Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

My buddy is also in the ICU, I don’t know why but he had a plasma transfer on Sunday said they’re also trying an experimental treatment due to it getting worse over the last 3 weeks since he was diagnosed. Both his daughters are recovered now and my other coworker is coming around never got as bad as him.

Seems like it’s very different person to person. I want no part of it for sure.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Vitamin D plays a role from what I've read. I have been trying to get mine up for the last month. Anything above 30 should help you fight of this virus. I was at 27 last time I checked it.

(06-30-2020, 03:35 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Vitamin D plays a role from what I've read. I have been trying to get mine up for the last month. Anything above 30 should help you fight of this virus. I was at 27 last time I checked it.

I try to get as much "natural vitamin D" as I can by being outdoors and giving myself limited exposure to the sun as much as I can (I also am a milk drinker).  I don't wear a mask in my daily activities since my activities don't meet the guidelines for a mask.  At my job I have a fairly large office that I spend most of my time in by myself.  If I have someone come in we can maintain more than 6 ft. of separation.  The only "public" place that I've been to in the last 3 months is a gas station.

People at my place of employment "freak out" because someone in our HUGE building happened to test positive.  They even brought in a team in full "hazmat gear" to clean/disinfect the restrooms.

Meanwhile I'll go about my daily routine and "get away" on the weekends like I normally do.  IF deaths increase and/or ICU's start getting overwhelmed then I might be concerned.  Right now "number of cases" or "number of positives" don't really mean a whole lot to me.

I do feel bad for those that have friends or loved ones in critical care.  However, I'm not going to let a Chinese virus stop me from living my life.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 07:33 PM by p_rushing.)

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but you can't make up all this stuff. Stuff starts opening back up, Democrats are complaining that people are protesting for their freedoms, saying how dare they, they will kill everyone, etc, then racism takes over for a few weeks and the Democrats shut their mouths on protesting and start actively supporting it. Now cases are spiking, Fauci is back now saying 100,000 cases per day are coming, its going to be terrible, etc. Now contact tracers are not allowed to ask about attending protests.

Was this all planned to shift it back to the virus and blaming Trump for opening things up?

What happened to all you Fauci haters?

It was all overblown no need to shut stuff down...

(06-30-2020, 07:43 PM)lastonealive Wrote: What happened to all you Fauci haters?

It is still very overblown.

(06-30-2020, 07:43 PM)lastonealive Wrote: What happened to all you Fauci haters?

It was and we didn't need to.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's overblown, almost certainly. That said, it is still a threat. Florida didn't have it's spike until about 10 days after the protests. It was starting to rise, but it wasn't above the threshold recommended by the WHO. I believe the resurgence was inevitable, either way, so I don't want to pretend that it was exclusively due to riots. I definitely think the bars should have stayed closed. Restaurants, too, probably. The problem that I don't feel like we are discussing, is how a nation this large could function if it was shutdown in its entirety.

I believe I posted this on this forum, but it was foolish to try to shut the whole nation down at once. Hindsight is 20/20, but there should have been a county by county shutdown order once the r value went above 1. This should have been done in waves as the virus spread throughout the nation. Open up once it's back below 1. Rinse an repeat until herd immunity was achieved. The problem with this is that so much is unknown about this virus still. Couple that with the overactive media coverage, and you get a citizenry that is afraid to even get the virus.

The other thing, I wish the people who are anti-Trump would acknowledge, is that the role the media has played in this epidemic is every bit as irresponsible as anything that can be attributed to Trump. The administration clearly has not handled this perfectly, so I don't really care to debate who was more reckless, but it would be nice to see us agree that the media is doing a terrible job of putting out real information that keeps us informed. This also directly plays a role in how Trump handles this problems (which it shouldn't, I agree). I get mad at Trump for every thing he tweets or says that is juvenile, but I don't think some of the posters here do the same with the media, either way.

(06-30-2020, 08:16 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It's overblown, almost certainly. That said, it is still a threat. Florida didn't have it's spike until about 10 days after the protests. It was starting to rise, but it wasn't above the threshold recommended by the WHO. I believe the resurgence was inevitable, either way, so I don't want to pretend that it was exclusively due to riots. I definitely think the bars should have stayed closed. Restaurants, too, probably. The problem that I don't feel like we are discussing, is how a nation this large could function if it was shutdown in its entirety.

