Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody Still Doubting Caldwell?

(09-25-2020, 11:55 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 11:40 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: That's the same team that barely beat a bad Buffalo Bills team in the Wildcard game.  They got hot at the right time and were very talented on D that year, but Caldwell's QB held them back.  Let's not judge them on what they "could" have done... let's judge them on their record.  And overall in the last 8 seasons, it is the WORST winning percentage in the NFL.

That game in Buffalo was a [BLEEP] show for both teams... It was played in 20-30 mph winds lol.

And why were they very talented on D? Oh yea, because of Dave.. And Bortles did not hold that team back in the playoffs that year. There's a lot you can knock Bortles on, but his play during the playoffs in 2017 is not one of them.

I was all for a clean of house this past off season, everybody needed to go, but it didn't happen. It's just hilarious watching this board swing from one extreme, to the other every week. It's always the highest of highs, or the lowest of lows with this board lol. The past 2 weeks people were living the high life. Talking about how this team looked like it has a lot of young promising talent. Then this week the team lays an egg and it's right back to fire everybody, the sky is falling, zero talent blah blah.

This is the youngest team in the league. What did you guys expect? There's going to be some serious growing pains along the way, as we just seen last night.

I don't care if its young... I care if its talented.  And its not.  Its YEAR 8.  And we are rebuilding?  From WHAT?!?!?!  The ONE winning season we've had in Caldwell's EIGHT YEARS?  Quit apologizing for the worst GM in the League.  It embarrassing
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 12:21 AM by Eric1.)

(09-26-2020, 12:10 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 11:55 PM)Eric1 Wrote: That game in Buffalo was a [BLEEP] show for both teams... It was played in 20-30 mph winds lol.

And why were they very talented on D? Oh yea, because of Dave.. And Bortles did not hold that team back in the playoffs that year. There's a lot you can knock Bortles on, but his play during the playoffs in 2017 is not one of them.

I was all for a clean of house this past off season, everybody needed to go, but it didn't happen. It's just hilarious watching this board swing from one extreme, to the other every week. It's always the highest of highs, or the lowest of lows with this board lol. The past 2 weeks people were living the high life. Talking about how this team looked like it has a lot of young promising talent. Then this week the team lays an egg and it's right back to fire everybody, the sky is falling, zero talent blah blah.

This is the youngest team in the league. What did you guys expect? There's going to be some serious growing pains along the way, as we just seen last night.

I don't care if its young... I care if its talented.  And its not.  Its YEAR 8.  And we are rebuilding?  From WHAT?!?!?!  The ONE winning season we've had in Caldwell's EIGHT YEARS?  Quit apologizing for the worst GM in the League.  It embarrassing

You can thank Coughlin's old senile [BLEEP] for this [BLEEP] show.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 12:39 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-26-2020, 12:21 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:10 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I don't care if its young... I care if its talented.  And its not.  Its YEAR 8.  And we are rebuilding?  From WHAT?!?!?!  The ONE winning season we've had in Caldwell's EIGHT YEARS?  Quit apologizing for the worst GM in the League.  It embarrassing

Oh, so you give Caldwell credit for the 2017 season but Coughlin blame for everything else?  So ridiculous.

8 YEARS of Caldwell leadership.  Just see the signature below for the facts of that.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-26-2020, 12:21 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:10 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I don't care if its young... I care if its talented.  And its not.  Its YEAR 8.  And we are rebuilding?  From WHAT?!?!?!  The ONE winning season we've had in Caldwell's EIGHT YEARS?  Quit apologizing for the worst GM in the League.  It embarrassing

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 12:46 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(09-26-2020, 12:31 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:21 AM)Eric1 Wrote: You can thank Coughlin's old senile [BLEEP] for this [BLEEP] show.

Oh, so you give Caldwell credit for the 2017 season but Coughlin blame for everything else?  So ridiculous.

8 YEARS of Caldwell leadership.  Just see the signature below for the facts of that.

I am surprised no one has said their classic "But but but Caldwell didn't hire Bradley, it was Khan! it was Khan's fault".

For some people Caldwell has never made a mistake here, all bad things are either the HC fault, Coughlin's or Khan's fault, everyone but saint Caldwell.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(09-26-2020, 12:31 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:21 AM)Eric1 Wrote: You can thank Coughlin's old senile [BLEEP] for this [BLEEP] show.

Oh, so you give Caldwell credit for the 2017 season but Coughlin blame for every else?  So ridiculous.

Who wouldn't give Caldwell the credit for 2017? The foundation of that team was built by him before Coughlin even got here.. And there's plenty of blame for Caldwell as well, but Coughlin is the one who ran off all our talent and ran this team into the ground again for the 2nd time. Which is why it has to be rebuilt, again. There's a reason why the NFLPA was going after him and this franchise. There's also a reason why he was the only one canned. It's pretty obvious he was a huge problem.

