Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(08-12-2020, 12:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 11:44 AM)mikesez Wrote: Did she print 2 + 2 = 5 in the New York times?
She didn't.
You take a few internet trolls seriously, and yet you think people like me, who are actually trying to point to you to the most influential and powerful voices, are the trolls.

Lol, havent you heard? Math is racist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatla...le/524199/

From the article:

"But she’s also constrained by the institutional aspects of whiteness in her classroom that exist outside her teaching methods—not simply the how of teaching, but what the state standards value. She and her students share a culture that isn’t reflected in the way she’s expected to teach math. Required to rely on what she calls a “western white lens,” other sources of math knowledge that would be relevant to her students remain untapped. “What are the theorems that we have known here in America before colonization? What indigenous mathematicians have we had? We’re not a written society, so we don't have these books that say, ‘Here’s this Ojibwe person’s knowledge.’ It’s not the fact that I’m teaching this theorem … it’s what else can we highlight in our own community, in our own history here in Minnesota?”"

Sounds like an excuse to teach math with low expectations.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-12-2020, 11:44 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 11:08 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I rarely go on twitter, you twit. These are actual cultural trends. You need to know what is coming out of academia. The progressive left has adopted the principles of deconstructionism, and it's only a matter of time before deconstruction of math becomes mainstream. Two months ago, I never thought our society would ever consider defunding the police, even though I've known it's been a goal of radical Marxists since the 60's. Literally 6 months ago, some scholars I follow started talking about deconstructionism in science. I didn't believe that even the social justice movement would try to attack such and important institution, if for no other reason than to avoid doing harm to themselves. So naïve of me. Yet it is also becoming increasingly commonplace. Did you think scientific institutions would replace women with "people with a cervix?" Without a vocal, large contingent of people pushing against these trends, it will continue. You can't just wave your hand and pretend these things don't exist.

For the record, I don't have to follow your parameters. I don't care if you cited a press secretary who was appealing to Trump's HUGE ego (in response to a media that is just as arrogant). I am talking about academic trends that are destructive and becoming mainstream. But, since you bring it up, you act like Nicole Hannah Jones is a nobody. She's an extremely influential person at arguably the most prestigious newspaper in the world. Learn something for once.

Did she print 2 + 2 = 5 in the New York times?
She didn't.
You take a few internet trolls seriously, and yet you think people like me, who are actually trying to point to you to the most influential and powerful voices, are the trolls.

The point, you dolt, is that the movement is creating influencers who will be changing the paradigm. How do you miss that, yet respond so confidently? I don't care if they aren't the press secretary. I don't care if they aren't holding political office. I am pointing the the shifting trends, and you're ignoring it all because of where you are at currently. 

I hate to use analogies (since you can't even understand direct arguments), but you are like a dude that is strapping into a roller coaster and telling your friend not to worry because you're currently only 3 feet off the ground and the car isn't moving. It doesn't matter if your friend points to the obvious track that leads you to the top, or the instances of the other cars that have been moving. I could literally make a Monty Python type of sketch with your backwards way of thinking. 

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]

It's time to stop with the masks and the draconian rules that government is making.

At first it was "wash your hands and don't touch your face".

Next it was "social distancing".

Then it was shutting down business as usual to "slow the spread" so that hospitals didn't get overwhelmed.  You know, the shortage of ventilators and all.

Now it's "you MUST wear a mask" anywhere away from your home or face prosecution.

I say let all businesses open up as usual and let consumers decide what they want to do.  Make wearing a mask a CHOICE rather than a MANDATE.  Most people don't wear a proper protective mask or wear/use it correctly anyway.  It's all become a "statement".  It's gotten to the point where masks have become a "fashion accessory" more than anything.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-12-2020, 02:01 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 11:44 AM)mikesez Wrote: Did she print 2 + 2 = 5 in the New York times?
She didn't.

The point, you dolt, is that the movement is creating influencers who will be changing the paradigm. How do you miss that, yet respond so confidently? I don't care if they aren't the press secretary. I don't care if they aren't holding political office. I am pointing the the shifting trends, and you're ignoring it all because of where you are at currently. 

