Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(08-09-2020, 02:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: If we had the world that our founders promised us, all members of Congress would resist the president expanding his prerogatives, regardless of party affiliation.
James Madison did not think we were very virtuous, and we have turned out to be less virtuous than he estimated.

I would be all for stopping expanding powers, but Trump really didn't do anything. Congress refused to do anything, like normal, so Trump made a show and put the ball back in their court. They can either accept the hand slap and actually put political parties aside and help people or they can continue their fighting to include a bunch of pork in the deal and Trump will claim he did something when they wouldn't. Then if they sue or don't want to pay the 25%, Trump has them over a barrel because of their refusal to do their job.

What is different is Trump is the first president willing to push back against the bs democrat games that they play. Most of the republicans never do anything about it, so they can't handle it when some plays their games and does it better than they do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-08-2020, 04:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 03:21 PM)copycat Wrote: Speaking of Tango you are dancing now.  Obama started his presidency with an EO and a beer garden.  The man is every bit the narcissist that Trump is with two HUGE exceptions.  He is eloquent and he had the press on his side.  I do not think history will be kind to the Obama administration.  Correct me if I am wrong but what legislation did he get through by reaching across the isle?  Any?  Everything was by EO which is why Trump has been able to undo nearly every single policy with his own EO.  And please bring up Bush’s number of EO’s.  I beg you.

All of the important legislation he got through was before January 2011 when Republicans took over.
Everything after that was just a stalemate.  
The Republican leaders in Congress were determined to never compromise, because they believed that, while everyone's reputation would be helped by a compromise, Obama would get helped more than them, and would win in 2012 the way Clinton had won in 1996. As Mitch McConnell said, "our number one goal is to make Obama a one-term president."
Even though the plan didn't work, the thought process set in and remained for the rest of Obama's term. Rubio and the rest of the Republicans in the Senate tried to break the dam in 2013 with their immigration reform bill, but the House was stuck on stupid. There was nothing Obama could have done to bring them to the table in a serious manner.

So he was only to pass legislation without an EO when he had Dem majorities in congress?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

President Trump is playing the democraps like a fiddle.  It's kind of fun to watch.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-09-2020, 04:19 PM)copycat Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 04:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: All of the important legislation he got through was before January 2011 when Republicans took over.
Everything after that was just a stalemate.  
The Republican leaders in Congress were determined to never compromise, because they believed that, while everyone's reputation would be helped by a compromise, Obama would get helped more than them, and would win in 2012 the way Clinton had won in 1996. As Mitch McConnell said, "our number one goal is to make Obama a one-term president."
Even though the plan didn't work, the thought process set in and remained for the rest of Obama's term. Rubio and the rest of the Republicans in the Senate tried to break the dam in 2013 with their immigration reform bill, but the House was stuck on stupid. There was nothing Obama could have done to bring them to the table in a serious manner.

So he was only able to pass legislation without an EO when he had Dem majorities in congress?

Basically, yes.
You could give him all the blame for that, but, in my opinion, it takes two to tango.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Well CNN just opened a legal can of worms. Saw a commercial saying a mask stops the spread of covid and it isn't a political statement. The mask shown was the crappy masks with folds that you can buy at a gas station.

So we know masks don't stop the spread, they may assist but they do not stop the spread because the masks are not the correct type of masks. Can I sue CNN for false advertising and whatever else? I used a N95 mask and still got it.

(08-08-2020, 02:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 02:46 PM)copycat Wrote: Interesting point.  How would DJT have handled this without opposition at every turn?  Heck it doesn’t even have to be favorable cooperation from the left.  I wonder how different things might be if it were just neutral opposition as opposed to open hostility.

A good leader's actions do not depend on the motives of his enemy, only the actions of his enemy.
And a good president is always looking to reconcile with his political enemies, for the good of the country, especially during a crisis.

(08-09-2020, 05:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 04:19 PM)copycat Wrote: So he was only able to pass legislation without an EO when he had Dem majorities in congress?

Basically, yes.
You could give him all the blame for that, but, in my opinion, it takes two to tango.

I’ll just leave your own words right here for you to reconsider and reconcile.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(08-09-2020, 06:49 PM)copycat Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 02:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: A good leader's actions do not depend on the motives of his enemy, only the actions of his enemy.
And a good president is always looking to reconcile with his political enemies, for the good of the country, especially during a crisis.

(08-09-2020, 05:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: Basically, yes.

I’ll just leave your own words right here for you to reconsider and reconcile.

We can never know for sure if Obama was a good leader.  It is obvious that history cursed him with bad partners, and it takes two to tango.  We know that he offered the Republicans things in good faith.  He continued to try to deal with them.  He didn't insult them. Now, it could be that everything he offered was bad and needed to be opposed.  It doesn't matter how nice and sincere you are if your ideas are bad.  But when the Republicans got their turn, they had the White House and Congress, all they got done was a tax cut.  They didn't get anything done on health care or on the environment or on tariffs or education or anything else.  The petty squabbles continued - same as before, except, Republican vs. Republican. Seems to say the problem was them, not Obama.

(08-09-2020, 09:28 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 06:49 PM)copycat Wrote: I’ll just leave your own words right here for you to reconsider and reconcile.

We can never know for sure if Obama was a good leader.  It is obvious that history cursed him with bad partners, and it takes two to tango.  We know that he offered the Republicans things in good faith.  He continued to try to deal with them.  He didn't insult them. Now, it could be that everything he offered was bad and needed to be opposed.  It doesn't matter how nice and sincere you are if your ideas are bad.  But when the Republicans got their turn, they had the White House and Congress, all they got done was a tax cut.  They didn't get anything done on health care or on the environment or on tariffs or education or anything else.  The petty squabbles continued - same as before, except, Republican vs. Republican. Seems to say the problem was them, not Obama.

Nah we know Obama was a terrible leader and an evil man

(08-10-2020, 01:53 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 09:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: We can never know for sure if Obama was a good leader.  It is obvious that history cursed him with bad partners, and it takes two to tango.  We know that he offered the Republicans things in good faith.  He continued to try to deal with them.  He didn't insult them. Now, it could be that everything he offered was bad and needed to be opposed.  It doesn't matter how nice and sincere you are if your ideas are bad.  But when the Republicans got their turn, they had the White House and Congress, all they got done was a tax cut.  They didn't get anything done on health care or on the environment or on tariffs or education or anything else.  The petty squabbles continued - same as before, except, Republican vs. Republican. Seems to say the problem was them, not Obama.

Nah we know Obama was a terrible leader and an evil man

Sarcasm? Or did he steal your girlfriend?  Wink

(08-10-2020, 01:53 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nah we know Obama was a terrible leader and an evil man

One of the very few correct statements you have ever made in this section of the board.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-10-2020, 08:40 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 01:53 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nah we know Obama was a terrible leader and an evil man

One of the very few correct statements you have ever made in this section of the board.

Oh, so he stole *your* girlfriend.  Sorry for being confused.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020, 10:41 AM by Jagwired.)

(08-10-2020, 09:53 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 08:40 AM)Jagwired Wrote: One of the very few correct statements you have ever made in this section of the board.

Buuuhwaaahaahaa!!! Laughing Laughing You should just stick to naivety and copying/pasting Wiki knowledge. Your smack talk game is weak as all hell.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Pelosi ready to talk....

Man, Trump has so many of you gaslit. The Dems are the ones who refuse to get this done? McConnell has how many bills on his desk again that he refuses to bring to a vote?

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020, 11:26 AM by p_rushing.)

(08-10-2020, 09:53 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 08:40 AM)Jagwired Wrote: One of the very few correct statements you have ever made in this section of the board.

come on you know he wasn't stealing anyone's girlfriend

(08-10-2020, 10:41 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 09:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: Oh, so he stole *your* girlfriend.  Sorry for being confused.

Buuuhwaaahaahaa!!! Laughing Laughing You should just stick to naivety and copying/pasting Wiki knowledge. Your smack talk game is  weak as all hell.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

(08-10-2020, 11:20 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Man, Trump has so many of you gaslit. The Dems are the ones who refuse to get this done?  McConnell has how many bills on his desk again that he refuses to bring to a vote?

Here's an agreement between us where you give me everything you own and I blame you for not giving me everything I want. Ready to sign?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Russia have a vaccine.

(08-11-2020, 06:27 AM)captivating Wrote: Russia have a vaccine.

Which is being met with high skepticism by the scientific community. Apparently they haven't released the manuals and the books for everyone to read.

Oh wait, did I just ruin a Trump/America bad moment? Sorry.

(08-11-2020, 06:27 AM)captivating Wrote: Russia have a vaccine.

We volunteer you to take it first.