I believe I posted this on this forum, but it was foolish to try to shut the whole nation down at once. Hindsight is 20/20, but there should have been a county by county shutdown order once the r value went above 1. This should have been done in waves as the virus spread throughout the nation. Open up once it's back below 1. Rinse an repeat until herd immunity was achieved. The problem with this is that so much is unknown about this virus still. Couple that with the overactive media coverage, and you get a citizenry that is afraid to even get the virus.

The other thing, I wish the people who are anti-Trump would acknowledge, is that the role the media has played in this epidemic is every bit as irresponsible as anything that can be attributed to Trump. The administration clearly has not handled this perfectly, so I don't really care to debate who was more reckless, but it would be nice to see us agree that the media is doing a terrible job of putting out real information that keeps us informed. This also directly plays a role in how Trump handles this problems (which it shouldn't, I agree). I get mad at Trump for every thing he tweets or says that is juvenile, but I don't think some of the posters here do the same with the media, either way.
Dude. All media sucks.

However, some media outlets get blamed for all the media’s problems. Fox sucks. CNN sucks. Every single one of them has no idea what real information is anymore. Some on this forum have FoxNews playing while scrolling through their Hannity tweets and take it as gospel. Same is true with whoever is on CNN at the time.

The only difference here is that the president is siding with one sucky media outlet and his followers believe him.

(06-30-2020, 08:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

It was and we didn't need to.

Get those bars open right? Who cares how many die.

(06-30-2020, 08:44 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 08:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It was and we didn't need to.

Get those bars open right? Who cares how many die.

Hows that death rate looking anyway?

Not great. Looks like Florida has been cooking the books a bit too judging by excess deaths.

Anyway I'm off to watch some sport live this weekend. A bit of early pain has huge economic advantage as well as health outcomes.

(06-30-2020, 08:16 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The other thing, I wish the people who are anti-Trump would acknowledge, is that the role the media has played in this epidemic is every bit as irresponsible as anything that can be attributed to Trump. The administration clearly has not handled this perfectly, so I don't really care to debate who was more reckless, but it would be nice to see us agree that the media is doing a terrible job of putting out real information that keeps us informed. This also directly plays a role in how Trump handles this problems (which it shouldn't, I agree). I get mad at Trump for every thing he tweets or says that is juvenile, but I don't think some of the posters here do the same with the media, either way.

The way they treat Cuomo is borderline sickening.  Even though it was early in the crisis, was pretty apparent even at that point sending sick patients to old folks homes was basically a death sentence.  And didnt think to start cleaning the subways until like a month and a half into it.  Brilliant. Yet he is lionized because he just sounds so "serious and commanding" during his press conferences while talking about all the people he killed.  Imagine if he was a Republican.  He would have been forced to step down.

(06-30-2020, 08:55 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not great. Looks like Florida has been cooking the books a bit too judging by excess deaths.

Anyway I'm off to watch some sport live this weekend. A bit of early pain has huge economic advantage as well as health outcomes.

We already know that the government has been overstating the death numbers, that's why we don't trust them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 10:41 PM by mal234.)

(06-29-2020, 05:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think the choice to wear a mask or not should be a personal choice, not something mandated by government at any level (local, state or federal).  Do I wear one?  Nope.  I choose to not do so because the only public place that I've been to since this whole thing started is a gas station.  At work I have my own office and people that enter it can talk to me at a "safe" distance.

I do think that this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, and I fault the media (both MSM as well as social) for this.  Just this morning on one of the local news stations that I read daily I counted 7 articles regarding the Wuhan virus.  Something that I noticed is the numbers of cases being breathlessly reported.  Just a couple of months ago it was the number of deaths that were blasted on the headlines.  Today not so much.

No reports of shortages of hospital beds, ventilators, PPE, etc.

Of course there are several more cases when there is more widespread testing.  What isn't reported is the number of deaths or even hospitalizations.  There is also no data on the "positive" cases that are asymptomatic or are able to fully recover by managing the symptoms at home.

The "closures", "lock-downs" and "mandates" being put in place is more political than practical in my opinion.  There is a certain segment of the population that is fine with the short-term damage to the economy as long as it hurts politically The President and his campaign for a second term.

The saddest part is the folks being used as political "pawns" through all of this are the ones that need to be working the most.  People that typically live "paycheck-to-paycheck" (as an example the service industry) are unable to earn their regular salary because of this.

