Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(03-24-2020, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 10:45 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: So... you think local government is too inept to handle things?

Jacksonville, which is no where near at capacity in the hospitals is setting up an emergency hospital with 250 ICU beds.

Meanwhile the Feds claim to have stockpiles and to be acquiring more stock.  Yet they are NOT expediting this stock to states where hospitals are breaking safety protocol to continue treating patients, therefore endangering lives of hospital staff. 

This inaction is bordering on criminal at this point. The supply chain is not healthy enough to provide crucial medical supplies during a pandemic and it must be augmented by the federal government so that lives are not needlessly lost. 

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the Fed is stockpiling gear? You think they are just screwing with the states or hoarding it for politicians? The reality is that we are not even getting hit hard by this yet. I suspect that if there's hoarding, it's to move it to areas that are being hit so hard they don't have an alternative but to get federal assistance. I agree about the masks, but the contract with 3M just started 5 days ago. Give it time to get ramped up. 

We would not have nearly the mask shortage if we had received our masks from China when this started. Look, I am not one to blame China for doing what they needed to do to get their problems under control. What I am suggesting, is that Trump was definitely right about manufacturing in the US. At the very least, I think we can agree, regardless of political affiliation, that we need to take a long, hard look at where our necessary goods are being produced.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-24-2020, 10:45 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: So... you think local government is too inept to handle things?

Jacksonville, which is no where near at capacity in the hospitals is setting up an emergency hospital with 250 ICU beds.

No. 

I think the supply chains and availability are overwhelmed by the demand for this protective gear. (and ventilators)
Meanwhile the Feds claim to have stockpiles and to be acquiring more stock.  Yet they are NOT expediting this stock to states where hospitals are breaking safety protocol to continue treating patients, therefore endangering lives of hospital staff. 

This inaction is bordering on criminal at this point. The supply chain is not healthy enough to provide crucial medical supplies during a pandemic and it must be augmented by the federal government so that lives are not needlessly lost. 

Two hospital workers just died from this virus a stone's throw from Jacksonville by the way. It's not about the capacity (yet) - it's about adequate measures to protect medical staff not being taken due to shortage of PPE.

That's speculation on your part.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-24-2020, 09:21 AM)Gabe Wrote: Dr. Fauci is gonzo. You don't disagree with OM at the podium

Fake news.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

No. 

I think the supply chains and availability are overwhelmed by the demand for this protective gear. (and ventilators)

Two hospital workers just died from this virus a stone's throw from Jacksonville by the way. It's not about the capacity (yet) - it's about adequate measures to protect medical staff not being taken due to shortage of PPE.

Not true.  Vice President Pence just talked about delivering ventilators from the stockpile to New York today with more on the way and expected to be there tomorrow (I don't remember the numbers).  He also spoke about how supplies are being allocated and distributed.

FOX News is holding a "virtual" town hall with The President and his staff right now where they are addressing questions from the people and this was one of the things brought up.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 01:50 PM by jj82284.)

(03-24-2020, 01:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: No. 

Not true.  Vice President Pence just talked about delivering ventilators from the stockpile to New York today with more on the way and expected to be there tomorrow (I don't remember the numbers).  He also spoke about how supplies are being allocated and distributed.

FOX News is holding a "virtual" town hall with The President and his staff right now where they are addressing questions from the people and this was one of the things brought up.

Apparently Cuomo turned down 16k ventilators 5 years ago...  This is the kind of tv u need in a quarantine.

No. 

With respect are you watching the daily briefs.  We've sent millions upon millions of units of pipe.  It's a high burn rate item in short supply in the middle of a global crisis.  Were seeing massive production massive shipments to try and satiate an unthinkable demand.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 01:52 PM by homebiscuit.)

Lenny Curry is threatening to cut utilities to any business which does not allow employees to work from home who are able to do so.

(03-24-2020, 01:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 09:21 AM)Gabe Wrote: Dr. Fauci is gonzo. You don't disagree with OM at the podium

Fake news.

Being facetious, of course - my meaning was that he's likely gone from press conferences. I'll retract if he's present at any of Trump's rallies press briefings going forward. Given his interview and offering clarifying/differing opinions from Trump at the podium, I considered his absence noticeable yesterday.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-24-2020, 01:55 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 01:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Fake news.

