Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody Still Doubting Caldwell?

I think it's pretty dang obvious the man knows when he sees talent. If the D tightens up a little, this team can win ten games. Look at the upcoming schedule we have... Could very easily be 3-1 at the quarter mark.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’ve always been a Caldwell fan. Your only as good as your QB.

First 3 picks were looking nice today.

I hope so. Don't think it's ever been as obvious as it has been this year. He definitely drafts really well, not eager to roll the dice with another GM.

(09-21-2020, 12:09 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: I think it's pretty dang obvious the man knows when he sees talent. If the D tightens up a little, this team can win ten games. Look at the upcoming schedule we have... Could very easily be 3-1 at the quarter mark.

One winning season in 8 years and our next best season was 6-10? Hell yah I'm doubting him.  He's been a disaster and lucked out on Minshew as a 6th round draft pick.

If we do not win 7+ games, I expect Caldwell and Morrone will both be sent packing.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-21-2020, 02:18 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:09 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: I think it's pretty dang obvious the man knows when he sees talent. If the D tightens up a little, this team can win ten games. Look at the upcoming schedule we have... Could very easily be 3-1 at the quarter mark.

One winning season in 8 years and our next best season was 6-10? Hell yah I'm doubting him.  He's been a disaster and lucked out on Minshew as a 6th round draft pick.

If we do not win 7+ games, I expect Caldwell and Morrone will both be sent packing.

Most of the players Caldwell was drafting went exactly where they should have during the drafts. Stop blaming a GM for poor coaching decisions, which is what has dogged this team for decades. Bad coaching will ALWAYS cancel out great talent because no player, no matter how good he is, comes into the NFL without needing to learn the speed, system and the culture - no exceptions. Players do not come up with gameplans or dictate how a system is run. That's the COACHING STAFF.

On top of all that, Tom Coughlin came in and ruined a pretty good setup by Caldwell. Don't even try to say that they made the playoffs because of Coughlin - nearly all of that talent from that 2017 team was drafted by Caldwell. What happened to all of those players? Coughlin ran them off - and now Caldwell is forced to take the blame for all of it from us fans because we think we know exactly what goes on inside the building. Newsflash: WE DON'T.

Fire Caldwell if he drafts a guy that turns out to be on the same level as Blaine Gabbert or any other player from the 'He-who-must-not-be-mentioned' era, but not for drafting good/great players that the coaching staff uses incorrectly.

(09-21-2020, 02:50 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 02:18 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: One winning season in 8 years and our next best season was 6-10? Hell yah I'm doubting him.  He's been a disaster and lucked out on Minshew as a 6th round draft pick.

Most of the players Caldwell was drafting went exactly where they should have during the drafts. Stop blaming a GM for poor coaching decisions, which is what has dogged this team for decades. Bad coaching will ALWAYS cancel out great talent because no player, no matter how good he is, comes into the NFL without needing to learn the speed, system and the culture - no exceptions. Players do not come up with gameplans or dictate how a system is run. That's the COACHING STAFF.

On top of all that, Tom Coughlin came in and ruined a pretty good setup by Caldwell. Don't even try to say that they made the playoffs because of Coughlin - nearly all of that talent from that 2017 team was drafted by Caldwell. What happened to all of those players? Coughlin ran them off - and now Caldwell is forced to take the blame for all of it from us fans because we think we know exactly what goes on inside the building. Newsflash: WE DON'T.

Fire Caldwell if he drafts a guy that turns out to be on the same level as Blaine Gabbert or any other player from the 'He-who-must-not-be-mentioned' era, but not for drafting good/great players that the coaching staff uses incorrectly.

This ^

(09-21-2020, 02:50 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 02:18 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: One winning season in 8 years and our next best season was 6-10? Hell yah I'm doubting him.  He's been a disaster and lucked out on Minshew as a 6th round draft pick.

So Bortles? Joeckel?

I am definitely still doubting Dave. So far the plan for this season and next is looking better than I expected. We are young look OK and are loaded with picks and money next year. It is a long season though, and I am just going to watch it play out.

At this moment, we appear to have a talented offense and a weak defense. Credit to him for making some bold choices on offense including rolling with Robinson and having faith in the OL. At the same time he choose to go with a much younger defense that is struggling. Four defensive starters are gone via trades he made this offseason.

If they come together and finish 8-8 or better, I am OK to let it roll. Especially if the losses are close like yesterday.

