Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(03-11-2020, 08:51 PM)Jags Wrote: Saw a commercial for Kentucky Fried Chicken Doughnut sandwich.  Just advertise “Heart Attacks”.

Just remember, heart disease is the #1 killer in America, but we all freaked out over Covid-19 while marketing the "KFC-MCI."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-09-2020, 07:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Spent 3 glorious days un-plugged (for the most part) out in the middle of the woods.  No email, no television and no internet.  Sadly it's back to work tomorrow and back to the "connected" world.  At least it's a short work week.  I can't wait to get back out there next weekend and hop on a tractor.

Nice. Could use a break like that. Been wanting to get back up to the rocky's or smoky's for awhile now. Maybe next year. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-12-2020, 11:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 08:51 PM)Jags Wrote: Saw a commercial for Kentucky Fried Chicken Doughnut sandwich.  Just advertise “Heart Attacks”.

Just remember, heart disease is the #1 killer in America, but we all freaked out over Covid-19 while marketing the "KFC-MCI."

You can’t catch heart disease from other people not washing their nasty hands! Laughing Laughing Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2020, 07:31 PM by Jags.)

(03-11-2020, 07:03 PM)Jags Wrote: We decided to go to some of the in-laws and park our travel trailer.  They just called, we’ll cook a hog and I had already committed myself to bring a bushel of oysters.  Sounds like a good time.  Until... I’m asked to slaughter the hog and clean it.  Ok...   ok.... sure, teach me.  They taste really good.  I was assured they don’t smell as bad as squirrels.   Which I’ve cleaned a few times.  TBH, I think I’m being tested.  Whatever, bring it, I’ll pass your test

After the drinks wore off, being the one that slaughters the hog kicked in.  I’m all for meat.  How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat??  I realize everything I’ve ever grilled was killed.   But, it’s not like I’m hunting.  It’s up close and personal.  My brother-in-law called. He let me off the hook if I decide to chicken out.  Whew!   I’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

(03-12-2020, 06:40 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 11:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Just remember, heart disease is the #1 killer in America, but we all freaked out over Covid-19 while marketing the "KFC-MCI."

You can’t catch heart disease from other people not washing their nasty hands! Laughing Laughing Laughing

That’s very true.  But despite that, if this is that contagious, even if it’s not bad.  I STIlL don’t WANT it.

(03-12-2020, 07:30 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 07:03 PM)Jags Wrote: We decided to go to some of the in-laws and park our travel trailer.  They just called, we’ll cook a hog and I had already committed myself to bring a bushel of oysters.  Sounds like a good time.  Until... I’m asked to slaughter the hog and clean it.  Ok...   ok.... sure, teach me.  They taste really good.  I was assured they don’t smell as bad as squirrels.   Which I’ve cleaned a few times.  TBH, I think I’m being tested.  Whatever, bring it, I’ll pass your test

After the drinks wore off, being the one that slaughters the hog kicked in.  I’m all for meat.  How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat??  I realize everything I’ve ever grilled was killed.   But, it’s not like I’m hunting.  It’s up close and personal.  My brother-in-law called. He let me off the hook if I decide to chicken out.  Whew!   I’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

(03-12-2020, 06:40 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: You can’t catch heart disease from other people not washing their nasty hands! Laughing Laughing Laughing

That’s very true.  But despite that, if this is that contagious, even if it’s not bad.  I STIlL don’t WANT it.

Slaughtering a hog isn't really that big of a deal.  Just shoot it in the forehead with a .22 LR, slit it's throat to bleed it out and hang it by the hind hooves to skin/gut it.  I've done many of them over the years.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-14-2020, 04:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:30 PM)Jags Wrote: After the drinks wore off, being the one that slaughters the hog kicked in.  I’m all for meat.  How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat??  I realize everything I’ve ever grilled was killed.   But, it’s not like I’m hunting.  It’s up close and personal.  My brother-in-law called. He let me off the hook if I decide to chicken out.  Whew!   I’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

Slaughtering a hog isn't really that big of a deal.  Just shoot it in the forehead with a .22 LR, slit it's throat to bleed it out and hang it by the hind hooves to skin/gut it.  I've done many of them over the years.
Yea guys.... not that big of a deal. Just do all those things.

(03-14-2020, 07:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 04:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Slaughtering a hog isn't really that big of a deal.  Just shoot it in the forehead with a .22 LR, slit it's throat to bleed it out and hang it by the hind hooves to skin/gut it.  I've done many of them over the years.
Yea guys.... not that big of a deal. Just do all those things.

He left out the retching part.

(03-15-2020, 07:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 07:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yea guys.... not that big of a deal. Just do all those things.

You get used to the smell.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-15-2020, 07:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 07:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yea guys.... not that big of a deal. Just do all those things.

(03-15-2020, 09:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 07:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He left out the retching part.

You get used to the smell.

LOL.  I grew up around and was involved in slaughtering many animals from the time I was around 7 or 8 years old until I left my hometown for my military service.  Since I have lived in Florida I have only done a couple of hogs and deer.  You get used to it and it really isn't that big of a deal.  One really big key is to have a good sharp knife.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My redneck weekend has terminated. Was a lot of fun. But my wife’s family wore my [BLEEP] out! I’ve got the rest of the week off until I return to what I now understand is a comfy job of mowing 20-25 lawns a day. I used to think they were lazy since none of them have a job. I’m debating on wether I’m wrong or they just used me to get their [BLEEP] done for them. I’ve been with wifey for 18 years, married 11 and lived on her family’s property for 6 yrs at one time. So this shouldn’t have been anything new. [BLEEP] it, who cares? Had fun. Cracking open a cold one, cheers to all!

(03-16-2020, 05:49 PM)Jags Wrote: My redneck weekend has terminated.  Was a lot of fun.  But my wife’s family wore my [BLEEP] out!  I’ve got the rest of the week off until I return to what I now understand is a comfy job of mowing 20-25 lawns a day.  I used to think they were lazy since none of them have a job.   I’m debating on wether I’m wrong or they just used me to get their [BLEEP] done for them.  I’ve been with wifey for 18 years, married 11 and lived on her family’s property for 6 yrs at one time.  So this shouldn’t have been anything new.  [BLEEP] it, who cares?   Had fun.  Cracking open a cold one, cheers to all!

You get to choose your friends.  Inlaws……..…you're stuck with whoever comes along with the marriage.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 06:16 PM by Jags.)

(03-16-2020, 06:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 05:49 PM)Jags Wrote: My redneck weekend has terminated.  Was a lot of fun.  But my wife’s family wore my [BLEEP] out!  I’ve got the rest of the week off until I return to what I now understand is a comfy job of mowing 20-25 lawns a day.  I used to think they were lazy since none of them have a job.   I’m debating on wether I’m wrong or they just used me to get their [BLEEP] done for them.  I’ve been with wifey for 18 years, married 11 and lived on her family’s property for 6 yrs at one time.  So this shouldn’t have been anything new.  [BLEEP] it, who cares?   Had fun.  Cracking open a cold one, cheers to all!

You get to choose your friends.  Inlaws……..…you're stuck with whoever comes along with the marriage.

They’re substantially older than I am.  My wife’s parents had a “late” child.  So her father, sisters and bro-in-laws are all about 15-20 years older.  Well, dad is even older than that(obviously).  So...   not to sound grim or anything, but they’ll....not be holding their same positions in time.   So good, bad, idk.  But I learned a few things and we had a great time. Had oysters that I brought up along the way and ate well.    They really enjoy when we come up to hang for a bit when it isn’t a holiday or anything. We also found a property or two that looks enticing.

It’s kinda sad. My wife is the only one in the family that went to college and made something of herself. So they think she is “rich”. Don’t get me wrong, they’re proud of her/us. But I’m also seeing we live in the hectic world and they aren’t and have more land. To each their own. I’ll find that happy medium of being able to afford what’s important and having seclusion.

You do 20 a day?

(03-17-2020, 01:41 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

You do 20 a day?

Yes sir.  That or more.  Idk if that is high or low in your area.  Over here it’s about the norm with the size of the lawns and a tight schedule.   A two person crew that is experienced can do 3 an hour easily if your route is not all over the place.

(03-17-2020, 06:45 AM)Jags Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 01:41 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You do 20 a day?

Yes sir.  That or more.  Idk if that is high or low in your area.  Over here it’s about the norm with the size of the lawns and a tight schedule.   A two person crew that is experienced can do 3 an hour easily if your route is not all over the place.

The guy that does mine also does 2 other homes across the street at the same time.  That's mowing, edging, weed-eating and blowing off the sidewalks/driveways.  It takes him less than an hour to do all three (around 45 minutes).  He also does a few others up the street on the same day so he knocks out probably the same number as you.