Being facetious, of course - my meaning was that he's likely gone from press conferences. I'll retract if he's present at any of Trump's rallies press briefings going forward. Given his interview and offering clarifying/differing opinions from Trump at the podium, I considered his absence noticeable yesterday.

I did as well, even though he really didn't say anything in opposition to the pres. The media is trying to stoke something. Regardless, I'm sure the doc appreciates the down time. That guy has been everywhere the last couple of weeks.

(03-24-2020, 01:55 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 01:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Fake news.

LOL.  No big deal.  President Trump was asked about it and he stated that the Dr. was busy in other meetings at the time.  Once again the media (MSM and social media) is pushing something that just is not true.

Dr. Fauci himself even explained his differing opinion and it makes sense.  President Trump has a "feeling" that the stated treatment would work.  It's based on a "feeling".  Dr. Fauci is a scientist and can't say something like that because he needs to see the results from a clinical trial (controlled tests).

One opinion is based on historical data while the other opinion is based on the results of clinical testing.  Both were optimistic the only difference is how both arrived at their opinion.

(03-24-2020, 02:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 01:55 PM)Gabe Wrote: Being facetious, of course - my meaning was that he's likely gone from press conferences. I'll retract if he's present at any of Trump's rallies press briefings going forward. Given his interview and offering clarifying/differing opinions from Trump at the podium, I considered his absence noticeable yesterday.

LOL.  No big deal.  President Trump was asked about it and he stated that the Dr. was busy in other meetings at the time.  Once again the media (MSM and social media) is pushing something that just is not true.

Dr. Fauci himself even explained his differing opinion and it makes sense.  President Trump has a "feeling" that the stated treatment would work.  It's based on a "feeling".  Dr. Fauci is a scientist and can't say something like that because he needs to see the results from a clinical trial (controlled tests).

One opinion is based on historical data while the other opinion is based on the results of clinical testing.  Both were optimistic the only difference is how both arrived at their opinion.
That opinion is fine. Mine is that we won't see him at any more Presidential briefings.

(03-24-2020, 02:46 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 02:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: LOL.  No big deal.  President Trump was asked about it and he stated that the Dr. was busy in other meetings at the time.  Once again the media (MSM and social media) is pushing something that just is not true.

That opinion is fine. Mine is that we won't see him at any more Presidential briefings.

If I was a betting man I would make that bet.  Here it is straight from the doctor's mouth.

Quote:"I was taking a purely medical, scientific standpoint, and the president was trying to bring hope to the people," Fauci [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]said Sunday on CBS's Face The Nation. "I think there's this issue of trying to separate the two of us. There isn't fundamentally a difference there. He's coming to it from a hope, layperson standpoint. I'm coming from it from a scientific standpoint."
[/font]

On Tuesday, Fauci had a stronger tone and called reporters reading into his absence at Monday's press briefing "ridiculous."

"There really is nothing like that going on at all," Fauci [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]told Philadelphia AM 990's The Answer.
[/font]

More than 46,000 U.S. citizens have [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]contracted the coronavirus, leading to 500 deaths as of Monday morning.
[/font]

When asked whether Trump disregards scientific evidence or data regarding the virus presented by the task force, Fauci said, "That is completely untrue."

"I meet with him virtually every day. He listens. I’ve never had a situation where I strongly suggested something to him that he rejected," Fauci told the Philadelphia radio station. "I think this idea that there is any conflict between the two of us is not based in any reality.”

No offense but once again, fake news being spread to people like you Gabe.

(03-24-2020, 03:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 02:46 PM)Gabe Wrote: That opinion is fine. Mine is that we won't see him at any more Presidential briefings.

If I was a betting man I would make that bet.

You trade in the stock market and you're not a betting man?  Big Grin

(03-24-2020, 03:34 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: If I was a betting man I would make that bet.

You trade in the stock market and you're not a betting man?  Big Grin

See the update to my post above.   Big Grin

Mr. Khan lends a helping hand.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 04:09 PM by Gabe.)

