyone over 60 with a chronic disease like diabetes or heart disease should stock up on 30 days worth of supplies and prepare to stay home.  That's a lot of people and a lot of supplies that need to be bought, right now.

Too many fat people in the USA.  The shelves will be empty in no time.

Italy is a good example of what happens when government is in charge of health care.  They only have a population of ~60 million and cover an area roughly the size of Florida and Georgia.  They are unable to handle the number of cases that need hospitalization.

Once again as I have said before, it's not that big of a deal for us in the U.S.  We have the best medical facilities available, the best personnel and we are able to handle this epidemic.  The most danger is to the elderly and people with chronic conditions.

A reasonably healthy 20, 30, 40 or even 50 something person should not be alarmed and should not be forced to stay home just because someone in their building tested positive.

There is no reason to stockpile bottled water, toilet paper or other items because of this (though I have my normal stockpile of beer).

People (fueled by the MSM and social media) act like this is THE plague that will wipe out humanity.

I work around and with people from overseas every day.  In my place of work alone today we had people from Norway, Greece and Spain that just flew in over the weekend.  We take NORMAL precautions to sanitize our equipment between use.  By the end of the week we will have visitors from Chile and New Zealand as well.

If I end up getting this "flu" (which is pretty much the symptoms) I'll just stay home until I get over it.  If I'm only exposed to it I'll "self quarantine" out on my property and enjoy being away from people.

Really people need to stop over-reacting from a non-problem.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My wife canceled our Disney trip. Saved a lot of $$$. So, not too upset. Was concerned due to it being a destination for many out of country. Tried to book a cabin in the smokies. Nothing enticing this short of notice. We decided to take our travel trailer out to her family’s property and hang out/help out. Do some more recon for my plans in the future.

(03-10-2020, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Italy is a good example of what happens when government is in charge of health care.  They only have a population of ~60 million and cover an area roughly the size of Florida and Georgia.  They are unable to handle the number of cases that need hospitalization.

Once again as I have said before, it's not that big of a deal for us in the U.S.  We have the best medical facilities available, the best personnel and we are able to handle this epidemic.  The most danger is to the elderly and people with chronic conditions.

A reasonably healthy 20, 30, 40 or even 50 something person should not be alarmed and should not be forced to stay home just because someone in their building tested positive.

There is no reason to stockpile bottled water, toilet paper or other items because of this (though I have my normal stockpile of beer).

People (fueled by the MSM and social media) act like this is THE plague that will wipe out humanity.

I work around and with people from overseas every day.  In my place of work alone today we had people from Norway, Greece and Spain that just flew in over the weekend.  We take NORMAL precautions to sanitize our equipment between use.  By the end of the week we will have visitors from Chile and New Zealand as well.

If I end up getting this "flu" (which is pretty much the symptoms) I'll just stay home until I get over it.  If I'm only exposed to it I'll "self quarantine" out on my property and enjoy being away from people.

+1

This is cause to wash your hands more regularly not shut down society as we know it.

(03-10-2020, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Italy is a good example of what happens when government is in charge of health care.  They only have a population of ~60 million and cover an area roughly the size of Florida and Georgia.  They are unable to handle the number of cases that need hospitalization.

Italy's healthcare system is routinely ranked as one of the best in the world.  This level of expansion is uncommon however, they went from 100 cases to 10,000 cases in the space of a week , that rate will put a strain on every countries health services to the nth degree. 

And it's not a non problem. Countries aren't shutting down everything and costing themselves mass amounts of money just to look woke. 

It's not a plague that will wipe out humanity, rather a global health crisis that needs to be taken seriously so we try keep as many vulnerable people alive as possible

(03-10-2020, 05:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:

Italy's healthcare system is routinely ranked as one of the best in the world.  This level of expansion is uncommon however, they went from 100 cases to 10,000 cases in the space of a week , that rate will put a strain on every countries health services to the nth degree. 

