Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 11:32 AM by JackCity.)

(03-12-2020, 11:31 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 10:34 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/123...01666?s=19

In other news, the Trump administration was far ahead of his European counterparts in stemming the tide of the Corona virus.

And their response has been significantly worse than far less developed nations with nowhere near the same level of testing available.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Big Ten just canceled their conference tournament.

(03-12-2020, 12:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Big Ten just canceled their conference tournament.

So did the SEC

(03-12-2020, 12:09 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 12:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Big Ten just canceled their conference tournament.

So did the SEC

Dang!  I hope we're not all going to be sitting at home with no sports on TV!

(03-12-2020, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 12:09 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: So did the SEC

Time to go hit up that TV Shows part of the message board.

ACC now cancelled right before tip-off of FSU vs. Clemson.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 12:41 PM by jj82284.)

(03-12-2020, 11:32 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 11:31 AM)jj82284 Wrote: In other news, the Trump administration was far ahead of his European counterparts in stemming the tide of the Corona virus.

And their response has been significantly worse than far less developed nations with nowhere near the same level of testing available.

Statistical citations please.

60 million infected with swine flu. Did anyone even suggest shutting down the world economy?

Hopefully we don’t see shutdowns on the level of some of the European countries. I do wonder if any of my employees are under a 2 week quarantine how in the world do we run the shop short man power?

Does it get to the point the sick or under quarantine workforce is so great we can’t simply open our stores?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(03-12-2020, 12:58 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Hopefully we don’t see shutdowns on the level of some of the European countries. I do wonder if any of my employees are under a 2 week quarantine how in the world do we run the shop short man power?

Does it get to the point the sick or under quarantine workforce is so great we can’t simply open our stores?

I picked a heckuva day to quit drinking....

But in all seriousness our system absorbed 60 million cases of swine flu in 2009-10. The chances this eclipses that will be very low.  Were still talking about 1200 cases domestically and 120k cases worldwide.  We had 300k hospitalizations during swine flu in the us alone.  

The much greater threat will be that customers simply dont walk through the door

Crypt Keeper Nancy threw a bunch of other crap in their "bill" they haven't been able to get for decades. Typical soul-less democrats doing what they do. Never let a perfectly good crisis go un-used.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 02:04 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-12-2020, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 12:09 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: So did the SEC

There are so many good series on Netflix.  Time to binge for Americans

(03-12-2020, 01:40 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Crypt Keeper Nancy threw a bunch of other crap in their "bill" they haven't been able to get for decades. Typical soul-less democrats doing what they do. Never let a perfectly good crisis go un-used.

Citizenship for DACA kids are essential to battling the caronavirus and market crash  !!! 

Joking aside, what was being proposed, excluding Nancy's revisions?   was it the 0% payroll tax?  I surely hope so.

(03-12-2020, 01:05 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 12:58 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Hopefully we don’t see shutdowns on the level of some of the European countries. I do wonder if any of my employees are under a 2 week quarantine how in the world do we run the shop short man power?

I picked a heckuva day to quit drinking....

But in all seriousness our system absorbed 60 million cases of swine flu in 2009-10. The chances this eclipses that will be very low.  Were still talking about 1200 cases domestically and 120k cases worldwide.  We had 300k hospitalizations during swine flu in the us alone.  

The much greater threat will be that customers simply dont walk through the door

I’m not a medical guy at all, it’s actually embarrassing how little I know about this kind of stuff, but is this covid19 more contagious than the swine flu? I don’t remember hearing this much about the swine flu back then. I get it’s not as serious if you do get it but is it that more people will be getting this so the threat will be bigger?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

TPC is banning fans for the remainder.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 02:47 PM by Gabe.)

(03-12-2020, 02:32 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 01:05 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I picked a heckuva day to quit drinking....

I’m not a medical guy at all, it’s actually embarrassing how little I know about this kind of stuff, but is this covid19 more contagious than the swine flu? I don’t remember hearing this much about the swine flu back then. I get it’s not as serious if you do get it but is it that more people will be getting this so the threat will be bigger?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's got something to do with the delayed incubation period after exposure. By the time you experience symptoms, you could have had it in your system for up to 2 weeks.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-12-2020, 02:47 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 02:32 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I’m not a medical guy at all, it’s actually embarrassing how little I know about this kind of stuff, but is this covid19 more contagious than the swine flu? I don’t remember hearing this much about the swine flu back then. I get it’s not as serious if you do get it but is it that more people will be getting this so the threat will be bigger?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's got something to do with the delayed incubation period after exposure. By the time you experience symptoms, you could have had it in your system for up to 2 weeks.

Right, but typically, if you have no symptoms, you're also not contagious.  
This virus seems to be able to reproduce enough within the bodies of healthy people that it can be passed on, but not enough to make them feel sick.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-12-2020, 02:32 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 01:05 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I picked a heckuva day to quit drinking....

Gabe is pretty much right.  Nothing to be embarrassed about.  It is highly contagious and as he said, you could have it and not show symptoms for a week or two.  For probably 80% or so of the population it really isn't a big deal.  You pretty much will get sick with "flu like" symptoms (mainly trouble breathing and fever) for about 24 hours or so.  The biggest danger is spreading it to older folks or people with compromised immune systems.  I personally think that the reaction taken now is an OVER reaction.

The reason people hear about it so much (as compared to the swine flu) is because of the MSM and social media.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

this 2-3 week pause on stuff is not going to work. It doesn't go far enough to stop it. Basically need to shut down the entire country except for utilities, services, and transportation for goods. Shutting down everything and stopping companies from firing employees may help. Either require all companies to pay at least 75% or give free pto and then help them out with free loans to help cover the labor expenses. Pause all loan payments interest free, all rent payments, utilities, etc for companies not being able to sell anything.

If you aren't going to go to the extreme to stop the spread, then you are just going to make it last a lot longer as the spread slows. Unless a vaccine or treatment is found, it only prolongs the time frame and may give hospitals some empty beds.

(03-12-2020, 03:30 PM)p_rushing Wrote: this 2-3 week pause on stuff is not going to work. It doesn't go far enough to stop it. Basically need to shut down the entire country except for utilities, services, and transportation for goods. Shutting down everything and stopping companies from firing employees may help. Either require all companies to pay at least 75% or give free pto and then help them out with free loans to help cover the labor expenses. Pause all loan payments interest free, all rent payments, utilities, etc for companies not being able to sell anything.

If you aren't going to go to the extreme to stop the spread, then you are just going to make it last a lot longer as the spread slows. Unless a vaccine or treatment is found, it only prolongs the time frame and may give hospitals some empty beds.

I'm sorry.  If half the country just stopped working the resulting shortages in goods and services would cause more death and societal collapse than a virulent upper respitory infection.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't Trump and Pence get tested for COVID after twice (at least Trump) coming into close contact with someone who later tested positive? Optics?
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-12-2020, 04:06 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 03:30 PM)p_rushing Wrote: this 2-3 week pause on stuff is not going to work. It doesn't go far enough to stop it. Basically need to shut down the entire country except for utilities, services, and transportation for goods. Shutting down everything and stopping companies from firing employees may help. Either require all companies to pay at least 75% or give free pto and then help them out with free loans to help cover the labor expenses. Pause all loan payments interest free, all rent payments, utilities, etc for companies not being able to sell anything.

I'm sorry.  If half the country just stopped working the resulting shortages in goods and services would cause more death and societal collapse than a virulent upper respitory infection.

I agree, which is why it wasn't done. The issue is not doing it will not stop the spread. Goods and services could be maintained, shortages could be handled by maintaining the transportation and keeping larger stores open that supply those goods. This country can handle it with all the automation and electronics, the main issue is getting everyone on board and doing it. America can do it, look at WWII and what the manufacturing sector did. Quickly switching to keeping people at home unless you are involved in getting basic supplies to people can be done.

It's just that most people in the government are now too stupid and too bureaucratic.