Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

My wife tested positive this week. She was symptomatic Thursday a week and a half ago and got tested last Sunday and got results Wednesday. I became symptomatic last Sunday but am not bothering to get tested. Our two young children have had fevers at various points this week as well. We’re just presuming we all have it which is probably a safe presumption.

It’s been relatively mild for me and our kids. My wife isn’t suffering too much, but has been nauseated, sniffly and very fatigued through out the week. I’ve dealt with some fatigue and chills myself.

Testing facility told my wife that the strain going around now isn’t as severe as what was going around earlier. Obviously things could change, and one or more of us could go downhill, but as I mentioned it has been relatively mild for us so far. As much as we were trying to avoid getting it, I’ll be happy to have already dealt with it once we get it behind us. I hope everyone else who gets it here has as mild of an experience as we’ve had so far.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-04-2020, 07:15 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: My wife tested positive this week.  She was symptomatic Thursday a week and a half ago and got tested last Sunday and got results Wednesday.  I became symptomatic last Sunday but am not bothering to get tested.  Our two young children have had fevers at various points this week as well.  We’re just presuming we all have it which is probably a safe presumption.  

It’s been relatively mild for me and our kids.  My wife isn’t suffering too much, but has been nauseated, sniffly and very fatigued through out the week.  I’ve dealt with some fatigue and chills myself.

Testing facility told my wife that the strain going around now isn’t as severe as what was going around earlier.  Obviously things could change, and one or more of us could go downhill, but as I mentioned it has been relatively mild for us so far.  As much as we were trying to avoid getting it, I’ll be happy to have already dealt with it once we get it behind us.  I hope everyone else who gets it here has as mild of an experience as we’ve had so far.

Hang in there, Jaguarmeister. Hoping you all experience only mild symptoms. 

Have you sought some advice from a doctor on dealing with the minor symptoms and doing what you can to support your immune system while it fights the virus?

(07-04-2020, 07:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 07:15 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: My wife tested positive this week.  She was symptomatic Thursday a week and a half ago and got tested last Sunday and got results Wednesday.  I became symptomatic last Sunday but am not bothering to get tested.  Our two young children have had fevers at various points this week as well.  We’re just presuming we all have it which is probably a safe presumption.  

It’s been relatively mild for me and our kids.  My wife isn’t suffering too much, but has been nauseated, sniffly and very fatigued through out the week.  I’ve dealt with some fatigue and chills myself.

Testing facility told my wife that the strain going around now isn’t as severe as what was going around earlier.  Obviously things could change, and one or more of us could go downhill, but as I mentioned it has been relatively mild for us so far.  As much as we were trying to avoid getting it, I’ll be happy to have already dealt with it once we get it behind us.  I hope everyone else who gets it here has as mild of an experience as we’ve had so far.

Hang in there, Jaguarmeister. Hoping you all experience only mild symptoms. 

Have you sought some advice from a doctor on dealing with the minor symptoms and doing what you can to support your immune system while it fights the virus?

Not specifically for this. My wife is an ER nurse so I usually just listen to her. She’s good friends with a few doctors. When she has a medical question she usually just sends a text to one of them.

Prior to my wife testing positive, I had been loading up on vitamin C regularly. Maybe that helped lessen the severity for me.

I’m not over it. I still feel something in my chest and I have to clear my throat often, but I feel relatively normal right now otherwise. Went swimming in the pool with my son earlier today for instance. He’s back to 100% after being out of commission for a day and half or so. He has more energy than my wife can deal with right now.

I have personally gone back and forth in my mind if I would rather get it now or later. What we are getting certainly seems more mild that what was gotten up north. This virus has behaved very oddly. It's almost like there are 2 strains (which was what Chinese scientists had originally reported). I would almost rather get what's going around now if it builds up immunity and deal with this sickness than to roll the dice on something that might be more severe later. Either way, it's speculation on my part.

Me and my mom are 99.9% sure she had this back in late January/early February. Looking back she had the signs and symptoms and what we would call a mildly moderate reaction. Of course at the time we didn't know about Covid so no testing was done but she's a retired nurse and is certain she had it when comparing her S&S and how she felt. Which means I was exposed several times, in close quarters, when I'd go visit with her, so either I got it too and was asymptomatic, or I'm naturally immune. 

I'm not going to test this theory and go into crowds without a mask right now, especially since my immune system is currently compromised due to an unrelated medical issue. Part of me wants to know if I had it by being tested for the antibody, but part of me just does not want to be in some system somewhere. I prefer staying on the down low. 

