Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Wearing masks today gives us the best chance of having fans in the stands in September. At this rate, NFL is being played in empty stadiums.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

TBH, why isnt there a mask sitting in my mailbox from the COJ?

(06-29-2020, 01:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 12:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/ChrisHongTU/status/1...02402?s=19

Let's see what the enforcement is. I bet they make it a health issue so they can then make the restaurants and businesses enforce it or they take away their license. That way the city and the cops stay out of enforcing it.

That's what they're trying to do here in NC. They want businesses to give a citation to customers, similar to a parking meter citation. Harris Teeter has already stated they encourage customers to wear them but will not enforce the mandate. Our county sheriff has also said his people will not enforce it either. Local PD hasn't weighed in.

(06-29-2020, 06:29 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 01:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Let's see what the enforcement is. I bet they make it a health issue so they can then make the restaurants and businesses enforce it or they take away their license. That way the city and the cops stay out of enforcing it.

That's what they're trying to do here in NC. They want businesses to give a citation to customers, similar to a parking meter citation. Harris Teeter has already stated they encourage customers to wear them but will not enforce the mandate. Our county sheriff has also said his people will not enforce it either. Local PD hasn't weighed in.

Meanwhile the Charlotte Observer already has one story about excessive force used by a deputy to arrest a non-conforming shopper.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

People wearing those masks made of cloth are stupid. A virus is so small that it will easily pass through the holes in the fabric. We should be wearing a scuba mask and oxygen tanks.

Interestingly Canada has made the list of 'Safe countries' from the EU but not the US in regards to travel from these countries.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020, 08:36 PM by MalabarJag.)

(06-29-2020, 07:09 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: People wearing those masks made of cloth are stupid.  A virus is so small that it will easily pass through the holes in the fabric.  We should be wearing a scuba mask and oxygen tanks.

Not a good argument. The water droplets the viruses are attached to are (mostly) stopped.

(06-29-2020, 05:47 PM)captivating Wrote: Wearing masks today gives us the best chance of having fans in the stands in September.  At this rate, NFL is being played in empty stadiums.

Everyone catching it in the next two weeks and it being over in a month is the best chance.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I don't anticipate attendance at any sporting event until a vaccine is approved. That's the only sure way the virus won't be spread.

I don't think it's a big deal. People need to stop being so sensitive. Personally, I think the virus is being blown out of proportion, but wearing a mask is a courtesy. I like the idea of governments asking businesses to restrict patronage to those wearing masks. You could offer an incentive for those that comply. Then, anyone refusing to do so is trespassing. Simple enough. Seems like quite the work around when it's not that hard to do. I plan to comply for a time. Oh, one more thing: the government should have clear goals when instituting a policy like this. For example, it would be easier to justify if they said mandatory mask use until the test to positive rate is less than 3%.

Well we did need a new disaster for July. Who had "swine flu"?

https://www.wate.com/news/pandemic-poten...-in-china/

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-29-2020, 08:45 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't think it's a big deal. People need to stop being so sensitive. Personally, I think the virus is being blown out of proportion, but wearing a mask is a courtesy. I like the idea of governments asking businesses to restrict patronage to those wearing masks. You could offer an incentive for those that comply. Then, anyone refusing to do so is trespassing. Simple enough. Seems like quite the work around when it's not that hard to do. I plan to comply for a time. Oh, one more thing: the government should have clear goals when instituting a policy like this. For example, it would be easier to justify if they said mandatory mask use until the test to positive rate is less than 3%.

I agree about the masks.  I don't think the virus is being "blown out of proportion", I mean, the excess deaths have been really high.  West Nile is blown out of proportion.  Swine Flu was blown out of proportion.  Hurricane Hermine was blown out of proportion.  But this virus is actually a big deal, IMO.  I mean, there have been overreactions, but mostly not.  We're not all destined to get infected with this virus, if we figure out a way to reduce its reproduction rate.  We need to try.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-29-2020, 08:45 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't think it's a big deal. People need to stop being so sensitive. Personally, I think the virus is being blown out of proportion, but wearing a mask is a courtesy. I like the idea of governments asking businesses to restrict patronage to those wearing masks.

Not wearing masks is a big deal.
People need to have a shred of [BLEEP] decency and wear a damn mask in public.  Personally I KNOW that 126,131 Americans are dead and acting like an adult instead of a [BLEEP] child right now MIGHT keep that number from topping 200K. 
I like the idea of giving a damn about someone other than myself.

My aunt and uncle are both in ICU right now in critical care. My uncle is on a ventilator and they can't get his fever down. They both thought the virus was a hoax and refused to wear masks.

(06-29-2020, 09:36 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Well we did need a new disaster for July. Who had "swine flu"?

https://www.wate.com/news/pandemic-poten...-in-china/

I had Meth Gators.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne-...story.html
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 12:46 AM by americus 2.0.)

(06-29-2020, 06:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 06:29 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: That's what they're trying to do here in NC. They want businesses to give a citation to customers, similar to a parking meter citation. Harris Teeter has already stated they encourage customers to wear them but will not enforce the mandate. Our county sheriff has also said his people will not enforce it either. Local PD hasn't weighed in.

Meanwhile the Charlotte Observer already has one story about excessive force used by a deputy to arrest a non-conforming shopper.

Oh yeah? I'll have to look that up. Law enforcement in my county feels the mandate is unconstitutional and our Lt. Gov is suing the state or governor because he has made unilateral decisions against our state constitution at every turn since this started.

(06-29-2020, 11:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 08:45 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't think it's a big deal. People need to stop being so sensitive. Personally, I think the virus is being blown out of proportion, but wearing a mask is a courtesy. I like the idea of governments asking businesses to restrict patronage to those wearing masks.

People need to have a shred of [BLEEP] decency and wear a damn mask in public.  Personally I KNOW that 126,131 Americans are dead and acting like an adult instead of a [BLEEP] child right now MIGHT keep that number from topping 200K. 

My aunt and uncle are both in ICU right now in critical care. My uncle is on a ventilator and they can't get his fever down. They both thought the virus was a hoax and refused to wear masks.

I'm sorry to hear that about your aunt and uncle. I pray they both recover.

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 12:54 AM by JagFan81.)

So masks are mandatory but there's no punishment or fine for not doing so? Who is supposed to enforce it?

Weve argued about masks since day 1. Scientists say they limit your chance of getting it but as its not 100% effective the government hasnt made them mandatory. So now you have to wear one on public transport but thats it. But its a £100 fine but no one is enforcing it. So a mess.

My partner made me a mask from old clothing. I was really against it to start with but i wear it in supermarkets and small stores. Weve had our first City go back into lockdown today.

One great idea weve had, we are reopening pubs and restaurants on Monday and as a way to track people they want them to take customers name and phone numbers so they can be contacted if they have to isolate. Im not giving the other half a chance to prove i was at the pub!!!

Sorry to hear friend. Hoping for the best.

Just wear a mask when out and about, folks. Don’t be a rube.

Although, you might want to approach bank lobbies with a measure of discretion.

Sorry to hear about your relatives, but I agree with everything in your post.

I make sure my family and I wear masks when entering any establishment.  Most of the places in town require it now anyway.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

I am not sure my point came across clearly. I don't think it's a big deal to be asked to wear a mask. And the sensitive part was directed at "liberty" conservatives. I do think the virus is being blown out of proportion, but that doesn't mean it's a hoax or that it's not a real threat. Sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle. I hope they recover.