Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 12:30 AM by p_rushing.)

(04-18-2020, 07:19 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 07:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not me. I still use a percolator.

I’m still trying to figure out how to get it right. It’s either too weak or too strong.  Granted, I haven’t really put too much time into it. One of my winter projects over the years.  But I will say, the best cup I had was percolated. Which got me into trying it.  French press is just too easy.  Either that or I got it right the first time and repeated what I did then.  

I do find if you grind your own beans, the coffe is much better.  No matter the method of brewing.

You definitely need to grind your own beans as the grounds will not last much and generally aren't good. Cold brew has some really crazy people. You want to get some flavorful beans because you remove the acidity and allow all the notes to come out of the beans. Then you need to decide on your ratio, there are a lot of debates on that but freshness, strength, etc all help determine how much to use per OZ. I generally just do concentrate and add water when drinking. That allows you to control the strength more and you get more out of each batch.

For making it, that is a huge debate. Out of the fridge, half/half, in the fridge, using drip and other type of gravity machines. I just use a coffee sock and stick it in the fridge.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If we were actually funding the research in the Wuhan lab...

Greatest failure in the history of the federal state.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 08:21 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-18-2020, 07:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 04:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I agree.  I've never had coffee anywhere that was as good as I can make at home.  Personally, I've gotten into making cold brew.  Not iced coffee.  I'm talking about cold brew, the kind you put in the refrigerator so it can brew for 24 hours.  To me, it's so much better than brewed hot coffee.  

Speaking of Hong Kong, we went there just a few years ago.  I'm glad we got there before all the protesting and rioting, and then this coronavirus.  It'll never be the same.

And I wonder what Italy will be like now.  They had such a huge tourism business, they have to be taking a huge economic hit.  It makes me wonder if they're going to be impoverished by this pandemic.
Yo. PM me what you’re doing for a cold brew.... I got the extra free time.

I started out drinking the pre-made they sell in the grocery stores, like Stok.  Don't bother with that.  That's just water.  

So then my next effort was to buy the 2 or 3 pound bags of beans at Costco, and grind them coarse (must be coarse ground).  It's very hard to find pre-ground coffee that is coarse ground.  So you have to grind it yourself.  Don't use one of those blade-type grinders.  Those produce a very inconsistent grind, with lots of coffee dust.  You need a burr-type grinder.  Anyway, grind it coarse.  Then you need one of those little cold brew makers, which cost about $15 to $25.  I found one at Wal-Mart, but you can order from Amazon of course.  They have a cylinder that fits down into the middle of the pitcher and holds the grounds.  Just fill that cylinder with grounds, fill the pitcher with water, and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.  This is the one I have:  

https://www.amazon.com/Primula-Burke-Col...163&sr=1-7

Then I tried something even easier, and that is, the cold brew packs.  Just drop one bag into a pitcher holding a few cups of water, wait 24 hours, and you have your cold brew.   Publix has Starbucks cold brew packs and Dunkin Donuts cold brew packs.  The best cold brew packs I have tried so far is Grady's, which I found at Wal-Mart.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KH4...0DER&psc=1

Making cold brew is not expensive.  If you use the cold brew packs, you're making coffee for about 50 to 75 cents a cup, and it's much better (in my opinion) than any coffee you get in a coffee shop.  

I tend to make my cold brew very strong, and then add 1/3 milk.  It has a very strong coffee flavor, sort of like chocolate.  It tastes so good, it's hard not to guzzle it.

But one thing I want to emphasize- do not drink the pre-made liquid cold brew you get in the grocery store.  That stuff is really bad.

Unreal.....

Los Angeles fills Venice Skate Park with sand amid #CoronavirusOutbreak

https://t.co/DSWyRGpx5k

Calling us morons. They just jealous and they living life scared, trapped in their home. Only like 700 cases with a population of like a million people spread out a large area. You people outside of duval county are morons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/20...ronavirus/

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 08:54 AM by mikesez.)

(04-18-2020, 06:23 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I drink espresso, so Starbucks is generally the best or only option. You can save money if you don't want a ton of milk by just ordering the shots and adding milk, a splash is 1" or so and is free. I usually get 4 shots, splash of milk, and a pump or 2 of flavor, iced in a veni cup. It's around $3.50 instead of the +$5 latte, etc.

At home it depends, but I like trying different roasters. Cold brew is a also good, but I generally don't have beans to make a great brew as espresso beans aren't great.

I got a Nespresso machine. I wish the pods were cheaper but it's still way less money than going to Starbucks or Dunkin, and it comes out looking and tasting just as good. But day-to-day I prefer normal brewed coffee.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-19-2020, 08:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 07:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yo. PM me what you’re doing for a cold brew.... I got the extra free time.

I started out drinking the pre-made they sell in the grocery stores, like Stok.  Don't bother with that.  That's just water.  