I already said there should of been a full clean of house this past off season, but it is what it is. I'm not going to get worked up over something I have zero control over and you should do the same. If/when he gets fired, he gets fired.

He isn't the best GM and he isn't the worst. He's probably the best one we've had in this franchise's history though. It's between him and Shack and neither were world beaters, or anything close. Maybe we could get a better GM, but we could absolutely get somebody who's worse and that's probably what'll happen. The end of the tunnel is always better... Until you get there and realize it actually isn't.

(09-26-2020, 12:46 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:31 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Oh, so you give Caldwell credit for the 2017 season but Coughlin blame for everything else?  So ridiculous.

I am surprised no one has said their classic "But but but Caldwell didn't hire Bradley, it was Khan! it was Khan's fault".

For some people Caldwell has never made a mistake here, all bad things are either the HC fault, Coughlin's or Khan's fault, everyone but saint Caldwell.

Definitely Stockholm Syndrome.  Truly unbelievable.

Imagine being invited to draft on a mega yacht and this is the defense you field.

I can't wait to see the reactions at the end of the season when Khan announces both Marrone and Caldwell are back.  "1-15 isn't what we wanted, but both Doug and Dave are committed to the vision I have for the Jaguars and had it not been for COVID 19 we would have been more competitive."

(09-26-2020, 09:23 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: I can't wait to see the reactions at the end of the season when Khan announces both Marrone and Caldwell are back.  "1-15 isn't what we wanted, but both Doug and Dave are committed to the vision I have for the Jaguars and had it not been for COVID 19 we would have been more competitive."

Then Caldwell will trade Josh Allen for a 1st and 3rd and get total praise here.

(09-26-2020, 12:56 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Who wouldn't give Caldwell the credit for 2017? The foundation of that team was built by him before Coughlin even got here.

The problem is that it wasn't really a foundation, it was a shiny but brittle veneer built through endless FA spending and like 3 good draft picks. Campbell, Malik, Dareus, Bouye, Poz, Gipson, and Church.

(09-26-2020, 12:56 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:31 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Oh, so you give Caldwell credit for the 2017 season but Coughlin blame for every else?  So ridiculous.

Who wouldn't give Caldwell the credit for 2017? The foundation of that team was built by him before Coughlin even got here.. And there's plenty of blame for Caldwell as well, but Coughlin is the one who ran off all our talent and ran this team into the ground again for the 2nd time. Which is why it has to be rebuilt, again. There's a reason why the NFLPA was going after him and this franchise. There's also a reason why he was the only one canned. It's pretty obvious he was a huge problem.

I already said there should of been a full clean of house this past off season, but it is what it is. I'm not going to get worked up over something I have zero control over and you should do the same. If/when he gets fired, he gets fired.

He isn't the best GM and he isn't the worst. He's probably the best one we've had in this franchise's history though. It's between him and Shack and neither were world beaters, or anything close. Maybe we could get a better GM, but we could absolutely get somebody who's worse and that's probably what'll happen. The end of the tunnel is always better... Until you get there and realize it actually isn't.

If you call that a foundation, you better call RamJack.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 10:13 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-26-2020, 09:52 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 12:56 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Who wouldn't give Caldwell the credit for 2017? The foundation of that team was built by him before Coughlin even got here.

The problem is that it wasn't really a foundation, it was a shiny but brittle veneer built through endless FA spending and like 3 good draft picks. Campbell, Malik, Dareus, Bouye, Poz, Gipson, and Church.

EXACTLY right.  It was an unsustainable philosophy that crumbled as quickly as it was built.  You build sustained success through cheap labor (i.e. the Draft) and sprinkle in free agents to shore up deficiencies.  Caldwell apologists say "we Draft great"... HELL NO WE DON'T.  We are horrible in our draft picks.

(09-26-2020, 12:56 AM)Eric1 Wrote: He isn't the best GM and he isn't the worst. He's probably the best one we've had in this franchise's history though. It's between him and Shack and neither were world beaters, or anything close. Maybe we could get a better GM, but we could absolutely get somebody who's worse and that's probably what'll happen. The end of the tunnel is always better... Until you get there and realize it actually isn't.

He IS the worst GM in the League.  Show me one with a worse record.  Wins and losses is the only stat that matters in the NFL... the rest is coffee shop (or online chat board) BS.

(09-26-2020, 10:10 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 09:52 AM)Upper Wrote: The problem is that it wasn't really a foundation, it was a shiny but brittle veneer built through endless FA spending and like 3 good draft picks. Campbell, Malik, Dareus, Bouye, Poz, Gipson, and Church.

EXACTLY right.  It was an unsustainable philosophy that crumbled as quickly as it was built.  You build sustained success through cheap labor (i.e. the Draft) and sprinkle in free agents to shore up deficiencies.  Caldwell apologists say "we Draft great"... HELL NO WE DON'T.  We are horrible in our draft picks.