I hate to use analogies (since you can't even understand direct arguments), but you are like a dude that is strapping into a roller coaster and telling your friend not to worry because you're currently only 3 feet off the ground and the car isn't moving. It doesn't matter if your friend points to the obvious track that leads you to the top, or the instances of the other cars that have been moving. I could literally make a Monty Python type of sketch with your backwards way of thinking. 

If you had that quality of observable evidence, I would listen.
You have speculation.
"This professor guy who has 10,000 Twitter followers and is voting for Biden implied that discussing racial animosities is going to unlock the potential for the workers to seize the means of production"

"Okay, so what?"

"obviously if we vote for Biden, the workers are going to seize is the means of production"

"Actually, no, that doesn't follow."

"Look this guy is a college professor of sociology and he's voting for Biden so he's clearly the vanguard, he clearly knows what he's talking about, this is a sure as a roller coaster going along it's track." 

"Does Biden even know this guy? Has Biden read any of his stuff?"

"It's like you're not listening! This guy is influential.  I know social science academia and you don't."

"Does Biden know social science academia?"

"Ugh I'm going to write a Month Python style skit about this!"

"You already did."
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-12-2020, 04:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It's time to stop with the masks and the draconian rules that government is making.

Then it was shutting down business as usual to "slow the spread" so that hospitals didn't get overwhelmed.  You know, the shortage of ventilators and all.

Now it's "you MUST wear a mask" anywhere away from your home or face prosecution.

I say let all businesses open up as usual and let consumers decide what they want to do.  Make wearing a mask a CHOICE rather than a MANDATE.  Most people don't wear a proper protective mask or wear/use it correctly anyway.  It's all become a "statement".  It's gotten to the point where masks have become a "fashion accessory" more than anything.

why does this public safety measure need to be a choice but you (presumably) follow other mandates to a tee

(08-12-2020, 04:36 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 04:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It's time to stop with the masks and the draconian rules that government is making.

why does this public safety measure need to be a choice but you (presumably) follow other mandates to a tee

This has nothing to do with "public safety".  People are fine to choose whether or not they want to go to a gym, a bar, a store, etc. and choose whatever "protective" measures they FEEL is better for them.  We don't need nanny government to TELL us.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-12-2020, 04:40 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 04:36 PM)JackCity Wrote: why does this public safety measure need to be a choice but you (presumably) follow other mandates to a tee

This has nothing to do with "public safety".  People are fine to choose whether or not they want to go to a gym, a bar, a store, etc. and choose whatever "protective" measures they FEEL is better for them.  We don't need nanny government to TELL us.

Again, the contagion is multiplicative.  The cautious person's chances of getting it increase exponentially, the less cautious we let the incautious people be.

Kids had a great 1st day back in the physical classroom. Glad things are back to normal.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020, 05:36 PM by mal234.)

They do keep moving the sticks and getting more and more restrictive/demanding. And none of the stuff they are suggesting has eradicated the virus. Even though some people particularly the ones that like to live in fear, believe it would be like gone by now if "everyone had just followed these rules". (Though I don't think that would be the case, though cases/deaths would probably be reduced). I do believe that doing things like wearing masks are beneficial (though uncomfortable if constantly worn for long periods of time), but they aren't completely getting rid of the virus either.

Like places like California where the governor has been very strict. And has been demanding/requiring people do things like masks for a while now but still have a high level of cases. And the state of NC where I live, which has had an increase in cases, though our governor has been one of the more stricter governors. And he was one that started shutting things down early here. We still have gyms/bars/bowling alleys etc... closed here and a little while ago he extended that order for another five more weeks. 

