Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2020, 11:52 AM by JackCity.)

(06-26-2020, 11:48 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:44 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Are you rooting for a total economic shutdown and destroying our country all in the name of a president you don't like?

Just trying to better understand the mind of Jack.

He hates the USA and cheers anything bad that happens here. If China nuked the USA he'd probably throw a gala celebration.

i don't hate it, just people tend to be very blind about bad things their country does, as evidenced by every thread in here. I'm equally as forthcoming when it comes to the flaws of my own country though.

(06-26-2020, 11:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:49 AM)JackCity Wrote: no it actually has nothing to do with Trumps election chances for me or the economy/stock market. Just rooting for a country thats handled a pandemic terribly to make improvements

What kind of improvements?

Anyone who wants a test can get a test, and they are. What else do you want?

shutting down the bars/restaurants  is a good step for texas and florida to take after how badly they've botched it

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-26-2020, 11:51 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:48 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: He hates the USA and cheers anything bad that happens here. If China nuked the USA he'd probably throw a gala celebration.

i don't hate it, just people tend to be very blind about bad things their country does, as evidenced by every thread in here. I'm equally as forthcoming when it comes to the flaws of my own country though.

(06-26-2020, 11:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What kind of improvements?

Anyone who wants a test can get a test, and they are. What else do you want?

shutting down the bars/restaurants  is a good step for texas and florida to take after how badly they've botched it

Ok. That has happened.

When more cases continue to come, then what?

(06-26-2020, 11:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:51 AM)JackCity Wrote: i don't hate it, just people tend to be very blind about bad things their country does, as evidenced by every thread in here. I'm equally as forthcoming when it comes to the flaws of my own country though.

Ok. That has happened.

bars are shutdown but not restaurants. need to go back and limit people in public places too. Basically you need to restart your lockdown again because you did it wrong , oh and people should get covid 19 payments for being out of work

(06-26-2020, 11:58 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Ok. That has happened.

bars are shutdown but not restaurants. need to go back and limit people in public places too. Basically you need to restart your lockdown again because you did it wrong , oh and people should get covid 19 payments for being out of work

Those are some VERY general solutions that have already proven not to work in the actual real world.

(06-26-2020, 12:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:58 AM)JackCity Wrote: bars are shutdown but not restaurants. need to go back and limit people in public places too. Basically you need to restart your lockdown again because you did it wrong , oh and people should get covid 19 payments for being out of work

Those are some VERY general solutions that have already proven not to work in the actual real world.

They work when followed , source: multiple other countries

(06-26-2020, 12:07 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 12:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Those are some VERY general solutions that have already proven not to work in the actual real world.

They work when followed , source: multiple other countries

Those "solutions" were meant to flatten the curve so that hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. The same number of people will still eventually contract the disease.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-26-2020, 12:13 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 12:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: They work when followed , source: multiple other countries

Those "solutions" were meant to flatten the curve so that hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. The same number of people will still eventually contract the disease.

these "solutions" include mass contact tracing , covid payments so people aren't forced to return to work and mask wearing in public.

(06-26-2020, 12:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: They work when followed , source: multiple other countries

False.  If social practices make the R0 always less than one, the rate of new infections will taper down to zero over time even if there is no herd immunity.  R0 is the average number of new infections each infected person creates.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Dr. Tony Fauchi has turned the entire country into cynics, with good reason. The government has botched stimulus payments. Landlords can't evict people right now. "Essential" large companies are burying small business. Virtual learning has been a complete disaster. Tony Fauchi has scared people into skipping routine tests that will likely kill them anyway.

It is a mess and people should be allowed to make their own calculated decisions on how they want to live their lives.

That's not optimal, imo. Difference of opinion.

Just wear a mask, people!

And not below your nose like a moron.

(06-26-2020, 10:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Landmark Penn State study reveals that COVID cases are 80 times the reported number in the month of March. That metric drives death rate down to below seasonal flu levels.

https://news.psu.edu/story/623797/2020/0...originally

"The researchers found that the excess ILI (Influenza-Like Illness) showed a nearly perfect correlation with the spread of COVID-19 around the country.
Said Silverman, “This suggests that ILI data is capturing COVID cases, and there appears to be a much greater undiagnosed population than originally thought.”
Remarkably, the size of the observed surge of excess ILI corresponds to more than 8.7 million new cases during the last three weeks of March, compared to the roughly 100,000 cases that were officially reported during the same time period."

So...which is it? There were way more cases than we thought, so we've got it just this side of beat? Or the whole thing is overblown and was never really a problem in the first place? It's hard to tell when so many true facts contradict each other.

(06-26-2020, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Just wear a mask, people!

I learned at a very young age that you can't fix stupid. That is a fact.

[Image: nadler-1-e1591813566831.png]

[Image: EU_xULnX0AI99bO.jpg]

More or less. I think the end goal was to have social distancing in place to slow things down long enough to get a vaccine done, but the short term idea was definitely to keep hospitals from ending up like Italy.

