Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wanted to officially welcome you back to the 2013-2016 Jaguars

These signings scream 2013 Jaguars. I’ll be surprised if we win 4 games next year. What a joke

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(03-24-2020, 03:03 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: These signings scream 2013 Jaguars. I’ll be surprised if we win 4 games next year. What a joke

I mean, they're not going to the Superbowl..

but they have a much improved LB corps on paper and they brought in some competition for Herndon at CB.

The draft is where impact can be made... CAN be.

After the Coughlin aftermath, and the cap situation, signing big name splashy guys wasn't happening this off season.
Plug holes with stop gap guys and allow the draft to unfold as it should. Also freeing up cap space to hopefully sign Yan to a long term deal.

I'm glad they aren't cap cuffing themselves with stupid signings in a year that is likely to be a "growing pains" type season.

This is pretty much what a standard FA period looks like for teams. Dave's record spending limitless pocketbook of the previous few years that built us a talented but extremely hollow team is the extreme outlier.

Big Grin 

(03-24-2020, 03:03 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: These signings scream 2013 Jaguars. I’ll be surprised if we win 4 games next year. What a joke

True...man this is crazy. Watch how many people try to justify how good the moves are, what kind of comp it brings in and how much it helps with the cap.

(03-24-2020, 03:44 PM)D-Money Wrote:

True...man this is crazy. Watch how many people try to justify how good the moves are, what kind of comp it brings in and how much it helps with the cap.

So, who should we sign instead?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Depends on who they all walk away with in next month's draft and whether or not they catch any breaks with this year's schedule. This year's schedule is tough already on paper. 

I would like to see a 7 - 9 outing at the very least. But I am expecting another 5 - 6 win season. Fan base is demoralized. They're playing two "home" games across the pond. Just not much to be excited about outside of Minshew and this year's draft at this point.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 04:26 PM by TearExtractor.)

2020 is 100% a full rebuild year. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

(03-24-2020, 04:26 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: 2020 is 100% a full rebuild year. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Never. I refuse to adjust my expectations.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-24-2020, 04:01 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:44 PM)D-Money Wrote: True...man this is crazy. Watch how many people try to justify how good the moves are, what kind of comp it brings in and how much it helps with the cap.

So, who should we sign instead?

Might be a little to late but we have needs at alot of positions. Early we could have locked up a few different positions like  DB or Safety, TE, there were better DTs out then who we picked up. You keep the good you have and work them in with draft picks.Also is Al woods not  only 1 year younger than Calais, if you going older could have kept Calais for the production. Not sure if you read that he was he said

For some reason, it doesn't matter how much production you have, when you turn a certain age, guys are trying to get rid of you before you just can't do it anymore. That's good motivation for me, because I'm always trying to prove them wrong."

It would make sense to keep the solid pieces and work the draft picks in. We could have worked something in with Calais with all of the cap space we have cleared. Now we are using that cap space to sign average to below average bodies. Imagine if we kept Bouye ,Calais, and Yan, we still would have been able to sign Schobert, really like the only FA that will make a difference. Terrible front office still. I hope they prove me wrong tho

I think we had decent teams during those years, just the head coach couldn't put a working formula together :/

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

SB here we come!!!!!!

(03-24-2020, 03:34 PM)Upper Wrote: This is pretty much what a standard FA period looks like for teams. Dave's record spending limitless pocketbook of the previous few years that built us a talented but extremely hollow team is the extreme outlier.

This x 100000

I am extremely impressed by the discipline that Dave Caldwell has shown so far in this years free agency thus far.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(03-24-2020, 07:45 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 03:34 PM)Upper Wrote: This is pretty much what a standard FA period looks like for teams. Dave's record spending limitless pocketbook of the previous few years that built us a talented but extremely hollow team is the extreme outlier.

This x 100000

I am extremely impressed by the discipline that Dave Caldwell has shown so far in this years free agency thus far.

I think it was more by necessity, and I personally wouldn't have chosen Schobert to be our splash signing, but it has been a good FA value wise.

I am ok with it so far if they add eifert and he can stay healthy it will bea nice bonus.

(03-24-2020, 05:09 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:01 PM)Dimson Wrote: So, who should we sign instead?

Might be a little to late but we have needs at alot of positions. Early we could have locked up a few different positions like  DB or Safety, TE, there were better DTs out then who we picked up. You keep the good you have and work them in with draft picks.Also is Al woods not  only 1 year younger than Calais, if you going older could have kept Calais for the production. Not sure if you read that he was he said

For some reason, it doesn't matter how much production you have, when you turn a certain age, guys are trying to get rid of you before you just can't do it anymore. That's good motivation for me, because I'm always trying to prove them wrong."

It would make sense to keep the solid pieces and work the draft picks in. We could have worked something in with Calais with all of the cap space we have cleared. Now we are using that cap space to sign average to below average bodies. Imagine if we kept Bouye ,Calais, and Yan, we still would have been able to sign Schobert, really like the only FA that will make a difference. Terrible front office still. I hope they prove me wrong tho

Did you used to post on here under a different name? Just curious because I thought I recognized your writing style...

As I am listening to the names of our FA signing, I am asking myself, "Who are these scrubs?"

(03-24-2020, 10:14 PM)jaglyn Wrote: As I am listening to the names of our FA signing, I am asking myself, "Who are these scrubs?"
Who are you? Big Grin 

I wasn't sure who they all were either but, after some reading all seem like solid, money-wise signings.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(03-24-2020, 10:14 PM)jaglyn Wrote: As I am listening to the names of our FA signing, I am asking myself, "Who are these scrubs?"

The only guy that's a shoe-in to start is Schobert and maybe Eifert. I hope you knew those names. 

The rest will have to earn a spot or project as role players, rotation, depth, or camp fodder. 
Not knowing the names of that second group is not a big deal.

(03-24-2020, 06:42 PM)WhyWouldYouPostThat Wrote: I think we had decent teams during those years, just the head coach couldn't put a working formula together :/

Ding ding ding! We 'ave a winna'!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato