Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Still no mention here on this forum about the seasonality of viruses?
https://twitter.com/ingrahamangle/status...65376?s=21
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-30-2020, 03:19 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Still no mention here on this forum about the seasonality of viruses?

I mentioned it last week sometime. Good news is that it looks like hot weather will help and that each person does in fact become immune once they have it. Bad news is that we might see seasonal strains starting next Fall, though that might drive an annual vaccine similar to the flu shot.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-30-2020, 03:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 03:19 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Still no mention here on this forum about the seasonality of viruses?

I mentioned it last week sometime. Good news is that it looks like hot weather will help and that each person does in fact become immune once they have it. Bad news is that we might see seasonal strains starting next Fall, though that might drive an annual vaccine similar to the flu shot.

The good news is the coronavirus strain is one of, if not, the slowest mutating virus on the planet. This means their sequencing chain is very small and if a vaccine is created, a vaccine adjustment can easily be made annually to adjust for the sequencing change (like you mentioned). I think there are currently 8-strains on this earth and there sequencing has already been broken down to identify "ground zero".

For here in north Florida, the heat that we are seeing might be of some help.  I have seen some theories that the virus "doesn't like" heat and with people going outdoors that could help a bit.  I'm not basing this on any actual scientific data, but I do think that people getting outdoors and in the sun (vitamin D) could help strengthen a person's immune system.  The downside of that at least for me is my seasonal allergies due to the pollen in the air.  We really need some rain.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-30-2020, 03:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: For here in north Florida, the heat that we are seeing might be of some help.  I have seen some theories that the virus "doesn't like" heat and with people going outdoors that could help a bit.  I'm not basing this on any actual scientific data, but I do think that people getting outdoors and in the sun (vitamin D) could help strengthen a person's immune system.  The downside of that at least for me is my seasonal allergies due to the pollen in the air.  We really need some rain.

Dog walks (two at 1 mile each) every other day for me. I'm hoping the sun and fresh air helps.

And this sounds very promising:

Link

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 04:17 PM by Jags.)

(03-30-2020, 03:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: For here in north Florida, the heat that we are seeing might be of some help.  I have seen some theories that the virus "doesn't like" heat and with people going outdoors that could help a bit.  I'm not basing this on any actual scientific data, but I do think that people getting outdoors and in the sun (vitamin D) could help strengthen a person's immune system.  The downside of that at least for me is my seasonal allergies due to the pollen in the air.  We really need some rain.

I’ve heard that too.  But couldn’t find anything to validate that.  If it’s true, it’s the first time I’m looking forward towards the heat.  As far as the Vit D, I’m outside, but we cover up.  Long sleeve dri fit work shirts and face shield/neck gaiters along with hat and sunglasses.  Not sure how much VIt D I actually get.  Allergies have been hitting me a bit lately as well.   

I may be overreacting, but the only time while working that we are in close contact with anyone is while we’re in the truck.  And if someone got it that kinda screws up work when it goes around to the rest.  So I offered and it was taken up that my guy working now with me rides separate and I compensate him for the driving.  One bad stop at a gas station or grocery store and it can take a toll on the business with just me not being there. With all these people coming out stopping us and a guy I know getting out of the business and sending his clients my way, I’m hoping not to screw that up and be super short handed.   Plus, with the amount of decent people looking for work, I’m hoping this is the year I can finally start a second crew and just manage it and/or pick up the slack.

So, I am curious how long COVID-19 can live on surfaces as it relates to temperature.

(03-30-2020, 04:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, I am curious how long COVID-19 can live on surfaces as it relates to temperature.
I haven't seen many studies as of late but here is one. Take it for what it's worth...https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/study-high-temperature-and-humidity-reduce-transmission-of-coronavirus.php

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 05:01 PM by Gabe.)

Just got word back from the physician's assistant - my wife tested positive. For those who haven't been playing along, here's the timeline:

March 2-12: She felt pretty cruddy, but nowhere near the flu that completely sidelined both of us about 8 years ago

March 13: Jax city councilman tests positive, she was three layers removed from him, but she spends a bunch of time in city hall

March 16: Last time she exhibits any (IMO) real symptoms (woke up at 4am with shortness of breath, chills and cough (she's a recovering asthmatic). Thankful for that

March 18: Drive-thru covid19 test

Today: Positive

This entire time I've exhibited zero symptoms and I (we) didn't shelter in place until she was tested. We're likely well out of the woods, but waiting on DOH to get back to us with more answers than the physician's assistant was able to provide.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

Am I missing something? Is anyone curious as to why COVID-19 has been identified as a Pandemic when it doesn't meet the 7.3% mortality rate? Why are we not concerned with Flu strains that have double the rate, even with vaccines? The Flu also touches each and every age group more so than COVID-19.

(03-30-2020, 04:41 PM)Gabe Wrote: Just got word back from the physician's assistant - my wife tested positive. For those who haven't been playing along, here's the timeline:

March 2-6: She felt pretty cruddy, but nowhere near the flu that completely sidelined both of us about 8 years ago

March 6: Jax city councilman tests positive, she was three layers removed from him, but she spends a bunch of time in city hall

March 9: Last time she exhibits any (IMO) real symptoms (woke up at 4am with shortness of breath, chills and cough (she's a recovering asthmatic). Thankful for that

March 11: Drive-thru covid19 test

This entire time I've exhibited zero symptoms and I (we) didn't shelter in place until she was tested. We're likely well out of the woods, but waiting on DOH to get back to us with more answers than the physician's assistant was able to provide.
Wishing your wife a quick recovery and that you and the rest of your family stays safe.  

Am I reading that right? It took 19 days to find out she was positive?

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 04:48 PM by B2hibry.)

(03-30-2020, 04:41 PM)Gabe Wrote: Just got word back from the physician's assistant - my wife tested positive. For those who haven't been playing along, here's the timeline:

March 2-6: She felt pretty cruddy, but nowhere near the flu that completely sidelined both of us about 8 years ago

March 6: Jax city councilman tests positive, she was three layers removed from him, but she spends a bunch of time in city hall

March 9: Last time she exhibits any (IMO) real symptoms (woke up at 4am with shortness of breath, chills and cough (she's a recovering asthmatic). Thankful for that

March 11: Drive-thru covid19 test

Curious...was this via swab or blood? I'm seeing quite a few reports that there are batches of swab kits giving false positives. Either way here is to a speedy recovery.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 05:03 PM by Gabe.)

(03-30-2020, 04:47 PM)Jags Wrote:

March 2-12: She felt pretty cruddy, but nowhere near the flu that completely sidelined both of us about 8 years ago

March 13: Jax city councilman tests positive, she was three layers removed from him, but she spends a bunch of time in city hall

March 16: Last time she exhibits any (IMO) real symptoms (woke up at 4am with shortness of breath, chills and cough (she's a recovering asthmatic). Thankful for that

Wishing your wife a quick recovery and that you and the rest of your family stays safe.  

I appreciate that - I'm assuming I have it (or had it) as well and I'm just asymptomatic or I'm like Dwight Schrute and my body killed it dead. [UPDATED DATES - my bad] Actually, upon further calculation (like many others, I've lost track of time since quarantine), it took them 12 days from test to result/reporting (she was tested on the 18th. They initially gave her a 3-5 day waiting period. 

We're officially, as a country, at 159k, the pessimist in me believes the unofficial number is likely closer to 1 million.

(03-30-2020, 04:48 PM)B2hibry Wrote:

Curious...was this via swab or blood? I'm seeing quite a few reports that there are batches of swab kits giving false positives. Either way here is to a speedy recovery.

Swab. Can you share the sources of those reports? I'd be interested as well. Administered by Ascension.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 05:08 PM by Gabe.)

(03-30-2020, 04:46 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Am I missing something? Is anyone curious as to why COVID-19 has been identified as a Pandemic when it doesn't meet the 7.3% mortality rate? Why are we not concerned with Flu strains that have double the rate, even with vaccines? The Flu also touches each and every age group more so than COVID-19.

FYI - the definition of a pandemic is a disease that is spread geographically (typically across multiple countries/continents). Nowhere am I reading anything about a mortality rate threshold as part of its definition. 

I think you're thinking of an epidemic - that's where a widespread disease affects a bunch of populations at the same time in a similar way. But still, no reference to a mortality rate threshold. A pandemic is a type of epidemic, but an epidemic isn't a type of pandemic.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 05:10 PM by B2hibry.)

(03-30-2020, 04:55 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 04:47 PM)Jags Wrote: Wishing your wife a quick recovery and that you and the rest of your family stays safe.  

I appreciate that - I'm assuming I have it (or had it) as well and I'm just asymptomatic or I'm like Dwight Schrute and my body killed it dead. [UPDATED DATES - my bad] Actually, upon further calculation (like many others, I've lost track of time since quarantine), it took them 12 days from test to result/reporting (she was tested on the 18th. They initially gave her a 3-5 day waiting period. 

