Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(04-03-2020, 12:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 08:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Update:

US cases: 245,573
US deaths: 6.058

FL cases: 8694
FL deaths: 144  (19 deaths in the "first coast" counties)

GA cases: 5444
GA deaths: 176

Interesting look at the numbers, but at the same time I wonder how it corresponds to the numbers predicted/projected?  What I mean is sure there appears to be a rapid rise in the numbers, but is that because the virus is spreading that much faster or because of the more widespread testing?  Not long ago testing was limited where now it seems like it's more readily available.

Thank you for seeing the point.  And the question(s) it presents. 
The rise in testing and the rise in cases are both increasing. The rise in confirmed cases is indeed rising faster than testing increases as of now. 
However, in some places (like Duval county) the tests are taking up to 10+ days to come back, so it's difficult to pinpoint the exact difference in those two rising curves as they aren't being recorded with any "chronological symmetry. "  (there's a word for that term that's escaping me)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-03-2020, 12:34 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 12:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Interesting look at the numbers, but at the same time I wonder how it corresponds to the numbers predicted/projected?  What I mean is sure there appears to be a rapid rise in the numbers, but is that because the virus is spreading that much faster or because of the more widespread testing?  Not long ago testing was limited where now it seems like it's more readily available.

I'm afraid we're going to start to see rapid rises in rural states. Georgia is gonna start to take a beating soon. I've been hearing snippets from governors in those states say that they don't have the means of testing that they'd like. 

While it's good to see testing on the rise, I'd say there's likely still an extremely large gap (nationally) between the official and unofficial infected counts. I'm a prime example of someone who unknowingly could have spread the virus around to dozens of people in the 1st & 2nd weeks of March.

There really is no way to get an accurate count or measurement.  2 weeks ago today I experienced symptoms and "self quarantined" myself.  However my symptoms only lasted 1 1/2 days (fever, dry cough).  I never experienced difficulty breathing and my temperature never got above 100.  At the time I experienced my symptoms I didn't get tested because at that point resources were more scarce and my symptoms were mild.  I simply did what was recommended and stayed home (or out on my property).  I didn't go to any stores or anywhere else.  I'll be going to my property tomorrow to do some much needed cutting and will have to stop in a public place for the first time in two weeks (gas station).

My point is, I don't know if I had/have it or not.  If I did then I am not one of the statistics being reported.  I am sure that I'm not the only one in this situation.  From what I understand there could have been others that actually had it and never really knew it.

My hope is that we soon reach the top of "the curve" and start seeing the downside of this.  I want to see us all being able to get back to "normal life".  In the meantime I follow the suggestions given by the professionals and our leadership.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-03-2020, 09:41 AM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a question about the whole “mask” or “no mask” debate.  Obviously, it’s better than nothing.  But all the Dr’s that I see interviewed say it’ll help prevent someone from spreading it, but not getting it.  Why wouldn’t it go both ways?  I’m sure there is probably a good reason or answer.  I’m just wondering what that reason is

It only partially protects breathing in, cause it is not dense enough like an N95, but is pretty good at catching stuff going out. I would suspect the reason is that breathing in is a forceful movement (i.e. requiring muscles) and generates more force than just exhaling, which is your lung snapping back into place like a rubber band (no muscle required normally). Thats my theory.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(04-03-2020, 12:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 12:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Interesting look at the numbers, but at the same time I wonder how it corresponds to the numbers predicted/projected?  What I mean is sure there appears to be a rapid rise in the numbers, but is that because the virus is spreading that much faster or because of the more widespread testing?  Not long ago testing was limited where now it seems like it's more readily available.

Thank you for seeing the point.  And the question(s) it presents. 
The rise in testing and the rise in cases are both increasing. The rise in confirmed cases is indeed rising faster than testing increases as of now. 
However, in some places (like Duval county) the tests are taking up to 10+ days to come back, so it's difficult to pinpoint the exact difference in those two rising curves as they aren't being recorded with any "chronological symmetry. "  (there's a word for that term that's escaping me)

Regarding the part in bold, do you have a source for that?  As far as testing in Duval/Clay counties I believe that the results are coming back much quicker.  My boss put himself on self-quarantine after being in contact with a person that tested positive.  He went in for a test (Tuesday) and is expecting the results today.  I don't know exactly where or how he got tested, but we work in Duval County and I know he lives in Clay County.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-03-2020, 01:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 12:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thank you for seeing the point.  And the question(s) it presents. 

