Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

(10-04-2020, 06:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If Minshew plays the next game like he has the last two, I think that officially designates him as NOT the man. A franchise QB needs to roll with the good and the bad of a team. Look what raw rookie Burrow is doing with a team with an O line of turnstiles. Minshew only deserves so many chances to get his stuff in one sock. If he can't do that in 3 games, then maybe it's time to hand him the clipboard and give Luton a shot..

Burrow had all day to throw.  Some of his misses were where he had wide open people underneath. This defense isn't really a NFL defense and has what maybe 3 people that could start on other teams. 

We still need a TE, we really need upgrades at every offensive line position. Caldwell is only good at stock piling picks. Our promising RB is undrafted. This is another historically poor team after years of historically poor teams. Everyone we have played has upside on their rosters.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Imo Minshew could develop into a very good QB but how much time are we willing to give him? if we end up having a top 5 pick and a good QB is available I am sorry but I am taking him.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-04-2020, 06:43 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 06:35 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I think it depends what you mean by "developing".  Most young QB's struggle with their decision-making on the field and their biggest area of development is in this area.  I don't see Minshew being deficient in this area.  He appears more polished in this aspect of his game than most young QB's.  I think most of his struggles are physical, and I don't know how much that is going to change or develop.  He is a fighter and an easy guy to cheer for (like Fitz and Tyrod Taylor), but he has no special physical traits that will allow him to become elite, imo.

True but neither are Tom Brady or Drew Brees particularly gifted physically. I'll be interested to see how he ultimately fits into the team's future. A new regime is likely going to want to being in their own QB.

Agreed.  But you are comparing Minshew to two Hall of Famers with PhD's in football decision-making and have always been extremely accurate with their throws not only with short and intermediate routes, but also downfield.  I don't see Minshew's accuracy downfield, but he seems OK short and intermediate.  And you are asking a lot of Mishew to get to that level of decision-making.  Is it possible?  Sure.  But probable?  Not likely.  Definitely interesting to watch his development the rest of the season though.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-04-2020, 06:46 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Imo Minshew could develop into a very good QB but how much time are we willing to give him? if we end up having a top 5 pick and a good QB is available I am sorry but I am taking him.

Yep. I'm also going O line the majority rest of the draft. YES, the defense is pathetic, but if we go for a franchise guy protect him PLEASE.

(10-04-2020, 06:46 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Imo Minshew could develop into a very good QB but how much time are we willing to give him? if we end up having a top 5 pick and a good QB is available I am sorry but I am taking him.

That's fair. As much as I want Minshew to succeed, if we are picking top 3 then it's likely we have a new HC and its who they want as their QB.

I do think people need to realize though, if we draft Lawrence, its at least 2 seasons of learning and growing pains.

(10-04-2020, 06:43 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 06:35 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I think it depends what you mean by "developing".  Most young QB's struggle with their decision-making on the field and their biggest area of development is in this area.  I don't see Minshew being deficient in this area.  He appears more polished in this aspect of his game than most young QB's.  I think most of his struggles are physical, and I don't know how much that is going to change or develop.  He is a fighter and an easy guy to cheer for (like Fitz and Tyrod Taylor), but he has no special physical traits that will allow him to become elite, imo.

True but neither are Tom Brady or Drew Brees particularly gifted physically. I'll be interested to see how he ultimately fits into the team's future. A new regime is likely going to want to being in their own QB.

(10-04-2020, 06:44 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 06:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If Minshew plays the next game like he has the last two, I think that officially designates him as NOT the man. A franchise QB needs to roll with the good and the bad of a team. Look what raw rookie Burrow is doing with a team with an O line of turnstiles. Minshew only deserves so many chances to get his stuff in one sock. If he can't do that in 3 games, then maybe it's time to hand him the clipboard and give Luton a shot..

Burrow had all day to throw.  Some of his misses were where he had wide open people underneath. This defense isn't really a NFL defense and has what maybe 3 people that could start on other teams. 

We still need a TE, we really need upgrades at every offensive line position. Caldwell is only good at stock piling picks. Our promising RB is undrafted. This is another historically poor team after years of historically poor teams. Everyone we have played has upside on their rosters.

But look what Burrow did in his previous games when he didn't have all day to throw. Although they lost/tied, he made it competitive even though he was taking some nasty licks like the one Malik Jackson put on him. Which leads me to the theory I arrived at today of why Minshew is not franchise: he doesn't have the physical courage.
Last week's game was a little puzzling but I dismissed it as an off game because he had so little time to prepare. Today, with a mini by week to rest and prepare, he looked almost the same. Yet Burrow, who has taken plenty of punishment in 4 weeks, stands in the pocket and fires like true franchise QBs do while Minshew sees phantoms and scrambles if given the chance.

Minshew doesn't have the fortitude and the courage to handle the physical violence sometimes visited on a QB. Whether he's afraid of the pain, risk of injury, or the anxiety of blind hits, he's clearly uncomfortable playing where he needs to be in order to achieve franchise status, and that's in pocket.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 07:07 PM by MoJagFan.)

(10-04-2020, 07:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

That's fair. As much as I want Minshew to succeed, if we are picking top 3 then it's likely we have a new HC and its who they want as their QB.

I do think people need to realize though, if we draft Lawrence, its at least 2 seasons of learning and growing pains.

What it isn't instant success?  Seriously Minshew isn't the problem. The front office has done nothing to sustain success.

Our backfield is a 6th rounder handing off to an undrafted running back. This team is depressingly underwhelming.

(10-04-2020, 07:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 06:43 PM)hb1148 Wrote: True but neither are Tom Brady or Drew Brees particularly gifted physically. I'll be interested to see how he ultimately fits into the team's future. A new regime is likely going to want to being in their own QB.

(10-04-2020, 06:44 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Burrow had all day to throw.  Some of his misses were where he had wide open people underneath. This defense isn't really a NFL defense and has what maybe 3 people that could start on other teams. 

But look what Burrow did in his previous games when he didn't have all day to throw. Although they lost/tied, he made it competitive even though he was taking some nasty licks like the one Malik Jackson put on him. Which leads me to the theory I arrived at today of why Minshew is not franchise: he doesn't have the physical courage.
Last week's game was a little puzzling but I dismissed it as an off game because he had so little time to prepare. Today, with a mini by week to rest and prepare, he looked almost the same. Yet Burrow, who has taken plenty of punishment in 4 weeks, stands in the pocket and fires like true franchise QBs do while Minshew sees phantoms and scrambles if given the chance.

Minshew doesn't have the fortitude and the courage to handle the physical violence sometimes visited on a QB. Whether he's afraid of the pain, risk of injury, or the anxiety of blind hits, he's clearly uncomfortable playing where he needs to be in order to achieve franchise status, and that's in pocket.
We can agree to disagree.  That is an unfair characterization.  We can chase the QB draft as rinse and repeat.  We are deficit across the board.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-04-2020, 07:05 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: That's fair. As much as I want Minshew to succeed, if we are picking top 3 then it's likely we have a new HC and its who they want as their QB.

What it isn't instant success?  Seriously Minshew isn't the problem. The front office has done nothing to sustain success.

Our backfield is a 6th rounder handing off to an undrafted running back. This team is depressingly underwhelming.

Hey I'm all in on Minshew. I'm riding this train all the way up or down. Some act like draft Lawrence and suddenly we will be a high functioning O and no longer make stupid penalties or blow pass protection.

Minshew has to do an awful lot to win a game and hes going to have this season to prove it. The fact he has 8 TD's with this team makes me think he can be the guy.

(10-04-2020, 07:05 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: But look what Burrow did in his previous games when he didn't have all day to throw. Although they lost/tied, he made it competitive even though he was taking some nasty licks like the one Malik Jackson put on him. Which leads me to the theory I arrived at today of why Minshew is not franchise: he doesn't have the physical courage.

We can agree to disagree.  That is an unfair characterization.  We can chase the QB draft as rinse and repeat.  We are deficit across the board.

Next game will be the proof in the pudding. If he comes out playing skittish again with that look of stress rather than composure on his face, we'll know we have another Gabbert on the roster.

(10-04-2020, 07:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:05 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: What it isn't instant success?  Seriously Minshew isn't the problem. The front office has done nothing to sustain success.

Hey I'm all in on Minshew. I'm riding this train all the way up or down. Some act like draft Lawrence and suddenly we will be a high functioning O and no longer make stupid penalties or blow pass protection.

Minshew has to do an awful lot to win a game and hes going to have this season to prove it. The fact he has 8 TD's with this team makes me think he can be the guy.

