Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(04-25-2020, 11:54 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did you people really have nothing better to do than this on a beautiful Saturday?

I was watching the draft and working on the lit review for my dissertation, so, yes, I really did!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 08:42 AM by mikesez.)

(04-25-2020, 11:36 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 03:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: You're telling me stuff I already know.
Once again you confuse my derisive sarcasm for ignorance.
You assume that because somebody disagrees with you, they must know less than you.
The good news, for you, is that this rebuke will also fail to hit home and you can continue imagining that you know more than me or have something to teach me or anyone else who graduated high school on this subject.
Come on.  What are you thinking? You think they can get optical fiber into the capillaries of the lungs?
So is your last line more of your sarcasm or legit stupidity?

You're not worth it.

(04-25-2020, 11:46 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 11:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Morons are great for the entertainment value.
And the effort he continually puts into it blows my mind!

It probably takes you a lot of effort to put together a paragraph. Me, not so much. I have plenty of time for other stuff, don't worry.
Enjoy the sunburns on your alveoli!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 08:47 AM by mikesez.)

(04-26-2020, 08:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 11:54 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did you people really have nothing better to do than this on a beautiful Saturday?

I was watching the draft and working on the lit review for my dissertation, so, yes, I really did!

Oh wow. Congrats on being (almost) Phinally Done! What field are you in?

(04-26-2020, 08:47 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 08:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I was watching the draft and working on the lit review for my dissertation, so, yes, I really did!

Oh wow. Congrats on being (almost) Phinally Done! What field are you in?

Health admin. I'm examining the role and structure of higher education in healthcare leadership. My prop boils down as the idea that the University's focus on creating facility administrators is at cross purposes with a healthcare industry that is pushing towards decentralization through value based paradigms of quality and reimbursement led by physician executives. I have about a year left to go in coursework and research.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

If I hear one more commercial backed by poignant piano riffs, hear one more rendition of 'Lean On Me', or watch one more person sing from their window, my head is going to explode. I would rather have someone who is positive cough in my face than witness any more of this wallowing treacly compassion.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 12:46 PM by B2hibry.)

(04-26-2020, 08:39 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 11:36 PM)B2hibry Wrote: So is your last line more of your sarcasm or legit stupidity?

You're not worth it.

(04-25-2020, 11:46 PM)B2hibry Wrote: And the effort he continually puts into it blows my mind!

It probably takes you a lot of effort to put together a paragraph. Me, not so much. I have plenty of time for other stuff, don't worry.
Ahh, someone is finally getting sand where the sun don't shine? I don't think anyone really expected common sense or admittance of being wrong from an "engineer" anyways!

(04-26-2020, 10:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If I hear one more commercial backed by poignant piano riffs, hear one more rendition of 'Lean On Me', or watch one more person sing from their window, my head is going to explode. I would rather have someone who is positive cough in my face than witness any more of this wallowing treacly compassion.

This is what killed me about the draft. Neverending corona based Sarah McLachlan commercials where even the garbage man is a hero.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

[Image: 4af12846188ceb3c8ea6a6c6b73e6c1d.gif]

(04-26-2020, 12:44 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 08:39 AM)mikesez Wrote: You're not worth it.

Ahh, someone is finally getting sand where the sun don't shine? I don't think anyone really expected common sense or admittance of being wrong from an "engineer" anyways!

Look, maybe I misunderstood you.  
Sincerely, no snark, I'm under the impression that you believe lung fluid can be safely hit with UV.  Either by shining the UV within the lungs, or by bringing the fluid out of the lungs, irradiating it, then putting it back in.  
Do you believe either of these ideas are feasible?

(04-24-2020, 07:52 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Trumps oratory skills in a press briefing setting are 4 to 5 out of ten.

Hiss actions and  natural instincts are seeds of greatness.

I wish he'd set an example for the rest of us by drinking bleach.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 04:37 PM by MalabarJag.)

(04-26-2020, 02:20 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 12:44 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Ahh, someone is finally getting sand where the sun don't shine? I don't think anyone really expected common sense or admittance of being wrong from an "engineer" anyways!

Look, maybe I misunderstood you.  
Sincerely, no snark, I'm under the impression that you believe lung fluid can be safely hit with UV.  Either by shining the UV within the lungs, or by bringing the fluid out of the lungs, irradiating it, then putting it back in.  

Are you claiming that the right UV wavelength(s) can't pass through "lung fluid" killing the virus in the process? The "lung fluid" might even help transmit the UV deeper into the lungs past where the optic fibers can reach.

Whether or not killing the virus in the lungs would make a significant difference is another matter, and I doubt even the "experts" are sure of the answer.

(04-26-2020, 03:06 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 07:52 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Trumps oratory skills in a press briefing setting are 4 to 5 out of ten.

Are you volunteering to try it first, because "drinking bleach" is not something Trump said?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

https://twitter.com/CornellAgriTech/stat...80385?s=19

Line up some patients.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2020, 05:21 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(04-26-2020, 03:06 PM)TJBender Wrote:

He has a teflon stomach. Nothing would happen to him.

The funny thing is, Trumps ideas will probably branch off into a whole new area of R&D for UV light and virus treatment.

(04-26-2020, 04:35 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 02:20 PM)mikesez Wrote: Look, maybe I misunderstood you.  

Are you claiming that the right UV wavelength(s) can't pass through "lung fluid" killing the virus in the process? The "lung fluid" might even help transmit the UV deeper into the lungs past where the optic fibers can reach.

Whether or not killing the virus in the lungs would make a significant difference is another matter, and I doubt even the "experts" are sure of the answer.

Lung fluid probably transmits more UV light than it absorbs.  Depends how thick it is. But you have to bring the light right to the fluid. You can't rely on the body to "circulate" the light the way it does oxygen and glucose. So this means some sort of invasive process, akin to installing a ventilator. And even if you decided you were brave enough to try with a sebset of desperate patients, it's not likely that the extremely delicate cells in the lungs tolerate UV any more than the virus does.

Mikipedia

(04-26-2020, 06:12 PM)Last42min Wrote: Mikipedia

The talk page is right below.  Submit your corrections/clarifications.

(04-26-2020, 05:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 04:35 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Are you claiming that the right UV wavelength(s) can't pass through "lung fluid" killing the virus in the process? The "lung fluid" might even help transmit the UV deeper into the lungs past where the optic fibers can reach.

Lung fluid probably transmits more UV light than it absorbs.  Depends how thick it is. But you have to bring the light right to the fluid. You can't rely on the body to "circulate" the light the way it does oxygen and glucose. So this means some sort of invasive process, akin to installing a ventilator. And even if you decided you were brave enough to try with a sebset of desperate patients, it's not likely that the extremely delicate cells in the lungs tolerate UV any more than the virus does.

The UV is claimed to be of a wavelength that doesn't harm cells. I'd be more worried about the optic fibers causing damage. And yes, this could only be used on the desperately ill who have to be intubated anyway. There are probably some other details that would need to be worked out too, and it may not work even then. But the point remains, this is not a totally ridiculous idea that the Leftist media (NYT, CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, WaPo, ...) made it out to be.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-26-2020, 05:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 03:06 PM)TJBender Wrote: I wish he'd set an example for the rest of us by drinking bleach.

The funny thing is, Trumps ideas will probably branch off into a whole new area of R&D for UV light and virus treatment.

At Trump University, no doubt.

(04-26-2020, 05:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 03:06 PM)TJBender Wrote: I wish he'd set an example for the rest of us by drinking bleach.

You should be eligible for the Noble Prize.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2020, 12:58 AM by jagfan0728.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...e=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-e7Cb2z7Hg

Here's some good news:

https://www.deccanherald.com/science-and...30063.html

As has been discussed many times in the media, this company will begin production of the vaccine immediately, taking the risk that the trials don't go as anticipated.