And it's not a non problem. Countries aren't shutting down everything and costing themselves mass amounts of money just to look woke. 

It's not a plague that will wipe out humanity, rather a global health crisis that needs to be taken seriously so we try keep as many vulnerable people alive as possible

Full disclosure, I'm going by what I actually heard from a source in Italy in a news interview.

It is my understanding that hospital beds are basically being "rationed".  Patients with "non-essential" conditions are being "kicked out".  Supposedly there aren't enough hospital beds so doctors will be forced to "decide" which cases need a bed and which ones don't.

Contrast that with here in the U.S.  My mother had to go in for a knee replacement this morning.  No problems and she even got a private room after the operation.  She is 86 years old and still received top notch care with no interruptions for the Corona virus "emergency".

About a month or so ago I had a friend/co-worker go in for hip replacement surgery.  Again, his bed wasn't "rationed off" for something else and he received top notch care.

I don't really care where Italy's healthcare system or any other country's healthcare system "ranks".  I personally have been in foreign countries (Scotland, Ireland and England to be exact) where I have had natives of the country praise our level of healthcare.  At the time it didn't really mean anything to me, but today I understand what they were saying.

Italy may or may not have "top notch" doctors, but their socialized healthcare system simply doesn't work.  It doesn't work in their country and certainly won't work here.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-10-2020, 06:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: Italy's healthcare system is routinely ranked as one of the best in the world.  This level of expansion is uncommon however, they went from 100 cases to 10,000 cases in the space of a week , that rate will put a strain on every countries health services to the nth degree. 

Full disclosure, I'm going by what I actually heard from a source in Italy in a news interview.

It is my understanding that hospital beds are basically being "rationed".  Patients with "non-essential" conditions are being "kicked out".  Supposedly there aren't enough hospital beds so doctors will be forced to "decide" which cases need a bed and which ones don't.

Contrast that with here in the U.S.  My mother had to go in for a knee replacement this morning.  No problems and she even got a private room after the operation.  She is 86 years old and still received top notch care with no interruptions for the Corona virus "emergency".

About a month or so ago I had a friend/co-worker go in for hip replacement surgery.  Again, his bed wasn't "rationed off" for something else and he received top notch care.

I don't really care where Italy's healthcare system or any other country's healthcare system "ranks".  I personally have been in foreign countries (Scotland, Ireland and England to be exact) where I have had natives of the country praise our level of healthcare.  At the time it didn't really mean anything to me, but today I understand what they were saying.

Italy may or may not have "top notch" doctors, but their socialized healthcare system simply doesn't work.  It doesn't work in their country and certainly won't work here.

Like everything, it depends where you go.. Some hospitals in Italy have tons of beds, others do not. 

Your mother may have gotten great treatment at one place, and terrible treatment at another, likewise with your friend. 

Anecdotes don't really do much when comparing healthcare systems around the globe

(03-10-2020, 06:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 06:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Full disclosure, I'm going by what I actually heard from a source in Italy in a news interview.

Like everything, it depends where you go.. Some hospitals in Italy have tons of beds, others do not. 

Your mother may have gotten great treatment at one place, and terrible treatment at another, likewise with your friend. 

Anecdotes don't really do much when comparing healthcare systems around the globe

Lack of actual productivity has been documented in socialized medical systems for years, specifically reduction in beds filled.  

The va RANKS as the most popular in this country, doesnt make it the best.

I have to set a reminder on my phone to check this post in 2 weeks...
Not that I want you to be proven wrong.
if I had to choose between Italians dying and Americans dying, I would pick Italians, because I'm American.
But you're wrong. 
Their system is better than ours in many ways, and worse in only a few ways. If we end up having less suffering due to this virus then they have had, we will have been very lucky
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-10-2020, 06:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: Italy's healthcare system is routinely ranked as one of the best in the world.  This level of expansion is uncommon however, they went from 100 cases to 10,000 cases in the space of a week , that rate will put a strain on every countries health services to the nth degree. 