So then my next effort was to buy the 2 or 3 pound bags of beans at Costco, and grind them coarse (must be coarse ground).  It's very hard to find pre-ground coffee that is coarse ground.  So you have to grind it yourself.  Don't use one of those blade-type grinders.  Those produce a very inconsistent grind, with lots of coffee dust.  You need a burr-type grinder.  Anyway, grind it coarse.  Then you need one of those little cold brew makers, which cost about $15 to $25.  I found one at Wal-Mart, but you can order from Amazon of course.  They have a cylinder that fits down into the middle of the pitcher and holds the grounds.  Just fill that cylinder with grounds, fill the pitcher with water, and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.  This is the one I have:  

https://www.amazon.com/Primula-Burke-Col...163&sr=1-7

Then I tried something even easier, and that is, the cold brew packs.  Just drop one bag into a pitcher holding a few cups of water, wait 24 hours, and you have your cold brew.   Publix has Starbucks cold brew packs and Dunkin Donuts cold brew packs.  The best cold brew packs I have tried so far is Grady's, which I found at Wal-Mart.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KH4...0DER&psc=1

Making cold brew is not expensive.  If you use the cold brew packs, you're making coffee for about 50 to 75 cents a cup, and it's much better (in my opinion) than any coffee you get in a coffee shop.  

I tend to make my cold brew very strong, and then add 1/3 milk.  It has a very strong coffee flavor, sort of like chocolate.  It tastes so good, it's hard not to guzzle it.

But one thing I want to emphasize- do not drink the pre-made liquid cold brew you get in the grocery store.  That stuff is really bad.
My man! Cold Brew packs it is!

(04-19-2020, 08:42 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Calling us morons.  They just jealous and they living life scared, trapped in their home.  Only like 700 cases with a population of like a million people spread out a large area.   You people outside of duval county are morons.

Someone should tell them the difference in transmission rates for 80* humid weather in sunlight vs. Dry air conditioned recirculated indoor environments.

Cold coffee just does not compute with me and my tastebuds. It’s akin to eating melted ice cream.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2020, 11:00 AM by p_rushing.)

(04-19-2020, 10:19 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 08:42 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Calling us morons.  They just jealous and they living life scared, trapped in their home.  Only like 700 cases with a population of like a million people spread out a large area.   You people outside of duval county are morons.

Someone should tell them the difference in transmission rates for 80* humid weather in sunlight vs. Dry air conditioned recirculated indoor environments.

There are people that don't get that the virus hasn't effected everywhere like it has the large Democrat lead northern cities. They truly are living in fear and want the government to protect them. They never care about people dying unless it's a white person shooting a minority or putting a criminal to death, and now they care about a virus.

Hopefully Florida starts opening up soon. People are already everywhere so it isn't helping keeping people out of work.

(04-19-2020, 10:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Cold coffee just does not compute with me and my tastebuds. It’s akin to eating melted ice cream.

2 different things cold hot brewed vs cold brew but get your point.

Cold brew has more flavors and less acidity, so it is better for a lot of people.

(04-19-2020, 10:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Cold coffee just does not compute with me and my tastebuds. It’s akin to eating melted ice cream.

Melted ice cream is the best thing in the world!  What is wrong with you?

(04-19-2020, 10:57 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 10:19 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Someone should tell them the difference in transmission rates for 80* humid weather in sunlight vs. Dry air conditioned recirculated indoor environments.

There are people that don't get that the virus hasn't effected everywhere like it has the large Democrat lead northern cities. They truly are living in fear and want the government to protect them. They never care about people dying unless it's a white person shooting a minority or putting a criminal to death, and now they care about a virus.

Hopefully Florida starts opening up soon. People are already everywhere so it isn't helping keeping people out of work.

Man, all you need to know is that they are making citizens imprison themselves at home while letting convicted criminals out of the safety of our easily quarantined prisons.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2020, 06:13 AM by jj82284.)

(04-19-2020, 12:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 10:57 AM)p_rushing Wrote: There are people that don't get that the virus hasn't effected everywhere like it has the large Democrat lead northern cities. They truly are living in fear and want the government to protect them. They never care about people dying unless it's a white person shooting a minority or putting a criminal to death, and now they care about a virus.

Man, all you need to know is that they are making citizens imprison themselves at home while letting convicted criminals out of the safety of our easily quarantined prisons.

The level of insanity demonstrated in this situation is shocking.  2 trillion dollars in stimulus 4 trillion in quantitative easing and front line healthcare workers are getting pay cuts and administrative staff is being laid off.  This is childish.

(04-19-2020, 10:19 AM)jj82284 Wrote:

Did I already post this?

Indoors vs. Outdoors

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-19-2020, 07:58 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 10:19 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Someone should tell them the difference in transmission rates for 80* humid weather in sunlight vs. Dry air conditioned recirculated indoor environments.

Did I already post this?

Indoors vs. Outdoors

And the majority of cases in China were nov 19 to Feb 2020.  When you factor in the heat and humidity of Florida, Texas, Etc. you're talking about an even greater reduction in transmission.

(04-19-2020, 09:02 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGbYHJcMbz8

Rashid Buttar is an American osteopathic physician from Charlotte, North Carolina. He is known for his controversial use of chelation therapy for numerous conditions, including autism and cancer.[1] He has been reprimanded by the North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners for unethical treatment of patients.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashid_Buttar

Just the flu

(04-19-2020, 09:02 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGbYHJcMbz8
This kook sounds certifiable. Absolute friggin nut job that dude is.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(04-20-2020, 08:39 AM)JackCity Wrote: Just the flu

[Image: EVl4BbSXgAIxWlF.jpg]