We're officially, as a country, at 159k, the pessimist in me believes the unofficial number is likely closer to 1 million.

(03-30-2020, 04:48 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Curious...was this via swab or blood? I'm seeing quite a few reports that there are batches of swab kits giving false positives. Either way here is to a speedy recovery.

Swab. Can you share the sources of those reports? I'd be interested as well. Administered by Ascension.
The CDC has reported that there have been kits with false negative and false positive results. The CDC even states the tests should not be the sole source for decision making. There are suggestions that a chest x-ray should be used in conjunction.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/coronaviru...arce-china

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...9-nCoV.pdf

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/...key=228250

(03-30-2020, 05:06 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 04:46 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Am I missing something? Is anyone curious as to why COVID-19 has been identified as a Pandemic when it doesn't meet the 7.3% mortality rate? Why are we not concerned with Flu strains that have double the rate, even with vaccines? The Flu also touches each and every age group more so than COVID-19.

FYI - the definition of a pandemic is a disease that is spread geographically (typically across multiple countries/continents). Nowhere am I reading anything about a mortality rate threshold as part of its definition. 

I think you're thinking of an epidemic - that's where a widespread disease affects a bunch of populations at the same time in a similar way. But still, no reference to a mortality rate threshold. A pandemic is a type of epidemic, but an epidemic isn't a type of pandemic.
Yes, I made an error, you are correct, it is an epidemic threshold. As reported on the CDC website.

(03-30-2020, 05:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 04:55 PM)Gabe Wrote: I appreciate that - I'm assuming I have it (or had it) as well and I'm just asymptomatic or I'm like Dwight Schrute and my body killed it dead. [UPDATED DATES - my bad] Actually, upon further calculation (like many others, I've lost track of time since quarantine), it took them 12 days from test to result/reporting (she was tested on the 18th. They initially gave her a 3-5 day waiting period. 

The CDC has reported that there have been kits with false negative and false positive results. The CDC even states the tests should not be the sole source for decision making. There are suggestions that a chest x-ray should be used in conjunction.

(03-30-2020, 05:06 PM)Gabe Wrote: FYI - the definition of a pandemic is a disease that is spread geographically (typically across multiple countries/continents). Nowhere am I reading anything about a mortality rate threshold as part of its definition. 

Yes, I made an error, you are correct, it is an epidemic threshold. As reported on the CDC website.

She was tested via swab on the 18th, a month removed from the futurism/medicinenet articles. I'm wondering if, during that timeframe, whether or not the false positive rates were improved.

I am sorry to hear that.

I am by no means a doctor or a health professional, but here is my advice.  I felt symptoms a bit over a week ago and chose to "self_quarantine".  Since then my symptoms have diminished and basically have "gone away".  I haven't been tested (though I probably should be), but my reasoning is that I want to make sure that cases that are more high risk have testing/treatment available before me.  I am reasonably healthy and in my 50's so I know that I'm kind of "playing with fire", but I have not had any other symptoms after experiencing them over a week ago.  I don't want to consume resources that are needed for others.

My good luck wishes and prayers are with you and your wife.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-30-2020, 05:14 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 05:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: The CDC has reported that there have been kits with false negative and false positive results. The CDC even states the tests should not be the sole source for decision making. There are suggestions that a chest x-ray should be used in conjunction.

She was tested via swab on the 18th, a month removed from the futurism/medicinenet articles. I'm wondering if, during that timeframe, whether or not the false positive rates were improved.
Those were just some examples. Let's hope the last supply shipment from China didn't include kits. In any case, at this juncture, there are better/faster domestically produced tests coming to the market.

Another: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/us-agenc...-kits.html

(03-30-2020, 05:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I am sorry to hear that.

I am by no means a doctor or a health professional, but here is my advice.  I felt symptoms a bit over a week ago and chose to "self_quarantine".  Since then my symptoms have diminished and basically have "gone away".  I haven't been tested (though I probably should be), but my reasoning is that I want to make sure that cases that are more high risk have testing/treatment available before me.  I am reasonably healthy and in my 50's so I know that I'm kind of "playing with fire", but I have not had any other symptoms after experiencing them over a week ago.  I don't want to consume resources that are needed for others.

My good luck wishes and prayers are with you and your wife.

I appreciate that JIB. Thank you. As I said, she is feeling more put out/annoyed than anything else. Because she hadn't been experiencing any further symptoms, I was expecting the test to come back negative. The uncertainty is what was causing the most stress. Now we have to wait it out further and really self quarantine.

Watching MSM...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1244709560021069825