Famous last words

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020, 07:17 PM by JackCity.)

(03-10-2020, 06:50 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 06:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: Like everything, it depends where you go.. Some hospitals in Italy have tons of beds, others do not. 

Lack of actual productivity has been documented in socialized medical systems for years, specifically reduction in beds filled.  

The va RANKS as the most popular in this country, doesnt make it the best.

Do you have any links to studies comparing Italy to the rest of the developed nations

Also I think people need to do some more study on this particular virus.

Scientists are discovering that people who have the virus and don't show symptoms can still have a higher level of the virus in their system thousands of times above what SARs had. This is not a flu guys

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020, 07:26 PM by lastonealive.)

Recent cases in Australia are coming from people travelling from the US.

Any country where there is a cost barrier to health care is likely to have a much larger problem than they realise.

Also I have never met a Brit refer to American healthcare in a positive light. Did you miss the sarcasm? Or were they being polite?

Let me guess they liked the gun laws too?

(03-10-2020, 01:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 01:27 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think we are on the verge of a panic, and the next few days will either halt it or exacerbate it.

But I was asking, how would you differentiate between a panic and just prudent actions in light of the situation?

Punching people over toilet paper is not prudent. Everyone walking around in N95s is not prudent. People going to the ER for the Sniffles is not prudent, not that it ever has been. A run on supplies at the same time that people are refusing to report to work would be a panic. I think Wall Street suspending trading is the result of panicked economic behavior. As I said, much of what we're seeing is right at the edge. We'll either calm down or melt down.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Idk what to make of this, I agree with most that say nothing to worry about, normal flu, etc. I really do. But my brother called me the other night and I nonchalantly say “what do you think about this coronavirus”? To be met with, “I can’t talk about that.” Here I thought he did nuclear stuff. He admitted that some of the stuff he couldn’t talk about was stupid and that everyone knew all about it. But did say canceling out trip was what he’d do. So idk. Still leaning towards not a big deal. But I’ll be damned if the one year I get a flu shot, I get sick with this stuff.

(03-10-2020, 08:43 PM)Jags Wrote: Idk what to make of this, I agree with most that say nothing to worry about, normal flu, etc.  I really do.  But my brother called me the other night and I nonchalantly say “what do you think about this coronavirus”?  To be met with, “I can’t talk about that.”  Here I thought he did nuclear stuff.  He admitted that some of the stuff he couldn’t  talk about was stupid and that everyone knew all about it. But did say canceling out trip was what he’d do.  So idk.  Still leaning towards not a big deal.  But I’ll be damned if the one year I get a flu shot, I get sick with this stuff.

Coronavirus is not the flu, it's a viral pneumonia. It is not anywhere near as contagious as the flu, though the symptoms cause the same cold-like symptoms of the flu and the respiratory distress associated with pneumonia. I'm going to Disney this weekend, hopefully the crowds will be minimal since everyone is terrified of their own shadow right now.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-10-2020, 09:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 08:43 PM)Jags Wrote: Idk what to make of this, I agree with most that say nothing to worry about, normal flu, etc.  I really do.  But my brother called me the other night and I nonchalantly say “what do you think about this coronavirus”?  To be met with, “I can’t talk about that.”  Here I thought he did nuclear stuff.  He admitted that some of the stuff he couldn’t  talk about was stupid and that everyone knew all about it. But did say canceling out trip was what he’d do.  So idk.  Still leaning towards not a big deal.  But I’ll be damned if the one year I get a flu shot, I get sick with this stuff.

Coronavirus is not the flu, it's a viral pneumonia. It is not anywhere near as contagious as the flu, though the symptoms cause the same cold-like symptoms of the flue and the respiratory distress associated with pneumonia. I'm going to Disney this weekend, hopefully the crowds will be minimal since everyone is terrified of their own shadow right now.

Just cough or wipe your nose and youll get the whole ride to yourself!!  Smile