(03-24-2020, 03:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:34 PM)Gabe Wrote: You trade in the stock market and you're not a betting man?  Big Grin

See the update to my post above.   Big Grin

Again, for someone the public was looking to for answers, his absence was notable to me. It'll continue to be viewed that way by me as long as he remains absent from the podium. No offense taken. I know how the MSM (and I'm including FOX) will twist to specific narratives to get views

Side-note: Trump wants churches packed in 19 days. It's pessimistic of me, but I doubt we'll have flattened the curve by that point.

(03-24-2020, 03:48 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Mr. Khan lends a helping hand.

I do believe that there is a lot more of that happening from wealthy individuals "behind the scenes".  It's a good thing and in my opinion the right thing to do.  I do suspect that many want to stay out of the media and keep donations private.

(03-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: See the update to my post above.   Big Grin

Again, for someone the public was looking to for answers, his absence was notable to me. It'll continue to be viewed that way by me as long as he remains absent from the podium. No offense taken. I know how the MSM (and I'm including FOX) will twist to specific narratives to get views

It's not just the MSM (and I also include FOX News)  but also social media.  Once a narrative is determined it's "shared" across many platforms as "fact" even if it's not correct.  I respect you having your opinion and view regarding this non-issue, but I would caution against spreading the false narrative that he's (the Dr.) not in a press conference because his opinion differed from The President.  If it's announced that he is no longer a part of the Administration's task force, then it would be a different story.  I personally don't see that with the information available to us.

(03-24-2020, 04:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:48 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Mr. Khan lends a helping hand.

I do believe that there is a lot more of that happening from wealthy individuals "behind the scenes".  It's a good thing and in my opinion the right thing to do.  I do suspect that many want to stay out of the media and keep donations private.

(03-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Gabe Wrote: Again, for someone the public was looking to for answers, his absence was notable to me. It'll continue to be viewed that way by me as long as he remains absent from the podium. No offense taken. I know how the MSM (and I'm including FOX) will twist to specific narratives to get views

It's not just the MSM (and I also include FOX News)  but also social media.  Once a narrative is determined it's "shared" across many platforms as "fact" even if it's not correct.  I respect you having your opinion and view regarding this non-issue, but I would caution against spreading the false narrative that he's (the Dr.) not in a press conference because his opinion differed from The President.  If it's announced that he is no longer a part of the Administration's task force, then it would be a different story.  I personally don't see that with the information available to us.

This is why I enjoy coming here (sometimes). I couldn't have that healthy back & forth with, say, my mother.

I think the decision to end the en masse quarantine is a good one. 

Our economy will/would've ground into dust by mid-year.

(03-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: See the update to my post above.   Big Grin

Side-note: Trump wants churches packed in 19 days. It's pessimistic of me, but I doubt we'll have flattened the curve by that point.

Again, where has this been reported?  I haven't heard any such thing.  What I did hear from him today is that he is hoping that the country will be "open for business" by Easter.  I didn't hear anything about "churches being packed".  Once again it's fake news.

I'll go out on a limb here and speculate.  He was asked about the "stay at home" thing being lifted and he talked about wanting people to be able to get back to work.  He mentioned that the target date was "by Easter".  Easter is a religious holiday for some people.  I'm speculating that some leftist(s) interpreted that as him wanting "churches packed" and that is the narrative being spread on social media.

If you really think about it, what does "having churches packed" have anything to do with the crisis?  Do you really think that it's a priority for the administration right now?

Come on Gabe.  You seem to be reasonable.

(03-24-2020, 04:34 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I do believe that there is a lot more of that happening from wealthy individuals "behind the scenes".  It's a good thing and in my opinion the right thing to do.  I do suspect that many want to stay out of the media and keep donations private.

This is why I enjoy coming here (sometimes). I couldn't have that healthy back & forth with, say, my mother.

LOL.  I do enjoy a healthy debate.  A few years back I had a healthy debate with a friend's wife who is way far left regarding health care (during the Obamacare debates).  She is/was way far left in her point of view while it's no secret that I'm on the right.  We discussed and put forth our arguments in a civil manner and at the end of the evening agreed to disagree.  She was a dear friend but sadly she lost her battle with cancer this last year.  I have no problem listening to arguments from "the other side" as long as there is truth.