Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

I see Bishop McKissick is suffering from TDS. I wonder if his response would've been the same if Trump was the President who issued the Emancipation Proclamation? Sad that a person who claims to speak Truth is so confused about basic political science and so many people follow along in the ignorance.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/n...f936248d69
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-25-2020, 09:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I see Bishop McKissick is suffering from TDS. I wonder if his response would've been the same if Trump was the President who issued the Emancipation Proclamation? Sad that a person who claims to speak Truth is so confused about basic political science and so many people follow along in the ignorance.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/n...f936248d69

Figured they would be antsy to get those collection plates back out in the floor. Those Lexus' aren't gonna pay for themselves.

(05-25-2020, 09:34 AM)mikesez Wrote: So I saw that the US is about to cross the threshold of 100,000 deaths. I went looking for context, how are other countries doing? I wouldn't compare us to repressive countries like Russia or China.
I found that we have much more deaths per million people than Germany, South Korea, and Taiwan. And I found that we have much less than France or Italy or Spain. Just spitballing, but it seems like the places that rely more on tourism have had a harder time quarantining.  
Also, I seem to recall Germany was one of the first countries to mass produce tests after the virus genome came out. It seems like having a huge number of tests available right when the virus is just starting to spread is the ideal scenario. I remember reading that our CDC didn't want to follow Germany's example because they were afraid of the virus mutating. They wasted time trying to develop a test that could be adapted to mutations. And for some reason all of our private pharmaceutical companies didn't mobilize on developing tests right away. I don't think either of those things are necessarily Trump's fault, I mean maybe they are, but they seem like the kind of mistakes that might have happened under any President.
As much as everyone's going to make this political as we head into the election, I don't see the partisan angle.
I do see the need to get to the bottom of what went wrong here and make a better plan for next time.

Cuomo is responsible for most of the 10,000+ nursing home deaths in New York. The NYC subway system is probably a major factor too. Nursing home deaths across the country are a large percentage of the US deaths.

Orlando has fared pretty well in spite of being a tourist mecca. Cruise ships were a big factor in SE Florida. New Orleans had a big outbreak because of Mardi Gras, but seems to have gotten things under control since then. Business travel seems to be as much a factor as tourism.

Japan has a high number of seniors, did not do social distancing, and yet has one of the lowest infection rates and death rates per-capita. Maybe masks were the big difference. The US "experts" started out by saying that masks weren't needed in the general population. 

In fairness, we didn't know much of anything about the virus in early March. While Cuomo (along with some other governors who also ordered infected seniors back into nursing homes) and "experts" are responsible for many or even most of the deaths, I wouldn't call them guilty. Mistakes were made, and will continue to be made because there's still a lot we don't know.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 10:48 AM by The Real Marty.)

Taiwan has all but eliminated Covid-19.  So how have they been so successful?  I would point to one thing- they make everyone wear a mask when they are outside of their home.  Mandatory.  This lines up with what I have read about how the disease is mainly spread through one person breathing it out and another person breathing it in.   A mask keeps people from spewing the virus into the air when they cough or talk.

If everyone in the United States would simply wear a mask whenever they are in public, it would cut the rate of transmission so effectively, all those other measures like social distancing and plexiglass partitions in grocery stores would be the icing on the cake, and we'd have it under control in no time.

Taiwan has completely reopened.  Their kids are back in school, and people are going out and doing things just like they did before the virus hit.  Just one thing- EVERYONE wears a mask.  Everyone.

(05-25-2020, 10:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Taiwan has all but eliminated Covid-19.  So how have they been so successful?  I would point to one thing- they make everyone wear a mask when they are outside of their home.  Mandatory.  This lines up with what I have read about how the disease is mainly spread through one person breathing it out and another person breathing it in.   A mask keeps people from spewing the virus into the air when they cough or talk.

If everyone in the United States would simply wear a mask whenever they are in public, it would cut the rate of transmission so effectively, all those other measures like social distancing and plexiglass partitions in grocery stores would be the icing on the cake, and we'd have it under control in no time.

Taiwan has completely reopened.  Their kids are back in school, and people are going out and doing things just like they did before the virus hit.  Just one thing- EVERYONE wears a mask.  Everyone.

