Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 07:41 AM by mikesez.)

(03-24-2020, 10:55 PM)Last42min Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 09:35 PM)mikesez Wrote: She already affirmed that people should suffer and die for disagreeing with her.  I'm not sure how you "pushed back," but you should be honored she didn't also condemn your family to death. 
If you think she generally likes you, enjoys your company, that would be a place to say, "Gee, regardless of gay people and government, I hope you don't condemn my wife to death if I ever say anything you don't like." If you think she doesn't care either way if she ever speaks to you again, then no need to threaten her with losing you as a friend.  Just grimace at her and avoid speaking to her again.

You have an uncanny ability to miss the point.

Your point was that she "shut down debate" before you felt like she heard or understood your opinion, and didn't think critically about her own opinion. My point is, it sounds like she did you a favor.

Someone who thinks killing people is a valid way to resolve differences of opinion is not interested in debate. Debate can't solve that problem. Of course she shut it down. The only move is to ostracize her, not engage her.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-24-2020, 11:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Care to take a stab at the relevance of this chart?

Comp of curve to that of Italy and other hard hit areas.

When comparing gross numbers, a country 5 times the size of the others should accelerate significantly faster if the infection rates were the same. This chart should be considered good news in that light because we should've passed Italy already if all factors were equal (they aren't though). It might also reflect the point of ubiquitous testing since each country ramped up their testing volume at different times or its influenced by the variability of the starting point of "since the 100th case". Most importantly it should be noted that the chart is not Johns-Hopkins data, it is Vox's analysis of said data which colors it significantly. Single metric charts are just rarely useful in the comparison of nations of dissimilar size and composition.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-25-2020, 02:54 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 06:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm watching. I hear empty promises.

I'm listening to countless doctors say they are undersupplied and a dozen governors saying they are getting no help from the federal government after repeatedly requesting it.   And I watched as a dozen websites appeared over the weekend to facilitate private donors to give supplies to hospitals that are in dire need. 

I'm not making this [BLEEP] up. And it is happening in Jacksonville hospitals as well. Nurses and technicians are re-using masks and trying to hide stashes of the ones in short supply so that they don't run out all together in the coming days.

When they read the statistics of PPE distributed from the federal stockpile and through FEMA that's a report not a promise.  

A.) This is an unprecedented situation on a global stage.  Yes, there is a shortage of supply.  That's true over the entire world.  

B.) The federal government has distributed millions of units of PPE both from the stockpile, from donations etc.  

C.) The private sector has stepped up to dramatically increase production of PPE, treatment and testing equipment etc..  

Yet state governors are still saying they've received nothing - and the defense production act was merely waved about but never employed. That is indeed inaction, and the weeks that passed before taking measures are also an example of inaction. 

If you think that our federal government's swift and effective use of the defense production act would have been unable to counteract the CURRENT shortages of PPE at our nation's hospitals (had it actually been employed) then our military's infrastructure needs to be seriously reevaluated. 
 I'm sorry - blaming private sector supply chain limitation is simply not good enough in this situation.

(03-25-2020, 07:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Comp of curve to that of Italy and other hard hit areas.

When comparing gross numbers, a country 5 times the size of the others should accelerate significantly faster if the infection rates were the same. This chart should be considered good news in that light because we should've passed Italy already if all factors were equal (they aren't though). It might also reflect the point of ubiquitous testing since each country ramped up their testing volume at different times or its influenced by the variability of the starting point of "since the 100th case". Most importantly it should be noted that the chart is not Johns-Hopkins data, it is Vox's analysis of said data which colors it significantly. Single metric charts are just rarely useful in the comparison of nations of dissimilar size and composition.

Fair points, although the "100th case" start point was actually meant to offset the variance of ramped up testing, since it places each nation's early number closer to the point that they did in fact ramp up efforts.  Far from a level playing field nonetheless.

Trump said they never had to resort to the Defense Production Act because so many companies were ramping up production voluntarily.
Hanes is making masks, hopefully without the skidmark.
Ford is turning F-150 seat fans into ventilators.

