Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-12-2020, 10:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Everyone in America knows "how to deal" with this. We don't need to pay government bureaucrats to announce common sense.

You have a great deal more faith in humanity than I do. I trust almost no one to take the necessary precautions because most have the, "it won't happen to me" mentality.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-13-2020, 12:05 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 10:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Everyone in America knows "how to deal" with this. We don't need to pay government bureaucrats to announce common sense.

You have a great deal more faith in humanity than I do. I trust almost no one to take the necessary precautions because most have the, "it won't happen to me" mentality.

And you think they listen to government? Nah, they know and don't care.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I was supposed to be at the The Players today.

We’re in overreaction territory and it’s going to backfire.

Disney is shutting down this weekend for the rest of the month. Glad I got my money back first

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020, 07:25 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-13-2020, 06:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I was supposed to be at the The Players today.

It already has.

China threatening to cut off all meds to US. If you want to see how dependent we are on them for basic medicine, do the frightening research.

Trump was right all along about China.

(03-13-2020, 06:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I was supposed to be at the The Players today.

It's a tough call- are we willing to severely damage the economy in order to avoid having our health care system so overwhelmed with patients that a lot of them die for lack of care?

(03-13-2020, 07:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

It's a tough call- are we willing to severely damage the economy in order to avoid having our health care system so overwhelmed with patients that a lot of them die for lack of care?

Who says that will happen? We’re getting reports of doom from countries with corrupt or ineffective healthcare systems. So far we’ve had 50 deaths in a country of 330 million with most of the infected riding it out at home using OTC meds. We’re not dealing with Ebola.

(03-12-2020, 10:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The Players has been cancelled. Hideki cant be too happy

LOL.  CBS playing a live interview now under a BREAKING NEWS headline.  Guess they didn't read your post yesterday.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-13-2020, 08:09 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 10:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The Players has been cancelled. Hideki cant be too happy

LOL.  CBS playing a live interview now under a BREAKING NEWS headline.  Guess they didn't read your post yesterday.

Imagine shooting a 63 in the 1st round of a tournament that has a winners share of 2.7M to find out it got cancelled, lol.

(03-13-2020, 08:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 08:09 AM)Sneakers Wrote: LOL.  CBS playing a live interview now under a BREAKING NEWS headline.  Guess they didn't read your post yesterday.

Imagine shooting a 63 in the 1st round of a tournament that has a winners share of 2.7M to find out it got cancelled, lol.

I heard somewhere that they are paying out the full purse.  I don't know for sure.  

ButI know Hideki is happy either way, because he has been credited with the full 600 Fedex Cup points.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020, 08:56 AM by Byron LeftTown.)

Add to the list of cancelled events:

Extinction Rebellion (XRDC) has cancelled its mass die-in at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History this Sunday because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020, 09:26 AM by Lucky2Last.)

Mikesez is correct. How many hospitals are there in Jacksonville? Somewhere between 8 and 11? How many beds are available at each one? Somewhere between 100-500? 4.5 days is the average length of stay at a hospital.

If we take 10 hospitals at a generous 300 beds per, that's 3000 beds for Jacksonville residents (which I believe is an overestimate). I don't have any hard numbers for the coronavirus length of stay, but there are some estimates that once a patient is on a ventilator, the average stay is 2 months. 10% of Jacksonville's population is over 65, with an additional 12% in the range of 55-65. So, that is approximately 200,000 people who are highly likely to be affected by this disease. If we just look at the oldest age demographic, if only 12% of them get it, you're looking at 12,000 people getting the virus. The rate of death for the elderly is 18%, or 1 in 6, so that's roughly 2,000 people. This doesn't include the 55-65 bracket, which has a 8% mortality rate, so tack on (using the same numbers) and you're looking at an additional 1000 people. This is 3,000 people that could occupy almost all the hospital beds in Jacksonville for up to 2 months (if not all of them), and I'm being generous. Keep in mind, I am just talking about mortality rate. There are going to be many more people that recover and will need to stay on ventilators to do so.

The goal of canceling large social events is to slow the spread of the virus down. Maybe try to keep the number affecting the elderly to 1-2%. We need to keep our medical system from being overwhelmed. If we can do that, hopefully this will blow over and everyone can talk about how this was just another "overhyped" media scare, but the truth is that if we can't slow the spread, it will overwhelm our hospital system and then doctors will be faced with who to save. It won't just be coronavirus patients, we will see car accident deaths go up, heart attack deaths go up, etc.