What would y'all do?

I got tested for the antibodies for similar reasons. Didn't have them.

(07-05-2020, 12:38 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Me and my mom are 99.9% sure she had this back in late January/early February. Looking back she had the signs and symptoms and what we would call a mildly moderate reaction. Of course at the time we didn't know about Covid so no testing was done but she's a retired nurse and is certain she had it when comparing her S&S and how she felt. Which means I was exposed several times, in close quarters, when I'd go visit with her, so either I got it too and was asymptomatic, or I'm naturally immune. 

I'm not going to test this theory and go into crowds without a mask right now, especially since my immune system is currently compromised due to an unrelated medical issue. Part of me wants to know if I had it by being tested for the antibody, but part of me just does not want to be in some system somewhere. I prefer staying on the down low. 

What would y'all do?

The antibody test isn't good enough right now and with it being so long ago, who knows if it will be accurate. My family had a mild cold that the older family members took 2-3 weeks to get over at the end of January and early February. 1 person got the antibody test and it was negative, but that was in June I think and it wasn't the t-cell test. If you need piece of mind, get the test but realize you can't trust it 100% even if it says you have the antibodies.

(07-05-2020, 12:38 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Me and my mom are 99.9% sure she had this back in late January/early February. Looking back she had the signs and symptoms and what we would call a mildly moderate reaction. Of course at the time we didn't know about Covid so no testing was done but she's a retired nurse and is certain she had it when comparing her S&S and how she felt. Which means I was exposed several times, in close quarters, when I'd go visit with her, so either I got it too and was asymptomatic, or I'm naturally immune. 

What would y'all do?

I was sick around the same time with the worst “Flu” I’ve ever had. Every symptom I had fit Rona to a T, right down to the loss of taste...which I’ve never experienced with any flu ever. I had the antibody test done Friday at Lot J and came back negative, but I’m wondering how accurate those tests are. 

As far as being in some system somewhere, weren’t you in the military? If so, you’re already in the system, so you might as well go find out if you have them. I really wanted to know cuz I’m O+ so if I also had the antibodies, my blood could have been useful for helping others.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

This virus is strange. Gabe’s wife had it yet his exposure to it didn’t register at all according to the tests he took. No viral or antibody positives. Maybe it requires a more sensitive or specific test to detect. (big shrug)

(07-05-2020, 08:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This virus is strange. Gabe’s wife had it yet his exposure to it didn’t register at all according to the tests he took. No viral or antibody positives. Maybe it requires a more sensitive or specific test to detect. (big shrug)

It's really not that strange, we just have little empirical evidence from legitimate studies to go on. The article below isn't the first to raise the question of testing accuracy but as the quality and volume of testing continues to increase the numbers continue to also increase. I've maintained for some time that the virus has infected far more people than known and it certainly seems to be playing out that way. Fortunately the more true positives we record the lower the CFR goes and the less it seems that Covid is the medical disaster we were told initially.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ne...m-n1214981
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-05-2020, 01:28 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

What would y'all do?

I was sick around the same time with the worst “Flu” I’ve ever had. Every symptom I had fit Rona to a T, right down to the loss of taste...which I’ve never experienced with any flu ever. I had the antibody test done Friday at Lot J and came back negative, but I’m wondering how accurate those tests are. 

As far as being in some system somewhere, weren’t you in the military? If so, you’re already in the system, so you might as well go find out if you have them. I really wanted to know cuz I’m O+ so if I also had the antibodies, my blood could have been useful for helping others.

I am in the federal system for being in the Army, yes, but that was in the early to mid 90s and they didn't take the information then that they would now simply because there was no need for it. Medically they know my blood type, the vaccines they gave me and what my medical records had in them then. That's all they need to know about me.

(07-05-2020, 09:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 08:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This virus is strange. Gabe’s wife had it yet his exposure to it didn’t register at all according to the tests he took. No viral or antibody positives. Maybe it requires a more sensitive or specific test to detect. (big shrug)

It's really not that strange, we just have little empirical evidence from legitimate studies to go on. The article below isn't the first to raise the question of testing accuracy but as the quality and volume of testing continues to increase the numbers continue to also increase. I've maintained for some time that the virus has infected far more people than known and it certainly seems to be playing out that way. Fortunately the more true positives we record the lower the CFR goes and the less it seems that Covid is the medical disaster we were told initially.

Hospitals in New York were overwhelmed leading to rationing of care.
Hospitals in Houston were nearly overwhelmed, and people had to be transported far away from Houston to avoid rationing of care.
Now hospitals in Brownsville and McHenry are similarly overwhelmed.
Flu season does not do this to our hospitals.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-05-2020, 12:41 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 09:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's really not that strange, we just have little empirical evidence from legitimate studies to go on. The article below isn't the first to raise the question of testing accuracy but as the quality and volume of testing continues to increase the numbers continue to also increase. I've maintained for some time that the virus has infected far more people than known and it certainly seems to be playing out that way. Fortunately the more true positives we record the lower the CFR goes and the less it seems that Covid is the medical disaster we were told initially.

Hospitals in New York were overwhelmed leading to rationing of care.
Hospitals in Houston were nearly overwhelmed, and people had to be transported far away from Houston to avoid rationing of care.

You're better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWGYacdbqCE

When you delay elective surgeries for months, there happen to be a lot of people who need them.  They are testing all of them and many of them are testing positive with mild or no symptoms.  They are getting counted in the covid hospitalization totals despite getting treatment for something different.  Just small details.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2020, 01:24 PM by mikesez.)

(07-05-2020, 01:10 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 12:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: Hospitals in New York were overwhelmed leading to rationing of care.

You're better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWGYacdbqCE

When you delay elective surgeries for months, there happen to be a lot of people who need them.  They are testing all of them and many of them are testing positive with mild or no symptoms.  They are getting counted in the covid hospitalization totals despite getting treatment for something different.  Just small details.

That's a plausible allegation, but I don't see any numbers behind it.
an elective surgery that's already been delayed once can be delayed again, if there are a lot of covid patients.
The point is there *are* a lot of covid patients.
They would never schedule so many elective surgeries that the hospital gets overwhelmed. It's the emergent cases that are overwhelming the hospital, not the elective cases.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-05-2020, 03:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/...92833?s=19

Austin. The Berkeley of Texas.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-29-2020, 05:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think the choice to wear a mask or not should be a personal choice, not something mandated by government at any level (local, state or federal).  Do I wear one?  Nope.  I choose to not do so because the only public place that I've been to since this whole thing started is a gas station.  At work I have my own office and people that enter it can talk to me at a "safe" distance.

I do think that this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, and I fault the media (both MSM as well as social) for this.  Just this morning on one of the local news stations that I read daily I counted 7 articles regarding the Wuhan virus.  Something that I noticed is the numbers of cases being breathlessly reported.  Just a couple of months ago it was the number of deaths that were blasted on the headlines.  Today not so much.

No reports of shortages of hospital beds, ventilators, PPE, etc.

Of course there are several more cases when there is more widespread testing.  What isn't reported is the number of deaths or even hospitalizations.  There is also no data on the "positive" cases that are asymptomatic or are able to fully recover by managing the symptoms at home.

The "closures", "lock-downs" and "mandates" being put in place is more political than practical in my opinion.  There is a certain segment of the population that is fine with the short-term damage to the economy as long as it hurts politically The President and his campaign for a second term.

The saddest part is the folks being used as political "pawns" through all of this are the ones that need to be working the most.  People that typically live "paycheck-to-paycheck" (as an example the service industry) are unable to earn their regular salary because of this.

By the way, no political party is immune to this political "game".  Both major parties are "playing" it.
Post of the year!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2020, 06:55 PM by RicoTx.)

How [BLEEP] difficult is it to understand.  If you don't do it for yourself, do it for your fellow human beings.  [BLEEP] selfish pricks.  I don't like it but I'm doing it.  Oh, I know, it's onlu old people you're killing.  What the [BLEEP].  Fortunately 95% of the people I'm seeing in the airport have a lick of sense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/me...le-n392431

From this article:

The importance of these findings is that a drop in oxygen levels (hypoxia) is associated with an impairment in immunity. Studies have shown that hypoxia can inhibit the type of main immune cells used to fight viral infections called the CD4+ T-lymphocyte.

This occurs because the hypoxia increases the level of a compound called hypoxia inducible factor-1 (HIF-1), which inhibits T-lymphocytes and stimulates a powerful immune inhibitor cell called the Tregs. . This sets the stage for contracting any infection, including COVID-19 and making the consequences of that infection much graver. In essence, your mask may very well put you at an increased risk of infections and if so, having a much worse outcome.