By the way, no political party is immune to this political "game".  Both major parties are "playing" it.

I think that a lot of interesting points are being regarding this virus and things like mask wearing. I've been kind of in the middle on various issues regarding Covid-19. But here is some of my perspective on things including mask wearing.  A little over two months ago, I got a new job working for the federal government/military. It's mandated that I have to wear a mask during work, so I wear a mask like 42 hours a week for work + whenever I go into public places. I live in NC, and it's mandated here that we wear masks in public places and I was doing that even before the mandate. On average I probably wear a mask at least 45 hours a week in total. I think there are good, bad and even dangerous things about wearing masks.

The good is that I do believe they can help prevent the spread of the virus. But to what effect I'm not sure, especially if people aren't doing other things like social distancing and are not covering their cough/sneezes. I have been sneezed on/coughed on quite a bit, since I've started my job/wearing my masks. Interestingly, enough everyone has to wear masks at work, not just employees. I deal with a lot of Military personel/service members and they all have to wear masks. So does everyone else who comes into my workplace. That is the case with a lot of federal government/military facilities now. This rule went into effect before I started working at my new job. Though, even with the masks on I can still feel things like spittle, fluids, when people do stuff like cough/sneeze, laugh, etc... 

Which leads me to some of the bad things about wearing masks, especially for longer durations of time. A lot of people that I work with cough quite a bit, and they say that the masks are making them cough a lot. I think that the masks have also given some people a false sense of security and I have seen several people cough/sneeze right through the masks. They don't even attempt to sneeze into their elbow (which I believe is the right thing to do, regardless of whether people are wearing a mask or not.) I do wonder how effective the masks when all of this type of exposure is going on in a daily basis.  

Masks can also cause people to have fatigue, bad breath, acne, etc... There have been times since I started working where I have felt like my respiratory system is more tired due to wearing the masks for longer durations. I do believe they can tire people out and I have read accounts where they have actually made healthy people sick. I am healthy and I have felt tired due to wearing them for a longer period of time. I've gotten more used to them and getting a walk in fresh air after work helps, but I have felt the impact of wearing them long term. And I wonder what negative impact they may have on people especially since many of us aren't used to wearing them for longer periods of time. You have to adjust to breathing differently when you wear these things, especially longer term and that's difficult to do for a lot of people. Which leads me to a dangerous part of wearing masks, at least for some people:

They can cause some people to have extreme difficulty breathing and cause them to overheat/ fall out/collapse. A few weeks ago an elderly man came up to me at work, asking me if I could find him some cold water, and mentioned he was having a hard time breathing in the masks. I had went to find him a cold bottle of water, and once I handed it to him, he fell out. Thankfully, he ended up being okay, once he was able to take off the mask and drink some of the cold water. But him wearing the mask while he was in the building took it's toll on him. I talked with one of my bosses about that, and she said that people with health issues don't have to wear the masks. (And the elderly man did mention he had health issues).

Also, there are people that wear the masks incorrectly and sometimes try to sneak into places (even military service members who could get in trouble for doing that) without them. There will never be 100% participation from people regarding wearing masks/the proper way to wear them, etc... I can understand why people are pushing for people to wear them, but I did want to highlight some of the problems that can come with wearing them. And I do believe that people just have to do what they think is best for them/their loved ones. And not get into hysterics when they see someone not wearing a mask. Let alone confronting them in public places. People are just wasting their time doing stuff like that, and possibly risking more exposure.

It seems to me to that a lot of the people that are going into hysterics like that, are not even people who have to deal with high levels of exposure on a daily basis like many of us who are working outside of the home. Especially those of us who work in jobs that are deemed essential. I actually find some people's hysterical behavior very irritating. Especially those who don't do much of anything except for sit at home all day long posting on places like Twitter, panicking and not really being of much help/use to anyone. Especially to people who deal with high levels of exposure/risk.

I can understand people's concerns about this risk and I have sympathy for anyone who has lost a loved one, or has a loved one dealing with this illness. But I also agree that people are actually overreacting to some aspects of it, like some of the points you mentioned. But I talk more about that in other posts, since this one I just made about mask wearing is already pretty long, lol.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2020, 06:31 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-30-2020, 10:11 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 05:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think the choice to wear a mask or not should be a personal choice, not something mandated by government at any level (local, state or federal).  Do I wear one?  Nope.  I choose to not do so because the only public place that I've been to since this whole thing started is a gas station.  At work I have my own office and people that enter it can talk to me at a "safe" distance.

I do think that this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, and I fault the media (both MSM as well as social) for this.  Just this morning on one of the local news stations that I read daily I counted 7 articles regarding the Wuhan virus.  Something that I noticed is the numbers of cases being breathlessly reported.  Just a couple of months ago it was the number of deaths that were blasted on the headlines.  Today not so much.

No reports of shortages of hospital beds, ventilators, PPE, etc.

Of course there are several more cases when there is more widespread testing.  What isn't reported is the number of deaths or even hospitalizations.  There is also no data on the "positive" cases that are asymptomatic or are able to fully recover by managing the symptoms at home.

The "closures", "lock-downs" and "mandates" being put in place is more political than practical in my opinion.  There is a certain segment of the population that is fine with the short-term damage to the economy as long as it hurts politically The President and his campaign for a second term.

The saddest part is the folks being used as political "pawns" through all of this are the ones that need to be working the most.  People that typically live "paycheck-to-paycheck" (as an example the service industry) are unable to earn their regular salary because of this.

By the way, no political party is immune to this political "game".  Both major parties are "playing" it.

I think that a lot of interesting points are being regarding this virus and things like mask wearing. I've been kind of in the middle on various issues regarding Covid-19. But here is some of my perspective on things including mask wearing.  A little over two months ago, I got a new job working for the federal government/military. It's mandated that I have to wear a mask during work, so I wear a mask like 42 hours a week for work + whenever I go into public places. I live in NC, and it's mandated here that we wear masks in public places and I was doing that even before the mandate. On average I probably wear a mask at least 45 hours a week in total. I think there are good, bad and even dangerous things about wearing masks.

The good is that I do believe they can help prevent the spread of the virus. But to what effect I'm not sure, especially if people aren't doing other things like social distancing and are not covering their cough/sneezes. I have been sneezed on/coughed on quite a bit, since I've started my job/wearing my masks. Interestingly, enough everyone has to wear masks at work, not just employees. I deal with a lot of Military personel/service members and they all have to wear masks. So does everyone else who comes into my workplace. That is the case with a lot of federal government/military facilities now. This rule went into effect before I started working at my new job. Though, even with the masks on I can still feel things like spittle, fluids, when people do stuff like cough/sneeze, laugh, etc... 

Which leads me to some of the bad things about wearing masks, especially for longer durations of time. A lot of people that I work with cough quite a bit, and they say that the masks are making them cough a lot. I think that the masks have also given some people a false sense of security and I have seen several people cough/sneeze right through the masks. They don't even attempt to sneeze into their elbow (which I believe is the right thing to do, regardless of whether people are wearing a mask or not.) I do wonder how effective the masks when all of this type of exposure is going on in a daily basis.  

Masks can also cause people to have fatigue, bad breath, acne, etc... There have been times since I started working where I have felt like my respiratory system is more tired due to wearing the masks for longer durations. I do believe they can tire people out and I have read accounts where they have actually made healthy people sick. I am healthy and I have felt tired due to wearing them for a longer period of time. I've gotten more used to them and getting a walk in fresh air after work helps, but I have felt the impact of wearing them long term. And I wonder what negative impact they may have on people especially since many of us aren't used to wearing them for longer periods of time. You have to adjust to breathing differently when you wear these things, especially longer term and that's difficult to do for a lot of people. Which leads me to a dangerous part of wearing masks, at least for some people:

They can cause some people to have extreme difficulty breathing and cause them to overheat/ fall out/collapse. A few weeks ago an elderly man came up to me at work, asking me if I could find him some cold water, and mentioned he was having a hard time breathing in the masks. I had went to find him a cold bottle of water, and once I handed it to him, he fell out. Thankfully, he ended up being okay, once he was able to take off the mask and drink some of the cold water. But him wearing the mask while he was in the building took it's toll on him. I talked with one of my bosses about that, and she said that people with health issues don't have to wear the masks. (And the elderly man did mention he had health issues).

Also, there are people that wear the masks incorrectly and sometimes try to sneak into places (even military service members who could get in trouble for doing that) without them. There will never be 100% participation from people regarding wearing masks/the proper way to wear them, etc... I can understand why people are pushing for people to wear them, but I did want to highlight some of the problems that can come with wearing them. And I do believe that people just have to do what they think is best for them/their loved ones. And not get into hysterics when they see someone not wearing a mask. Let alone confronting them in public places. People are just wasting their time doing stuff like that, and possibly risking more exposure.

It seems to me to that a lot of the people that are going into hysterics like that, are not even people who have to deal with high levels of exposure on a daily basis like many of us who are working outside of the home. Especially those of us who work in jobs that are deemed essential. I actually find some people's hysterical behavior very irritating. Especially those who don't do much of anything except for sit at home all day long posting on places like Twitter, panicking and not really being of much help/use to anyone. Especially to people who deal with high levels of exposure/risk.

I can understand people's concerns about this risk and I have sympathy for anyone who has lost a loved one, or has a loved one dealing with this illness. But I also agree that people are actually overreacting to some aspects of it, like some of the points you mentioned. But I talk more about that in other posts, since this one I just made about mask wearing is already pretty long, lol.

Taiwan has 23 million people on an island 1/4 the size of Florida.  It is a crowded place.  They have extensive travel to and from mainland China.  They should have been a Covid-19 hot spot.  And yet, they have had a total of 7 deaths from Covid-19.  Why is that?  A large part of answer is, they make everyone wear a mask and they enforce it.  As a result, their economy, school system, and everything are completely reopened.  Kids are going to school, restaurants are open, it's all back to normal except for one thing- they all wear a mask. 

It seems like making everyone wear a mask is the cheapest and simplest way to get this virus under control without shutting down the economy.  The United States has spent 7 trillion dollars so far battling the economic effects of Covid-19, and now the virus seems to be out of control to the point where many states are reversing their plans to reopen, and the EU has barred travelers from the United States.  That is a record of dismal failure and it's a result of a lack of leadership from the President, who will not wear a mask, and will not tell people to wear a mask.  And the more the Democrats slam him for not wearing a mask, the less chance there is that he will wear one, because he doesn't want to look weak.  As a result, he's painting himself into a corner where he refuses to lead on the one way he can cheaply and effectively get this virus under control, reopen the economy, and get himself re-elected.  What an idiot.  

And about the death rate being down even though cases are up- the death rate lags behind the case rate.  Obviously, this is because it takes time for people who have been admitted to the hospital to die.  In addition, right now the increased cases are mostly young people who recover much better than older people.  But these young people could pass the virus to older relatives, causing the death rate could go back up.  So I think we might see the death rate going back up in a month or a month and a half.

What do the liberals have to say to supporting abortion, my body my choice? If it's my body, then I don't have to wear a mask if I choose, it is my choice and you can't stop it.

(07-01-2020, 03:48 PM)p_rushing Wrote: What do the liberals have to say to supporting abortion, my body my choice? If it's my body, then I don't have to wear a mask if I choose, it is my choice and you can't stop it.

Masks are clothing. Outside the body. Take them on and off every day.
Gestation is inside the body, takes place over 9 months.
These things aren't at all similar.
If the government can't require you to cover your nose and mouth, then it can't require you to cover your crotch either.  
Common sense dictates that the government can make you wear a mask.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Just in case you forgot, the simple truth is that all the stats you read are overstated. And yet here we are with people at each other's throats over this bull [BLEEP]. 

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020...-covid-19/

Gov. Ron DeSantis also said during a press conference that the total number of tests is reflected in the dashboard display.
“It’s not unique individuals, it’s total test,” he said.

State officials have said in recent weeks that increased testing has been at least part of the reason for a string of record-one day cases.
So how many people have been tested so far? That’s still not clear.

News4Jax emailed the Florida Department of Health asking the total number of people tested and the number of retest the state has done, but so far they have not sent us an answer.

(07-01-2020, 04:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Just in case you forgot, the simple truth is that all the stats you read are overstated. And yet here we are with people at each other's throats over this bull [BLEEP]. 

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020...-covid-19/

Gov. Ron DeSantis also said during a press conference that the total number of tests is reflected in the dashboard display.
“It’s not unique individuals, it’s total test,” he said.

State officials have said in recent weeks that increased testing has been at least part of the reason for a string of record-one day cases.
So how many people have been tested so far? That’s still not clear.

News4Jax emailed the Florida Department of Health asking the total number of people tested and the number of retest the state has done, but so far they have not sent us an answer.

If we're doing so great, how come the EU has banned Americans from travelling over there?  The United States, Brazil, and Russia, those are the only countries they have banned.