Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How does the Ngakoue situation play out?
This poll is closed.
Ngakoue gets traded before the season starts
15.82%
25 15.82%
Ngakoue gets traded after the season starts but doesn't play for Jags prior
15.19%
24 15.19%
Ngakoue plays for Jags until being traded prior to deadline
12.66%
20 12.66%
Ngakoue signs a long term deal to and plays for the Jags
6.96%
11 6.96%
Ngakoue plays for the Jags on the tag this year
35.44%
56 35.44%
blank #2
3.16%
5 3.16%
corn
10.76%
17 10.76%
Total 158 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Yannick Ngakoue (threads merged)

(07-16-2020, 09:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 08:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Follow the Jalen Ramsey path. No wait, take it a step further and insult the owners family on Twitter they said. They will give you what you want Yanny.

A rational person would climb down from this high and mighty position of principle and do the rational thing.  It's hard to understand.

I'm going to sound like the get off my lawn guy now but there aren't too many rational 25 year olds out there these days lol

I mean in pro sports there has always been hold outs and stuff like that but in the most recent 5-10 seasons, it's gotten uglier and uglier with a lot of crybaby, pouting, take my ball and go home type attitudes coming out with these younger guys.
Dead set on getting what they want "or else".

I say call them on it every time. Billionaire owners got nothing to lose. There's always another draft class with another crop of pass rushers, running backs, wide receivers, etc...
The only position I'd even consider caving on demands to would be QB and he better be closer to Wilson or Mahomes than Prescott or Cousins.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-16-2020, 09:49 AM)Kane Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 09:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: A rational person would climb down from this high and mighty position of principle and do the rational thing.  It's hard to understand.

I'm going to sound like the get off my lawn guy now but there aren't too many rational 25 year olds out there these days lol

I mean in pro sports there has always been hold outs and stuff like that but in the most recent 5-10 seasons, it's gotten uglier and uglier with a lot of crybaby, pouting, take my ball and go home type attitudes coming out with these younger guys.

I say call them on it every time. Billionaire owners got nothing to lose. There's always another draft class with another crop of pass rushers, running backs, wide receivers, etc...
The only position I'd even consider caving on demands to would be QB and he better be closer to Wilson or Mahomes than Prescott or Cousins.
Being 25 and being irrational isn’t a new phenomenon. 

You’re only seeing and hearing it more often because technology has grown exponentially in the last 10-15 years.

(07-16-2020, 09:49 AM)Kane Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 09:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: A rational person would climb down from this high and mighty position of principle and do the rational thing.  It's hard to understand.

Yan will really double down on stupid if he decides to not sign the franchise tag and make $17M in what's likely a shortened season. If he doesn't record double digit sacks, he can attribute it to not being at his best due to the holdout, the shortened season, etc. By playing this season, he won't ever have Tony Khan brokering his future.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(07-16-2020, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 09:49 AM)Kane Wrote: I'm going to sound like the get off my lawn guy now but there aren't too many rational 25 year olds out there these days lol

Being 25 and being irrational isn’t a new phenomenon. 

You’re only seeing and hearing it more often because technology has grown exponentially in the last 10-15 years.

Psssh... I wasn't irrational at 25
Cool Laughing Ninja

Trade Him and get future assets in the form of draft picks.

This would help us tank for Trevor or at least get a very high draft pick (for extra bargaining power).

No Fans or Limited Fans this year so it's not like Khan is going to lose more $$ than other owners.  If we're going to suck, this is the perfect year to do so (unlike the other 9 of the past 10 years when sucking was more depressing)

(07-15-2020, 05:33 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 05:29 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Wanting something isn't realistic when there is a CBA in place. There are rules you have to follow. He tried to fight the rules because of principle and now he is finding out how stupid he is.

He lost $17 million last year and now appears he is going to lose the tag money this year. What deal is going to make up for all that money he lost? No team is going to pay him $30 million more than anyone else to make up for the money he lost.

Why are you getting stuck on a contract figure as if that was the sole reason this deal didn't happen? If they had offered him a 3 year deal worth 19 million per year with a good chunk of guarantees then I'd be all over him.

Players want guarantees in their contracts to protect against injuries. We don't know how much was guaranteed, but the rumor is that there wasn't enough.

It really doesn't matter what the guaranteed amount was.

No contract means $2 guaranteed and the Jags tag him this year.
Signed contract means way more than $2 million guaranteed, $17 million more last season, roughly the same amount this season if he plays

The only year where he could lose money would be in year 3 and at most that would have been $5 million.

(07-16-2020, 05:10 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 05:33 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: Why are you getting stuck on a contract figure as if that was the sole reason this deal didn't happen? If they had offered him a 3 year deal worth 19 million per year with a good chunk of guarantees then I'd be all over him.

