Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Signed Rashaan Melvin CB from Lions

Just saw it on PFT. Journeyman.

Story here
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 03:42 PM by MikePete54.)

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/...6611630086

Smh, they just signing people to have bodies

(03-24-2020, 02:52 PM)D-Money Wrote: Smh, they just signing people to have bodies

Yea, kind of a waste of money. This guy is not an ascending player. Maybe they see something in him that all eight other teams couldn't squeeze out of him. Same with Cassius Marsh. I'd rather clear space for draftees and undrafted players to compete than devoting practice reps to aging vets with no upside.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-24-2020, 02:52 PM)D-Money Wrote: Smh, they just signing people to have bodies

Once again. Who should we sign instead?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Right now he is CB4 on the team. After the draft he is probably CB5 on the team. Good depth signing.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(03-24-2020, 04:12 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Yea, kind of a waste of money. This guy is not an ascending player. Maybe they see something in him that all eight other teams couldn't squeeze out of him. Same with Cassius Marsh. I'd rather clear space for draftees and undrafted players to compete than devoting practice reps to aging vets with no upside.

If the Jaguars use Rashaan Melvin much like the Lions did, with press man coverage being the focal point with the outside CBs,  I think Melvin can be a bridge to an option with better long range potential. Melvin does a good job in the physical elements of the game.  

Even in man coverage though, Melvin's ball skills are erratic at best.  The game vs. the Giants in late October, in which rookie WR Darius Slayton had 2 TD receptions,  was the most pronounced example during the season of Melvin not at least causing incompletions when plays could have been made on the ball.  Ball skill issues and lack of versatility are two likely reasons why the Lions moved on from Melvin.

If Melvin is used heavily in Zone Coverage, like with the case with the Raiders in 2018,  Melvin,  the Jaguars coaches, and Dave Caldwell probably will be heavily criticized.  How Melvin is used is something that is worth paying close attention to during the season.

If a couple of the cbs above him on the depth chart are injured, then the coaching staff can plug in this veteran.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Rather roll the dice with an undrafted guy who works his tail off

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 06:47 PM by D-Money.)

(03-24-2020, 04:23 PM)Dimson Wrote:

Once again. Who should we sign instead?

Someone that is proven. If not wait for the draft. We do have basically have 3 spots open in our secondary and we sign another backup. We can pickup an UDFA that could prob give the same production

You asked me the same question in another thread, do you feel that the moves that they are making are good? Or do you have a issue with the fact that I have a problem with the same front office from 2013 continuing to make bad decisions, picking players where they feel like they might get a steal on a  low risk player ?

I don't believe they should get a second chance when they failed the first time around miserably, so I am I going to have problem if they continue to make questionable moves. When they make good moves I don't have an issue. Getting rid of Foles was good. Schobert is ok, seems like it is a good move but we will see. Not sure if I agree with anything else they have done this off season because it seems like are not trying now and are gearing for another 3 to 4 year rebuild.

(03-24-2020, 06:45 PM)D-Money Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:23 PM)Dimson Wrote: Once again. Who should we sign instead?

Someone that is proven. If not wait for the draft. We do have basically have 3 spots open in our secondary and we sign another backup. 

You asked me the same question in another thread, do you feel that the moves that they are making are good? Or do you have a issue with the fact that I have a problem with the same front office from 2013 continuing to make bad decisions, picking players where they feel like they might get a steal on a  low risk player ?

I don't believe they should get a second chance when they failed the first time around miserably, so I am I going to have problem if they continue to make questionable moves. When they make good moves I don't have an issue. Getting rid of Foles was good. Schobert is ok, seems like it is a good move but we will see. Not sure if I agree with anything else they have done this off season because it seems like are not trying now and are gearing for another 3 to 4 year rebuild.

Don't read too much into every little signing right now. 

They are amassing a 90 man roster for the summer. 
That 90 will be eventually whittled down to 53. 
That 53 will contain 22 starters, a few quality depth guys, and about 25 role players or depth players you hope don't see the field. 
We don't know if some of these signings will even make the 53, much less see the field in the Fall.

We gonna suck signing all these nobodys.