(03-25-2020, 08:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 02:54 AM)jj82284 Wrote: When they read the statistics of PPE distributed from the federal stockpile and through FEMA that's a report not a promise.  

A.) This is an unprecedented situation on a global stage.  Yes, there is a shortage of supply.  That's true over the entire world.  

B.) The federal government has distributed millions of units of PPE both from the stockpile, from donations etc.  

C.) The private sector has stepped up to dramatically increase production of PPE, treatment and testing equipment etc..  

Yet state governors are still saying they've received nothing - and the defense production act was merely waved about but never employed. That is indeed inaction, and the weeks that passed before taking measures are also an example of inaction. 

If you think that our federal government's swift and effective use of the defense production act would have been unable to counteract the CURRENT shortages of PPE at our nation's hospitals (had it actually been employed) then our military's infrastructure needs to be seriously reevaluated. 
 I'm sorry - blaming private sector supply chain limitation is simply not good enough in this situation.

(03-25-2020, 07:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: When comparing gross numbers, a country 5 times the size of the others should accelerate significantly faster if the infection rates were the same. This chart should be considered good news in that light because we should've passed Italy already if all factors were equal (they aren't though). It might also reflect the point of ubiquitous testing since each country ramped up their testing volume at different times or its influenced by the variability of the starting point of "since the 100th case". Most importantly it should be noted that the chart is not Johns-Hopkins data, it is Vox's analysis of said data which colors it significantly. Single metric charts are just rarely useful in the comparison of nations of dissimilar size and composition.

Fair points, although the "100th case" start point was actually meant to offset the variance of ramped up testing, since it places each nation's early number closer to the point that they did in fact ramp up efforts.  Far from a level playing field nonetheless.

Do you have a background in logistics? If not... I'm sorry but it's just not a valid opinion.

(03-25-2020, 02:54 AM)jj82284 Wrote: When they read the statistics of PPE distributed from the federal stockpile and through FEMA that's a report not a promise.  

Just so we are on the same page, you are talking about the same governor who refused to buy 16,000 ventilators in 2015 when he had the opportunity?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/trump-cite...s-in-2015/

(03-25-2020, 08:53 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yet state governors are still saying they've received nothing - and the defense production act was merely waved about but never employed. That is indeed inaction, and the weeks that passed before taking measures are also an example of inaction. 

Just so we are on the same page, you are talking about the same governor who refused to buy 16,000 ventilators in 2015 when he had the opportunity?

I'm talking about a dozen governors and what the [BLEEP] does 2015 have to do with any of this?

(03-25-2020, 08:52 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yet state governors are still saying they've received nothing - and the defense production act was merely waved about but never employed. That is indeed inaction, and the weeks that passed before taking measures are also an example of inaction. 

Do you have a background in logistics? If not... I'm sorry but it's just not a valid opinion.

You'd be wise not to throw any "valid opinion" stones about.

(03-25-2020, 09:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:53 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Just so we are on the same page, you are talking about the same governor who refused to buy 16,000 ventilators in 2015 when he had the opportunity?

I'm talking about a dozen governors and what the [BLEEP] does 2015 have to do with any of this?

When it comes to the hot spot for COVID-19 in our country, 2015 has a lot to do with any of this.

(03-25-2020, 08:47 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Trump said they never had to resort to the Defense Production Act because so many companies were ramping up production voluntarily.  
Hanes is making masks, hopefully without the skidmark.  
Ford is turning F-150 seat fans into ventilators.

People seem to have no idea how the private sector of the economy works.  When companies have a guaranteed, once in a lifetime opportunity to push sales (and profits) to unprecedented levels, simply by increasing output, they're going to do it regardless.

Look for the Michael Jordan commercial, available soon in an assortment of colors.

Creative re-engineering from an unexpected supply source.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Saw a good article this morning that a study shows minimal mutation within the COVID-19 genes. That means A. it's unlikely to become more dangerous than it is today, and B. vaccine efforts have a high probability of success.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-24-2020, 11:10 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Again, where has this been reported?  I haven't heard any such thing.  What I did hear from him today is that he is hoping that the country will be "open for business" by Easter.  I didn't hear anything about "churches being packed".  Once again it's fake news.

I'll go out on a limb here and speculate.  He was asked about the "stay at home" thing being lifted and he talked about wanting people to be able to get back to work.  He mentioned that the target date was "by Easter".  Easter is a religious holiday for some people.  I'm speculating that some leftist(s) interpreted that as him wanting "churches packed" and that is the narrative being spread on social media.

If you really think about it, what does "having churches packed" have anything to do with the crisis?  Do you really think that it's a priority for the administration right now?

Come on Gabe.  You seem to be reasonable.

He literally said those words verbatim...on Fox. I'd caution you to be equally restrained to say "fake news" when info presented doesn't fit your narrative. OTOH, I agree that It'd be amazing if we were on the downslope by that time...even still - it'll be months before it's safe for large gatherings to occur frequently. Otherwise, we negate what efforts we've taken over the past weeks

Additionally, I'm happy to retract my original post about Fauci being permanently absent. Good to see him back

I am by no means a Trump fan (a Trumpette?), but I respect the Office he holds. In saying that....

He did say what you mentioned but the way he said it (came across) and the way you implied he said it is not the same. So what if he'd like to see churches full on Easter Sunday. I'm sure plenty of people want their churches to be packed, or at least their congregation to be together that day. Though I miss my church family I don't think it should happen. As a country still going through this pandemic we're not ready for that. 

Maybe he's trying to give the country hope, or at least the church going folks. I don't know. But I don't believe he meant anything bad when he said what he did. 

As an aside, I'm actually surprised he even goes to church. I don't think of Donald Trump and church together, but who knows? Melania, sure. Donald, not so much. Stranger things have happened.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM by Gabe.)

(03-25-2020, 02:54 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 06:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm watching. I hear empty promises.

I'm listening to countless doctors say they are undersupplied and a dozen governors saying they are getting no help from the federal government after repeatedly requesting it.   And I watched as a dozen websites appeared over the weekend to facilitate private donors to give supplies to hospitals that are in dire need. 

I'm not making this [BLEEP] up. And it is happening in Jacksonville hospitals as well. Nurses and technicians are re-using masks and trying to hide stashes of the ones in short supply so that they don't run out all together in the coming days.

When they read the statistics of PPE distributed from the federal stockpile and through FEMA that's a report not a promise.  

Were 8 weeks out from the first case reported on our shores.  In that time we've gone from a country that doesnt usually get exposed to random epidemics of aerosolized pathogens to testing in excess of 300k Americans building field hospitals deploying hospital ships. National guard deployments, increased industrial production etc.  Starting clinical trials on some 300 therapeutics, multiple vaccine candidates, and have acquired and imported millions of doses of experimental theraputics.  

Theres  a lot to be done to fully meet the challenge of what might be the most significant health challenge of our lifetimes.  You can criticize individual decisions or strategies but to make the general assertion of INNACTION is foolish hyperbole that's counter productive to the collective spirit of unity that were all going to need to meet this challenge.
I've had a lot of time to consider things. Initially, I scoffed at this becoming a problem - then when it ultimately did and downplaying was still occurring, I got angry - especially when revisionism was setting in. 

Since then, I've been reflecting a bunch and I agree with what JJ says above. This isn't a time to get mad, it's a time to act, to coordinate, to assure all demographics that we're all in this together. The time for public officials to answer for decisions made or not made during this crisis will come, that's fore shore.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-25-2020, 07:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: When comparing gross numbers, a country 5 times the size of the others should accelerate significantly faster if the infection rates were the same. This chart should be considered good news in that light because we should've passed Italy already if all factors were equal (they aren't though). It might also reflect the point of ubiquitous testing since each country ramped up their testing volume at different times or its influenced by the variability of the starting point of "since the 100th case". Most importantly it should be noted that the chart is not Johns-Hopkins data, it is Vox's analysis of said data which colors it significantly. Single metric charts are just rarely useful in the comparison of nations of dissimilar size and composition.

The defense production act is about controlling private businesses not military infrastructure.  

Just saying "not good enough" means jack all.  If your tasked with supplying billions of units, most of which dont exist yet, then it takes time to make pack and shop them. 

Which governors?  Names states and viral concentrations.  Ny just got 4k ventilators, a whole bunch of ppe, same with xali & Washington.  The national guard is building field hospitals and were deploying 2 floating hospitals.  Were rapidly accelerating production but you cant just sit here and say NOTHING has been done in the middle of the biggest antiviral response in the countries history.  

Well get into the fact that governors bare the primary responsibility for state procurement down the line.

(03-25-2020, 09:51 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:10 PM)Gabe Wrote: He literally said those words verbatim...on Fox. I'd caution you to be equally restrained to say "fake news" when info presented doesn't fit your narrative. OTOH, I agree that It'd be amazing if we were on the downslope by that time...even still - it'll be months before it's safe for large gatherings to occur frequently. Otherwise, we negate what efforts we've taken over the past weeks

Additionally, I'm happy to retract my original post about Fauci being permanently absent. Good to see him back

I am by no means a Trump fan (a Trumpette?), but I respect the Office he holds. In saying that....

He did say what you mentioned but the way he said it (came across) and the way you implied he said it is not the same. So what if he'd like to see churches full on Easter Sunday. I'm sure plenty of people want their churches to be packed, or at least their congregation to be together that day. Though I miss my church family I don't think it should happen. As a country still going through this pandemic we're not ready for that. 

Maybe he's trying to give the country hope, or at least the church going folks. I don't know. But I don't believe he meant anything bad when he said what he did. 

As an aside, I'm actually surprised he even goes to church. I don't think of Donald Trump and church together, but who knows? Melania, sure. Donald, not so much. Stranger things have happened.
Nor do I. Perhaps he was trying to provide assurance to the general population, especially church-goers. But my ongoing criticism of Trump is that I would have so much more confidence in him as a leader if he'd just close his mouth and stay off twitter..even just 25% of the time. The packing the churches comment/pontification came across to me as naive or uninformed...or ignorant to the reality of our situation. He said later in the evening press conference that it was likely too idealistic and wouldn't be possible anyways. Ad lib delivery, in my opinion (mind you) is not one of his strong-suits as a president...or at least it's substantially deteriorated since his 2016 campaign - where it was a razor sharp knife against Clinton in the debates.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-25-2020, 09:51 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:10 PM)Gabe Wrote: He literally said those words verbatim...on Fox. I'd caution you to be equally restrained to say "fake news" when info presented doesn't fit your narrative. OTOH, I agree that It'd be amazing if we were on the downslope by that time...even still - it'll be months before it's safe for large gatherings to occur frequently. Otherwise, we negate what efforts we've taken over the past weeks

Saul of CENSORED

(03-25-2020, 09:53 AM)jj82284 Wrote:

The defense production act is about controlling private businesses not military infrastructure.  

Just saying "not good enough" means jack all.  If your tasked with supplying billions of units, most of which dont exist yet, then it takes time to make pack and shop them. 

Which governors?  Names states and viral concentrations.  Ny just got 4k ventilators, a whole bunch of ppe, same with xali & Washington.  The national guard is building field hospitals and were deploying 2 floating hospitals.  Were rapidly accelerating production but you cant just sit here and say NOTHING has been done in the middle of the biggest antiviral response in the countries history.  

Well get into the fact that governors bare the primary responsibility for state procurement down the line.

Not good enough means exactly that. Too little too late. Hospital workers are put at unnecessary risk and much of that could have been prevented with more decisive and timely action. 

The states with governors and mayors begging for help are published all over the internet. California, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Kentucky, and the list goes on. 

