Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-14-2020, 06:13 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 06:07 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: No, not that serious. The flu has already killed tens of thousands this year while the Spanish flu killed tens of millions. But I understand. HOW CAN WE NOT REACT TO ALL CAPS?

The corona virus is just a media creation. Amazed the government and all those businesses are reacting to it so strongly

It is a serious contagion that has caused some overreaction. As long as those who are most susceptible are informed of its dangers in order to take adequate measures, that is what is most important. Yes, it is being hyped considerably.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-14-2020, 06:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 06:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: The corona virus is just a media creation. Amazed the government and all those businesses are reacting to it so strongly

It is a serious contagion that has caused some overreaction. As long as those who are most susceptible are informed of its dangers in order to take adequate measures, that is what is most important. Yes, it is being hyped considerably.

Agreed!

(03-14-2020, 06:40 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 06:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It is a serious contagion that has caused some overreaction. As long as those who are most susceptible are informed of its dangers in order to take adequate measures, that is what is most important. Yes, it is being hyped considerably.

Agreed!

I mistook your your statements as snark. My apologies.

Besides, I’m still miffed The Players was cancelled. I was going to spend a day there with my son. Not a chance we get much anymore now that he has his own family.

Up yours, coronavirus!

There are reports coming out of Italy that they're literally letting people die because they don't have the resources to help everyone that's infected. But hey, it's just a flu. nothing to worry about eh?

Oh BTW, Italy has a population of roughly 66 million people. They have more hospital beds than the whole of the US combined (330 million people). But hey, it's just the flu, you'll be fine.

Coronavirus is interesting to me, on the one hand, it’s pretty similar to a virus that’s cause a common cold. On the other hand, this one is basically causing SARS in crrtain populations and even those who recover, some have 30% reduced lung capacity and there is a possibility of pulmonary fibrosis. I hope I don’t get it, but with my line of work and the amount of people that have no symptoms I am probably doomed. At least it isn’t very deadly in my age range.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(03-14-2020, 08:28 PM)DragonFury Wrote: There are reports coming out of Italy that they're literally letting people die because they don't have the resources to help everyone that's infected. But hey, it's just a flu. nothing to worry about eh?

Oh BTW, Italy has a population of roughly 66 million people. They have more hospital beds than the whole of the US combined (330 million people). But hey, it's just the flu, you'll be fine.

“They have more hospital beds than the whole of the US combined.”

No they don’t.

(03-14-2020, 10:19 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Coronavirus is interesting to me, on the one hand, it’s pretty similar to a virus that’s cause a common cold.  On the other hand, this one is basically causing SARS in crrtain populations and even those who recover, some have 30% reduced lung capacity and there is a possibility of pulmonary fibrosis. I hope I don’t get it, but with my line of work and the amount of people that have no symptoms I am probably doomed. At least it isn’t very deadly in my age range.

It's official name is SARS-CoV-2 but named it COVID-19 so people wouldn't freak out over the SARS acronym.

Today there was still no TP, few options for paper towels, no disinfecting cleaners or wipes of any kind, almost no bottleled water, and no hand sanitizer of any kind. This is in every grocery store, every 'dollar' store, walmart, office supply stores, etc., in my county. A lot of canned food, dried beans, rice, flour, etc., is almost gone.

One of the Food Lion stores is a client of ours and when we were advising them we were going to have to replace a pump in their septic system the manager told us that store has done more business since Thursday than they have ever done....EVER. And they're a steady business kind of store. She said their distribution center is out of TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer, disinfecting cleaners and wipes, and chicken among other things. Harris Teeter and Publix are only open 5am-9pm Sunday-Saturday until they decide otherwise so they can clean the stores and restock shelves. School has been cancelled until sometime in April and most, if not all churches are not holding services for at least the next two weeks.

Thankfully my husband has an essential job so he can't be laid off or hours decreased. I mean, you can't shut down a waste water plant.

I scored two large bottles of hand sanitizer. They are now worth more than my 401k! Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2020, 05:25 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-14-2020, 10:42 PM)hailtoyourvictor Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 08:28 PM)DragonFury Wrote: There are reports coming out of Italy that they're literally letting people die because they don't have the resources to help everyone that's infected. But hey, it's just a flu. nothing to worry about eh?

No they don’t.

What I read was that they have more hospital beds per capita than we do in the US.

(03-14-2020, 11:20 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/123...07264?s=19

I would think an antibiotic would be the worst thing to take for COVID-19.  It has no effect on a virus and it whacks your system.  I'm no doctor, but why in the world would a person with COVID-19 go on an antibiotic?

(03-14-2020, 10:42 PM)hailtoyourvictor Wrote:

No they don’t.

You're right actually. I misinterpreted something I read in an article, here's the full figures to be exact:

Korea: 12.3 beds per 1000 people. 51 million population: roughly 628.000 beds total.
Italy: 3.2 beds per 1000 people. 66 million population: roughly 211.000 beds total.
USA: 2.8 beds per 1000 people. 330 million population: roughly 924.000 beds total.

An article regarding Vitamin C levels and haptoglobin as it relates to racial markers and COVID-19

https://vdare.com/articles/coronavirus-a...ts-borders

(03-15-2020, 06:52 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 10:42 PM)hailtoyourvictor Wrote: “They have more hospital beds than the whole of the US combined.”

No they don’t.

You're right actually. I misinterpreted something I read in an article, here's the full figures to be exact:

Korea: 12.3 beds per 1000 people. 51 million population: roughly 628.000 beds total.
Italy: 3.2 beds per 1000 people. 66 million population: roughly 211.000 beds total.
USA: 2.8 beds per 1000 people. 330 million population: roughly 924.000 beds total.

And the ratio of critical care beds tell a completely different story.

[Image: 960x0.jpg?fit=scale]

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-15-2020, 05:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 10:42 PM)hailtoyourvictor Wrote: “They have more hospital beds than the whole of the US combined.”

No they don’t.

What I read was that they have more hospital beds per capita than we do in the US.

(03-14-2020, 11:20 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/123...07264?s=19

I would think an antibiotic would be the worst thing to take for COVID-19.  It has no effect on a virus and it whacks your system.  I'm no doctor, but why in the world would a person with COVID-19 go on an antibiotic?

People with certain history or in immune compromised states are given broad spectrum antibiotics (Levaquin for instance) for prophylaxis. In that particular case they're probably less concerned about Corona and very concerned about pneumonia.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Maybe it would be nice if the media reported people who have recovered from COVID-19.

(03-15-2020, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Maybe it would be nice if the media reported people who have recovered from COVID-19.

Why bother people with the Truth?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-15-2020, 09:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Maybe it would be nice if the media reported people who have recovered from COVID-19.

Why bother people with the Truth?

Not sure the media completely grasps the impact the panic they have created is having on small business, some of which will never recover from this. I'm sure they are proud of themselves.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2020, 09:30 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-15-2020, 09:18 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 09:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Why bother people with the Truth?

Not sure the media completely grasps the impact the panic they have created is having on small business, some of which will never recover from this. I'm sure they are proud of themselves.

I don't know why you guys want to blame the media for this.  It's not the media that shut down Italy and Spain.  It's not the media that's urging people all over the world to do social distancing.  It's not the media that shut down all the sports.  And it's not the media that declared a national emergency.  

All the media is doing is reporting stuff.

It seems like you guys want the media to stick its head in the sand and pretend everything is okay.  But your own guy, Donald Trump has declared a national emergency!  And it's his own administration who is urging people to stay away from each other.

And as far as your assertion that the media doesn't understand the impact of this crisis on small business, the New York Times alone has several articles today about the impact on small business.  But I understand if all you read and watch is Fox News, you do miss a lot of stuff.

(03-15-2020, 09:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 09:18 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Not sure the media completely grasps the impact the panic they have created is having on small business, some of which will never recover from this. I'm sure they are proud of themselves.

I don't know why you guys want to blame the media for this.  It's not the media that shut down Italy and Spain.  It's not the media that's urging people all over the world to do social distancing.  It's not the media that shut down all the sports.  And it's not the media that declared a national emergency.  

All the media is doing is reporting stuff.

It seems like you guys want the media to stick its head in the sand and pretend everything is okay.  But your own guy, Donald Trump has declared a national emergency!  And it's his own administration who is urging people to stay away from each other.

And as far as your assertion that the media doesn't understand the impact of this crisis on small business, the New York Times alone has several articles today about the impact on small business.  But I understand if all you read and watch is Fox News, you do miss a lot of stuff.

Social distancing and event cancellations are driven by lawyers, not the media or public health officials. On that same token, there are multitudes more recovering from the virus than those who are seriously stricken or dying, but the media is not interested in reporting that. 

Btw, is anyone in on the Tom Hanks and wife death watch? After all, they are in their 60s, thus certainly doomed for a visit from the Grim Reaper.