Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(10-28-2020, 07:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 06:31 AM)copycat Wrote: No need to change the political system.  We need to enact just one law/amendment to the constitution.  No riders, no add ons and every bill coming to the floor for a vote deals with a single issue.  This would fix everything wrong in our government.

It would also slow it to a crawl.

So indistinguishable from our present system?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-28-2020, 07:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 06:31 AM)copycat Wrote: No need to change the political system.  We need to enact just one law/amendment to the constitution.  No riders, no add ons and every bill coming to the floor for a vote deals with a single issue.  This would fix everything wrong in our government.

It would also slow it to a crawl.

That would be a good thing.  No pork packed, kick back laden bills.  No quid pro quo and hiding behind how you voted Because in order to get this I had to give them that.  Lobbyists would dry up and blow away, and politicians would not become millionaires in 4 years making 175k a year.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(10-28-2020, 08:22 AM)copycat Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 07:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It would also slow it to a crawl.

That would be a good thing.  No pork packed, kick back laden bills.  No quid pro quo and hiding behind how you voted Because in order to get this I had to give them that.  Lobbyists would dry up and blow away, and politicians would not become millionaires in 4 years making 175k a year.

I know it sounds ideal but it’s completely impractical. Conducting legislation for a country of this size and complexity is a commodity business if anything is to get done.

(10-28-2020, 09:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 08:22 AM)copycat Wrote: That would be a good thing.  No pork packed, kick back laden bills.  No quid pro quo and hiding behind how you voted Because in order to get this I had to give them that.  Lobbyists would dry up and blow away, and politicians would not become millionaires in 4 years making 175k a year.

I know it sounds ideal but it’s completely impractical. Conducting legislation for a country of this size and complexity is a commodity business if anything is to get done.

Agreed it isn't practical, specially for the larger bills, but it definitely would help. They either need to allow line by line voting or force them to vote 1 bill at a time.

They are there to serve the public, they currently don't do anything. They have staff write the bills and do all their research, they really do nothing but get on tv and talk. If they have to actually spend a bunch of time voting, maybe it will cut down on the lobbying time. You could also limit the safe size allowed, but then I'm sure they would outsource everything to the lobbyist then.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020, 12:18 PM by mikesez.)

(10-28-2020, 06:31 AM)copycat Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 10:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: because the political machine rewards trolling rather than competence.
We need to change our voting systems, to reward candidates who run positive campaigns and mute the people on the fringes of commentary.
Other countries have politicians that actually try to govern while they have power, rather than being in a permanent campaign.

No need to change the political system.  We need to enact just one law/amendment to the constitution.  No riders, no add ons and every bill coming to the floor for a vote deals with a single issue.  This would fix everything wrong in our government.

And if they violate this single subject requirement, who stops them? Who says "you can't do that"?

(10-28-2020, 10:20 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 09:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I know it sounds ideal but it’s completely impractical. Conducting legislation for a country of this size and complexity is a commodity business if anything is to get done.

Agreed it isn't practical, specially for the larger bills, but it definitely would help. They either need to allow line by line voting or force them to vote 1 bill at a time.

They are there to serve the public, they currently don't do anything. They have staff write the bills and do all their research, they really do nothing but get on tv and talk. If they have to actually spend a bunch of time voting, maybe it will cut down on the lobbying time. You could also limit the safe size allowed, but then I'm sure they would outsource everything to the lobbyist then.

You're pointing at the right symptoms, but your treatment plan is bizarre and frankly unenforceable.

If you just go to ranked choice voting, or approval voting, that's enough to break the cycle of negative campaigning. and if you break the cycle, the people we elect will actually stick their necks out and do the right thing once in awhile
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-28-2020, 06:55 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Anyone, and I mean anyone who blames Trump for even a single Covid related death is an utter moron. It's that simple.

This is the one death that I find it hard to believe Trump is responsible for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fr...allergist)

Born: Alfred William Frankland  19 March 1912
Battle, Sussex, England

Died:  2 April 2020 (aged 108)
London, England
Nationality: British

[Image: 220px-Dr_Bill_Frankland.jpg]

Rules for holiday gatherings in California:

SACRAMENTO (CBSLA) – New social distancing guidelines released by the state of California are prohibiting gatherings that include more than three households at any time.

Under the Oct. 9 document from California Department of Public Health entitled “Mandatory Requirements for All Gatherings”, all private gatherings must limit the number of attendees and are required to be held outside.

Attendees may go inside to use restrooms as long as the restrooms are frequently sanitized, according to the document.

Also, officials are urging the host of any gathering to “collect names of all attendees and contact information in case contact tracing is needed later.”

Multiple gatherings of three households are not allowed to occur in the same public park or other outdoor space at the same time, officials say.

The document also states that seating at such gatherings must be at least 6 feet of distance in all directions between different households.

Barring any “applicable” exemptions, the state guidelines also mandate face coverings to be worn at all times except when eating or drinking “as long as they stay at least 6 feet away from everyone outside their own household, and put their face covering back on as soon as they are done with the activity.”

Gatherings should also be limited to two hours or less, according to officials.

The document also states that singing, chanting and shouting at outdoor gatherings are “strongly discouraged” due to a higher risk of COVID-19 transmission. Officials say anyone singing or chanting should wear a face covering at all times and maintain physical distancing beyond 6 feet to further reduce risk.

Officials also highlighted the volume of such activities, saying “singing or chanting are strongly encouraged to do so quietly (at or below the volume of a normal speaking voice)”.

While instrumental music is allowed, the document says, musicians must maintain physical distancing and are “strongly discouraged” from playing wind instruments such as a trumpet or clarinet...

Thank goodness farting is still on the table in California

(10-29-2020, 01:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Rules for holiday gatherings in California:

SACRAMENTO (CBSLA) – New social distancing guidelines released by the state of California are prohibiting gatherings that include more than three households at any time.

Under the Oct. 9 document from California Department of Public Health entitled “Mandatory Requirements for All Gatherings”, all private gatherings must limit the number of attendees and are required to be held outside.

Attendees may go inside to use restrooms as long as the restrooms are frequently sanitized, according to the document.

Also, officials are urging the host of any gathering to “collect names of all attendees and contact information in case contact tracing is needed later.”

Multiple gatherings of three households are not allowed to occur in the same public park or other outdoor space at the same time, officials say.

The document also states that seating at such gatherings must be at least 6 feet of distance in all directions between different households.

Barring any “applicable” exemptions, the state guidelines also mandate face coverings to be worn at all times except when eating or drinking “as long as they stay at least 6 feet away from everyone outside their own household, and put their face covering back on as soon as they are done with the activity.”

The document also states that singing, chanting and shouting at outdoor gatherings are “strongly discouraged” due to a higher risk of COVID-19 transmission. Officials say anyone singing or chanting should wear a face covering at all times and maintain physical distancing beyond 6 feet to further reduce risk.

Officials also highlighted the volume of such activities, saying “singing or chanting are strongly encouraged to do so quietly (at or below the volume of a normal speaking voice)”.

While instrumental music is allowed, the document says, musicians must maintain physical distancing and are “strongly discouraged” from playing wind instruments such as a trumpet or clarinet...
Yet yelling, singing, and chanting at a protest is fine?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(10-29-2020, 09:58 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Thank goodness farting is still on the table in California

Cow farts today, ours tomorrow, beware.

(10-30-2020, 12:08 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 01:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Rules for holiday gatherings in California:

Yet yelling, singing, and chanting at a protest is fine?

That depends on the gathering. If it’s Trump related then it’s a super spreader event.
If it involves assaulting the police, looting, rioting and burning, then exposure is minimal. Follow the science.

(10-30-2020, 06:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 12:08 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Yet yelling, singing, and chanting at a protest is fine?

That depends on the gathering. If it’s Trump related then it’s a super spreader event.
If it involves assaulting the police, looting, rioting and burning, then exposure is minimal. Follow the science.

Exactly
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

When we decided to cede our liberty to the state for false protection from a respiratory virus, we took another giant leap toward fascism.

(10-31-2020, 06:45 PM)jj82284 Wrote: When we decided to cede our liberty to the state for false protection from a respiratory virus, we took another giant leap toward fascism.

+1
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

So we in the UK are going back into lockdown on Thursday. Our buffoon of a PM has announced a 4 week lockdown yesterday from 5th November to 2nd December. Yet already today theyve said that it may be longer. Our numbers are getting worse than the first wave but we still have no plan or strategy.

So only essential shops open but we are keeping schools and universities open even though they are behind the rise in cases. We spent £12 billion on a track and trace system that doesnt work and is only contacting 35% of cases. Still no airport testing. Absolute joke.

(11-01-2020, 01:25 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So we in the UK are going back into lockdown on Thursday. Our buffoon of a PM has announced a 4 week lockdown yesterday from 5th November to 2nd December. Yet already today theyve said that it may be longer. Our numbers are getting worse than the first wave but we still have no plan or strategy.

So only essential shops open but we are keeping schools and universities open even though they are behind the rise in cases. We spent £12 billion on a track and trace system that doesnt work and is only contacting 35% of cases. Still no airport testing. Absolute joke.

Why wait until Thursday? Must not be that serious.

(11-01-2020, 01:36 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-01-2020, 01:25 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So we in the UK are going back into lockdown on Thursday. Our buffoon of a PM has announced a 4 week lockdown yesterday from 5th November to 2nd December. Yet already today theyve said that it may be longer. Our numbers are getting worse than the first wave but we still have no plan or strategy.

Why wait until Thursday? Must not be that serious.

Again, a question we have all been asking. I think they need to have the new rules voted on in parliament but they have the power to do it already.

(11-01-2020, 01:44 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(11-01-2020, 01:36 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why wait until Thursday? Must not be that serious.

Again, a question we have all been asking. I think they need to have the new rules voted on in parliament but they have the power to do it already.

Do you guys have any elections coming up or any advantage to politicizing the virus like they are doing here?

(11-01-2020, 01:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-01-2020, 01:44 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Again, a question we have all been asking. I think they need to have the new rules voted on in parliament but they have the power to do it already.

Do you guys have any elections coming up or any advantage to politicizing the virus like they are doing here?

No we had an election last December. Still got to sort the Brexit deal with the EU out. The deadline was June then September, then October and apparently now November. 

The Conservatives are in power here but the new Labour leader called for a 2 week lockdown like a month ago and was called an idiot and now that's what we are doing so I expect it to start anytime now.

(10-31-2020, 06:45 PM)jj82284 Wrote: When we decided to cede our liberty to the state for false protection from a respiratory virus, we took another giant leap toward fascism.

I guess your boy failed to make America great again. 
Or, maybe, trying slow down a public health crisis doesn't make you as bad as Mussolini. 
Of course, both could be true.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.