Conservatives downplaying this are not doing enough of their own research. This virus has been very interesting to follow because there are still so many mysteries surrounding it. I personally believe it was genetically engineered. There are 2 strains, one deadly and one more similar to the common cold.There are cases of people being reinfected. There are cases of people testing positively, then being symptom free and testing negatively, only to be positive again a few weeks later. It's all over the place. I don't trust China. I don't like the political games being played with this.

This is why I rail against team politics... because eventually your side will be wrong about something and you will get rightfully condemned for it. We need to start coming together. No president was going to nail this. If the progressives want to speculate how their candidate would have done in this situation, look at Europe. They have experts, but they didn't close their borders. They didn't start testing immediately, either. They are also likely to get hit hard with this virus. Conservatives need to acknowledge that Trump has made his fair share of mistakes. He shouldn't have fired our pandemic response team. He shouldn't have gave the public false information. We need to acknowledge this and move forward. It shouldn't be a surprise that the countries that have done the best with regards to the outbreak are the ones hit hardest by SARS a few years ago. This just shows you that humans learn best by failure. We didn't learn from their failure, but hopefully we can learn from ours.

On a side note, I think there's a special place in hell for governments that research biological warfare. It's one thing to want to study existing virus to find cures, but it's another thing entirely to try to genetically modify virus to make them more deadly. I'm not saying it's certain China made this, but this whole ordeal has me particularly incensed that this is even a thing.

Joe to the rescue!

[Image: xmWr73g.jpg]

(03-13-2020, 09:24 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Joe to the rescue!

[Image: xmWr73g.jpg]

Apparently Joe isn't bright enough to realize the "vroom" sound is generated by an internal combustion engine.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-13-2020, 09:24 AM)Last42min Wrote: On a side note, I think there's a special place in hell for governments that research biological warfare. It's one thing to want to study existing virus to find cures, but it's another thing entirely to try to genetically modify virus to make them more deadly. I'm not saying it's certain China made this, but this whole ordeal has me particularly incensed that this is even a thing.

The virus emerged from a city with one of the largest virology labs in the world--a lab run by a government that has demonstrated that they don't really care much for the rules. I have very little doubt that this was engineered there, and not too much doubt that it was intentionally released into the marketplace where it's thought to have initially spread. And if it is ever proven that it was engineered and intentionally released, well, that's cause for a response on a global scale that's a little more harsh than a slap on the wrist and a tariff. As far as I'm concerned, anyway.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020, 11:08 AM by Gabe.)

(03-13-2020, 09:54 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did Trump fire the pandemic response team and did he cut funding to the CDC?

I'm more interested to see if Politifact determines whether or not he suppressed aggressive testing in January out concerns regarding threats to his reelection campaign - as was stated by the (likely soon-to-be-former) HHS Secretary Alex Azar. 

https://twitter.com/nprfreshair/status/1...9690429440
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-13-2020, 11:01 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 09:24 AM)Last42min Wrote: On a side note, I think there's a special place in hell for governments that research biological warfare. It's one thing to want to study existing virus to find cures, but it's another thing entirely to try to genetically modify virus to make them more deadly. I'm not saying it's certain China made this, but this whole ordeal has me particularly incensed that this is even a thing.

The virus emerged from a city with one of the largest virology labs in the world--a lab run by a government that has demonstrated that they don't really care much for the rules. I have very little doubt that this was engineered there, and not too much doubt that it was intentionally released into the marketplace where it's thought to have initially spread. And if it is ever proven that it was engineered and intentionally released, well, that's cause for a response on a global scale that's a little more harsh than a slap on the wrist and a tariff. As far as I'm concerned, anyway.

Is it the AIDS/HIV of the flu that will never be cured?  An infected individual will have to constantly battle on and off high fever spikes and difficulty breathing.  Eventually losing the battle to death.

Boles closing all 4 campuses how long until the other schools follow?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(03-12-2020, 11:37 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 06:45 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Right now? Are these people amateurs? I’ve had my dad locked down and supplied for weeks now! He’s a heart patient with copd. He shouldn’t have to leave his house until next spring!

What a wonderful daughter. 

Besides that drink-fight-probation cycle you've got going on there, you're awesome.

If people would just leave me alone...just sayin!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???