(06-26-2020, 12:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Dr. Tony Fauchi has turned the entire country into cynics, with good reason. The government has botched stimulus payments. Landlords can't evict people right now. "Essential" large companies are burying small business. Virtual learning has been a complete disaster. Tony Fauchi has scared people into skipping routine tests that will likely kill them anyway.

It is a mess and people should be allowed to make their own calculated decisions on how they want to live their lives.

When one person's refusal to put a [BLEEP] piece of cloth over their face in public results in a disease being passed by them to someone else, who takes it home and passes it to another person that dies, well, their right to a calculated decision does not overrule someone else's right to not be dead.

Also, evictions are happening. Don't know about Florida, but lots of eviction notices went out for the first time in months not too long ago. Stimulus payments...yeah. When no one can explain where the money went, that's a problem. When $1.4B went to dead people, problem. Small businesses are failing for lots of reasons right now, but to boil that back to big businesses burying them...I'm not sure that's accurate. Not entirely so, anyway. I've not heard that virtual learning has been "a complete disaster". I know my pool of research is limited, but I have several friends and one extended family member who are teachers, and they all share the same experience: getting everything figured out sucked and there were lots of early growing pains, but after that was all sorted out, it went quite well.

(06-26-2020, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Just wear a mask, people!

Preach, Brother Biscuit!

(06-26-2020, 12:47 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 10:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Landmark Penn State study reveals that COVID cases are 80 times the reported number in the month of March. That metric drives death rate down to below seasonal flu levels.

https://news.psu.edu/story/623797/2020/0...originally

"The researchers found that the excess ILI (Influenza-Like Illness) showed a nearly perfect correlation with the spread of COVID-19 around the country.
Said Silverman, “This suggests that ILI data is capturing COVID cases, and there appears to be a much greater undiagnosed population than originally thought.”
Remarkably, the size of the observed surge of excess ILI corresponds to more than 8.7 million new cases during the last three weeks of March, compared to the roughly 100,000 cases that were officially reported during the same time period."

So...which is it? There were way more cases than we thought, so we've got it just this side of beat? Or the whole thing is overblown and was never really a problem in the first place? It's hard to tell when so many true facts contradict each other.

It's the flu. No matter how many people plead otherwise, it's the equivalent of a bad flu strain. 99.98% of the people who contract it will survive. It's a sickness but it's not the Plague. What terrifies me personally about this is that we've created a distrust in our expertise and institutions that will carry over to the next possible pandemic and if it's something truly horrific like Ebola then people are just going to ignore it and really suffer.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-26-2020, 01:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 12:47 PM)TJBender Wrote: So...which is it? There were way more cases than we thought, so we've got it just this side of beat? Or the whole thing is overblown and was never really a problem in the first place? It's hard to tell when so many true facts contradict each other.

It's the flu. No matter how many people plead otherwise, it's the equivalent of a bad flu strain. 99.98% of the people who contract it will survive. It's a sickness but it's not the Plague. What terrifies me personally about this is that we've created a distrust in our expertise and institutions that will carry over to the next possible pandemic and if it's something truly horrific like Ebola then people are just going to ignore it and really suffer.

Been my fear all along as well. And all in the name of POLITICS.

(06-26-2020, 01:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 12:47 PM)TJBender Wrote: So...which is it? There were way more cases than we thought, so we've got it just this side of beat? Or the whole thing is overblown and was never really a problem in the first place? It's hard to tell when so many true facts contradict each other.

It's the flu. No matter how many people plead otherwise, it's the equivalent of a bad flu strain. 99.98% 99.5% of the people who contract it will survive. It's a sickness but it's not the Plague. What terrifies me personally about this is that we've created a distrust in our expertise and institutions that will carry over to the next possible pandemic and if it's something truly horrific like Ebola then people are just going to ignore it and really suffer.

Known cases divided by known deaths works out to about 200, lately.
0.5% of the known cases are dying.
That's a death rate about five times worse than the flu.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-26-2020, 01:19 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 01:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's the flu. No matter how many people plead otherwise, it's the equivalent of a bad flu strain. 99.98% 99.5% of the people who contract it will survive. It's a sickness but it's not the Plague. What terrifies me personally about this is that we've created a distrust in our expertise and institutions that will carry over to the next possible pandemic and if it's something truly horrific like Ebola then people are just going to ignore it and really suffer.

Known cases divided by known deaths works out to about 200, lately.
0.5% of the known cases are dying.
That's a death rate about five times worse than the flu.

And as shown above, the number of known cases is understated by an amount that makes anything published to be completely worthless, especially when coupled with all the fraudulent attributions causing the actual CFR to be overstated. Bottom line is still the same, 99.98% survival rate.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

what happens when you add in record levels of pneumonia deaths?

Just so I am clear, protests are still ok?