(03-24-2020, 06:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 06:45 PM)D-Money Wrote: Someone that is proven. If not wait for the draft. We do have basically have 3 spots open in our secondary and we sign another backup. 

Don't read too much into every little signing right now. 

That 53 will contain 22 starters, a few quality depth guys, and about 25 role players or depth players you hope don't see the field. 
We don't know if some of these signings will even make the 53, much less see the field in the Fall.
The roster numbers went up from the new CBA right?
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(03-24-2020, 05:28 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:12 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Yea, kind of a waste of money. This guy is not an ascending player. Maybe they see something in him that all eight other teams couldn't squeeze out of him. Same with Cassius Marsh. I'd rather clear space for draftees and undrafted players to compete than devoting practice reps to aging vets with no upside.

If the Jaguars use Rashaan Melvin much like the Lions did, with press man coverage being the focal point with the outside CBs,  I think Melvin can be a bridge to an option with better long range potential. Melvin does a good job in the physical elements of the game.  

Even in man coverage though, Melvin's ball skills are erratic at best.  The game vs. the Giants in late October, in which rookie WR Darius Slayton had 2 TD receptions,  was the most pronounced example during the season of Melvin not at least causing incompletions when plays could have been made on the ball.  Ball skill issues and lack of versatility are two likely reasons why the Lions moved on from Melvin.

If Melvin is used heavily in Zone Coverage, like with the case with the Raiders in 2018,  Melvin,  the Jaguars coaches, and Dave Caldwell probably will be heavily criticized.  How Melvin is used is something that is worth paying close attention to during the season.

I was hoping you'd weigh in on him. Doesn't sound all that encouraging.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(03-24-2020, 07:28 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 06:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Don't read too much into every little signing right now. 

The roster numbers went up from the new CBA right?

Yes. 

55 reg season roster and 14 practice squad players. 

Thanks for the reminder.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 08:22 PM by D6.)

(03-24-2020, 07:28 PM)PF* Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 05:28 PM)D6 Wrote: If the Jaguars use Rashaan Melvin much like the Lions did, with press man coverage being the focal point with the outside CBs,  I think Melvin can be a bridge to an option with better long range potential. Melvin does a good job in the physical elements of the game.  

I was hoping you'd weigh in on him. Doesn't sound all that encouraging.

Unless the Jaguars decide to become a heavily press man coverage Defensive team,  it very likely would have been a better decision by the Jaguars brass to use the salary cap money in another way.

(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 07:28 PM)PF* Wrote: I was hoping you'd weigh in on him. Doesn't sound all that encouraging.

Unless the Jaguars decide to become a heavily press man coverage Defensive team,  it very likely would have been a better decision by the Jaguars brass to use the salary cap money in another way.

Dennard is said to be more of a press CB as well so there might be some validity to that.

(03-24-2020, 05:28 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:12 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Yea, kind of a waste of money. This guy is not an ascending player. Maybe they see something in him that all eight other teams couldn't squeeze out of him. Same with Cassius Marsh. I'd rather clear space for draftees and undrafted players to compete than devoting practice reps to aging vets with no upside.

Thank you for the insight.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 01:32 AM by D6.)

(03-24-2020, 10:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)D6 Wrote: Unless the Jaguars decide to become a heavily press man coverage Defensive team,  it very likely would have been a better decision by the Jaguars brass to use the salary cap money in another way.

Dennard is said to be more of a press CB as well so there might be some validity to that.

Darqueze Dennard also should provide the Jaguars additional flexibility, Much like D,J, Hayden, Dennard has the skills to play outside and in the slot.  

With [font=tahoma,helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Rashaan Melvin not having this versatility,  having two CBs capable of starting, being interchangeable, can be the difference in the outcome of one or more games ( if a significant injury occurs to Hayden or Dennard ).[/font]

(03-25-2020, 12:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 05:28 PM)D6 Wrote: If the Jaguars use Rashaan Melvin much like the Lions did, with press man coverage being the focal point with the outside CBs,  I think Melvin can be a bridge to an option with better long range potential. Melvin does a good job in the physical elements of the game.  

Thank you for the insight.

My pleasure!

(03-24-2020, 07:03 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: We gonna suck signing all these nobodys.

We need 35 guys today who wont make the team in August.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato