Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 10:41 AM by Newton.)

I’m really interested to see how the next two games go. The more I reflect on Thursday night, the more I hope it was just an Aberration due to a short week. My main concern with Minshew  is the same as many of yours, and that is his ability to throw down the field with velocity. If we start to see him complete some more Deep passes, and the offense continues to ball more like week one and week two, then we probably won’t be having this conversation by the bye week.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It amazes me, if Minshew was a first rounder, everything would be about how good he is and that he had a rough game but just needs a little more time. Being a 6th rounder, he needs his highs to be WAY higher and every low is magnified 100x. If he was a 1st round pick playing how he has, we wouldn't even be discussing Lawrence at all.

Way too early to tell what kind of or how good a QB Minshew is. Let's face it many of you are just happy to see our QB throw spirals instead of wobbly ducks. The bar was none too high....time will tell and things work out.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Foles doing his thing and called of the bench in the 4th to throw 3 td's to win the game.

(09-27-2020, 04:35 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: Foles doing his thing and called of the bench in the 4th to throw 3 td's to win the game.

Let's be honest. Foles off the bench is the only time he's really any good

(09-27-2020, 02:39 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: It amazes me, if Minshew was a first rounder, everything would be about how good he is and that he had a rough game but just needs a little more time. Being a 6th rounder, he needs his highs to be WAY higher and every low is magnified 100x. If he was a 1st round pick playing how he has, we wouldn't even be discussing Lawrence at all.

It has nothing to do with his draft stock, it has everything to do with his traits. He has a lot of very good traits, but he has some glaring shortcomings that are going to be tough to overcome if we ultimately want to win a super bowl.

If we're content with merely being not bad and fun the stick with Minshew forever he will be fun and not bad. Unfortunately, I often feel like all of Shad, the FO, and the fans would be content with simply being not bad.

(09-27-2020, 05:41 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 02:39 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: It amazes me, if Minshew was a first rounder, everything would be about how good he is and that he had a rough game but just needs a little more time. Being a 6th rounder, he needs his highs to be WAY higher and every low is magnified 100x. If he was a 1st round pick playing how he has, we wouldn't even be discussing Lawrence at all.

It has nothing to do with his draft stock, it has everything to do with his traits. He has a lot of very good traits, but he has some glaring shortcomings that are going to be tough to overcome if we ultimately want to win a super bowl.

If we're content with merely being not bad and fun the stick with Minshew forever he will be fun and not bad. Unfortunately, I often feel like all of Shad, the FO, and the fans would be content with simply being not bad.

I call BS on that. Look how bad Darnold has been, look how rough Allen looked year one and two. Look how bad Mayfield was last year. Minshew outplayed all of them last season and all but Allen until this past week this year. But there's still talk daily about replacing him.

If he had a season like Darnold or Mayfield last year he wouldn't have had another chance. It plays into it to someone degree for sure.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020, 08:03 PM by D-Money.)

Minshew is going to be good, I don't believe we have to worry about the qb position but if we don't get any help on defense (Free agent safety, firing Wash and a new 2nd CB) its going to be hard to force him to put up a bunch of points every week.

Boom. You nailed it.
Guy has two terrific games with a new offense and one "Meh" game and it's back to ground zero with him.

Kyler Murray wet the bed far worse today at home against the pathetic Lions and not a word will be mentioned about questioning his long term status as a franchise QB. 

Not. One. Word.

It's all draft bias/pedigree coming to the forefront. 

I'm beyond tired of the whole "Defenses have figured Minshew out" nonsense everytime he has a mediocre game. If running a soft zone and making him throw from the pocket was such a sure shutdown move, then Frank Reich and his staff must be complete morons since they saw him twice in a row and he torched them twice when there was such an obvious adjustment right there waiting to be utilized. 
The truth is that Minshew was under constant pressure and had a slim margin for error. If he would've had Fitzgerald's clean pocket Thursday night, he would've played like he did the first two weeks. It's not like he was making wild, yippy throws and bad decisions with the ball. 

If Trevor Lawrence had these same three games in his sophomore season, people would be unanimously raving about his future on this board.

The kid can play. He was missing some very important players on offense. He did well with what he had. Time would be better spent looking at other areas of the team right now. That said I feel EVERY year we should draft a QB at some point in the draft. PLEASE don't tell me it will hurt the current QB's feelings or undermine him. If it does then maybe he should try playing another sport.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(09-27-2020, 10:05 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote:

Boom. You nailed it.
Guy has two terrific games with a new offense and one "Meh" game and it's back to ground zero with him.

Kyler Murray wet the bed far worse today at home against the pathetic Lions and not a word will be mentioned about questioning his long term status as a franchise QB. 

Not. One. Word.

I'm beyond tired of the whole "Defenses have figured Minshew out" nonsense everytime he has a mediocre game. If running a soft zone and making him throw from the pocket was such a sure shutdown move, then Frank Reich and his staff must be complete morons since they saw him twice in a row and he torched them twice when there was such an obvious adjustment right there waiting to be utilized. 
The truth is that Minshew was under constant pressure and had a slim margin for error. If he would've had Fitzgerald's clean pocket Thursday night, he would've played like he did the first two weeks. It's not like he was making wild, yippy throws and bad decisions with the ball. 