NY got 4000 ventilators after requesting 30,000. It's a start. And it's not enough. 
Also - the numbers released by the white house of PPE items are miniscule compared to the need/demand. 

I never said nothing has been done. I've been crystal clear that too little is being done and action was initiated with a profound lack of haste. 

Now - Concerning the private sector supply chain that is being overwhelmed and the need to augment that:

Here is the portion of the Defense Production Act that would allow our military to take part in the distribution process. 

(1) Authorized activities.--To reduce current or projected
       shortfalls of industrial resources, critical technology items,
       or essential materials needed for national defense purposes,
       subject to such regulations as the President may prescribe, the
       President may authorize a guaranteeing agency to provide
       guarantees of loans by private institutions for the purpose of
       financing any contractor, subcontractor, provider of critical
       infrastructure, or other person in support of production
       capabilities or supplies that are deemed by the guaranteeing
       agency to be necessary to create, maintain, expedite, expand,
       protect, or restore production and deliveries or services
       essential to the national defense.

This is not happening and I maintain that it should be happening. 

Give me a good reason why the federal government should not be making efforts to use our military's ability to supply itself to temporarily supply our hospitals that are in dire need?  

(03-25-2020, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 09:53 AM)jj82284 Wrote: The defense production act is about controlling private businesses not military infrastructure.  

Not good enough means exactly that. Too little too late. Hospital workers are put at unnecessary risk and much of that could have been prevented with more decisive and timely action. 

The states with governors and mayors begging for help are published all over the internet. California, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Kentucky, and the list goes on. 

NY got 4000 ventilators after requesting 30,000. It's a start. And it's not enough. 
Also - the numbers released by the white house of PPE items are miniscule compared to the need/demand. 

I never said nothing has been done. I've been crystal clear that too little is being done and action was initiated with a profound lack of haste. 

Now - Concerning the private sector supply chain that is being overwhelmed and the need to augment that:

Here is the portion of the Defense Production Act that would allow our military to take part in the distribution process. 

(1) Authorized activities.--To reduce current or projected
       shortfalls of industrial resources, critical technology items,
       or essential materials needed for national defense purposes,
       subject to such regulations as the President may prescribe, the
       President may authorize a guaranteeing agency to provide
       guarantees of loans by private institutions for the purpose of
       financing any contractor, subcontractor, provider of critical
       infrastructure, or other person in support of production
       capabilities or supplies that are deemed by the guaranteeing
       agency to be necessary to create, maintain, expedite, expand,
       protect, or restore production and deliveries or services
       essential to the national defense.

This is not happening and I maintain that it should be happening. 

Give me a good reason why the federal government should not be making efforts to use our military's ability to supply itself to temporarily supply our hospitals that are in dire need?  

The "good reason" is that it's already being done without using the guns of government force. 3M and GM (two corporations I recall, and there are many others) have started switching over to producing ventilators and masks. A dictatorial edict would not have made any difference, except to soften the population up for a future POTUS who actually wants to be a dictator.

There are not enough ventilators because no one has a magic wand to make them immediately appear. It takes time to modify production from automobiles to ventilators. Masks were mainly (if not 100%) Chinese imports. Ending our dependency on China is something Trump has been trying to do since he was elected, with much opposition from both the Dems who will oppose anything Trump asks for, as well as the free-trade Pubs. 

Note that this thread only started on February 23rd. A lot has been done in that month.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-25-2020, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Saw a good article this morning that a study shows minimal mutation within the COVID-19 genes. That means A. it's unlikely to become more dangerous than it is today, and B. vaccine efforts have a high probability of success.

I saw that, too, and it's very good news because it means a vaccine might actually last a person for several years.

(03-25-2020, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Saw a good article this morning that a study shows minimal mutation within the COVID-19 genes. That means A. it's unlikely to become more dangerous than it is today, and B. vaccine efforts have a high probability of success.

(03-25-2020, 10:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I saw that, too, and it's very good news because it means a vaccine might actually last a person for several years.

"Mwahaha. MwaHaHaHa. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

-- COVID-20

You didnt type that?