Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Negatives Vs Colts

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020, 05:37 PM by jaguarmvp.)

-Hayden:  He was getting burnt like toast combined with a couple of back breaking penalties. 

-2nd Half Running Game:  It vanished.  Holes were closed and Robinson was shut down in the running game.

-Pass Rush:  I know the Colts have a really good offensive line.  That said, Rivers was too comfortable in the pocket.  If not for turnovers, we lose.

-Killed by the screen. We can't defend it.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Defense has to be better and that starts with Wash. I understand there are a good bit of rookies on D but still. Wash has to learn how to teach this defense to react to screens and passes over the middle

(09-14-2020, 10:09 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Defense has to be better and that starts with Wash. I understand there are a good bit of rookies on D but still. Wash has to learn how to teach this defense to react to screens and passes over the middle

Wash couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag. He's done exactly nothing for the defense his entire time in Duval. Anything good that comes from it is because of the players, not him.

Run defense was an issue - especially early on.

Screens and swing passes were poorly defended.

Hayden vs TEs was a problem - which is abnormal.

A handful of poor protection plays along our o-line were glaring but not as bad as last season as far as I can tell.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020, 03:03 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-14-2020, 08:48 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: -Hayden:  He was getting burnt like toast combined with a couple of back breaking penalties. 

-2nd Half Running Game:  It vanished.  Holes were closed and Robinson was shut down in the running game.

-Pass Rush:  I know the Colts have a really good offensive line.  That said, Rivers was too comfortable in the pocket.  If not for turnovers, we lose.

1. That is a real problem, especially since he provides the veteran leadership for a very young secondary. Hayden needs to get his head back on straight and play a lot better the next game. 

2. We're used to this. Our O-Line has always been suspect and opening holes for the running game has been a constant problem. With no real changes to the starting lineup, I fully expect this to continue. 

3. This was expected as well. We are down to one proven pass rusher on the roster (Allen.) We definitely need to use a couple of our 2021 high draft picks to add an edge pass rusher and a pass rushing 3 technique who can consistently collapse the pocket.

(09-15-2020, 12:07 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 10:09 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Defense has to be better and that starts with Wash. I understand there are a good bit of rookies on D but still. Wash has to learn how to teach this defense to react to screens and passes over the middle

Wash couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag. He's done exactly nothing for the defense his entire time in Duval. Anything good that comes from it is because of the players, not him.

Agreed. How he has kept his job this long, is beyond me.

(09-15-2020, 01:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Run defense was an issue - especially early on.

A handful of poor protection plays along our o-line were glaring but not as bad as last season as far as I can tell.

Screen/Swing passes have been an issue in the past and they were surely a big issue again against the colts. They need to figure that out really fast, or else Henry and co. are going to eat us up in that area, like usual.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020, 04:08 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-15-2020, 01:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Run defense was an issue - especially early on.

Personally, I was satisfied with the run defense. After what I saw last season, this was a drastic improvement. Not perfect, but much better than 2019. 

Agreed.

Agreed. We need Hayden to get back on track as he provides veteran guidance for this very young secondary. 

I know both offensive tackles gave up sacks. The 3rd sack was one that Minshew was completely responsible for. He had a clean pocket, but couldn't find an open receiver and held onto the ball entirely too long. He needs to learn to throw that ball out of bounds in such a situation. The 4th sack came on an all out blitz. What I was more concerned about regarding the offensive line was the complete breakdown in the run game during the 2nd half. I don't know what happened, but the running lanes completely dried up. This can't happen if we want to have continued success on offense. It's a familiar sight though as we've always seemed to struggle opening running lanes with this group. Unfortunately, I don't see this changing much, as we have the same starting unit we had last season.

Hicken pointed out on a show last night that, aside from the yardage differential, the Colts never punted. Gulp. The turnovers saved our tails, but the defense as a whole needs to play better.

(09-15-2020, 03:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Personally, I was satisfied with the run defense. After what I saw last season, this was a drastic improvement. Not perfect, but much better than 2019. 

Agreed.

Agreed. We need Hayden to get back on track as he provides veteran guidance for this very young secondary. 

I know both offensive tackles gave up sacks. The 3rd sack was one that Minshew was completely responsible for. He had a clean pocket, but couldn't find an open receiver and held onto the ball entirely too long. He needs to learn to throw that ball out of bounds in such a situation. The 4th sack came on an all out blitz. What I was more concerned about regarding the offensive line was the complete breakdown in the run game during the 2nd half. I don't know what happened, but the running lanes completely dried up. This can't happen if we want to have continued success on offense. It's a familiar sight though as we've always seemed to struggle opening running lanes with this group. Unfortunately, I don't see this changing much, as we have the same starting unit we had last season.

They stacked the box to shut down the run. That open the passing lanes up and Minshew Took advantage.

Hey guys, the Jaguars won...they WON ....in spite of what they didn't do the things they
did do won the game.
tacks were hard pressed to pull out that late game with a lame kicker, henry not to form and we're fresh off a good win after being called a 7 point underdog
against a no pushover clot team.

Pass the Teal Koolaid ....I think we have a shot at knocking them off.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(09-15-2020, 03:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Agreed.

You have to give Abry Jones a lot of credit.  One on one stop against the best guard in the league along with Jack blowing up the middle.  Jones was much improved with his run D and thats what he has talked about all offseason and he is now a captain on D so I think he has taken it personal

Forgot Smoot and his two boneheaded penalties.

Under 170 something yards passing. *yawn*. We need a Aaron Rodgers real franshise type of QB.

(09-15-2020, 09:25 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Hicken pointed out on a show last night that, aside from the yardage differential, the Colts never punted.  Gulp.  The turnovers saved our tails, but the defense as a whole needs to play better.

Two turnovers plus two failed 4th down conversions must be accounted for in that misleading no punt “stat” 

They do need to force punts - but that is four stalled drives. Not insignificant.

(09-15-2020, 12:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 09:25 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Hicken pointed out on a show last night that, aside from the yardage differential, the Colts never punted.  Gulp.  The turnovers saved our tails, but the defense as a whole needs to play better.

Two turnovers plus two failed 4th down conversions must be accounted for in that misleading no punt “stat” 

They do need to force punts - but that is four stalled drives. Not insignificant.

You beat me to it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-15-2020, 10:56 AM)uthill Wrote: Forgot Smoot and his two boneheaded penalties.

One of those 'boneheaded' penalties is ticky tack poop that doesn't deserve to be called. he wasn't late, his hand just contacted Rivers' helmet.

Can false hope be a negative? I'm kidding, but the first 4 games of the NFL are always kind of crazy. I hope the jags keep it up and shock everyone, but there's also the possibility the stars aligned and this game was a fluke. I think people should be optimistic, but guarded.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020, 05:11 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Defense allowed 20 points and a total of 88 rushing yards.

Wash should be awarded coach of the week, given the group of misfits he's working with.  We have a group of UFAs, a 7th round pick, a 1st round bust, and a few castaway busts from other teams in our starting lineup.  If he can consistently turn this chicken [BLEEP] into chicken salad, I'd be totally amazed.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020, 05:18 PM by uthill.)

(09-15-2020, 04:42 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-15-2020, 10:56 AM)uthill Wrote: Forgot Smoot and his two boneheaded penalties.

One of those 'boneheaded' penalties is ticky tack poop that doesn't deserve to be called. he wasn't late, his hand just contacted Rivers' helmet.

What part of not hitting the head at all on a QB don't you understand?

(09-15-2020, 11:49 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Under 170 something yards passing.  *yawn*.  We need a Aaron Rodgers real franshise type of QB.

Okay then you will be very happy with Rivers then. What a moronic statement. 3 TOUCH DOWNS you troll.

(09-15-2020, 11:49 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Under 170 something yards passing.  *yawn*.  We need a Aaron Rodgers real franshise type of QB.

So are you saying the win isn't "good enough" because of stats?  I'll take 19/20 completions for 173 yards  3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions (or other turnovers for that matter) all day long if it means a W rather than a L.  I'm not sure what a "franshise" type QB is like.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.