(09-21-2020, 07:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 02:50 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote: Most of the players Caldwell was drafting went exactly where they should have during the drafts. Stop blaming a GM for poor coaching decisions, which is what has dogged this team for decades. Bad coaching will ALWAYS cancel out great talent because no player, no matter how good he is, comes into the NFL without needing to learn the speed, system and the culture - no exceptions. Players do not come up with gameplans or dictate how a system is run. That's the COACHING STAFF.

So Bortles? Joeckel?
I don't know why everyone likes to throw Joeckel out there...

Guaranteed that 90% of GMs would have taken Joeckel in that spot.

Yes, despite my signature, I still doubt him. One playoff season in 8 years would send any other GM packing, even the Browns.

Fire Caldwell.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I think the reason he's still getting time is because he built a borderline championship team that was messed up by Coughlin and his military rules. Coughlin turned off all our talented players by treating them like little kids and never showing them respect along with fines for stuff that's not even allowed to he fined.

So Caldwell built it, Coughlin crumbled it - a hire that was clearly out of his control so Khan probably feels like he needs to let Caldwell have another shot at building it up again without a guy in the building who's going to piss all the players off.

So far it appears he's well on his way of scheduling achieving that goal.

Ok, my memory may be going but I thought it was pretty well stated Minshew was a Coughlin pick. Impressed him in his interview from what I recall.

Everyone draws their own line as to what was Caldwell's and what was Coughlins fault.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 10:23 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(09-21-2020, 12:13 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’ve always been a Caldwell fan. Your only as good as your QB.

Yeah, we should be thankful to Coughlin for Minshew... And Chark and Allen.

We can also thank Caldwell for Bortles and Bradley.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Caldwell's only picks that have truly worked is Myles Jack and Brandon Linder. Good players that have been RESIGNED after their rookie contracts. No point to draft picks if you can't retain them. 2 hit in in 8 years is uh... yeah that's pretty bad lol.

Caldwell's problem was hanging on to Bortles too long - and passing up on guys like Watson, Mahhomes and Jackson. But he does know how to draft talent.

I think he’s been given too many chances and the team’s record under him speaks for itself.

Caldwell has made some good decisions in his tenure with the Jaguars. Drafting Chark was one of the best. Signing Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Poz as free agents were also good moves.On the other hand, he drafted Bortles, Taven Bryan and Fournette. I give him no credit for Minshew and James Robinson. If he liked them so much, he would have taken Minshew earlier and spent a draft pick on Robinson. The Josh Allen and Ramsey picks were no-brainers who would have been picked by every other G.M. in the NFL. The jury is still out on this draft class, although they have great potential.

My point is that Caldwell is a middle of the road general manager who has had his share of hits and misses. Most general managers can say the same, except for guys like Matt Millen and a few others. The problem with Caldwell is that his mistakes have been so bad! Drafting Bortles and extending him were horrible mistakes. He was a good guy who tried hard, but never should have been drafted that high. I'll give Caldwell a pass on hiring Gus Bradley, but how could any general manager worth anything give Gus an extension after having the 2nd worst record in coaching history.

Shad Kahn should have kept his word from two years ago. He strongly implied that Caldwell would be gone if the team didn't significantly improve during this time. Unless they win at least 7 games with this young team, a change should be made.

(09-21-2020, 11:14 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Caldwell has made some good decisions in his tenure with the Jaguars. Drafting Chark was one of the best. Signing Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Poz as free agents were also good moves.On the other hand, he drafted Bortles, Taven Bryan and Fournette. I give him no credit for Minshew and James Robinson. If he liked them so much, he would have taken Minshew earlier and spent a draft pick on Robinson. The Josh Allen and Ramsey picks were no-brainers who would have been picked by every other G.M. in the NFL. The jury is still out on this draft class, although they have great potential.

My point is that Caldwell is a middle of the road general manager who has had his share of hits and misses. Most general managers can say the same, except for guys like Matt Millen and a few others. The problem with Caldwell is that his mistakes have been so bad! Drafting Bortles and extending him were horrible mistakes. He was a good guy who tried hard, but never should have been drafted that high. I'll give Caldwell a pass on hiring Gus Bradley, but how could any general manager worth anything give Gus an extension after having the 2nd worst record in coaching history.

Shad Kahn should have kept his word from two years ago. He strongly implied that Caldwell would be gone if the team didn't significantly improve during this time. Unless they win at least 7 games with this young team, a change should be made.

I could be wrong, but did Caldwell sign Poz?