Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew Not The Man

You guys are crazy. He made a couple of bad throws but he made several elite throws as well. I will keep saying it. He reminds me of Tony Romo. He’s got it. The team(especially the defense) has failed him

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-04-2020, 09:35 PM)Predator Wrote: In his 16th start in the NFL he throws over 350 yards, 2 TDs, 68% completion rate and a QR over 100.

We put up 429 yards of offense and scored 25 points. We had the lead at halftime.

We chose to receive after the coin toss so the Bengals get the ball first in the second half and they proceed to march right down the field for a TD. They follow that up by continuing to score on every single possession in the second half except for the victory formation final possession.

Minshew is the least of this team's problems.

I agree with your statement.  He is not the problem.  But I have my doubts he is the long-term solution.  This season is basically a rehearsal on tape for Minshew directed at the next GM-HC regime to decide if they want to use a Top 5 Draft pick on a QB.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 10:28 PM by mal234.)

(10-04-2020, 09:57 PM)PS9 Wrote: You guys are crazy. He made a couple of bad throws but he made several elite throws as well. I will keep saying it. He reminds me of Tony Romo. He’s got it. The team(especially the defense) has failed him

Count me in as another person that still believes in Gardner.  

He wasn't that bad in today's game. Actually he was decent. 2TDs, almost 70% passing and over 100 passer rating. Yes, he looked shaky at times, but I think that may have to do a lot of that being concerned about possibly falling behind due to the defense. But Those stats are decent considering what he's dealing with and in spite of him being a bit shaky.

I think he's been in like the top 15 this season so far, as far as some of his stats/performances goes. First couple of weeks he was like top 10, maybe top 5. And I think he's up there with TD's. Maybe Top 5 in passing TD's? At least top 10. It's not he's going out there and laying an egg every week. He is putting up numbers, but things around him (mainly the defense aren't going well).

People can be very wishy washy when it comes to him. One week's he's the "Savior" next week he's not "the man." And it's often times a lot of the same people who flip flop on their opinions of him. Unfortunately, though that is what a lot fans of franchises who have performed poorly do. He deserves at least the full season to prove himself, he's earned that IMO. People probably are just better just picking a side regarding him and sticking with it for the time being, instead of constantly flipping on him.

And It's not just the Jags that do this type of thing. Almost everyone thinks their young QB's doesn't have "it." Washington fans feel that way about Dwayne Haskins, Giants about Daniel Jones, etc... People don't give young QB's a chance to develop anymore. Even when the QB's are drafted to bad teams and are asked to overcome a lot. There is only so much they can overcome without sufficient help. Even Andrew Luck could only do so much and ended up retiring early, due to problems caused from his lack of help

But everybody wants or thinks their team is going to get Trevor Lawrence, (and the constantly cries for him for a lot of different fanbases is a bit much.) We'll see how that works out. Wherever he's drafted it's more than likely going to be a bad team and he will asked to overcome a lot. And it may not be as easy as people think it will be for him.

Minshew has been exposed I believe.

There are 3 types of QBs when pressured..

1. Those that see ghosts, lose their composure and throw mistake after mistake often leading to turnovers. Bortles..good example.
2. Those that over perceive the pressure, fail their reads, hold the ball too long causing the sack...Minshew
3. Franchise QB get the ball off quick and composed taking the hit but executing over and over.. Burrow

We have several rookie QBs and 2nd year QBs to compare Minshew against.

Tell me fellas you would rather have Minshew over the following right now:

Josh Allen
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

Not going into the QBs we passed on wasting time on Bortles. The above are just the QBs we passed on for Foles/Minshew.

I’m not saying a franchise QB will solve all of our problems (hello Bengals), but it certainly elevates the rest of the team.

(10-04-2020, 10:02 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 09:35 PM)Predator Wrote: In his 16th start in the NFL he throws over 350 yards, 2 TDs, 68% completion rate and a QR over 100.

We put up 429 yards of offense and scored 25 points. We had the lead at halftime.

We chose to receive after the coin toss so the Bengals get the ball first in the second half and they proceed to march right down the field for a TD. They follow that up by continuing to score on every single possession in the second half except for the victory formation final possession.

I agree with your statement.  He is not the problem.  But I have my doubts he is the long-term solution.  This season is basically a rehearsal on tape for Minshew directed at the next GM-HC regime to decide if they want to use a Top 5 Draft pick on a QB.

Lol, what gives you the idea that the current GM and HC won't be here next year? Their seats aren't even room temperature.

(10-04-2020, 10:35 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Minshew has been exposed I believe.

1. Those that see ghosts, lose their composure and throw mistake after mistake often leading to turnovers. Bortles..good example.
2. Those that over perceive the pressure, fail their reads, hold the ball too long causing the sack...Minshew
3. Franchise QB get the ball off quick and composed taking the hit but executing over and over.. Burrow

Josh Allen
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

Not going into the QBs we passed on wasting time on Bortles. The above are just the QBs we passed on for Foles/Minshew.

I’m not saying a franchise QB will solve all of our problems (hello Bengals), but it certainly elevates the rest of the team.

We passed on the guy chosen first overall in two consecutive drafts? Damn, someone should fire Caldwell.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Sorry guys but that first TD to Chark was an awful throw. There was no one even close to either Gardner or Chark and a simple pitch and catch TD turned into a needlessly floated wobbler that Chark had to make an impressive toe drag to haul in. Don't give him props for that.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 10:43 PM by Predator.)

(10-04-2020, 09:46 PM)Corriewf Wrote:

I hear ya, but statistics don’t tell the whole story. Look at Bortles numbers from 2015-2017.... If you watched the game closely you could see Minshew looked panicked the entire game.

Bortles was an inaccurate pick six turnover machine. Minshew already shown more composure and control of the offense than Bortles ever had in his entire career. The game Minshew had today would be considered a great game for Bortles.

I watched him. He didn't look scared he looked rushed because are pass blocking wasn't good at all today. If our defense could play like a mediocre defense in the second half and got a couple of stops, we would probably have easily won and everyone would be talking about what a great game Minshew had.

(10-04-2020, 10:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:02 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I agree with your statement.  He is not the problem.  But I have my doubts he is the long-term solution.  This season is basically a rehearsal on tape for Minshew directed at the next GM-HC regime to decide if they want to use a Top 5 Draft pick on a QB.

Lol, what gives you the idea that the current GM and HC won't be here next year? Their seats aren't even room temperature.

Josh Allen
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

We passed on the guy chosen first overall in two consecutive drafts? Damn, someone should fire Caldwell.

I think you misunderstood my point. I am not talking in retrospect trading up to get one of those guys. I like Minshew and I am glad he is still getting his shot. My point was to compare and forward thinking pick one next draft if Minshew continues to perform as he has. My gut and eyes tell me he’s not the guy. I hate saying, but it is what it is.

Josh Allen
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

Two of those guys were #1 overall picks and the other two were 6th and 7th overall.. They were all taken before we were even on the clock.. A lot of people were calling Allen a bust after his rookie season as well. We didn't pass on any of them.

Josh Allen
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

They all have talent, but I still like Gardner, and think he is a good fit for the Jags. But I understand that some people will prefer some QB's to Gardner. Especially ones that are playing really well like Josh Allen right now. But I still believe in Gardner and believe he can be a franchise guy. Especially if the team (like the defense) gets better.

And I will ask these questions, how many of the QB's you listed (as well as other young QB's) would have a better record with this version of the Jags than Gardner does? Possibly Josh and Kyler. I don't think know that Joe or Justin would have a better record than Gardner does. (Though, I have been impressed by both of them). Granted, the Bengals are bad, but the Chargers have a better coach and defense IMO than the Jags and they have the same amount of wins as the Jags. And Justin technically hasn't won anything yet. (Tyrod won that first game).

And How would Gardner look on the Chargers or the Cardinals? The Chargers might have more wins with him.

(10-04-2020, 10:42 PM)Upper Wrote: Sorry guys but that first TD to Chark was an awful throw. There was no one even close to either Gardner or Chark and a simple pitch and catch TD turned into a needlessly floated wobbler that Chark had to make an impressive toe drag to haul in. Don't give him props for that.

Aaron rodgers throws that one on a rope, shooting across the tv screen.