Players want guarantees in their contracts to protect against injuries. We don't know how much was guaranteed, but the rumor is that there wasn't enough.

It really doesn't matter what the guaranteed amount was.

Signed contract means way more than $2 million guaranteed, $17 million more last season, roughly the same amount this season if he plays

The only year where he could lose money would be in year 3 and at most that would have been $5 million.

You're making the assumption that the contract would have kicked in last season.  Wentz's extension that he signed last year doesn't kick in until 2021, Mahomes big extension doesn't kick in until 2022.  If they didn't offer him a new contract, and instead an extension on his existing rookie contract, he wouldn't be out any money to this point and would help explain his declining of the contract and dissatisfaction with the FO.

(07-16-2020, 09:15 PM)empty Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 05:10 PM)p_rushing Wrote: It really doesn't matter what the guaranteed amount was.

You're making the assumption that the contract would have kicked in last season.  Wentz's extension that he signed last year doesn't kick in until 2021, Mahomes big extension doesn't kick in until 2022.  If they didn't offer him a new contract, and instead an extension on his existing rookie contract, he wouldn't be out any money to this point and would help explain his declining of the contract and dissatisfaction with the FO.

The contract would have started last season. The Jags wanted to sign him early to get a discount on the total value. He would have gotten a lot more money and then still been able to sign a huge deal steal in his prime and 1 more deal after that if he stayed healthy. He didn't want to give a discount because they were willing to sign him 1 year early, he wanted to be paid the value he thinks he is worth no matter what. He either doesn't understand how the CBA works or he doesn't care.

I would take the equivalent of the 50th pick and the 72nd pick. That's a mid-2nd and a mid-3rd. If we got that, we would have a boatload of draft picks in the next draft.

(07-17-2020, 09:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I would take the equivalent of the 50th pick and the 72nd pick.  That's a mid-2nd and a mid-3rd.  If we got that, we would have a boatload of draft picks in the next draft.

Well, I guess it's good that you aren't in charge then.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

this is perfect for Yannick

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1284...43937?s=19

He’s donating chrome books to kids in his home county. Great move.

(07-17-2020, 05:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: this is perfect for Yannick

I don't think that would be good for Yannick, because the Jaguars would be able to put the first year franchise tag back on him next year.  All he would accomplish is getting a year older.

(07-21-2020, 09:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I don't think that would be good for Yannick, because the Jaguars would be able to put the first year franchise tag back on him next year.  All he would accomplish is getting a year older.

Yeah, the rumor I heard most recently is that Owners are trying to make it so that all opt out's just postpone this years contract to next year. So, Yan would be in the same boat next year and a year older.

On top of that, the NFL wants a policy that they will only give a stipend if a players qualifies as high risk and then opts out. If he doesn't, he basically doesn't get paid this year at all.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2020, 08:34 AM by JackCity.)

(07-21-2020, 09:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Sitting out without monetary fines is perfect for a holdout. Especially when they can still trade him

(07-22-2020, 02:35 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 09:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think that would be good for Yannick, because the Jaguars would be able to put the first year franchise tag back on him next year.  All he would accomplish is getting a year older.

Yeah, the rumor I heard most recently is that Owners are trying to make it so that all opt out's just postpone this years contract to next year. So, Yan would be in the same boat next year and a year older.

On top of that, the NFL wants a policy that they will only give a stipend if a players qualifies as high risk and then opts out. If he doesn't, he basically doesn't get paid this year at all.

Yeah they won't get that policy enacted

I think the Jets getting 2 first round picks from Seattle for Jamaal Adams should strengthen the case for the Jaguars getting the same type of deal for Ngakoue.

1) It shows the Ramsey trade was not a fluke.
2) Adams does not play a premium position like Ngakoue does.
3) Adams is demanding a new deal just like Ngakoue.

This deal also shows that teams are willing to give up a lot for what they see as a difference-making player.

(07-26-2020, 05:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think the Jets getting 2 first round picks from Seattle for Jamaal Adams should strengthen the case for the Jaguars getting the same type of deal for Ngakoue.    

This deal also shows that teams are willing to give up a lot for what they see as a difference-making player.

So what does the lack of a deal tell you about how other team see Yan as a difference maker then?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-26-2020, 07:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 05:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think the Jets getting 2 first round picks from Seattle for Jamaal Adams should strengthen the case for the Jaguars getting the same type of deal for Ngakoue.    

So what does the lack of a deal tell you about how other team see Yan as a difference maker then?

I don't know.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(07-26-2020, 09:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 07:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So what does the lack of a deal tell you about how other team see Yan as a difference maker then?

I don't know.

It seems pretty clear to me that no other team values Yan as much as the Jags do, and the amount they value him is nowhere near what he thinks he's worth.