Regarding the part in bold, do you have a source for that?  As far as testing in Duval/Clay counties I believe that the results are coming back much quicker.  My boss put himself on self-quarantine after being in contact with a person that tested positive.  He went in for a test (Tuesday) and is expecting the results today.  I don't know exactly where or how he got tested, but we work in Duval County and I know he lives in Clay County.

I read it in an article yesterday, but the link B2 shared earlier has info to support it.
https://floridadisaster.org/globalassets...2-1715.pdf

RE: slow testing - there was a report from local news that interviewed several local residents who have waited up to 10 days - still with no results after visiting the testing sites downtown. I'm certain that many individuals going through MD offices, clinics and hospitals are getting them quicker.

I'm more interested in the antibody test than anything else at this point. We won't know anything about the spread of this virus until we start finding out how many people have already had it.

(04-03-2020, 02:20 PM)Last42min Wrote: I'm more interested in the antibody test than anything else at this point. We won't know anything about the spread of this virus until we start finding out how many people have already had it.

Shhhhhhhhhh

King Faucci may be reading this

(04-03-2020, 02:59 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 02:20 PM)Last42min Wrote: I'm more interested in the antibody test than anything else at this point. We won't know anything about the spread of this virus until we start finding out how many people have already had it.

Shhhhhhhhhh

and + or - 100,000 people too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-03-2020, 03:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 02:59 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Shhhhhhhhhh

and + or - 100,000 people too.

The movie version of this is going to be rich

(04-03-2020, 05:01 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 03:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: and + or - 100,000 people too.

The movie version of this is going to be rich

I’d like to know who will be portraying everyone.  If “Jags” makes a cameo, I’m pretty certain either Matthew Muh-con-a-hay (I don’t know how you spell it) or George Clooney should play my part.  Although, it’ll probably be Steve Bishimi or Rowan Atkinson.

Mike Pence just quoted Joe Dirt in the briefing. “Keep on keeping on”. I knew I liked him.

Will you be wearing a mask when you go to a football game.

Did u know the subways are still open in NYC?

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 06:12 PM by Jagsfan32277.)

Dudes, I just came up with a idea and I'm gonna be rich. Masks with NFL team's logo and colors, also for NBA, MLB, college

(04-03-2020, 06:08 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Will you be wearing a mask when you go to a football game.

Sorry, I can’t afford to fly to London.  Besides, there are no flights.

(04-03-2020, 06:23 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 06:08 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Will you be wearing a mask when you go to a football game.

Sorry, I can’t afford to fly to London.  Besides, there are no flights.

Lol.  Come on now. As of now we still have 6 games scheduled in jax for 2020

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 06:36 PM by Jags.)

(04-03-2020, 06:31 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 06:23 PM)Jags Wrote: Sorry, I can’t afford to fly to London.  Besides, there are no flights.

Lol.  Come on now. As of now we still have 6 games scheduled in jax for 2020

I’ll be honest, I’m the only one in my house (family really) that gives a crap about football.  So I don’t go to the games.  But if i did, it would depend on how this virus is at the time.  I’m used to covering my face at work.  If I had a proper mask maybe I would but I also feel if I needed a mask, I probably shouldn’t be going. 

Championship?!?!?!?

Interesting: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout...lP1REMthJA

In the same vain, both Navy hospital ships are currently underutilized and reworking their original mission of overflow bedding.

So how is our medical systems suddenly overwhelmed from COVID-19 but not from H1N1? Isn’t New York used to dealing with 9.1 deaths a minute? Why is Cuomo screaming for supplies from a warehouse full of supplies? We know why New York is apparently a hotspot (mass transit) but why are their treatments not as successful as the rest of the country? Valid question that I believe needs answers. The people of NYC may be suffering on behalf of politics or stupidity on the part of their government.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-03-2020, 06:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Interesting:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout...lP1REMthJA

In the same vain, both Navy hospital ships are currently underutilized and reworking their original mission of overflow bedding.

So how is our medical systems suddenly overwhelmed from COVID-19 but not from H1N1? Isn’t New York used to dealing with 9.1 deaths a minute? Why is Cuomo screaming for supplies from a warehouse full of supplies? We know why New York is apparently a hotspot (mass transit) but why are their treatments not as successful as the rest of the country? Valid question that I believe needs answers. The people of NYC may be suffering on behalf of politics or stupidity on the part of their government.
Not sure how authentic that is.  But if real and the dates haven’t been skewed, that is reassuring and frightening at the same time.