Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Default Training Camp Thread 2020

I think I just heard on 1010 that they will practice.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020, 12:22 PM by Firesky.)

(08-26-2020, 11:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 11:05 PM)Firesky Wrote: Learning how to be physical can be taught; if you remember even Ramsey struggled against the bigger more physical receivers his rookie year (Alshon Jeffrey in the first half of the Bears game abused him; but he made adjustments and had a game sealing play) it wasn't until Ramsey's 2nd year that he was more of a complete player and could cover receivers of all types.

The drill where Henderson got beat (1 on 1 offball with no passrush) is heavily skewed/favored for the offense. The same drill in TC back in 2017 Allen Robinson beat Ramsey a few times, but idt anyone thinks that factoring in a pass rush, press coverage being allowed, and the existence of safeties in an actual game that Robinson would consistently beat Ramsey or that Cole would consistently beat Henderson.

To OlineMatters point about his tackling, CB is the one position on defense that being a stellar tackler isn't a necessity, Rashean Mathis was a below average tackler all things considered but was a truly fantastic corner for us for a decade. Tackling can be taught, and I would venture to guess that a lot of surefire 1st round picks on teams without NC aspirations aren't all that zealous about throwing themselves into the fray knowing an injury could cost them draft spots and a significant amount of $$$. I agree that his tackling isn't amazing but it's the one "wart" in his game that's entirely teachable. I think the backend of the top 10 was a perfect spot to take him.

I think we'll be pleased with Henderson's development by the end of the year. When I look at him I see a young Rashean Mathis and i'll take that every time, looking forward to him covering TY Hilton week 1

Rashean Mathis was at least a willing tackler though. Henderson seems to try and shy away from contact in the games I saw. As far as teaching tackling, yes, it can be taught, but look at our 2019 team. As a team, our tackling was atrocious! It was by far, our weakest area. We had missed tackles, right and left in every game. It was ridiculous! Do you trust our current coaching staff to improve this kid's tackling? I certainly don't. By the looks of what I saw from our team last season, I don't even know if they teach the basics of tackling. Maybe if we get some competent coaching, Henderson can improve his tackling. At least I hope he can, but we'll have to wait until at least 2021 to see if that is the case.

I think in the NFL he'll be a willing tackler. His last year at UF (Junior) he battled an ankle injury which may have played a role, especially not wanting to aggravate it and cost him draft position/money. Almost every scouting report and draft profile on him said some version of these sentiments:

"As a junior, his tendencies were completely flipped as a tackler. After showing plenty of interest in the physical portions of the game during his first two seasons, he looked completely disinterested in tackling in 2019"

The tape from his first 2 seasons shows a more physical player and a WILLING tackler. It's not that he "can't" do it since he put it on film during his Sophomore year. I think (rightly or wrongly) that given that he was playing on a hurt ankle at less than 100% that he didn't want to do anything that would cost him long term knowing he was declaring for the draft.

As far as the coaching staff and being able to teach them, I don't know enough about Tim Walton (1st year DB coach) to tell; i'm not overly thrilled with the coaching staff, especially Wash, who should've been shown the door long ago. But I really think bad tackling is an epidemic across the league and stems from the new CBA putting severe limits on padded practices and how much contact you can have. 

Tackling aside, CJ Henderson has all the athletic traits you look for and in college the kid could cover the best Wideouts in the NCAA. I think he has a high celing and there's a lot to like but I understand your concerns, and I totally understand wanting an OT in the top 10 as I agree the team didn't do enough to address it this offseason.

Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020, 03:49 PM by mal234. Edit Reason: Removed political content )

Speaking of practice local reporters said CJ had a better day and Chiasson was beat multiple times. Chiasson is still trying to find his footing after missing some practice time. Him and Josh Allen did combine to get a half sack on Gardner. I like that Josh is mentoring him.

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...6661006336

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...2034242561

I know sometimes it's a thin line but keep to the topic of Jaguars football in the Jaguars forum. If you want to make political posts, do it in the political forum.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Looks like the team will be streaming the scrimmage tomorrow live on the website. 9.40am est.

(08-28-2020, 06:15 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Looks like the team will be streaming the scrimmage tomorrow live on the website. 9.40am est.

Nice.

Carylon, et al seemed to think this scrimmage will be harder hitting than most and has the effect of being the 3rd preseason game.  They said basically it's the last big shot at making a roster spot.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

The next Tom Brady?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jay-gruden-...12634.html

(08-29-2020, 09:56 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: The next Tom Brady?

Jay and some of the local free reporters have been speaking very well of Jake Luton. They say he is smart and has talent. Gardner also praised him as well. 

It sounds like he might could beat out Dobbs and Glennon as the #2 behind Gardner. It would be nice if the Jags found another six round gem.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2020, 05:05 AM by The Real Marty.)

(08-29-2020, 10:01 AM)mal234 Wrote:

Jay and some of the local free reporters have been speaking very well of Jake Luton. They say he is smart and has talent. Gardner also praised him as well. 

It sounds like he might could beat out Dobbs and Glennon as the #2 behind Gardner. It would be nice if the Jags found another six round gem.

I don't think he'll beat out Glennon right away, because usually coaches like to have a backup with some experience.  But I think he will definitely make the roster as the 3rd QB.  I don't think they'll risk putting him on the practice squad.

I read a post-draft scouting report on him, and the only reported problem was that he did not do well when he faces a pass rush.  So we will have to see eventually, is he a late round steal or another Blaine Gabbert, with all the physical traits you want in a QB, and who practices really well, but not so hot in live game situations.

While the thought of that is exciting, part of me wished the media would not do that to him.

Brady got to develop in peace and obscurity before he became Brady.

Luton does not need to be called "the next Brady" while he's just a rookie, even if he has performed well.

Besides, given how bad our defense has looked all camp (based  on reports anyway), we have to take his success with a grain of salt.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

So basically we have drafted the next Drew Brees in Gardener Minchew and the next Tom Brady in Jake Louton in the 6th round of the last 2 drafts.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Hays Carlyon is all about Luton, but Mike Dirocco says Josh Dobbs over Luton. I'll take my chances with Luton. If Dobbs got cut I think we could sign him off street again if needed.

(08-29-2020, 10:01 AM)mal234 Wrote:

I actually liked Luton in college. He played very well for being on a bad football team. He only had 3 bad games last season and two of them were against ranked teams. He's big, has a decent arm, is pretty accurate and the thing he excels at most, is not turning the ball over. He makes really good reads. Personally, since there is no chance of us being in contention this season, I say make him Minshew's backup. What have we got to lose? From what I've heard regarding the practices, he's outperforming Dobbs and Glennon. Why not? I would keep a 3rd QB though, probably Glennon, since who knows how this Corona Virus is gonna play out. We're gonna need a lot more personnel this year.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2020, 09:16 PM by mal234.)

(08-30-2020, 01:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 10:01 AM)mal234 Wrote: Jay and some of the local free reporters have been speaking very well of Jake Luton. They say he is smart and has talent. Gardner also praised him as well. 

I actually liked Luton in college. He played very well for being on a bad football team. He only had 3 bad games last season and two of them were against ranked teams. He's big, has a decent arm, is pretty accurate and the thing he excels at most, is not turning the ball over. He makes really good reads. Personally, since there is no chance of us being in contention this season, I say make him Minshew's backup. What have we got to lose? From what I've heard regarding the practices, he's outperforming Dobbs and Glennon. Why not? I would keep a 3rd QB though, probably Glennon, since who knows how this Corona Virus is gonna play out. We're gonna need a lot more personnel this year.

I definitely think Luton will end up.making the 53 man roster. The staff seems to like him, especially Gruden. I believe the Jags will carry 3 QBs. I'm not sure who the third QB will end up being.

Also, here is a short video of DJ Chark mic'ed up in camp. Love DJ's personality and his chemistry with his teammates. I liked the catch he made at the end of the video. Looking forward to watching more of
him this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muc3ZXFHrNo

Henderson was locking Chark down

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2020, 09:33 PM by Newton.)

That was my main take away from the video as well. Guy looked like he was glued to chark. Very impressive.

Our new 9th overall rookie CB.... Not a good look... "Free Em" on Fournette's instagram live... Guy has only been here for a minute and already saying this crap..

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1301332997262774278

What a shame. 

In Caldwell we trust though
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I still can't believe we took another one from DBPU. He should've been canned right after that pick.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato