Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(04-22-2020, 11:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 07:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: How do we shut down NYC, in any sense that is meaningful to public health, without also shutting down Disney World?
If Disney is open, how do you prevent the New York / New Jersey folks from mixing with the rest of us?

Its rapidly becoming clear that it doesnt matter for the vast overwhelming majority if they did.

You are also willfully misunderstanding the science, but at least you're funny.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Maybe this should go in the Trivial Annoyances thread, but it's getting tiresome listening to pundits describe the "new normal" of social distancing and infection prevention as something that will forever be part of the future.

No. No, it won't. In one year this will be vanishing in the rear view mirror. In two years it will be a topic of erstwhile conversation. Human nature does not change because of a one-time event.

(04-23-2020, 07:04 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 11:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Its rapidly becoming clear that it doesnt matter for the vast overwhelming majority if they did.

You are also willfully misunderstanding the science, but at least you're funny.

The science is settled. Overreaction, period.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2020, 08:13 AM by Gabe.)

(04-23-2020, 07:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Maybe this should go in the Trivial Annoyances thread, but it's getting tiresome listening to pundits describe the "new normal" of social distancing and infection prevention as something that will forever be part of the future.

No. No, it won't. In one year this will be vanishing in the rear view mirror. In two years it will be a topic of erstwhile conversation. Human nature does not change because of a one-time event.

Wellllll...for the most part, yes.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(04-23-2020, 07:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Maybe this should go in the Trivial Annoyances thread, but it's getting tiresome listening to pundits describe the "new normal" of social distancing and infection prevention as something that will forever be part of the future.

If the Dems can help it we'll be under their thumb forever, if it takes a Depression to do it then so be it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2020, 09:03 AM by Gabe.)

(04-22-2020, 02:29 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 01:29 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Ok, the left is now going to play this up. The virus, not a big deal Trump just used it to cause the recession that was going to happen anyways because Trump sucks.

Sounds just about as silly to me as Trump saying the left wants the economy to continue to tank because it hurts his re-election chances.

(04-23-2020, 08:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

If the Dems can help it we'll be under their thumb forever, if it takes a Depression to do it then so be it.

This seems to be a narrative constantly being pushed by the right - that folks who lean left would somehow rather be in a depression than not be in control.

(04-23-2020, 08:13 AM)Gabe Wrote:

Wellllll...for the most part, yes.

Regulation and oversight may be heightened, but our social instincts do not suddenly evolve. People will always travel, gather in close quarters and touch. It's what we do. Otherwise, the coronavirus would have been stopped dead in its tracks by our ingrained Spanish Flu prevention behaviors.

(04-23-2020, 08:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Hey. It worked the first time.

(04-23-2020, 08:19 AM)Rico Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVs5AyjzwRM

1. Hilarious
2.) Cutie
3.) Gotta loose points for missing the scarf

Chris Cuomo hates his job because his massive fame won't allow him to punch people who call him out for breaking the law and putting other lives in danger.

Chris Cuomo's son Marlo has tested positive for coronavirus.

I found out yesterday that Cuomo sweats when he works out. That's pretty cool.

(04-23-2020, 03:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/...brain-toes#

88% mortality rate for ventilators....

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2020, 02:13 PM by Gabe.)

Now that 60k is the new over/under threshold, think it's gonna stop there considering we're on the onset of 50k? FSG - your thoughts?

(04-23-2020, 02:11 PM)Gabe Wrote: Now that 60k is the new over/under threshold, think it's gonna stop there considering we're on the onset of 50k? FSG - your thoughts?

I think that by the end of the year, it'll be 80,000.

(04-23-2020, 02:11 PM)Gabe Wrote: Now that 60k is the new over/under threshold, think it's gonna stop there considering we're on the onset of 50k? FSG - your thoughts?

The curves show that we are sitting around 28k new cases per day. Watching that number the next few days will give us more insight to where we are on the curve, the expectation is that the new case number begins a rapid decline that also drives down the daily death number. I was on an update call earlier today that said local health systems are stepping down the readiness level to "epidemic" which is consistent with the lower than expected "surge" in hospital admissions in Florida. That means we could start seeing a resumption of some elective health services for those who need them. The difficulty with the threshold is that we're still counting deaths as COVID that really aren't, so they're overstated. We also are learning much more about the current and earlier proliferation in the USA which also drives down the mortality rates. If we truly do get up to 60k or 70k total deaths (the current IHME plateau is around May 14) then that is a bit more than a severe flu season, but nowhere near the initial projections. All in all it seems we're on a good path to be out of this mess in a few more weeks.

I hope you're still feeling well and your wife is doing better.

(04-23-2020, 02:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

The curves show that we are sitting around 28k new cases per day. Watching that number the next few days will give us more insight to where we are on the curve, the expectation is that the new case number begins a rapid decline that also drives down the daily death number. I was on an update call earlier today that said local health systems are stepping down the readiness level to "epidemic" which is consistent with the lower than expected "surge" in hospital admissions in Florida. That means we could start seeing a resumption of some elective health services for those who need them. The difficulty with the threshold is that we're still counting deaths as COVID that really aren't, so they're overstated. We also are learning much more about the current and earlier proliferation in the USA which also drives down the mortality rates. If we truly do get up to 60k or 70k total deaths (the current IHME plateau is around May 14) then that is a bit more than a severe flu season, but nowhere near the initial projections. All in all it seems we're on a good path to be out of this mess in a few more weeks.

I hope you're still feeling well and your wife is doing better.

I appreciate that and we're both doing better. I think she's on the tail-end of everything. 

I too have been watching the new case count...which will definitely be interesting to watch the ebb & flow over the next several weeks as some states jump the proverbial gun (i.e. Georgia) on getting back to business. WH projected, initially, 100k to 200k dead opposed to 2m without any measures put into place, since being downgraded to 60k. Without any slowdown in casecount, TRM, I think we hit 80k by the end of June, if not before - now that we're in 2k/day territory.

(04-23-2020, 08:19 AM)Rico Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVs5AyjzwRM

That was awesome.  Pretty much sums it up as we’ve all been told.

A 3000 person sample projects over 20% of NYC residents are positive for the antibodies. Looking at the actual numbers I'm not sure how the math works out, but this means the virus is far less lethal in any case.

Link

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Lots of nuggets in this presentation, including a criticism of the hydoxyichloriquine study and potentially 2 different strains of the virus.