Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida minimum wage increase passes

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 03:42 PM by mal234.)

(11-04-2020, 01:09 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s so unfair how the left has sold this younger generation on the minimum wage being a living wage. It was never intended for that. 

https://www.news4jax.com/vote-2020/2020/...4b9d93da42

Now N4J is profiling a woman who has 5 (Five) kids aged 1 to 14 and works fast food counters. She’s happy about the increase but the cold hard reality of it is, as commented below, she will be replaced by a kiosk. 

Better learn to code, girl, and keep your legs closed.

I don't know how someone working at a fast food place can stay a cashier for more than a year. She can't advance past an order taker? She is working at both McDonalds and BK is still a cashier? That is a temp job, not a job to live on. It is a part-time job. Like you said, stop having kids when you make minimum wage.
She could apply/try to move up through management. I worked at places like Mcdonalds/Dominoes when I was younger.
Back then a store/General manager could make anywhere from like $40,000 to $75, 000 (maybe more) depending on restaurant/location/success of it. 

And this was years ago, maybe it's more now. It might take her a while to get there but I have also seen people advance to these positions relativley quickly including young people. 
(11-04-2020, 02:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: This makes me think about my young kids. My first job was a bus boy at a restaurant at 15, then I went on to several other jobs like that during college. I will never let my kids not work. I think it is important for kids to be put in the environment of "minimum wage" so they always have a reference back to what they should never want to do with their life.

Having said that, if these non-skilled jobs are treated as living wage jobs, what jobs are available to my children when they turn 16?

Yeah I worked these jobs during those years too. Some of the hardest people Ive seen are teens/college kids. One reason because they are balancing work and often times going to school full time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-04-2020, 10:59 AM)EricC85 Wrote: This is horrible news, Florida is headed down the Oregon, California, Ne York path on labor cost. Say goodbye to entry level jobs in the sunshine state and hello to increase work demands for those commanding wages worth at least $15

I’m probably going to loose at least 3 workers over this, two of them are not going to be ok with all the sudden making minimum wage when they were making $7-$8 more an hour over minimum wage and the the other isn’t worth $15 an hour as an a tire breaker lube tech.

When the minimum wage is raised, all it does is make inflation go up. Products we buy go higher and everyone pays for it in the end. It's a vicious cycle that makes no sense.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 03:52 PM by mikesez.)

(11-04-2020, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s so unfair how the left has sold this younger generation on the minimum wage being a living wage. It was never intended for that. 

https://www.news4jax.com/vote-2020/2020/...4b9d93da42

Now N4J is profiling a woman who has 5 (Five) kids aged 1 to 14 and works fast food counters. She’s happy about the increase but the cold hard reality of it is, as commented below, she will be replaced by a kiosk. 

Better learn to code, girl, and keep your legs closed.

Articles like this really tick me off.
Now, I have all the sympathy in the world for the lady.  I'm sure her life is hard.  I would like to make her life easier.
But we can be fairly certain she's getting the EITC along with many other means tested benefits.
And those benefits probably mostly evaporate if her earned income goes to $15/hr.
And the article doesn't mention that.
The woman probably is pretty close to financial stability, and taxpayer money made up the difference.
The choice for voters wasn't "do something for this lady, or do nothing for her."
It was "you're already doing something for her.  Do you want to try to transfer that liability to her employer instead of the government?"
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

My first job was at Kroger grocery as a bag boy when I was in high school. I made .10 cents over minimum wage, which at the time was $4.35 an hour. I remember when I left that job and felt so good when I made $6.00 and hour as the minimum wage increased. Nothing changed though, because the price of everything went up as the minimum wage increased. I was still as broke as I was making $4.35 an hour.

Welcome to the club boys!

(11-04-2020, 05:25 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Welcome to the club boys!

Lol never thought I’d see the day but here we are! Honest question with the wage demands over there in California how much more do the trade workers command?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(11-04-2020, 05:39 PM)EricC85 Wrote:

Lol never thought I’d see the day but here we are! Honest question with the wage demands over there in California how much more do the trade workers command?

You work for a franchise that we’ve all heard of before, is that correct?   Even if not, I’m sure your costs for parts and such will increase.  Labor costs increase.  Your prices will increase.  I personally am trying to find a plus side to this.  Since the cost of everything will increase, it will have to be passed down to the buyer.  My overhead is pretty low.  My employees already make 15-20.  But that’s only because I hire the best people.  I’m not the “straight outta prison” lawn company.  I haven’t found out (after 1 day) how to play it.  It’ll work out.  Those wanting the increase now will still be in their same situation when it’s 15/hr.  All in all, yeah 15/hr min is just stupid.  But we have stupid voters.  We’ll get over it.

(11-04-2020, 08:40 PM)Jags Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 05:39 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Lol never thought I’d see the day but here we are! Honest question with the wage demands over there in California how much more do the trade workers command?

You work for a franchise that we’ve all heard of before, is that correct?   Even if not, I’m sure your costs for parts and such will increase.  Labor costs increase.  Your prices will increase.  I personally am trying to find a plus side to this.  Since the cost of everything will increase, it will have to be passed down to the buyer.  My overhead is pretty low.  My employees already make 15-20.  But that’s only because I hire the best people.  I’m not the “straight outta prison” lawn company.  I haven’t found out (after 1 day) how to play it.  It’ll work out.  Those wanting the increase now will still be in their same situation when it’s 15/hr.  All in all, yeah 15/hr min is just stupid.  But we have stupid voters.  We’ll get over it.

When 2026 rolls around there will be a $20 an hour referendum.

(11-04-2020, 12:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 12:26 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Here’s a scenario to put it in perspective. I pay entry level live guys $13 an hour starting out. It’s a physically demanding job long hours and lots of grunt work. Paying them $5 over minimum wage is fair it’s a start in a very good trade, if they stick with it they can grow to make a good living but I absolutely can’t pay them $15 and keep my labor cost the same. Now my mid level guys with experience already making $15-$17 an hour are going to be at near the same pay as fast food workers. If I can’t get corporate to give them significant increases they’re going to leave and I’ll have to hire their replacements at near $20 an hour. That kind of increase in labor cost is naturally going to influence what I have to charge for labor. How much probably looking at another $50-$75 an hour to keep the same profit margins(which are extremely low in our line of work already) a 1.5 million dollar shop will only be profitable by about 100k at the end of year.

That’s just the effects on your car repair multiply that to every aspect of your life.

Good point.  I didn't think about the domino effect of the person currently making $15 ultimately wanting $20 and so forth.

Yeah they never mention the fallout from the feel good policy implementation do they.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(11-04-2020, 08:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 08:40 PM)Jags Wrote: You work for a franchise that we’ve all heard of before, is that correct?   Even if not, I’m sure your costs for parts and such will increase.  Labor costs increase.  Your prices will increase.  I personally am trying to find a plus side to this.  Since the cost of everything will increase, it will have to be passed down to the buyer.  My overhead is pretty low.  My employees already make 15-20.  But that’s only because I hire the best people.  I’m not the “straight outta prison” lawn company.  I haven’t found out (after 1 day) how to play it.  It’ll work out.  Those wanting the increase now will still be in their same situation when it’s 15/hr.  All in all, yeah 15/hr min is just stupid.  But we have stupid voters.  We’ll get over it.

When 2026 rolls around there will be a $20 an hour referendum.

Why stop there?  Let’s make everyone millionaires.  Then we’d all have to strive to be billionaires.  Gas will be 30.00 a gallon.

(11-04-2020, 05:39 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Lol never thought I’d see the day but here we are! Honest question with the wage demands over there in California how much more do the trade workers command?

It goes up $1 per year for 5 years.  You have a lot of time to figure it out.

(11-04-2020, 09:00 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 08:40 PM)Jags Wrote: You work for a franchise that we’ve all heard of before, is that correct?   Even if not, I’m sure your costs for parts and such will increase.  Labor costs increase.  Your prices will increase.  I personally am trying to find a plus side to this.  Since the cost of everything will increase, it will have to be passed down to the buyer.  My overhead is pretty low.  My employees already make 15-20.  But that’s only because I hire the best people.  I’m not the “straight outta prison” lawn company.  I haven’t found out (after 1 day) how to play it.  It’ll work out.  Those wanting the increase now will still be in their same situation when it’s 15/hr.  All in all, yeah 15/hr min is just stupid.  But we have stupid voters.  We’ll get over it.

And the people seeking it will have as much time to improve their own lives.

Yes sir my current employer is one of the national brand tire shops so they’ve got stores in states with this kind of pay structure already. When I talk to my peers in those states that’s how it plays out, no entry level guys the now mid level guys have to do all of their work as well and then eventually they phase out all hourly techs and pay only flat rate techs.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(11-04-2020, 09:00 PM)mikesez Wrote:

As stated, I’m already at that or above that for the guys.  So, yeah...  it gives me five years to raise prices for the old rich and lazy.  Ok, scratch out old. I don’t want to abuse the old peeps.  Unless they are part of the rich.  Which in my area is hit or miss.  You get the point.

(11-04-2020, 09:09 PM)EricC85 Wrote:

Yes sir my current employer is one of the national brand tire shops so they’ve got stores in states with this kind of pay structure already. When I talk to my peers in those states that’s how it plays out, no entry level guys the now mid level guys have to do all of their work as well and then eventually they phase out all hourly techs and pay only flat rate techs.

I don't think I understand the difference between hourly techs and flat rate techs? Is it a part time/full time thing, or a salary / hourly thing?

(11-04-2020, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 09:09 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Yes sir my current employer is one of the national brand tire shops so they’ve got stores in states with this kind of pay structure already. When I talk to my peers in those states that’s how it plays out, no entry level guys the now mid level guys have to do all of their work as well and then eventually they phase out all hourly techs and pay only flat rate techs.

I don't think I understand the difference between hourly techs and flat rate techs? Is it a part time/full time thing, or a salary / hourly thing?

Hourly techs get paid by the hour, flat rate techs get paid by the job.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(11-04-2020, 09:09 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Yes sir my current employer is one of the national brand tire shops so they’ve got stores in states with this kind of pay structure already. When I talk to my peers in those states that’s how it plays out, no entry level guys the now mid level guys have to do all of their work as well and then eventually they phase out all hourly techs and pay only flat rate techs.

If your employer is a company like tire kingdom or tires plus where the workers do everything related to car repairs, then I do must admit that is not easy work.  Personally, if I were a 20 year old kid and I had a choice to make $15/hour under the hood of a car or $15/hour stocking shelves in the air conditioned Publix, I know which way I'm heading.  All things being equal very few people will choose manual labor, especially the TikToc generation.

Good Luck !!!

(11-04-2020, 09:36 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think I understand the difference between hourly techs and flat rate techs? Is it a part time/full time thing, or a salary / hourly thing?

Hourly techs get paid by the hour, flat rate techs get paid by the job.
See what that did to other installers and the quality of the work. They will turn down work if it is hard or do it poorly to move on to the next one. It leads to a lot of quality issues. There is no reason to ensure it is done right because if the job takes longer than the approved, paid time, you are losing money by taking the job.

It has killed manual labor jobs that people who wanted to work long hours could make a great living from.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(11-04-2020, 05:39 PM)EricC85 Wrote:

In my area we're still at a $12 minimum wage with $15 down the pipe. I'm not really sure I've noticed anything yet. 

But I'll say... I spend roughly $40k a year on labor and I'm working on replanting my entire operation in a more mechanized layout. I'll buy two two fairly expensive pieces of equipment but I'll be a labor force of 1. Hope those guys have prepared for retirement.

What's really weird is that California, a deep blue state, rejected a ballot measure that would have revived affirmative action, while Florida, which appears to now be a red state, passed the $15 minimum wage.