(03-17-2020, 06:45 AM)Jags Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 01:41 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You do 20 a day?

I have no idea what they do in my area. That seems like a lot to me though, I always assumed one yard equaled roughly an hour. 

Maybe because I suck, my yard sucks, and my mower really sucks lol.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 02:17 PM by Jags.)

(03-17-2020, 01:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 06:45 AM)Jags Wrote: Yes sir.  That or more.  Idk if that is high or low in your area.  Over here it’s about the norm with the size of the lawns and a tight schedule.   A two person crew that is experienced can do 3 an hour easily if your route is not all over the place.

The guy that does mine also does 2 other homes across the street at the same time.  That's mowing, edging, weed-eating and blowing off the sidewalks/driveways.  It takes him less than an hour to do all three (around 45 minutes).  He also does a few others up the street on the same day so he knocks out probably the same number as you.

The multi lawn stops are what we all seek.  Throughout the years, we’ve developed our route to be as much of those as possible.  With a 3 person crew, we have achieved just over 6 an hour.  I think with 2, my highest per hour was around 5.25.  That’s on a day where we didn’t have hedges to deal with and the mower just kept going as the other guys followed behind.

(03-17-2020, 01:41 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 06:45 AM)Jags Wrote: Yes sir.  That or more.  Idk if that is high or low in your area.  Over here it’s about the norm with the size of the lawns and a tight schedule.   A two person crew that is experienced can do 3 an hour easily if your route is not all over the place.

I have no idea what they do in my area. That seems like a lot to me though, I always assumed one yard equaled roughly an hour. 

Yard size plays a big factor.  After that, it’s really the equipment and endurance.

(03-17-2020, 02:16 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 01:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The guy that does mine also does 2 other homes across the street at the same time.  That's mowing, edging, weed-eating and blowing off the sidewalks/driveways.  It takes him less than an hour to do all three (around 45 minutes).  He also does a few others up the street on the same day so he knocks out probably the same number as you.

The multi lawn stops are what we all seek.  Throughout the years, we’ve developed our route to be as much of those as possible.  With a 3 person crew, we have achieved just over 6 an hour.  I think with 2, my highest per hour was around 5.25.  That’s on a day where we didn’t have hedges to deal with and the mower just kept going as the other guys followed behind.

(03-17-2020, 01:41 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I have no idea what they do in my area. That seems like a lot to me though, I always assumed one yard equaled roughly an hour. 

Yard size plays a big factor.  After that, it’s really the equipment and endurance.

Ah, a crew. Here it's usually one guy.

(03-17-2020, 02:16 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 01:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The guy that does mine also does 2 other homes across the street at the same time.  That's mowing, edging, weed-eating and blowing off the sidewalks/driveways.  It takes him less than an hour to do all three (around 45 minutes).  He also does a few others up the street on the same day so he knocks out probably the same number as you.

(03-17-2020, 01:41 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I have no idea what they do in my area. That seems like a lot to me though, I always assumed one yard equaled roughly an hour. 

I can understand and see where the multi lawn stops would be more profitable.  The guy that does our home sometimes has one or two people working with him (usually in the summer months when the yard needs to be done more frequently).  As kind of a bonus he does trim our trees and a Sago Palm when needed though that isn't part of our agreement.  I think he does it just to make mowing easier on him and I have no problem with it.

We do take good care of him and his "employees".  When they come by my wife always makes sure that she has a cold Gatorade to give each of them and we do give him a "bonus" every now and then, especially around Christmas time.

He's a really good guy that lives in our neighborhood and takes care of his clients (we have many "seasoned citizens" that live here).  After major storms he always comes around to see if we need any assistance (no charge).  I saw him after one of the major storms that we had help a neighbor with cutting up and getting rid of a huge Oak tree that had fallen over.  He refused to take payment for it and said to "pay it forward".

I admire people like you that work hard for a living without the need to take out a huge student loan for a college degree that doesn't amount to anything.

No lawn service here. It takes about 2 hours to mow, trim and edge my yard. The worst part is getting jolted awake from my nap when the wife gets close to the house with the mower. I really need to get one of those electric jobbers. But I do my part by having the mower gassed up and waiting outside when she gets home from work. She's so lucky. I'm quite the catch.