It seems like some people just think the answer to everything is to be in constant fear by cancelling stuff and being extremely strict. But I don't think that is the best way to handle things. Especially just trying to cancel everything. A big problem I see with people who want to do that is that they are refusing to try and find a way to live with the virus, (which is what we should be doing, because it's not going away anytime soon, especially since we are such a large/active country where people are constantly being mobile. People refusing to try and figure out how to live with the virus is causing a lot of harm/damage to a lot of other things like the economy. The type of damage that is being done, is affects people in many ways and is also a threat to people's health.  But some people are letting their extreme fear of coronavirus impact their judgment and that's also hurting a lot of people. (in addition to the damage that the virus itself has done to people).

(08-12-2020, 05:29 PM)mal234 Wrote:

They do keep moving the sticks and getting more and more restrictive/demanding. And none of the stuff they are suggesting has eradicated the virus. Even though some people particularly the ones that like to live in fear, believe it would be like gone by now if "everyone had just followed these rules". (Though I don't think that would be the case, though cases/deaths would probably be reduced). I do believe that doing things like wearing masks are beneficial (though uncomfortable if constantly worn for long periods of time), but they aren't completely getting rid of the virus either.

Like places like California where the governor has been very strict. And has been demanding/requiring people do things like masks for a while now but still have a high level of cases. And the state of NC where I live, which has had an increase in cases, though our governor has been one of the more stricter governors. And he was one that started shutting things down early here. We still have gyms/bars/bowling alleys etc... closed here and a little while ago he extended that order for another five more weeks. 

It seems like some people just think the answer to everything is to be in constant fear by cancelling stuff and being extremely strict. But I don't think that is the best way to handle things. Especially just trying to cancel everything. A big problem I see with people who want to do that is that they are refusing to try and find a way to live with the virus, (which is what we should be doing, because it's not going away anytime soon, especially since we are such a large/active country where people are constantly being mobile. People refusing to try and figure out how to live with the virus is causing a lot of harm/damage to a lot of other things like the economy. The type of damage that is being done, is affects people in many ways and is also a threat to people's health.  But some people are letting their extreme fear of coronavirus impact their judgment and that's also hurting a lot of people. (in addition to the damage that the virus itself has done to people).

The thing is, all of the "precautions" that we took were to "slow down" the spread of the virus because hospitals would be overwhelmed and we had a shortage of ventilators.  We did that.

The China virus is not going away no matter what.  Masks do little to nothing to help matters other than to make people "feel" safe.  Just watch people.  Most don't wear the mask correctly, many are constantly touching it, pulling it down when they can't breathe or to be clear when they speak, etc.  It's a false sense of "security".

I don't have a problem if someone wants to wear a mask to make themselves "feel better" or "safer".  What I have a problem with is government mandating masks and punishing people for choosing to not wear one.  I have a problem with government punishing businesses for trying to operate as normal.

This was never supposed to be about stopping the China virus, it was supposed to be about slowing the spread.  If you watch the news, it's already spread out and is "everywhere".

It's nothing more than a different strain of the flu.

(08-12-2020, 04:40 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 04:36 PM)JackCity Wrote: why does this public safety measure need to be a choice but you (presumably) follow other mandates to a tee

The only reason for the masks are public safety. So again I was wondering why do you willingly let the nanny state enforce other public safety laws on you?

It seems like there's a chance that the seriousness of the virus can be reduced by the amount you are exposed to it. So, if you sit with a person for 15 minutes while they are contagious, you might not get as sick as if you sat with them for 30 minutes. This is a theory based on a few different studies, as well as data that is collected from different cruises (comparing those with masks to those without). It would seem that masks, while not completely restricting the virus, do seem to reduce exposure frequency to those around you. I think it is in our best interest to wear masks, not for ourselves, but for others.

With that in mind, I have no problems with state and local governments (and businesses, for that matter), mandating masks. I don't think it should be a federal order, because it doesn't make sense for everyone in a nation this big to wear masks at all times. I think citizens do themselves a disservice by trying to contain a virus in a nation this big. However, when it comes to local mask use, once a place has become a hotspot, it does make sense for cities (or even states) to temporarily implement the order. This problem could definitely be made better if authorities would give goals. For example, if the spread is R>1, no masks. If it increases above 1, wear masks until it's back to .5. Those are arbitrary numbers, but having goals and communicating that with the public would go a long way towards building trust with our politicians and scientific expertise. As it stands, it's like we're shooting in the dark.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020, 09:10 PM by mal234.)

(08-12-2020, 06:58 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is, all of the "precautions" that we took were to "slow down" the spread of the virus because hospitals would be overwhelmed and we had a shortage of ventilators.  We did that.

The China virus is not going away no matter what.  Masks do little to nothing to help matters other than to make people "feel" safe.  Just watch people.  Most don't wear the mask correctly, many are constantly touching it, pulling it down when they can't breathe or to be clear when they speak, etc.  It's a false sense of "security".

I don't have a problem if someone wants to wear a mask to make themselves "feel better" or "safer".  What I have a problem with is government mandating masks and punishing people for choosing to not wear one.  I have a problem with government punishing businesses for trying to operate as normal.

This was never supposed to be about stopping the China virus, it was supposed to be about slowing the spread.  If you watch the news, it's already spread out and is "everywhere".

It's nothing more than a different strain of the flu.

(08-12-2020, 07:48 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It seems like there's a chance that the seriousness of the virus can be reduced by the amount you are exposed to it. So, if you sit with a person for 15 minutes while they are contagious, you might not get as sick as if you sat with them for 30 minutes. This is a theory based on a few different studies, as well as data that is collected from different cruises (comparing those with masks to those without). It would seem that masks, while not completely restricting the virus, do seem to reduce exposure frequency to those around you. I think it is in our best interest to wear masks, not for ourselves, but for others.

With that in mind, I have no problems with state and local governments (and businesses, for that matter), mandating masks. I don't think it should be a federal order, because it doesn't make sense for everyone in a nation this big to wear masks at all times. I think citizens do themselves a disservice by trying to contain a virus in a nation this big. However, when it comes to local mask use, once a place has become a hotspot, it does make sense for cities (or even states) to temporarily implement the order. This problem could definitely be made better if authorities would give goals. For example, if the spread is R>1, no masks. If it increases above 1, wear masks until it's back to .5. Those are arbitrary numbers, but having goals and communicating that with the public would go a long way towards building trust with our politicians and scientific expertise. As it stands, it's like we're shooting in the dark.

I've been wearing masks (largely due to being required to do at work) since about mid April. My co-workers have been doing the same, so has everyone that come into my workplace. My employer (the military/federal government) has been requiring face covering since then.

Recently I found out a few people in the workplace contracted COVID-19. And that they had severe symptoms (fevers, chills, etc..) My job has a lot of exposure, we deal/interact with a lot of military personnel/, service members. But two of the people that recently contracted COVID pretty much worked independently and didn't interact with that many people. A lot of times they haven't really interacted with much people at all and one of them usually stays in their office and is hardly around anyone.

Yet, they both contracted severe cases of COVID and had to miss several days of work. I think that one of them still hasn't come back to work. Even though we've been wearing masks since April (before most people have been required to do so/really started doing so in this country). We also do temperature checks and health questionnairres every day we go to work. And even though both of them really haven't interacted with much people compared to myself and several other co-workers who interact with a whole bunch of people.  (And I do wonder if maybe they caught it outside of work.)

Masks can be effective and I think a lot of times they are, but I also think you can never can tell what may happen regarding this illness. I think it's one of those things that a lot of people are just going to get regardless of what they do/precautions they take. (And I am hearing more stories about people who have stayed at home, taken precautions still getting COVID-19) Which is one big reason why I think that people have to learn to live with this illness instead of just trying to shut everything down. Because people can still catch it and will still catch it, regardless of how much stuff some people including those who constantly live in fear try and shut down. 

Also, I want to add that it's really important for people to try and take care of themselves. I think that people doing their best to strengthen their immune system is very important. Especially if they work at a high exposure job. I try to get in the sunshine when I can (and it does make me feel better especially after a day of dealing with a lot of people) as well as eat properly. Granted people can still get the virus if they do these things (and possibly severe cases) but do I think that can play a big role in helping protect people from the virus or at least help them deal with less harsh effects if they do contract the virus. 

