Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2020, 09:39 AM by KingIngram052787.)

The CEO of UF Health spoke with the governor yesterday and said that their specific hospital systems in Jax, Gainesville and central Florida are not close to being out of capacity. He said that people see 90% full and think that's bad but in reality they're normally almost at 100%. He said that they can pull different triggers, like stopping elective surgeries if they need to like they did prior to create even more capacity and then went on to say he thought they could probably handle roughly 10X what wave 1 was without having to be very worried.

That's just their hospital systems, so it doesn't speak for everyone and, obviously, South Florida has been hit harder than anywhere in the state, so things could be different at certain hospitals there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In our status call Monday we were told by the CMO that Duval County has 18 Covid related ICU admissions with fewer than 5 requiring a vent and that we have excess capacity for admissions, ICU beds and ventilators to cover all but most dire scenarios We're doing just fine.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Hey all, my brain is slowly turning into mulch.

So on Saturday, pubs and hairdressers were allowed to reopen. Weve dropped the 2m social distancing down to 1m+ (no one knows what that means) and the UK government have been awful but theyve come up with what they think is a smart idea.

Were going to stop testing, only count postive result deaths in hospitals, stop releasing figures and stoping daily briefing and if you just stop looking for the virus, it magically goes away!!

We didn't install quarantine for people entering the country until Mid June but we just announced 59 countries exempt!  Wallbash Wallbash

Hope your all good.

(07-07-2020, 07:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 05:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What source would you believe?

Disney is opening.  The NBA is relaunching. There is a presidential election in 4 months with an incumbent the media hates.

I trust my instincts Marty. My instincts. We are being lied to.

The POTUS before whom you kneel in supplication lies to you on a daily basis. You should be used to it.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(07-07-2020, 11:06 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Hey all, my brain is slowly turning into mulch.

So on Saturday, pubs and hairdressers were allowed to reopen. Weve dropped the 2m social distancing down to 1m+ (no one knows what that means) and the UK government have been awful but theyve come up with what they think is a smart idea.

Were going to stop testing, only count postive result deaths in hospitals, stop releasing figures and stoping daily briefing and if you just stop looking for the virus, it magically goes away!!

We didn't install quarantine for people entering the country until Mid June but we just announced 59 countries exempt!  Wallbash Wallbash

Hope your all good.

Boris might be related to Trump somehow.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Well my symptoms have developed further. It was only in my chest last week, but has since moved into my nose and throat and I’ve lost the ability to taste much of anything as of yesterday. I’m a little fatigued but not so much that I can’t do my job from home as I’ve been doing.

I’m getting tested tomorrow. I already know I have it. The purpose of getting tested at this point is to be able to get hydroxychloroquine if this thing lingers and I feel I need to. I’m not one to rush to take medicine so I probably won’t reach that point.

(07-07-2020, 01:57 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Well my symptoms have developed further.  It was only in my chest last week, but has since moved into my nose and throat and I’ve lost the ability to taste much of anything as of yesterday.  I’m a little fatigued but not so much that I can’t do my job from home as I’ve been doing.

I’m getting tested tomorrow.  I already know I have it.  The purpose of getting tested at this point is to be able to get hydroxychloroquine if this thing lingers and I feel I need to.  I’m not one to rush to take medicine so I probably won’t reach that point.

It's good to have the meds and you may want to consider taking them. I have been reading about the many ways this thing presents in each patient and it's crazy how different folks react to it. 

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita both had it but had completely different symptoms. Atlanta's mayor and her husband both have it now and both have very different symptoms. A Broadway actor who was 41 years old and healthy got it and went downhill extremely fast, spent three months in the hospital on a vent and was in a coma, lost a leg to sepsis and was going to need to a double lung transplant and he just died over the weekend. But a 75 year old woman has few symptoms. 

If you feel yourself starting to fail quickly definitely take the meds....or don't wait and use them as prevention if that's how they work.

(07-06-2020, 07:59 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 02:47 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: It seems we agree on N95 masks then.  As far as cloth masks, my sister-in-law complained of lightheadedness from a cloth mask in less than two hours of wear and some of the accounts of fatigue and passing out on here I believe are also from cloth masks, but those posters would have to clarify.

I'm more concerned about the people who have to wear them for prolonged periods at work because it is mandated.  Here is another study on N95 masks on pregnant women.  It showed metabolism was increased.  The body had to work harder to maintain oxygen level in the blood.  Why have I heard so many stories of people complaining of fatigue from wearing cloth masks?  This might explain it.

Conclusions: Breathing through N95 mask materials have been shown to impede gaseous exchange and impose an additional workload on the metabolic system of pregnant healthcare workers, and this needs to be taken into consideration in guidelines for respirator use. The benefits of using N95 mask to prevent serious emerging infectious diseases should be weighed against potential respiratory consequences associated with extended N95 respirator usage.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26579222/

Here is another interesting tidbit:

Very little good quality research exists on the use of cloth masks, especially in non-medical settings. One randomised controlled clinical trial of cloth masks, published in BMJ Open in 2015, compared their effectiveness with that of medical masks worn by hospital healthcare workers.2 The study, involving the industry partner 3M (which makes medical masks), reported that healthcare workers “should not use cloth masks as protection against respiratory infection. Cloth masks resulted in significantly higher rates of infection than medical masks, and also performed worse than the control arm.”

