Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(04-03-2020, 09:00 AM)Jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 08:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Update:

US cases: 245,573
US deaths: 6.058

FL cases: 8694
FL deaths: 144  (19 deaths in the "first coast" counties)

GA cases: 5444
GA deaths: 176

According to the Fl Dept of health, we were at 9008 cases as of 630 am when I checked.  

But the us numbers match what I’m seeing
That's right.

The number I grabbed didn't include non-FL residents diagnosed in FL - add those and it's 9008.
Thanks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-03-2020, 09:41 AM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a question about the whole “mask” or “no mask” debate.  Obviously, it’s better than nothing.  But all the Dr’s that I see interviewed say it’ll help prevent someone from spreading it, but not getting it.  Why wouldn’t it go both ways?  I’m sure there is probably a good reason or answer.  I’m just wondering what that reason is

There are different types of masks. The N95 is meant to filter 95% of particles down to the virus micron. The other masks you commonly see are actually to slow transmission from the individual that is sick (coughing, sneezing, etc). Think of what you see in Asian countries. Not commonly understood in western countries but they do it as a courtesy and sign of respect. Their effectiveness at blocking particles is only about 15% and that is typically particles larger than virus size (125ish nm).
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 09:57 AM by Gabe.)

(04-03-2020, 09:41 AM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a question about the whole “mask” or “no mask” debate.  Obviously, it’s better than nothing.  But all the Dr’s that I see interviewed say it’ll help prevent someone from spreading it, but not getting it.  Why wouldn’t it go both ways?  I’m sure there is probably a good reason or answer.  I’m just wondering what that reason is

It does "help" in both ways. The primary way people are contracting COVID, much like any other cold/flu, is through the mouth, nose and eyes. Different masks will help mitigate the spread and contraction in differing intensities, but not completely prevent it either way...because of the eyes and/or the strength of the mask.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

There are mixed messages being put out there regarding this. The "lack of effectiveness" side of the argument focuses on lack of data to support it will help slow transmission in general public usage. 

Other doctors (like Fauci) are saying it will help as long as Joe Q Public doesn't use it as an excuse to relax their social distancing diligence.  Fauci wants it to be a nat'l guideline ASAP, btw. 

I won't pretend to know scientifically which side is more accurate. 

I personally think it should help slow transmission of both droplets and aerosol spread particles, but surface transmission will still be an issue.  (aerosol transmission is being hypothesized as the most common infection method by MDs in NY area hospitals btw)  
Not touching one's face, diligent hand disinfecting, and the disinfecting of things you bring into your home are still the ways to slow surface transmission.  For instance, when I bring home groceries, I leave them on the front porch and wipe down the individual packaging before moving things inside.

(04-03-2020, 08:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:  (march 31st)
Just wanted to see how these numbers compared after 5 days:

US total cases:  165,874
US deaths:  3,178

FL cases: 6338
FL deaths:  77

GA cases: 3817
GA deaths:  108

Update:

Not sure what the goal of these posts is but it really doesn't speak to the big picture. If you are interested in a more complete picture that hopefully doesn't serve to stir more fear and panic, see the pdf. 

https://floridadisaster.org/globalassets...2-1715.pdf

(04-03-2020, 10:05 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

Not sure what the goal of these posts is but it really doesn't speak to the big picture. If you are interested in a more complete picture that hopefully doesn't serve to stir more fear and panic, see the pdf. 

Don't overthink it.

They are merely an update of accurate current statistics. They include no opinion, no spin, no message. 
They are numbers recorded by the various state departments of health. 

They aren't meant to "speak to" any agenda. They are merely a snapshot of our current reality updated every 4 or 5 days.

(04-03-2020, 10:05 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

Side note: The projection for number of deaths from last week for the day that NYC is referencing was overstated by about 1,000. Does anyone have a link to a source that is comparing projections to actuals? I keep having to aggregate the information from multiple sites. I would like to see the models presented at the White House pressers presented against reality for comparison.

(04-03-2020, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 10:05 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Not sure what the goal of these posts is but it really doesn't speak to the big picture. If you are interested in a more complete picture that hopefully doesn't serve to stir more fear and panic, see the pdf. 

Don't overthink it.

They are merely an update of accurate current statistics. They include no opinion, no spin, no message. 

They aren't meant to "speak to" any agenda. They are merely a snapshot of our current reality updated every 4 or 5 days.

So you're just the vote count/updated scores ticker running on the bottom of the screen then?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-03-2020, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 10:05 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Not sure what the goal of these posts is but it really doesn't speak to the big picture. If you are interested in a more complete picture that hopefully doesn't serve to stir more fear and panic, see the pdf. 

Side note: The projection for number of deaths from last week for the day that NYC is referencing was overstated by about 1,000. Does anyone have a link to a source that is comparing projections to actuals? I keep having to aggregate the information from multiple sites. I would like to see the models presented at the White House pressers presented against reality for comparison.

(04-03-2020, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Don't overthink it.

So you're just the vote count/updated scores ticker running on the bottom of the screen then?

Call it what you want, convolute it how you'd like. I don't give a [BLEEP]. 
It's information relevant to the thread - a thread that has had several participants clearly not following along with those numbers. 