Yeah, but MY RIGHTS!!

(05-25-2020, 10:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Taiwan has all but eliminated Covid-19.  So how have they been so successful?  I would point to one thing- they make everyone wear a mask when they are outside of their home.  Mandatory.  This lines up with what I have read about how the disease is mainly spread through one person breathing it out and another person breathing it in.   A mask keeps people from spewing the virus into the air when they cough or talk.

I think the issue is, nobody trusts the numbers and the "experts" continue to flip-flop on what the best preventative measures are. I mean, the CDC just told us the virus doesn't live on surfaces for crying out loud.

Also, Taiwan has a population of ~25M. Lets get some apples to apples here Dr. Marty.

(05-25-2020, 12:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

I think the issue is, nobody trusts the numbers and the "experts" continue to flip-flop on what the best preventative measures are. I mean, the CDC just told us the virus doesn't live on surfaces for crying out loud.

Also, Taiwan has a population of ~25M. Lets get some apples to apples here Dr. Marty.

Taiwan also closer to the equator than florida.

(05-25-2020, 12:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

25 million on an island 1/3 the size of Florida.   And yet, they have it under control, they've completely reopened their economy and the school system, and everything is up and running like normal.   What they are doing is wearing masks.   I have in-laws in Taiwan, and they say about the only thing they are doing to control the disease is wearing masks.

(05-25-2020, 01:34 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 12:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I think the issue is, nobody trusts the numbers and the "experts" continue to flip-flop on what the best preventative measures are. I mean, the CDC just told us the virus doesn't live on surfaces for crying out loud.

25 million on an island 1/3 the size of Florida.   And yet, they have it under control, they've completely reopened their economy and the school system, and everything is up and running like normal.   What they are doing is wearing masks.   I have in-laws in Taiwan, and they say about the only thing they are doing to control the disease is wearing masks.

How did they keep infected from driving over their borders?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-25-2020, 02:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 01:34 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: 25 million on an island 1/3 the size of Florida.   And yet, they have it under control, they've completely reopened their economy and the school system, and everything is up and running like normal.   What they are doing is wearing masks.   I have in-laws in Taiwan, and they say about the only thing they are doing to control the disease is wearing masks.

How did they keep infected from driving over their borders?

Ohyou.jpg
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

How we all doing? Been a few weeks since i scrolled down here. Hope you and your families are coping.

The UK is certainly an interesting place at the moment. We have the highest death numbers in Europe, a whole mess with PPE ( a sad story with far too many comedy errors), we are starting 14 day quarantine for people flying in on the 8th June but plan to reopen all shops on June 15th.

And this weekend has seen a whole saga with the Prime Minister's most senior advisor breaking lockdown procedures. He and his wife both showed symptoms so travelled over 260 miles with their child to a 2nd residence. Then was spotted out driving. His excuse was his eyesight was bad so he went for a drive to see if he could drive....good luck!

People are angry over here, not seen this angry since KFC ran out of chicken!

(05-25-2020, 08:00 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 09:40 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Yeah if only you had a positive media like the Chinese or North Koreans.

Speaker of House: Trump,  you are morbidly obese.
Trump: <plays golf for exercise on memorial day weekend>
Media: Damn it man! People are dying! Get back in the White House!

BTW, we have the equivalent of state run media if you haven't been paying attention.

Im not sure if Trump controls fox or fox controls Trump. 

Think it may actually be Media run state.

(05-25-2020, 08:00 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 09:40 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Yeah if only you had a positive media like the Chinese or North Koreans.

Speaker of House: Trump,  you are morbidly obese.
Trump: <plays golf for exercise on memorial day weekend>
Media: Damn it man! People are dying! Get back in the White House!

BTW, we have the equivalent of state run media if you haven't been paying attention.
“Hey honey. Get a load of these libs!”

*wife sighs*

“Yes yes. Trump is great. Libs bad. Obama Hilary made in America I hate wearing a mask....”

“I know right. Trump is awesome!”

