Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

The US is reporting ~ 4,500 new cases since yesterday.
Total now at 26,747 confirmed cases.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 10:52 AM by jj82284.)

(03-22-2020, 07:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here is a really good article:  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opini...e=Homepage

Quote:  
============================
We routinely differentiate between two kinds of military action: the inevitable carnage and collateral damage of diffuse hostilities, and the precision of a “surgical strike,” methodically targeted to the sources of our particular peril. The latter, when executed well, minimizes resources and unintended consequences alike.

As we battle the coronavirus pandemic, and heads of state declare that we are “at war” with this contagion, the same dichotomy applies. This can be open war, with all the fallout that portends, or it could be something more surgical. The United States and much of the world so far have gone in for the former. I write now with a sense of urgency to make sure we consider the surgical approach, while there is still time.

I am deeply concerned that the social, economic and public health consequences of this near total meltdown of normal life — schools and businesses closed, gatherings banned — will be long lasting and calamitous, possibly graver than the direct toll of the virus itself. The stock market will bounce back in time, but many businesses never will. The unemployment, impoverishment and despair likely to result will be public health scourges of the first order.

Worse, I fear our efforts will do little to contain the virus, because we have a resource-constrained, fragmented, perennially underfunded public health system. Distributing such limited resources so widely, so shallowly and so haphazardly is a formula for failure.
=========================
End Quote

The ironic thing is, with all the young people ignoring the entreaties to practice social distancing, while the older population hunkers down and avoids other people, we may be accomplishing what the author suggested: building the herd immunity we need to get past this.

So it might be that the best thing would be for some of you younger guys and gals to go out, get sick, and get well, while we isolate the old folks and people with underlying conditions.

+1

(03-22-2020, 09:53 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 07:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here is a really good article:  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opini...e=Homepage

Quote:  
============================
We routinely differentiate between two kinds of military action: the inevitable carnage and collateral damage of diffuse hostilities, and the precision of a “surgical strike,” methodically targeted to the sources of our particular peril. The latter, when executed well, minimizes resources and unintended consequences alike.

As we battle the coronavirus pandemic, and heads of state declare that we are “at war” with this contagion, the same dichotomy applies. This can be open war, with all the fallout that portends, or it could be something more surgical. The United States and much of the world so far have gone in for the former. I write now with a sense of urgency to make sure we consider the surgical approach, while there is still time.

I am deeply concerned that the social, economic and public health consequences of this near total meltdown of normal life — schools and businesses closed, gatherings banned — will be long lasting and calamitous, possibly graver than the direct toll of the virus itself. The stock market will bounce back in time, but many businesses never will. The unemployment, impoverishment and despair likely to result will be public health scourges of the first order.

Worse, I fear our efforts will do little to contain the virus, because we have a resource-constrained, fragmented, perennially underfunded public health system. Distributing such limited resources so widely, so shallowly and so haphazardly is a formula for failure.
=========================
End Quote

The ironic thing is, with all the young people ignoring the entreaties to practice social distancing, while the older population hunkers down and avoids other people, we may be accomplishing what the author suggested: building the herd immunity we need to get past this.

So it might be that the best thing would be for some of you younger guys and gals to go out, get sick, and get well, while we isolate the old folks and people with underlying conditions.

Except there are plenty of young people being hospitalized with no underlying conditions

Examples

(03-22-2020, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The US is reporting ~ 4,500 new cases since yesterday.

Raw data is spiking because testing is spiking.

Were two months into this on the US side. When was the last time u head anyone on the total lockdown side of the fence acknowledge how many people die for every 1% increase in unemployment. Did imperial college even acknowledge that exists?

I think within a few weeks the economic pressure will become so great, the government will declare some sort of limited victory, and tell the young people to get back out there, while encouraging the old folks to stay isolated. Didn't Fauci the other day said it would be "a few weeks?"

Maybe it's evidence of me being a moderate, but I am starting to think the ultimate solution to the crisis will be a little of this and a little of that. Isolate the old folks, build the herd immunity among the younger and stronger people by letting them get sick, come up with some treatment options, and just sort of work our way through it.

(03-22-2020, 10:48 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The US is reporting ~ 4,500 new cases since yesterday.

Raw data is spiking because testing is spiking.

US data has not really even begun to "spike."  It's just beginning to ramp up.

(03-22-2020, 11:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think within a few weeks the economic pressure will become so great, the government will declare some sort of limited victory, and tell the young people to get back out there, while encouraging the old folks to stay isolated.  Didn't Fauci the other day said it would be "a few weeks?"  

Maybe it's evidence of me being a moderate, but I am starting to think the ultimate solution to the crisis will be a little of this and a little of that.  Isolate the old folks, build the herd immunity among the younger and stronger people by letting them get sick, come up with some treatment options, and just sort of work our way through it.

The problem is where to draw the line between young and old, healthy or elevated risk and how do you then provide support for those to be isolated.  I don't see any easy answer.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 11:50 AM by JagsorDie.)

(03-22-2020, 11:23 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 11:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think within a few weeks the economic pressure will become so great, the government will declare some sort of limited victory, and tell the young people to get back out there, while encouraging the old folks to stay isolated.  Didn't Fauci the other day said it would be "a few weeks?"  

Maybe it's evidence of me being a moderate, but I am starting to think the ultimate solution to the crisis will be a little of this and a little of that.  Isolate the old folks, build the herd immunity among the younger and stronger people by letting them get sick, come up with some treatment options, and just sort of work our way through it.

The problem is where to draw the line between young and old, healthy or elevated risk and how do you then provide support for those to be isolated.  I don't see any easy answer.

I agree. Age is the obvious choice that most are using, But I don’t think that really determines much these days. I have family who are over 50 who could run laps around a 30 y/o all day and probably have the immune system of someone far younger. And At the same time I have some family who are over 50 who look like they are going on 70.

But other than age, what metric can you use? There just isn’t an easy gauge.

It's been a few days since the US started to ramp up testing. That puts us 9-12 days from getting real numbers in, and that's just the areas that have significant numbers of tests out there. I know we're to the point of, "everyone knows someone who works at a hospital," but I'll throw in my two cents anyway. A friend of the family is high up the food chain at a large hospital in Texas, and they're expecting to hit the peak in 2-3 months. He's also very concerned about what could happen if Trump throws a "mission accomplished" party, opens up international travel and sends the world back to work and play too soon.

One interesting number out of NY today is that of all of the confirmed positive tests in that state, only 13% have been immediately hospitalized.

Minor encouragement there. Obviously that's a number in flux, but... trying to find silver linings here and there.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 01:34 PM by jj82284.)

...  yeh....

(03-22-2020, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: One interesting number out of NY today is that of all of the confirmed positive tests in that state, only 13% have been immediately hospitalized.

Minor encouragement there. Obviously that's a number in flux, but...  trying to find silver linings here and there.

That number has been declining globally.

(03-22-2020, 11:49 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 11:23 AM)Sneakers Wrote: The problem is where to draw the line between young and old, healthy or elevated risk and how do you then provide support for those to be isolated.  I don't see any easy answer.

I agree. Age is the obvious choice that most are using, But I don’t think that really determines much these days. I have family who are over 50 who could run laps around a 30 y/o all day and probably have the immune system of someone far younger. And At the same time I have some family who are over 50 who look like they are going on 70.

Let people make their own decisions.  That's the only way to best represent the risk profiles of 330 million individuals.  

Those 65 or older are already the least likely to be working and most likely to already be on government assistance in direct cash payments and supplemented medical insurance.  Its easiest for them to stay home with the least impact on the economy. 

Also, offer the resources to those with underlying conditions or weakened immune systems to stay home.  Let those healthy enough to take the risk of economic activity keep the economy churning.

(03-22-2020, 01:42 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 11:49 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I agree. Age is the obvious choice that most are using, But I don’t think that really determines much these days. I have family who are over 50 who could run laps around a 30 y/o all day and probably have the immune system of someone far younger. And At the same time I have some family who are over 50 who look like they are going on 70.

Let people make their own decisions. 

But how can we be in control if we let people do what they want instead of what we insist they do?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-22-2020, 12:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 02:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Latest US totals at the Johns-Hopkins site are:
22,177 confirmed cases
278 deaths
147 recoveries

(FL - 659 confirmed cases - that's an increase of 106 cases since this morning's update)

FL now at 763. 

up to 830 in FL

over 31,000 in US

I am convinced that if I do have it I have a mild case of it as my symptoms have decreased over the last couple of days.  I do think that the panic and hysteria is amplified by the media (social and traditional).  Just my opinion, but I think it's no worse than the common flu to the majority of people.

I don't want to minimize the severity of the outbreak because it does affect people different than me.  It could be deadly to our seasoned citizens as well as others with underlying health conditions.  I do think that the average person would recover just fine from it.

If anything it is teaching people to practice good hygiene.  Really the best prevention is to wash your freaking hands.  That should be done anytime you go to the bathroom or prior to handling food.

What is frustrating is when my wife gets sent home for a normal "head cold" (congested and stuffed up nasal passages) and she gets told that she can not return to work until she has a doctor's note.  It's normal for us to get congested during this high pollen season (oak pollen in particular).  The problem with that is IF her doctor agrees to meet with her he is not going to send her for a test because she doesn't have any of the key symptoms.  Most likely he is going to give her the standard "stay at home for 2 weeks" answer.

Meanwhile that doctor had to use valuable supplies that are limited at this point (masks and gloves).  Those supplies need to be available for them (the doctors) to use for patients that really need treatment.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-22-2020, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: One interesting number out of NY today is that of all of the confirmed positive tests in that state, only 13% have been immediately hospitalized.

Minor encouragement there. Obviously that's a number in flux, but...  trying to find silver linings here and there.

That is the number that people need to focus on. Tons of people will get it, 80% if you believe some people, so focus on how bad it effects people.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 03:55 PM by jj82284.)

(03-22-2020, 03:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I am convinced that if I do have it I have a mild case of it as my symptoms have decreased over the last couple of days.  I do think that the panic and hysteria is amplified by the media (social and traditional).  Just my opinion, but I think it's no worse than the common flu to the majority of people.

I don't want to minimize the severity of the outbreak because it does affect people different than me.  It could be deadly to our seasoned citizens as well as others with underlying health conditions.  I do think that the average person would recover just fine from it.

If anything it is teaching people to practice good hygiene.  Really the best prevention is to wash your freaking hands.  That should be done anytime you go to the bathroom or prior to handling food.

What is frustrating is when my wife gets sent home for a normal "head cold" (congested and stuffed up nasal passages) and she gets told that she can not return to work until she has a doctor's note.  It's normal for us to get congested during this high pollen season (oak pollen in particular).  The problem with that is IF her doctor agrees to meet with her he is not going to send her for a test because she doesn't have any of the key symptoms.  Most likely he is going to give her the standard "stay at home for 2 weeks" answer.

Meanwhile that doctor had to use valuable supplies that are limited at this point (masks and gloves).  Those supplies need to be available for them (the doctors) to use for patients that really need treatment.

+1 #common sense

Rand Paul tests positive.....

Ohio, Illinois, and Louisiana all have stay @ home orders.

Just as an aside, we dont all live on subsistence farms. The modern integrated economy is responsible for the survival of hundreds of millions of people. You cant just shut it down with no consequences.

Pelosi has blood on her hands.

(03-22-2020, 05:33 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Pelosi has blood on her hands.

LOL. I don't think the spread of the virus will be affected by an economic stimulus package... Quarantines, closing public places, medical tests, and things like that are what affect the spread of the virus...
Like you I wish our Congress had already come up with an agreement for the economic side of things, but when the founders gave us a house and a senate, they did not expect one to just do whatever the other said.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We talked about nationalization of industry in passing like Deblasio was crazy. It turns out that the President already has the unilateral authority! Cuomo is talking about taking over the entire economy in ways we cant comprehend. If anyone wants to see a world class defense of free markets and voluntary economic exchange look how Trump answered the question on the defense production act!