Regarding the sidenote quoted above: I'm pulling these numbers from Johns Hopkins for the US totals and state departments of health for the others. The press conferences have also quoted the Johns Hopkins numbers directly on occasion.  They update those numbers 3 times daily with reports not projections.

(04-03-2020, 10:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Side note: The projection for number of deaths from last week for the day that NYC is referencing was overstated by about 1,000. Does anyone have a link to a source that is comparing projections to actuals? I keep having to aggregate the information from multiple sites. I would like to see the models presented at the White House pressers presented against reality for comparison.

Call it what you want, convolute it how you'd like. I don't give a [BLEEP]. 
It's information relevant to the thread - a thread that has had several participants clearly not following along with those numbers. 

Regarding the sidenote quoted above: I'm pulling these numbers from Johns Hopkins for the US totals and state departments of health for the others. The press conferences have also quoted the Johns Hopkins numbers directly on occasion.  They update those numbers 3 times daily with reports not projections.

I'm not questioning the validity or source of your numbers. I'm questioning how your numbers compare to the multiple projections we've been discussing for the last two weeks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-03-2020, 07:51 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Sorry for the botched response I’m on my cell and can’t think straight. 

Thanks everyone for your support.

My sincere condolences.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

So does a knife fight between people arguing virus numbers count as COVID deaths? Just curious.

(04-03-2020, 11:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: So does a knife fight between people arguing virus numbers count as COVID deaths? Just curious.

Yes.

(04-03-2020, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Don't overthink it.

Well in that case, thanks Dr. Internet!

(04-02-2020, 07:30 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: 17 of my immediate family members has tested positive which 3 of them are dead and another 6 are critical. 

This is an airborne pathogen that is absolutely destroying compact urban areas. Jacksonville and other cities or municipalities are fortunate to have a spread out population where C-19 cannot spread so quickly.

I'm sorry, JFC.

I hope it gets better for you.

(04-03-2020, 08:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:  (march 31st)
Just wanted to see how these numbers compared after 5 days:

US total cases:  165,874
US deaths:  3,178

FL cases: 6338
FL deaths:  77

GA cases: 3817
GA deaths:  108

Update:

Interesting look at the numbers, but at the same time I wonder how it corresponds to the numbers predicted/projected?  What I mean is sure there appears to be a rapid rise in the numbers, but is that because the virus is spreading that much faster or because of the more widespread testing?  Not long ago testing was limited where now it seems like it's more readily available.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My thinking is that it will help keep people who may have it but not show any symptoms from inadvertently spreading it.  I believe that it will help someone from getting it if they are around someone that has it... until the person removes the mask and happens to touch their face.

(04-03-2020, 12:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Interesting look at the numbers, but at the same time I wonder how it corresponds to the numbers predicted/projected?  What I mean is sure there appears to be a rapid rise in the numbers, but is that because the virus is spreading that much faster or because of the more widespread testing?  Not long ago testing was limited where now it seems like it's more readily available.

I'm afraid we're going to start to see rapid rises in rural states. Georgia is gonna start to take a beating soon. I've been hearing snippets from governors in those states say that they don't have the means of testing that they'd like. 

While it's good to see testing on the rise, I'd say there's likely still an extremely large gap (nationally) between the official and unofficial infected counts. I'm a prime example of someone who unknowingly could have spread the virus around to dozens of people in the 1st & 2nd weeks of March.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

[Image: WellwornBriefCuttlefish-size_restricted.gif]

(04-03-2020, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Side note: The projection for number of deaths from last week for the day that NYC is referencing was overstated by about 1,000. Does anyone have a link to a source that is comparing projections to actuals? I keep having to aggregate the information from multiple sites. I would like to see the models presented at the White House pressers presented against reality for comparison.

(04-03-2020, 10:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm not questioning the validity or source of your numbers. I'm questioning how your numbers compare to the multiple projections we've been discussing for the last two weeks.

(04-03-2020, 12:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Interesting look at the numbers, but at the same time I wonder how it corresponds to the numbers predicted/projected?  What I mean is sure there appears to be a rapid rise in the numbers, but is that because the virus is spreading that much faster or because of the more widespread testing?  Not long ago testing was limited where now it seems like it's more readily available.

No one knows because they won't publish the models or data that they used to create the 100,000 - 240,000 people; they won't even publish the time frame used for from the models. This is nothing but Fauci continuing to push the worst case scenarios. It is his job to do that, so no issues there, but he really needs to be realistic about it and not try to just push the fear higher so the media takes off with it. Unfortunately there are too many stupid people that don't take any precautions unless forced too.

Good article about the data scientists and even white house officials doubting the numbers. I'm still thinking we end up in the 50,000-75,000 range.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/expert...r-BB1263eT

(04-03-2020, 11:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: So does a knife fight between people arguing virus numbers count as COVID deaths? Just curious.

Per the metrics, anyone who tests positive is being counted. Doesn't matter if they were actually fine before dying, it counts.

Perhaps the WH should use the same data modelers of climate change since those numbers are unassailable.