Cloth masks certainly wouldn't be as bad as N95 masks, but even a small negative effect would have a cumulative effect.  And the less they impeded breathing, the less effective they are anyways.  It goes both ways.

I have a mask that has a n95 filter inside, but also has one way valves. It is a lot better than those stupid cloth or surgical masks. I can barely breathe in those because of the hot air being trapped. With my mask, the valves expel the air and I'm able to breathe. If I was heavily working out it would still be a problem but just walking around is fine. Masks definitely are problems but if you can get one with valves, try that out.

My biggest issue is the one sized fits all decisions that are not made in a democratic way and do not discuss the downsides to any given decision.  Genuine discussion of pros and cons seems to be ignored, much like with the lockdown.  I do appreciate the suggestion though, I might have to look into it if I'm in a situation where I have to have a mask.  In the meantime, I'm adhering to social distancing out of respect for others.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020, 12:59 AM by jagfan0728.)

(07-07-2020, 01:57 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Well my symptoms have developed further.  It was only in my chest last week, but has since moved into my nose and throat and I’ve lost the ability to taste much of anything as of yesterday.  I’m a little fatigued but not so much that I can’t do my job from home as I’ve been doing.

I’m getting tested tomorrow.  I already know I have it.  The purpose of getting tested at this point is to be able to get hydroxychloroquine if this thing lingers and I feel I need to.  I’m not one to rush to take medicine so I probably won’t reach that point.

You may already know this, but if you do decide you need to take it, you may want to take it with zinc as this doctor points out.  According to him, it may not have the same efficacy without zinc. Not medical advice by any means, just a heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVs_EWVCVPc

(07-08-2020, 12:57 AM)jagfan0728 Wrote:

You may already know this, but if you do decide you need to take it, you may want to take it with zinc as this doctor points out.  According to him, it may not have the same efficacy without zinc.  Not medical advice by any means, just a heads up.

This is going to present an access problem now that the FDA has removed it's authorization to use HCQ to treat Covid.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-07-2020, 12:49 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 11:06 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Hey all, my brain is slowly turning into mulch.

Hope your all good.

Boris might be related to Trump somehow.

The modern day Batman and Robin eh?!!!

The last 2 weeks has been weird. Opening nearly everything back up and you can do what you like, as long as you do it safely.

So now youve got to pick between 'its all overblown' or 'a paranoid fairy'.

(07-08-2020, 09:08 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 12:57 AM)jagfan0728 Wrote: You may already know this, but if you do decide you need to take it, you may want to take it with zinc as this doctor points out.  According to him, it may not have the same efficacy without zinc.  Not medical advice by any means, just a heads up.

This is going to present an access problem now that the FDA has removed it's authorization to use HCQ to treat Covid.

Yeah, it's sickening how HCQ has been politicized like when Detroit congresswoman Karen Whitsett credits the president, the local congress votes unanimously to censure her.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l...025907001/

I'm all for treatments that are by many accounts effective with little short term risk and that take the fear out of having covid.

The state of FL now has 900 available ICU beds in its hospitals out of 5,300 beds in total.

https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/vi...%3Aembed=y

(07-09-2020, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The state of FL now has 900 available ICU beds in its hospitals out of 5,300 beds in total.

Can someone answer me how?  If positive test are up, fatalities are down, hospitalizations are down how are there no beds in ICU?  The data is being manipulated and a healthy dose of skepticism could do a lot of good for both sides.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-09-2020, 12:10 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The state of FL now has 900 available ICU beds in its hospitals out of 5,300 beds in total.

Can someone answer me how?  If positive test are up, fatalities are down, hospitalizations are down how are there no beds in ICU?  The data is being manipulated and a healthy dose of skepticism could do a lot of good for both sides.

Where are you getting info that hospitalizations are down in FL? 
DeSantis has gag-ordered that information. 

hint: it's not down, it's up

https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-...ate-2020-7

If our hospitals and ICU's are supposedly struggling THIS badly with what most would consider a minor pandemic, can you imagine if something catastrophic hit this country?

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 12:37 PM by KingIngram052787.)

I assume this information isn't available, but do we know which of those are COVID related and what the average capacity is during normal times? The CEO of UF Health made it sound like being at 83% capacity was actually low, but I don't recall if he meant hospitalizations or ICU capacity, or both to some extent.

(07-09-2020, 12:29 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If our hospitals and ICU's are supposedly struggling THIS badly with what most would consider a minor pandemic, can you imagine if something catastrophic hit this country?

What's your point?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Don't fall for his feint! He already knows your point, and is just baiting you, bro. Don't you know?

(07-09-2020, 12:29 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If our hospitals and ICU's are supposedly struggling THIS badly with what most would consider a minor pandemic, can you imagine if something catastrophic hit this country?

My girlfriend is a scientist working for the military on COVID treatments.  And she tells me that yes, this is in fact the military's greatest concern-- our susceptibility to bioterrorism.

Although many would argue that this qualifies as something major, despite what you may think.