Also, here is an article from sports journalist Bill Plaschke who talks about contracting the virus even though he did "just about everything right" for four months. He said he stayed in the house, let his daughter shop for him/didn't really go anywhere, but still came down with a case of COVID-19, that had included some of the more severe symptoms. He did mention he had a couple of "socially distanced" dinners with friends a little while ago and thinks he caught the virus there. But I wonder if he even caught the virus there and maybe somehow contracted it somewhere else.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/202...experience

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020, 10:18 PM by mikesez.)

(08-12-2020, 07:48 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It seems like there's a chance that the seriousness of the virus can be reduced by the amount you are exposed to it. So, if you sit with a person for 15 minutes while they are contagious, you might not get as sick as if you sat with them for 30 minutes. This is a theory based on a few different studies, as well as data that is collected from different cruises (comparing those with masks to those without). It would seem that masks, while not completely restricting the virus, do seem to reduce exposure frequency to those around you. I think it is in our best interest to wear masks, not for ourselves, but for others.

Those are really logical thoughts, but we just never will have high quality data about the local value of R0 at a given time, until way later.
I think it's best to just have one message nationwide about masks.
There is a big risk that people will get tired of wearing masks, and of course there's the risks of people who refuse to see the reason of it. The message I would give is that you should either wear a mask all the time, or have it ready to put on before you get within 6 ft of somebody. and I would suppress and ridicule stories about how careful you have to be with your mask and everything. I've seen stories telling people to carefully put it in a plastic bag and wash their hands after they put it on and after they take it off. It's not that this isn't good advice, it's that it's exactly the type of advice that makes all of this seem way too complicated and not worth doing to average people. Save the good advice for medical professionals. Let the General public have poor mask habits so long as they at least wear something most of the time when they need it

It's not way later. Not with the amount of testing we are doing. You can see an uptick in cases almost immediately. We can see the hot spots moving around the nation, and it would be wise to fight the virus that way until we achieve herd immunity. This whole thing is overblown, and, I'm grateful for that. Quite frankly, this has been one giant stain on our "expertise."

(08-12-2020, 07:18 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 04:40 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: This has nothing to do with "public safety".  People are fine to choose whether or not they want to go to a gym, a bar, a store, etc. and choose whatever "protective" measures they FEEL is better for them.  We don't need nanny government to TELL us.

The only reason for the masks are public safety. So again I was wondering why do you willingly let the nanny state enforce other public safety laws on you?

I agree with you, that's why I dont obey speed limits, wear seat belts, or use turn signals when driving.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 10:19 AM by JackCity.)

(08-13-2020, 09:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 07:18 PM)JackCity Wrote: The only reason for the masks are public safety. So again I was wondering why do you willingly let the nanny state enforce other public safety laws on you?

I agree with you, that's why I dont obey speed limits, wear seat belts, or use turn signals when driving.

Cool. there's consequences for all of those things legally so you are proving my point

Do you drink drive? And if so do you feel the police should have any punishment for drink drivers?

(08-13-2020, 10:19 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 09:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I agree with you, that's why I dont obey speed limits, wear seat belts, or use turn signals when driving.

Cool. there's consequences for all of those things legally so you are proving my point

Do you drink drive? And if so do you feel the police should have any punishment for drink drivers?

Sure, those are laws written and passed by our legislatures and I take my chances knowing that. Mask mandates are not laws, they are dictates that I refuse to acknowledge and our courts are starting to catch up to that fact and overturn the citations as local governments start trying to turn mask "violations" into revenue streams.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

BE SURE TO STAY SAFE ON YOUR CONFERENCE CALL... even if you are at home alone.

DNR tells employees to wear masks during Zoom calls, even when they are alone at home

(08-13-2020, 10:45 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: BE SURE TO STAY SAFE ON YOUR CONFERENCE CALL... even if you are at home alone.

DNR tells employees to wear masks during Zoom calls, even when they are alone at home

Don't forget about during sex too.

You can't fix stupid.