Your train is going down.  I will jump on the next one, led by a competent GM & HC tandem.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Minshew is doing what I expected. The problem is the defense. Minshew can't continue to play catch up and score 24+ every game just to keep the team alive in the 4th quarter.

(10-04-2020, 07:23 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Hey I'm all in on Minshew. I'm riding this train all the way up or down. Some act like draft Lawrence and suddenly we will be a high functioning O and no longer make stupid penalties or blow pass protection.

Your train is going down.  I will jump on the next one, led by a competent GM & HC tandem.

Well if Minshews career is tied to Marrone and Wash's 30+ point, no turnover, no punt D then hes screwed.

Not even Mahomes could save that.

(10-04-2020, 07:28 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:23 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Your train is going down.  I will jump on the next one, led by a competent GM & HC tandem.

Well if Minshews career is tied to Marrone and Wash's 30+ point, no turnover, no punt D then hes screwed.

Not even Mahomes could save that.

You forgot to mention Caldwell and the lack of supporting cast for Minshew.  And Mahomes couldn't win a Super Bowl with this roster, but it would be a .500 team with him.  We would have beat Miami and Cincy.

I really HATE to say this, but the last 2 weeks makes me believe that Minshew is not the QB of the future. I see regression and it kills me, because we have soooooooooo many needs. I didn't wanna have to use a high pick on a QB. I will go on record though that if we have to trade up for Trevor Lawrence, I'm against it. We have so many major holes on this team (specifically on defense,) that adding a good QB is not gonna turn things around. We have to use those picks to fill massive holes in the secondary and pass rush. We've given up 30 points or more in 3 of 4 games and no rookie QB is gonna overcome that kind of deficit. I know this is not gonna happen, but at some point in this season probably after game 11, I'd like to see what Jake Luton can do. I really liked him at Oregon State and supposedly, he was impressive early on. By that time I figure we'll be 1-10.

I agree on not trading up. We need all those picks desperately to fill holes. At least that is what they said when they traded away all the players and accumulated them. Besides, my bet is he would pull an Elway and not come here. Would you if you were him?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I'll make my decision at the end of the season. But as of now I'm taking the best defensive player available

(10-04-2020, 06:27 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 05:30 PM)Upper Wrote: Minshew is going to become a very rich human being as a 15 year backup/occasional starter like Fitzpatrick. Better than like 90% of QBs can say.

I'm not convinced you're not right but it's a curious take when he's actually been playing as well or better than some other QBs projected to be franchise players. Do we assume he's going to just stop developing? It's not uncommon for young QBs to play well in year one then have a little bit of a step back in their second year before hitting their stride.

I don't think he is going to stop developing, but I think it's fair to say that he has less growth potential than most QBs. He was an old for his age draftee who had a lot of college experience so I think he was farther along than most in the mental/preparedness/whatever aspect you want to call it. He also has very subpar tools. He doesn't have a big arm, and he is far from physically imposing whether it be prototypical size or athleticism.

He basically has "it" factor, moxie, and leadership...and very good deep ball accuracy. That gets you a good way up the ladder to being a franchise QB, but it still leaves you several rungs short and I don't think Minshew has the physical tools to make it all the way up that ladder. I think he's probably around the 25th best QB, which would probably be good enough to be a Dilfer/Johnson/McMahon type if the rest of the roster is historically loaded and you are extremely cheap. Unfortunately, this roster is very bad and Minshew is already half way through his rookie contract so he won't stay cheap even if we do manage to put together a good roster in the next couple of years.

It’s amazing that if he had been a first rounder, he would be having a fantastic season on a bad team in most people’s eyes.

(10-04-2020, 10:05 PM)PS9 Wrote: It’s amazing that if he had been a first rounder, he would be having a fantastic season on a bad team in most people’s eyes.

He's led the Jags to 27, 30, 13, and 25 points this season. I'll take that kind of production every game all year long.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 10:22 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-04-2020, 10:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:05 PM)PS9 Wrote: It’s amazing that if he had been a first rounder, he would be having a fantastic season on a bad team in most people’s eyes.

He's led the Jags to 27, 30, 13, and 25 points this season. I'll take that kind of production every game all year long.

That would rank you 21st in the League in scoring.  Pretty low bar.