Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(05-12-2020, 01:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: Well I was feeling like a dog droppings this entire morning and the boss told me to go home and get a Coronavirus test before coming back. I had to wait about half an hour in a lobby to get the test, I'm going to have to wait at least 3 days for the results. I doubt I have it. I probably have something else.

Probably not since the prevalence isn't nearly what the fear mongers are selling. Hope you feel better soon.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-12-2020, 04:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 01:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: Well I was feeling like a dog droppings this entire morning and the boss told me to go home and get a Coronavirus test before coming back. I had to wait about half an hour in a lobby to get the test, I'm going to have to wait at least 3 days for the results. I doubt I have it. I probably have something else.

Probably not since the prevalence isn't nearly what the fear mongers are selling. Hope you feel better soon.

Anyone catch pope fauci today?

Fauci making sense. Those rushing to open back up are only going to set the economy back if a big 2nd wave occurs. But that's Trump's call.

Seems Trump is rushing to open up to catch up with countries that did a much better job containing it with early testing and tracing.

(05-12-2020, 08:25 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Fauci making sense. Those rushing to open back up are only going to set the economy back if a big 2nd wave occurs. But that's Trump's call.

Seems Trump is rushing to open up to catch up with countries that did a much better job containing it with early testing and tracing.

The thing is that it is a big if. If vitamin D findings are real, then southern cities will not be hit hard as people are less likely to have issues. It also ties with people in nursing homes getting hit hard as they don't get out in the sun much if at all. So for places that haven't been hit hard in the 1st wave, a 2nd wave may never come. It is also likely that a 2nd wave is unstoppable if you believe everything Fauci says.

So what do you want? Stay shut down until a vaccine exists and is proven to work with more than 1 double blind study? Or to open back up during the summer and at least have a chance to keep business alive. If you stay closed or the 2nd wave hits, businesses will not survive and that includes large corporations.

(05-12-2020, 08:25 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Fauci making sense. Those rushing to open back up are only going to set the economy back if a big 2nd wave occurs. But that's Trump's call.

Technically, it's Trump's call but he's actually deferring the the data-driven multi-phase CDC guidelines and the individual State Governors. 

For the areas that are reopening, here is the best information I have found on the real risks and how to avoid them.  Very interesting and clear examples are given for some of the worst local outbreaks, how they happened, and how you can avoid becoming infected.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-ris...avoid-them

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2020, 09:49 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Has anyone looked at the contents of Pelosi's bill? Holy [BLEEP].

If this garbage makes it to Trumps desk, he should tear it up like she did the SOTU address.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2020, 09:53 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Tony Fauchi told me in March I dont need to wear a mask. He has basically been wrong about everything. He also told me in January to not worry about COVID-19. He told me it "wasn't a major threat to the US".

Tony is talking out all sides of his behind and is the biggest mistake of Trumps presidency thus far.

So you wanted Fauci/Trump to enforce stricter measures?

You are probably right. So it probably makes sense not to ease them before getting under control.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 07:08 AM by The Real Marty.)

It's not an easy choice, and I don't envy those who have to make these decisions.  

How many people will die from reopening the economy?  
How can the poorer people live without working?  
What will our world be like if the economy contracts by 10 or 20 percent?
What will be the consequences of the mountain of personal and public debt we incur while parts of the economy are shut down?  
If we reopen too soon, will there be a second wave that damages the economy even worse?  

These are not easy questions.  It seems to me that disaster lies in every direction, no matter what path we take.  

I realize that a non-partisan, balanced statement like the above is not likely to draw much response from those of you who enjoy partisanship.  So I'm not expecting anyone to respond to it.  Carry on.

(05-13-2020, 07:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's not an easy choice, and I don't envy those who have to make these decisions.  

What will be the consequences of the mountain of personal and public debt we incur while parts of the economy are shut down?  
If we reopen too soon, will there be a second wave that damages the economy even worse?  

These are not easy questions.  It seems to me that disaster lies in every direction, no matter what path we take.  

I realize that a non-partisan, balanced statement like the above is not likely to draw much response from those of you who enjoy partisanship.  So I'm not expecting anyone to respond to it.  Carry on.

These are all good questions, and show that, after two months of lockdown, we still don't know enough to insure we have chosen correctly. Are we taking Mitch Trubisky or Patrick Mahomes?

You left out some questions:

How many will be killed by the lockdown?

How many lives will be saved by waiting?
Is a "cure" close at hand that makes waiting possible?
Are the alternatives to the lockdown such as infecting everyone in the low risk categories quickly?

The lockdown was intended just to flatten the curve (at least that's how it was originally sold to the public). The curve was far flatter than it needed to be, so the lockdown was excessive in that regard. I suppose even an extra couple of months of life has value, but how many lives did it actually save vs. merely extend? At what cost?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(05-13-2020, 07:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's not an easy choice, and I don't envy those who have to make these decisions.  

Considering the suicide hotline is up over 1000%, I think the more fair question is, how many people will die from NOT reopening the economy.

It never ceases to amaze me how you just get so many fundamental facts completely and utterly wrong.

You on the alternative facts again?

(05-13-2020, 08:50 AM)jj82284 Wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how you just get so many fundamental facts completely and utterly wrong.

...and the pommy could not care less. He must not be capable of feeling the embarrassment.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 09:06 AM by lastonealive.)

Wish you guys would occasionally argue a point?

Like when I said the pandemic was going the way of Italy and you called me a liar...

Oh well good luck 2nd time lucky?

(05-13-2020, 09:05 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Wish you guys would occasionally argue a point?

Like when I said the pandemic was going the way of Italy and you called me a liar...

It wasn't going the way of Italy, you were wrong.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 09:17 AM by jj82284.)

In reality, this is the biggest false choice in modern american history.  What's the one question no one is asking?  Personal Viral Mitigation vs. State mandated lockdown.  By that I mean if you take away a top down edict from the governor does that mean that everyone in the state is going to just pretend the virus never existed?

I don't carry around Hand Sanitizer because I'm afraid I'll get arrested.  I carry it around because I don't want to get sick and have to quarantine from my wife and business.  I wash my hands more, stay away from old people, and stopped shaking hands.  I didn't do that because I'm scared of getting taken to jail, i didn't do that because pope Fauci told me to do it.  I do it because my personal value system leads me to protect myself within reason.  Lifting an artificial and arbitrary state lockdown isn't going to change that behavior on my part and it certainly isn't going to change the personal protective behavior of anyone currently complying with the lockdowns.  

Moreover, those changes-independent of state control- are actually the big ticket items in slowing the spread of the virus.  That's why places like Sweden haven't turned to the smoldering ash everyone predicted.  Shutting down the schools is a big ticket public policy item but with all the data coming out a.) we don't think that Children are serious vectors for this contagion and b.) that only reduces the total number of infections by about 2% while doing unimaginable damage to child performance and the economy with the added burden of childcare.  Shutting down a local church will get a politicians name in the paper but in reality a Pastor and his congregation have flexibility to social distance in a sanctuary or go to drive through/outside services far greater than the capacity of Cost Co, Walmart, etc.  You have an arbitrary list of "essential businesses" that can stay open created by groups of people who couldn't tell you how to make a pencil if their lives depended on it.  That's not sound public policy, that's a dog a pony show.  

Andrew Cuomo pointed out in his own words 84% of all hospitalizations in NY state came from people sheltering in Place or Nursing homes.  That means that on its face, the lock down policy failed to achieve any of its objectives.  When you add to that the fact that on 3/25/2020 he ORDERED Nursing homes to take Covid 19 patients, knowing the risk profile of this virus, you can make a sound argument that the lockdown strategy actually COST LIVES even in NYC and that's not even talking about the collateral damage of pushing positive pressure ventilation, that doesn't work, with Medicare payment schedules and the scores of patients who died, or ensuring that a Healthcare system that was NOT overrun by Covid 19 was SHUT DOWN to all other morbidities that account for a much greater percentage of the overal mortality in this country.  

In short, this exercise should teach everyone paying any attention that the state CANNOT DO ANYTHING!!!  As p_rushing pointed out, our response was directed by a man who a.) authorized and funded the gain of function research that led to the greatest health catastrophy in our collective lieftimes b.) whose initial containment strategy failed c.) whose initial confidence in the WHO proved calamatous d.) wrong on masks e.) contradicted himself on death rates f.) had us follow a myriad of fraudulent computer models, g.) advocated for the compulsory production of 100k ventilators that don't work for this disease. h.) has been consistently behind countries like Germany, Sweden, ISrale etc. on innovation and research regarding this contagion. That's the EXPERT!  

If we had approached this as a free society and not depended entirely on the nanny state to lock us in our houses and wash our hands for us while singing us a luliby about a vaccine to an RNA virus in less than a year (Flu shots are what 50% effective after 2000 years?  no vaccine to Sars Cov-1) we would be much further along to herd immunity, we would have actual death numbers not inflated death numbers to get medicare funding.  We would know which treatments work and which don't, we wouldn't be treated to 3 drug monte based on which company donated money to the NIH and the CDC.  We would be a lot closer to Herd immunity (now estimated to only be around 40% infection-recovery rate because children aren't signifigant disease vectors.)  We have prolonged this crisis and done damage to this economy some are estimating will take 10 years to recover from.  The deaths in 3rd world countries because of the aid the west won't be able to give them in the wake of this fiasco will greatly outweigh the people who pass away from this virus-and even that number is skewed because again all the geniuses and doom sayers PUT COV POSITIVE PATIENTS IN NURSING HOMES!!!!!!!  Not to mention the fact that we allocated healthcare resources to make sure than there were enough ventilators that don't work to service patients that were never hospitalized that we reduced chemotherapy by 50%, brain surgeries are down, heart surgeries, cancer screenings etc. etc. etc.  

This is the greatest evidentiary debacle in the history of mankind.  There were some people who called it at the beginning.  There should be no one who denies it in hindsight.

(05-13-2020, 09:05 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Wish you guys would occasionally argue a point?

deaths per million 

U.S 150
Sweden 200
Spain/Italy 400

anything else you would like to be wrong about today?

(05-13-2020, 09:12 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

It wasn't going the way of Italy, you were wrong.

+1

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 09:26 AM by lastonealive.)

Unbelievable 3 times the deaths of Italy (and likely massively underreported) most cases in the world.

Per capita more cases than Italy ( they have tested more per capita too) deaths quickly catching per capita.

I give in. Trump is doing a great job, US leading the way!

Also by looking up these numbers do you acknowledge Trump has been lying on testing?

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2020, 09:36 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(05-13-2020, 09:24 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Unbelievable 3 times the deaths of Italy (and likely massively underreported) most cases in the world.

Per capita more cases than Italy ( they have tested more per capita too) deaths quickly catching per capita.

I give in. Trump is doing a great job, US leading the way!

Italy has 31K deaths with a population of 61M.

US has 83K deaths with a population of 330M.

Maybe you should consider population in your algorithm.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, a lot of those deaths are bogus COVID-19 COD. If I got run over by a steamroller and found to have COVID-19, that is my official COD.

You do realise it hit Italy first right? It's like you haven't been watching. It is catching up every day. New York alone has as many deaths as Italy. Now it's starting to accelerate elsewhere.