(09-26-2020, 12:56 AM)Eric1 Wrote: He isn't the best GM and he isn't the worst. He's probably the best one we've had in this franchise's history though. It's between him and Shack and neither were world beaters, or anything close. Maybe we could get a better GM, but we could absolutely get somebody who's worse and that's probably what'll happen. The end of the tunnel is always better... Until you get there and realize it actually isn't.

He IS the worst GM in the League.  Show me one with a worse record.  Wins and losses is the only stat that matters in the NFL... the rest is coffee shop (or online chat board) BS.
He’s not the worst.

Ryan Pace takes the cake by a country mile.

(09-26-2020, 10:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 10:10 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: EXACTLY right.  It was an unsustainable philosophy that crumbled as quickly as it was built.  You build sustained success through cheap labor (i.e. the Draft) and sprinkle in free agents to shore up deficiencies.  Caldwell apologists say "we Draft great"... HELL NO WE DON'T.  We are horrible in our draft picks.

He’s not the worst.

Ryan Pace takes the cake by a country mile.

You could make that argument.  Trading up one spot to get Trubisky while giving away 4 picks with Mahomes and Watson on the board will go down as one of the single greatest draft blunders in NFL history.  But Trubisky > Bortles in my mind still.  However, besides that obvious blunder, he has done some nice things with the D in Chicago.  And he has a better record in Chicago than Caldwell has here.

(09-26-2020, 09:23 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: I can't wait to see the reactions at the end of the season when Khan announces both Marrone and Caldwell are back.  "1-15 isn't what we wanted, but both Doug and Dave are committed to the vision I have for the Jaguars and had it not been for COVID 19 we would have been more competitive."

I'm fully expecting this to happen. After I saw the draft and then saw the veteran players we let go, the writing was on the wall. No coaching staff on the "hot seat" would make such moves unless they assured by the owner that they were coming back, no matter what.

(09-26-2020, 10:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I'm fully expecting this to happen. After I saw the draft and then saw the veteran players we let go, the writing was on the wall. No coaching staff on the "hot seat" would make such moves unless they assured by the owner that they were coming back, no matter what.

I have a hard time believing Khan would make that assurance.  And even if he did, that is no real guarantee (other than their contracted salaries for 2021).  

However, if what you assume is true, do you see Khan rolling those guys over into 2022?  Or have them both as a lame duck coach/GM combo on one year deals?   Most teams do not do that anymore... they typically fire them with a year left or roll them over.

(09-26-2020, 10:35 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 10:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm fully expecting this to happen. After I saw the draft and then saw the veteran players we let go, the writing was on the wall. No coaching staff on the "hot seat" would make such moves unless they assured by the owner that they were coming back, no matter what.

I have a hard time believing Khan would make that assurance.  And even if he did, that is no real guarantee (other than their contracted salaries for 2021).  

However, if what you assume is true, do you see Khan rolling those guys over into 2022?  Or have them both as a lame duck coach/GM combo on one year deals?   Most teams do not do that anymore... they typically fire them with a year left or roll them over.

No. I think he will simply allow them to play out their contracts. Khan strikes me as a guy who isn't very knowledgeable about American football. I believe his passion is soccer and I believe he's just owner of the Jaguars as a hobby. He entrust other people to run the day to day stuff and do the hiring and firing. I also think he puts personal relationships above what is right for the team. If he didn't, these fools would've already been gone.

(09-26-2020, 10:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 10:35 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I have a hard time believing Khan would make that assurance.  And even if he did, that is no real guarantee (other than their contracted salaries for 2021).  

No. I think he will simply allow them to play out their contracts. Khan strikes me as a guy who isn't very knowledgeable about American football. I believe his passion is soccer and I believe he's just owner of the Jaguars as a hobby. He entrust other people to run the day to day stuff and do the hiring and firing. I also think he puts personal relationships above what is right for the team. If he didn't, these fools would've already been gone.

I would be soooo thoroughly disgusted if they are back next season. But I could see Khan valuing his personal relationships over what's best for the team.  He just seems like too nice a guy and doesn't have the stones to cut them loose.

(09-26-2020, 10:51 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 10:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. I think he will simply allow them to play out their contracts. Khan strikes me as a guy who isn't very knowledgeable about American football. I believe his passion is soccer and I believe he's just owner of the Jaguars as a hobby. He entrust other people to run the day to day stuff and do the hiring and firing. I also think he puts personal relationships above what is right for the team. If he didn't, these fools would've already been gone.

I would be soooo thoroughly disgusted if they are back next season. But I could see Khan valuing his personal relationships over what's best for the team.  He just seems like too nice a guy and doesn't have the stones to cut them loose.

I think you better get yourself prepared.