(10-04-2020, 10:57 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Josh Allen
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

Two of those guys were #1 overall picks and the other two were 6th and 7th overall.. They were all taken before we were even on the clock.. A lot of people were calling Allen a bust after his rookie season as well. We didn't pass on any of them.

I also remember people talking poorly about Josh Allen (including sports analysts). They were saying stuff like he was raw and a "project". Heck, even in last year's playoff game against the Texans people were questioning his decision making. Granted, he's come into his own, but people definitely weren't that high on him at first. Fortunately, for him he was given enough support and some more time to develop and he's doing well now.

(10-04-2020, 10:42 PM)Upper Wrote: Sorry guys but that first TD to Chark was an awful throw. There was no one even close to either Gardner or Chark and a simple pitch and catch TD turned into a needlessly floated wobbler that Chark had to make an impressive toe drag to haul in. Don't give him props for that.

So your criticism is that he almost didn't throw the pass to a spot where the receiver could get his feet down. That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

He put it in a perfect position in bounds to allow Chark to make a play and it must be your eyes wobbling because he threw a solid spiral. Making sure to get your feet in bounds is what receivers are paid to do.

The best QBs in history have made a living throwing passes that require their receivers to make a good play to stay in bounds or overcome a defender that has blanket coverage.

(10-04-2020, 11:00 PM)mal234 Wrote:

Josh Allen
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

They all have talent, but I still like Gardner, and think he is a good fit for the Jags. But I understand that some people will prefer some QB's to Gardner. Especially ones that are playing really well like Josh Allen right now. But I still believe in Gardner and believe he can be a franchise guy. Especially if the team (like the defense) gets better.

And I will ask these questions, how many of the QB's you listed (as well as other young QB's) would have a better record with this version of the Jags than Gardner does? Possibly Josh and Kyler. I don't think know that Joe or Justin would have a better record than Gardner does. (Though, I have been impressed by both of them). Granted, the Bengals are bad, but the Chargers have a better coach and defense IMO than the Jags and they have the same amount of wins as the Jags. And Justin technically hasn't won anything yet. (Tyrod won that first game).

And How would Gardner look on the Chargers or the Cardinals? The Chargers might have more wins with him.

Sadly, with this defense and Wash at the helm, I’m not even watching for wins anymore. I had high hopes before the Miami game, but now they can lose the rest of this season for all I care. It might actually be the best thing we could do is lose and wipe the slate clean of this coaching staff. 

My primary focus this season is watching our offense. If these past two games looked like the Titans game I would still be on the Minshew train. 

I don’t expect any of those listed QBs to be here and turning these loses into wins. We need a better defense. 

What has me pumping the brakes on Minshew is the poor defenses we just faced and Minshew looking completely shaken from the beginning of the game. I don’t question is football IQ, but it seems like he’s overthinking or too much in his own head. In his second year he shouldn’t be playing like he played in London last year...yet here we are.

Minshew has the tools. He's made some great plays that show tremendous promise. It's only year two, and we could draft a guy in the first round for the next 5 years and still not find someone that can ball like he can. He's also a great kid.

Our defense ain't there. We're going to lose a LOT of games because we are about to set new records for being awful. There were times today I didn't even know who the players actually were. As Vic used to say: "Help is not on the way."

I believe that we should ALL be praying that 15 works out. We have serious holes to fill on defense ... like every position except Allen and Chaisson ®. If Minshew pans out it's a huge win.
You're Welcome.

(10-04-2020, 11:08 PM)Predator Wrote:

So your criticism is that he almost didn't throw the pass to a spot where the receiver could get his feet down. That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

He put it in a perfect position in bounds to allow Chark to make a play and it must be your eyes wobbling because he threw a solid spiral. Making sure to get your feet in bounds is what receivers are paid to do.

The best QBs in history have made a living throwing passes that require their receivers to make a good play to stay in bounds or overcome a defender that has blanket coverage.

Nope no spinning, it should have been one of the easiest TDs of Minshew's career and instead he forced Chark to make a semi highlight reel catch.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 11:26 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-04-2020, 09:46 PM)Corriewf Wrote:

I hear ya, but statistics don’t tell the whole story. Look at Bortles numbers from 2015-2017.... If you watched the game closely you could see Minshew looked panicked the entire game.

I hate to say it, but I agree. He got happy feet, held the ball too long and took unnecessary sacks when he should've thrown the ball out of bounds.

(10-04-2020, 10:43 PM)Predator Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 09:46 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I hear ya, but statistics don’t tell the whole story. Look at Bortles numbers from 2015-2017.... If you watched the game closely you could see Minshew looked panicked the entire game.

Bortles was an inaccurate pick six turnover machine. Minshew already shown more composure and control of the offense than Bortles ever had in his entire career. The game Minshew had today would be considered a great game for Bortles.

I watched him. He didn't look scared he looked rushed because are pass blocking wasn't good at all today. If our defense could play like a mediocre defense in the second half and got a couple of stops, we would probably have easily won and everyone would be talking about what a great game Minshew had.

Your setting the bar awfully low.

(10-04-2020, 11:06 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:57 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Two of those guys were #1 overall picks and the other two were 6th and 7th overall.. They were all taken before we were even on the clock.. A lot of people were calling Allen a bust after his rookie season as well. We didn't pass on any of them.

I also remember people talking poorly about Josh Allen (including sports analysts). They were saying stuff like he was raw and a "project". Heck, even in last year's playoff game against the Texans people were questioning his decision making. Granted, he's come into his own, but people definitely weren't that high on him at first. Fortunately, for him he was given enough support and some more time to develop and he's doing well now.

Yup, sometimes players simply need time to develop.

Today was Minshew's 16th game started (17th played). So going by that you can say he just finished his first full season game wise. His numbers are 391-617 for 4409 passing yards, 29 TDs, 10 INTs with a 7-10 record. I counted the loss from week 1 last season, because I included his stats from that game as well. Even though he didn't start, but pretty much played the entire game.

After some of the [BLEEP] show QB play this team has had to deal with. There shouldn't be a single person in this fan base that wouldn't be very excited about their QB after a first year like that. Especially when there's a lot of people who think the team is void of talent. And this isn't the case of garbage time stats like Bortles' 4.4k yards and 35 TD season. These games are actually competitive (besides the Defense this season) and typically are coming right down to the final minutes of the games.

(10-04-2020, 11:34 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:06 PM)mal234 Wrote: I also remember people talking poorly about Josh Allen (including sports analysts). They were saying stuff like he was raw and a "project". Heck, even in last year's playoff game against the Texans people were questioning his decision making. Granted, he's come into his own, but people definitely weren't that high on him at first. Fortunately, for him he was given enough support and some more time to develop and he's doing well now.

Today was Minshew's 16th game started (17th played). So going by that you can say he just finished his first full season game wise. His numbers are 391-617 for 4409 passing yards, 29 TDs, 10 INTs with a 7-10 record. I counted the loss from week 1 last season, because I included his stats from that game as well. Even though he didn't start, but pretty much played the entire game.

After some of the [BLEEP] show QB play this team has had to deal with. There shouldn't be a single person in this fan base that wouldn't be very excited about their QB after a first year like that. Especially when there's a lot of people who think the team is void of talent. And this isn't the case of garbage time stats like Bortles' 4.4k yards and 35 TD season. These games are actually competitive (besides the Defense this season) and typically are coming right down to the final minutes of the games.

It’s was 28 - 7 by the end of the 3rd quarter vs Miami...it was 27 - 13 today against the Bengals at the end of the 3rd quarter. 

A two plus score lead going into the 4th quarter is certainly indicative of garbage time stats...

(10-04-2020, 11:34 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:06 PM)mal234 Wrote: I also remember people talking poorly about Josh Allen (including sports analysts). They were saying stuff like he was raw and a "project". Heck, even in last year's playoff game against the Texans people were questioning his decision making. Granted, he's come into his own, but people definitely weren't that high on him at first. Fortunately, for him he was given enough support and some more time to develop and he's doing well now.

Yeah, I think overall he's done a nice job so far. Especially considering the problems with this team. And his record would be even better overall and this season if the defense was even halfway decent in most of these games. If they were I think that the Jags would have beat the Bengals today and maybe even Miami. At worst they would be .500, but maybe be like 3-1. I'm disappointed with the way that the defense has played but I continue to enjoy watching Gardner and the offense. I hope they can scrape together some more wins this season.