Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(11-16-2020, 10:44 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 12:14 AM)JNev Wrote: It’ll be fascinating to see where Lance gets drafted. I think the risk is too much for anyone to take him rd 1

I can see someone taking a flyer late in the first so they can have the 5th year option, a la Jordan Love this year, Lamar a few years back.

True. If you have an older, established franchise QB then you can afford to select a gable at the end of round 1. We don't have that luxury.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If Lance has a good predraft he is going to go very high. You can knock his competition, but there are a lot of bonafide franchise QBs that came from similar schools. You can knock that he only did it for one year, but that year happened and it was insanely impressive. His situation sounds a ton like the Mike Trout situation, "the competition in the northeast is so bad, he had so many rainouts that season we didn't get to scout him as much as we'd like."

He has the second best (and you could argue first best) tools in this draft, someone is going to gamble on that pretty darn early I bet as long as he doesn't blow the predraft, the combine/pro day/interviews matters more for him than probably any QB ever.

(11-15-2020, 03:48 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Is it 5 or 6 QBs going in the first?

TLaw

Lance

Fields

Trask

Wilson

Jones

I think how these guys all finish the season matters... And also how QB hungry enough teams are. Are there 6 teams in absolute need of a QB to draft one in the first round? Perhaps... Almost every year though there's a guy a lot of draftniks or armchair GMs think is a first rounder and he slides... Jackson and Love were both mocked higher than bottom first, Jackson was literally about to be second rounder before the Ravens traded back up (Teddy Bridgewater too with the Vikings iirc)

If I were a betting man I'd bet 5 first round QBs with one of those 6 (well... the 4 after TLaw and Fields really) getting taken at the top of 2 (Lance or Wilson maybe).

These guys aside from Lawrence, may not go in the order we think they will simply based on who is making the picks and how that QB might fit into the type of offense they intend to run. I mean Fields might be a great talent but if you as a GM value more traditional style of QB play, you may go with a Jones or Trask instead... I mean not saying it was the right choice, it definitely wasn't, but Trubisky went before Mahomes who went before Watson in a draft a lot of people thought Watson would be first QB taken.
Wilson is a QB some GM might find valuable because of how he plays above and beyond the "measurables". 

It'll be an interesting draft (and the rest of the college season leading up to it for sure)

And all the Trask doubters have me laughing. He may not have "elite" arm strength, but it's good enough for the NFL and he's going to be a very good QB in the NFL. He certainly has just about everything else from pocket poise to good mobility for a big QB, going through progressions, touch and accuracy... Lit up ArKansas without his best weapon in Pitts.

Tlaw
Fields
Wilson
Lance

Trask/Jones

Is how I'd say the draft goes if they all come out

(11-16-2020, 12:24 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 03:48 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Is it 5 or 6 QBs going in the first?

TLaw

Lance

Fields

Trask

Wilson

Jones

I think how these guys all finish the season matters... And also how QB hungry enough teams are. Are there 6 teams in absolute need of a QB to draft one in the first round? Perhaps... Almost every year though there's a guy a lot of draftniks or armchair GMs think is a first rounder and he slides... Jackson and Love were both mocked higher than bottom first, Jackson was literally about to be second rounder before the Ravens traded back up (Teddy Bridgewater too with the Vikings iirc)

If I were a betting man I'd bet 5 first round QBs with one of those 6 (well... the 4 after TLaw and Fields really) getting taken at the top of 2 (Lance or Wilson maybe).

These guys aside from Lawrence, may not go in the order we think they will simply based on who is making the picks and how that QB might fit into the type of offense they intend to run. I mean Fields might be a great talent but if you as a GM value more traditional style of QB play, you may go with a Jones or Trask instead... I mean not saying it was the right choice, it definitely wasn't, but Trubisky went before Mahomes who went before Watson in a draft a lot of people thought Watson would be first QB taken.
Wilson is a QB some GM might find valuable because of how he plays above and beyond the "measurables". 

It'll be an interesting draft (and the rest of the college season leading up to it for sure)

And all the Trask doubters have me laughing. He may not have "elite" arm strength, but it's good enough for the NFL and he's going to be a very good QB in the NFL. He certainly has just about everything else from pocket poise to good mobility for a big QB, going through progressions, touch and accuracy... Lit up ArKansas without his best weapon in Pitts.

Agreed 100%.  Still a lot of football left to determine where these guys will be drafted.  Its how you finish the season not how you start.

(11-16-2020, 12:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Tlaw
Fields
Wilson
Lance

Trask/Jones

Is how I'd say the draft goes if they all come out

I think this is the most likely order too.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2020, 08:19 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Ready to see the Heisman favorite pick apart another defense this week without Pitts

(11-17-2020, 08:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ready to see the Heisman favorite pick apart another defense this week without Pitts

It's Vandy week. Trask is only gonna play a half. Of course, he only needs a half to toss 4 or 5 TDs anyway.

(11-16-2020, 10:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 08:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I live in Ohio. I've watched every game Fields has started since coming to Columbus. He's on Network TV every week where I live, because Ohio State is the biggest college football team in Ohio. The problem is that Jaguars' fans are so desperate for a franchise QB and since we basically have no shot at Lawrence, (unless he refuses to go to the Jets,) that people are trying to make Fields into something he's not. He is an elite college QB, but the NFL isn't college. The skillset you have in college and the flaws that you are getting away with, simply because of athleticism aren't going to fly on the next level. Fields reminds me a lot of RG3. People overlooked his flaws and crowned him as an NFL superstar in the making and I didn't buy it. He had terrible mechanics, his receivers were running free and he never completed his progressions, because he had no pocket awareness and was too eager to run. He was an elite college player who's flaws became exposed in the NFL and he became nothing more than a backup. Maybe Fields would have one really good year in the NFL, before teams started to figure him out. That's how RG3 started and then things went downhill quickly. In any case, I see nothing from Fields that makes me believe he can be a franchise NFL QB. 

No. I base my evaluation on what I see now.

This is interesting because when I watched Fields against Penn State, it appeared to me that he didn't go through his progressions.  Additionally, when I watch highlights, it's kind of like watching Bama where the WRs have 10 yards separation on their defenders so it's really hard to gage whether he can fit it into the tight windows that the NFL has to offer.  Someone here mentioned getting the OL dude out of Oregon (Sewell) and Pitts (TE) with our two 1st rounds picks and that seems ideal if we can solidify the D in free agency and also land a veteran QB somewhere out there.  Conversely, Zach Wilson may be a good pick at #2 ----- We're so screwed ....
No doubt, the decision on who to draft in the first round will be difficult if the Jets lose out. The first step in making this work is firing Caldwell; anyone who drafted Bortles that high cannot be trusted in evaluating quarterbacks. Whoever replaces him needs to decide how much of a gap there is between their #2 guy (likely Fields) and the others. If the gap is not that big, taking Sewell would have to be strongly considered. That would need to be decided prior to free agency, because you can't pay Robinson all that money and move him to guard. The savings on Robinson could be used to add to the team's already large salary cap and sign someone like Justin Simmons. A secondary with Henderson, Jones, Simmons and possibly Daniel Thomas could be very solid for years to come. 

Drafting a generational tackle like Sewell isn't going to get the Jaguars back to playoff contention unless the new general manager takes the right quarterback. If they fall in love with Wilson, Jones or Trask, they can still trade up using the Rams pick and possibly a 2nd rounder to get that guy. Whatever they decide to do will likely determine the fate of this team (and our sad fanbase) for the next 5 years. Let's hope they finally get one right!

I wouldn't risk trading back. Whoever you think is the 2nd best QB take them at #2. If you think Wilson is then take him there. No sense getting cute and missing on all the top QBs

Personally i would take fields and trask/wilson/jones or whoever you like second best and is available. Better odds that one hits because we cant ever get just one right.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020, 11:11 AM by Kane.)

(11-19-2020, 09:38 PM)surfon Wrote: Personally i would take fields and trask/wilson/jones or whoever you like second best and is available.  Better odds that one hits because we cant ever get just one right.

Well... when the Skins did it with RG3 and Cousins, I thought it was crazy (and that was a 1st and a 3rd iirc) [but it kinda worked, sorta]
If we did it with two first round picks... well... we might break the internet.

But you might have a point. QB picks fail so often why not grab two and if both turn out to be good you got trade bait.

That being said, it won't happen, we have too many holes to fill and that's a strange gamble for a new GM (I hope) to make in year 1

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jus...-state-qbs

Good read for you don’t draft a QB from Ohio State guys.

(11-20-2020, 11:40 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jus...-state-qbs

Wow, Ohio State sure has had big-time busts at QB in the NFL. This article was very encouraging for Jaguar fans. This guy has done a very thorough evaluation of Fields and he clearly likes what he sees. Most draft "experts" seem to agree with him. It would be a shocker if the Jaguars don't take him if they end up in the number 2 spot.

(11-20-2020, 11:40 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jus...-state-qbs

It’s hilarious that people are using OSU as a negative for Fields and yet say nothing about Trask being from Florida....

(11-20-2020, 11:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

It’s hilarious that people are using OSU as a negative for Fields and yet say nothing about Trask being from Florida....

Nobody should ever use the school as a reason to not draft the guy. It just doesn't make sense. How many good QBs have come from University of Tenn? Or Texas Tech? Other than Stafford has UGA ever put out a decent NFL starter?

I've always said... draft the player not the school. This whole "such and such school doesn't produce good this position" is stupid.
Yet we hear it about all sorts of positions from people who don't like certain schools.
"Stop drafting defensive linemen from UF" Guess it happens when a fan base is scorned by a couple bad draft picks though.

Quite simply though... there isn't a single university that is a "NFL QB producer" because there just aren't that many really successful ones.

(11-20-2020, 12:25 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 11:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: It’s hilarious that people are using OSU as a negative for Fields and yet say nothing about Trask being from Florida....

Nobody should ever use the school as a reason to not draft the guy. It just doesn't make sense. How many good QBs have come from University of Tenn? Or Texas Tech? Other than Stafford has UGA ever put out a decent NFL starter?

I've always said... draft the player not the school. This whole "such and such school doesn't produce good this position" is stupid.
Yet we hear it about all sorts of positions from people who don't like certain schools.
"Stop drafting defensive linemen from UF" Guess it happens when a fan base is scorned by a couple bad draft picks though.

Quite simply though... there isn't a single university that is a "NFL QB producer" because there just aren't that many really successful ones.
Agreed.

(11-20-2020, 11:53 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Wow, Ohio State sure has had big-time busts at QB in the NFL. This article was very encouraging for Jaguar fans. This guy has done a very thorough evaluation of Fields and he clearly likes what he sees. Most draft "experts" seem to agree with him. It would be a shocker if the Jaguars don't take him if they end up in the number 2 spot.

Bite your tongue!

(11-20-2020, 04:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 11:53 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Wow, Ohio State sure has had big-time busts at QB in the NFL. This article was very encouraging for Jaguar fans. This guy has done a very thorough evaluation of Fields and he clearly likes what he sees. Most draft "experts" seem to agree with him. It would be a shocker if the Jaguars don't take him if they end up in the number 2 spot.

Bite your tongue!
Hopefully you’re wrong on this one!

First, I hope they get an offensive coach like Joe Brady. If they do that, adding Fields and Pitts to Chark/Robinson/Shenault would be INCREDIBLE.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020, 04:11 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-20-2020, 11:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Personally, when it comes to QB, I look at the individual. Not the school. I know Florida QB's have typically been a bust in the NFL, but Trask is unlike any Florida QB I have ever seen. Fields on the other hand, is just like the other Buckeye's QB's I've seen come out of Ohio State since Urban Meyer arrived and now it's carrying over to Ryan Day.

(11-20-2020, 04:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 04:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Bite your tongue!
Hopefully you’re wrong on this one!

First, I hope they get an offensive coach like Joe Brady. If they do that, adding Fields and Pitts to Chark/Robinson/Shenault would be INCREDIBLE.

Fields would never get them the ball unless they were running free like his receivers at Ohio State. Instead, he'd take off running like he always done when his first read is covered and a defender is within 20 feet of him. 

I would like a new, experienced O-Line coach. That would be a good first step to developing Lawrence, Trask or Mac Jones, whichever one we end up with.  Smile