(05-25-2020, 01:34 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 12:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I think the issue is, nobody trusts the numbers and the "experts" continue to flip-flop on what the best preventative measures are. I mean, the CDC just told us the virus doesn't live on surfaces for crying out loud.

They also prepared for human transmission while the rest of the world was being fed lies by china.

Are you claiming that the US trusts everything China says?

Let's stop making excuses.

The countries that have fared better had well funded well prepared services that got straight into testing and tracing.

If you voted for cutting of taxes and public services you are likely part of the problem why your country hasn't fared as well.

(05-25-2020, 08:04 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Are you claiming that the US trusts everything China says?

Let's stop making excuses.

The countries that have fared better had well funded well prepared services that got straight into testing and tracing.

If you voted for cutting of taxes and public services you are likely part of the problem why your country hasn't fared as well.

We're better statistically than the UK, Sweden, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Ireland, and Spain. So you're pissing out of your uninformed [BLEEP] as usual, but please, keep up the entertainment.

The UK has been on the same path of cutting services for years?

Sweden has gone a different approach so not really comparable. But I guess are kind of showing the open the economy it's just a flu isn't working.

Any thoughts on Germany? They are terribly located and done an amazing job.

I would also caution comparing numbers between countries at this point it's quite clear some are massively undersold compared to others. I imagine the US will overtake many of the ones you mentioned despite having a much less dense population.

Let me guess you voted to cut these pointless public services and to cut tax?

(05-25-2020, 08:24 PM)lastonealive Wrote: The UK has been on the same path of cutting services for years?

Sweden has gone a different approach so not really comparable. But I guess are kind of showing the open the economy it's just a flu isn't working.

Any thoughts on Germany? They are terribly located and done an amazing job.

I would also caution comparing numbers between countries at this point it's quite clear some are massively undersold compared to others. I imagine the US will overtake many of the ones you mentioned despite having a much less dense population.

Let me guess you voted to cut these pointless public services and to cut tax?

What "public services" are you talking about? 

If you are referring to the CDC and/or FDA, their budgets have increased under Trump, and probably every year under Obama too. Doubling their budget would just double the number of people reciting the "expert" party line that kept the US from going to masks immediately. and insisting on not using tests other than the CDC tests.

If you are referring to hospital beds, ICU beds, or ventilators, the US has more beds per capita than just about every other Western democracy.

If you are referring to PPE the US has foolishly farmed out the manufacture to China, like every other country.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Not quite sure what you are arguing.

Those who had contact tracing and testing in place early have done better have they not?

It's easy to say spending has gone up but need to factor in inflation and population increases. I imagine of we fact check your comment it won't stand up to scrutiny.

No need to be defensive, many countries made a similar blunder.

(05-25-2020, 09:28 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not quite sure what you are arguing.

Those who had contact tracing and testing in place early have done better have they not?

It's easy to say spending has gone up but need to factor in inflation and population increases. I imagine of we fact check your comment it won't stand up to scrutiny.

No need to be defensive, many countries made a similar blunder.

Testing was crippled by the CDC bureaucracy. Your claim about cutting taxes and public services does not apply since spending on the CDC increased.

Contact tracing would not be legal in the USA. Maybe you prefer a totalitarian police state? If so, I hear Venezuela is looking for immigrants.

The US numbers are heavily skewed by NYC and surrounding counties where they kept the subways running without increased cleaning until it was too late, and infected people in New York were sent back to nursing homes by edict from the governor of New York, a progressive Democrat who is all for higher taxes and "public services." There were 10,000 COVID victims just in NY nursing homes, about 10% of the entire US total. New York state has some of the highest taxes in the USA, and lots of "public services."

Florida (you know, the state where the Jags are located) has a larger population than NY state but less than 10% of the deaths. That's because the governor of Florida prioritized protecting nursing home residents rather than sending infected people into them.

Our biggest mistake in the US was trusting the WHO experts, not knowing they were owned by the ChiComs and would just pass on their lies. Had we clamped down foreign travel earlier the death toll would be much less. Our second biggest mistake was trusting the CDC experts about masks. Cuomo contributed 10% of the US deaths; the voters in New York made that mistake and the rest of the country had no say in the choice.