Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida minimum wage increase passes

This is horrible news, Florida is headed down the Oregon, California, Ne York path on labor cost. Say goodbye to entry level jobs in the sunshine state and hello to increase work demands for those commanding wages worth at least $15

I’m probably going to loose at least 3 workers over this, two of them are not going to be ok with all the sudden making minimum wage when they were making $7-$8 more an hour over minimum wage and the the other isn’t worth $15 an hour as an a tire breaker lube tech.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-04-2020, 10:59 AM)EricC85 Wrote: This is horrible news, Florida is headed down the Oregon, California, Ne York path on labor cost. Say goodbye to entry level jobs in the sunshine state and hello to increase work demands for those commanding wages worth at least $15

I’m probably going to loose at least 3 workers over this, two of them are not going to be ok with all the sudden making minimum wage when they were making $7-$8 more an hour over minimum wage and the the other isn’t worth $15 an hour as an a tire breaker lube tech.

Your job isn’t easy physically, either. I’m sure they’d much rather get an easy job making the same amount.

Isn't it only gradually going up

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 11:12 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Say HELLO to expedited entry level job automation. White Castle is already replacing cooks with robots.

Be careful what you wish for. You may just get it.

(11-04-2020, 11:09 AM)JackCity Wrote: Isn't it only gradually going up

Yes, so that means you businesses will only gradually increase the price of consumer goods.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 11:22 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

$1 per year up to 2026 then the CPI inflation factor kicks in for increases.

The amendment calls for the state to raise the minimum wage to $10.00 per hour effective Sept. 30, 2021.

Each Sept. 30 thereafter, minimum wage shall increase by $1.00 per hour until the minimum wage reaches $15.00 per hour on Sept. 30, 2026.

From that point forward, future minimum wage increases shall revert to being adjusted annually for inflation starting Sept. 30, 2027.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 12:27 PM by EricC85.)

Here’s a scenario to put it in perspective. I pay entry level live guys $13 an hour starting out. It’s a physically demanding job long hours and lots of grunt work. Paying them $5 over minimum wage is fair it’s a start in a very good trade, if they stick with it they can grow to make a good living but I absolutely can’t pay them $15 and keep my labor cost the same. Now my mid level guys with experience already making $15-$17 an hour are going to be at near the same pay as fast food workers. If I can’t get corporate to give them significant increases they’re going to leave and I’ll have to hire their replacements at near $20 an hour. That kind of increase in labor cost is naturally going to influence what I have to charge for labor. How much probably looking at another $50-$75 an hour to keep the same profit margins(which are extremely low in our line of work already) a 1.5 million dollar shop will only be profitable by about 100k at the end of year.

That’s just the effects on your car repair multiply that to every aspect of your life.

(11-04-2020, 11:09 AM)JackCity Wrote: Isn't it only gradually going up

$7 hourly over 5 years isn’t very gradual and That’s just the starting point

(11-04-2020, 12:26 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Here’s a scenario to put it in perspective. I pay entry level live guys $13 an hour starting out. It’s a physically demanding job long hours and lots of grunt work. Paying them $5 over minimum wage is fair it’s a start in a very good trade, if they stick with it they can grow to make a good living but I absolutely can’t pay them $15 and keep my labor cost the same. Now my mid level guys with experience already making $15-$17 an hour are going to be at near the same pay as fast food workers. If I can’t get corporate to give them significant increases they’re going to leave and I’ll have to hire their replacements at near $20 an hour. That kind of increase in labor cost is naturally going to influence what I have to charge for labor. How much probably looking at another $50-$75 an hour to keep the same profit margins(which are extremely low in our line of work already) a 1.5 million dollar shop will only be profitable by about 100k at the end of year.

That’s just the effects on your car repair multiply that to every aspect of your life.

Yep my pay now needs to increase. I'm no where near minimum wage, but you just raised the bottom so I need the same % increase.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 12:39 PM by EricC85.)

(11-04-2020, 12:28 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 12:26 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Here’s a scenario to put it in perspective. I pay entry level live guys $13 an hour starting out. It’s a physically demanding job long hours and lots of grunt work. Paying them $5 over minimum wage is fair it’s a start in a very good trade, if they stick with it they can grow to make a good living but I absolutely can’t pay them $15 and keep my labor cost the same. Now my mid level guys with experience already making $15-$17 an hour are going to be at near the same pay as fast food workers. If I can’t get corporate to give them significant increases they’re going to leave and I’ll have to hire their replacements at near $20 an hour. That kind of increase in labor cost is naturally going to influence what I have to charge for labor. How much probably looking at another $50-$75 an hour to keep the same profit margins(which are extremely low in our line of work already) a 1.5 million dollar shop will only be profitable by about 100k at the end of year.

Yep my pay now needs to increase. I'm no where near minimum wage, but you just raised the bottom so I need the same % increase.

That’s the crap part the law doesn’t require your pay to increase by the same amount over the minimum wage you make now. So your employer only has to make sure you make at least the minimum wage. Very likely you’ll be making minimum wage in 2026 when today you where making more than that with a lower cost of living. Workers making $10-$20 an hour today are the ones hurt the most by this new law.

Another way to look at the cost of this is in percentages. I’m salary I have a four year degree I’ve worked in my industry for 15 years and currently I’m a salary manager. That hard work and knowledge has afforded me a fair salary with my employer. But we just raised the cost of labor 44% over the next 5 years. I currently make a salary 75% above the minimum wage after this new wage goes into effect and the cost of living goes up in only going to make 66% over the minimum wage. Why do I take an 11% decrease in my pay above the wage floor after all the time and effort I’ve put into bettering my work? To hold the same percentage I will have to earn another 30k a year to stay 75% above the labor floor.

Good point.  I didn't think about the domino effect of the person currently making $15 ultimately wanting $20 and so forth.

(11-04-2020, 12:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Good point.  I didn't think about the domino effect of the person currently making $15 ultimately wanting $20 and so forth.

Your not alone most people support it thinking sure no one can live on $9 an hour but that’s not the point of minimum wages anyways. Sadly we just opened Pandora’s box I don’t see a way to but the genie back I. The bottle.

It’s so unfair how the left has sold this younger generation on the minimum wage being a living wage. It was never intended for that. 

https://www.news4jax.com/vote-2020/2020/...4b9d93da42

Now N4J is profiling a woman who has 5 (Five) kids aged 1 to 14 and works fast food counters. She’s happy about the increase but the cold hard reality of it is, as commented below, she will be replaced by a kiosk. 

Better learn to code, girl, and keep your legs closed.

Somewhere, Thomas sowell is having a stomach ache.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 01:07 PM by EricC85.)

(11-04-2020, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s so unfair how the left has sold this younger generation on the minimum wage being a living wage. It was never intended for that. 

Now N4J is profiling a woman who has 5 (Five) kids aged 1 to 14 and works fast food counters. She’s happy about the increase but the cold hard reality of it is, as commented below, she will be replaced by a kiosk. 

My heart goes out to people like her trying to raise a family on a fast food salary. If we really want to help people like her we’d focus on programs getting them some kind of marketable skill and off the entry level job. She doesn’t realize as her pay increases the cost of living is going to out pace her increases and she’s going to be far worse off in 5 years than today if she doesn’t change anything.

(11-04-2020, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s so unfair how the left has sold this younger generation on the minimum wage being a living wage. It was never intended for that. 

I don't know how someone working at a fast food place can stay a cashier for more than a year. She can't advance past an order taker? She is working at both McDonalds and BK is still a cashier? That is a temp job, not a job to live on. It is a part-time job. Like you said, stop having kids when you make minimum wage.

I'm very disappointed this passed as well, and I'm equally surprised considering overall the state was red.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 01:57 PM by mal234.)

(11-04-2020, 01:06 PM)EricC85 Wrote:

My heart goes out to people like her trying to raise a family on a fast food salary. If we really want to help people like her we’d focus on programs getting them some kind of marketable skill and off the entry level job. She doesn’t realize as her pay increases the cost of living is going to out pace her increases and she’s going to be far worse off in 5 years than today if she doesn’t change anything.

Yeah I have sympathy for a lot people in jobs like this. In a perfect world no one would work these jobs except for like teens/college kids or people who just wanted/needed to make a little money. (:I worked these types of jobs in High school and some in college).

Definitely not a grown person with five kids. This is one big reason why the loss of manufacturing jobs stink so much. They could provide people i cluding this lady with a livable wage, plus good benefits ,etc. Unfortunately, we've lost a lot of those jobs. And in a lot of areas (particularly small towns)
most of the work is restaurants/service jobs that don't pay well and can be dead end.

Every workee with 3 to 5 years experience just became entry level again
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This makes me think about my young kids. My first job was a bus boy at a restaurant at 15, then I went on to several other jobs like that during college. I will never let my kids not work. I think it is important for kids to be put in the environment of "minimum wage" so they always have a reference back to what they should never want to do with their life.

Having said that, if these non-skilled jobs are treated as living wage jobs, what jobs are available to my children when they turn 16?

(11-04-2020, 02:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: This makes me think about my young kids. My first job was a bus boy at a restaurant at 15, then I went on to several other jobs like that during college. I will never let my kids not work. I think it is important for kids to be put in the environment of "minimum wage" so they always have a reference back to what they should never want to do with their life.

Having said that, if these non-skilled jobs are treated as living wage jobs, what jobs are available to my children when they turn 16?

Kiosk coder.

(11-04-2020, 03:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 02:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: This makes me think about my young kids. My first job was a bus boy at a restaurant at 15, then I went on to several other jobs like that during college. I will never let my kids not work. I think it is important for kids to be put in the environment of "minimum wage" so they always have a reference back to what they should never want to do with their life.

Kiosk coder.

How long do you think until our government proposes a robot tax?