If Trevor Lawrence had these same three games in his sophomore season, people would be unanimously raving about his future on this board.

The funny thing is his meh game was almost 300 yards passing, 70%+ completions and one interception that was in garbage time

(09-27-2020, 10:12 PM)PS9 Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 10:05 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: Boom. You nailed it.

Not. One. Word.

The funny thing is his meh game was almost 300 yards passing, 70%+ completions and one interception that was in garbage time
If he’s unable to throw the ball down the field consistently then we are in trouble. The jags hurt themselves holding on to players longer than they should, as we saw with Gabbert and Bortles.

(09-27-2020, 10:29 PM)iam Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 10:12 PM)PS9 Wrote: The funny thing is his meh game was almost 300 yards passing, 70%+ completions and one interception that was in garbage time
If he’s unable to throw the ball down the field consistently then we are in trouble. The jags hurt themselves holding on to players longer than they should, as we saw with Gabbert and Bortles.

I like Minshew.  But I liked David Garrard too.  Not sure what that means.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

My biggest question with Gardner is can he throw it down the field for the intermediate routes with enough velocity. He has proven to have a nice deep ball and obviously is amazing with quick passing. Time will tell. Rooting for him.

(09-27-2020, 10:11 PM)Jag149 Wrote: The kid can play. He was missing some very important players on offense. He did well with what he had. Time would be better spent looking at other areas of the team right now. That said I feel EVERY year we should draft a QB at some point in the draft. PLEASE don't tell me it will hurt the current QB's feelings or undermine him. If it does then maybe he should try playing another sport.

I dunno, I'd pump the brakes on this thought process. Maybe he did have a bad game, but it wasn't because he was lacking "pieces". He missed a TD on the 1st play, 1st drive. Cole was WIDE OPEN. He was gun shy all night and left a lot of yards and TDs on the field. He didn't attack the Miami defense, which is not all that great. That's very concerning.

He isn't getting better in the pocket either, he is way too skittish and bails on clean pockets way too early.

Minshew has shown a lot of great traits and I still think he can be the guy, but the fact is until he pushes the ball down field, this is likely what we will see from him. The blueprint is out, defenses will play soft zone and let him hit the dump offs for a  minimal gain until he can drive the ball down field consistently. 

We are gonna find out if he can do just that, the game plan to "beat" Minshew is out. The question now is, can he drive the ball down field and make teams pay?

(09-25-2020, 09:18 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 08:11 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: When did Minshew have 6-8 bad games in a row?

he hasn't yet,but doug will make sure he does. bortles was a good qb until doug ruined him. Gabbert could've been decent,doug destroys everything he coaches look at bills they sucked for years after he  quit there.  he needs to be fired. minshew will end up with 10 stright bad games in a row if doug isn't fired now.  Bengals are going to crush us worse then guppies did. its all dougs fault that this is worst suckssonville team ever. Colts handed game to jags. Jags can't win,as long as doug is the HC might as well get use to loseing all the time. this team is worse then the 0-16 lions,and 0-16 browns. only have a win cause it was handed to them.

You know Marrone never coached Gabbert, right?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-28-2020, 08:58 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 09:18 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: he hasn't yet,but doug will make sure he does. bortles was a good qb until doug ruined him. Gabbert could've been decent,doug destroys everything he coaches look at bills they sucked for years after he  quit there.  he needs to be fired. minshew will end up with 10 stright bad games in a row if doug isn't fired now.  Bengals are going to crush us worse then guppies did. its all dougs fault that this is worst suckssonville team ever. Colts handed game to jags. Jags can't win,as long as doug is the HC might as well get use to loseing all the time. this team is worse then the 0-16 lions,and 0-16 browns. only have a win cause it was handed to them.

You know Marrone never coached Gabbert, right?

Well Steve Beer-line was an All Pro until Marrone destroyed him and his career in 1995.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-27-2020, 11:14 PM)Newton Wrote: My biggest question with Gardner is can he throw it down the field for the intermediate routes with enough velocity. He has proven to have a nice deep ball and obviously is amazing with quick passing. Time will tell. Rooting for him.

Minshew has some of the best completion percentages on the deep ball throws.  He knows where to go with the ball.  He has to process faster and playing/executing will do that.  Honestly dropped balls kill any QB.  In games where the offense was efficient, Minshew distributed the ball and hit multiple areas of the field and multiple targets.  The defense is really, really bad and if we keep the QB Draft cycle going, this brain trust is never going to develop either side of the ball.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I will say it again; if Minshew ends up not being the "man", it will be a blow to this franchise and fans hopes; one the franchise can't afford. Our history of first round QB's offers no hope either.

It's honestly deflating; seeing the next gen of QB's (Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Allen, Jackson, etc.) and if Minshew isn't "it" we've missed the boat again. I don't know how Jacksonville can avoid a move to London with another ten years of losing and rebuilds.

We all should be rooting for Minshew

How much does it suck to be the QB and know that if you go 3 and out your first series of the game you'll be down 2 scores inside of 5 minutes?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato