Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2021 Free Agents- Who would you resign?

(11-19-2020, 07:55 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Cam should be resigned.  I would think it risky going into next season with a rookie LT. I do believe we need to invest in the big guys on both sides of the line...

Cam isn't good enough to command a big contract though, so it depends on what he will agree to. If we have a chance to get Sewell, he's a generational talent.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fun fact:

Resign ne re-sign
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-19-2020, 02:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:17 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: This^.  If we go for Sewell we do not re-sign Cam. If they go QB Cam gets re-signed. Cole is worth signing along with Jones. I'll pass on Shatley as there are plenty of centers to draft mid round. Westbrook's is good as gone IMO

As long as he doesn't want a big contract. He's not worth a big deal.
What do you consider a big contract? After reading the Keelan Cole thread you guys are severely under estimating the market price.
(11-19-2020, 03:33 PM)Upper Wrote: Guys there are more options at LT than Sewell or Cam. Just because we probably won't get Sewell means we need to lock up our bottom tier LT long term.
Elaborate further...
(11-19-2020, 04:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 03:33 PM)Upper Wrote: Guys there are more options at LT than Sewell or Cam. Just because we probably won't get Sewell means we need to lock up our bottom tier LT long term.

If we don't get Lawrence and we are sitting at #2, we better choose Sewell. He is by far, the #2 prospect in the entire draft by a wide margin. You just don't pass up that kind of a talent, especially when we have another first rounder to address the QB spot. With that said, if we somehow win another game or two and we no longer are in the area to draft Sewell, there is indeed another option at LT. My second favorite guy is Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. He did not allow a sack in 2019 and so far, has not given one up this season either. He is a solid run blocker as well, but his pass blocking is what stands out to me. He would be a very nice addition to our O-Line. I'm not very high on the rest of the OT's in this class though. They are a little raw and would require a bit of coaching, (which I really don't trust our current staff to do.) 

The free agent LT class is very weak as well. There really isn't anyone available in free agency who is that much better than Robinson. Trent Williams, Russell Okung and Alejandro Villanueva are the big name guys and they are all well over 30 and none are what they once were. I don't see any help at all in free agency. If we miss out on Sewell and Eichenberg, I really see no other good option to fill the LT spot other than re-signing Robinson to a short term, mid level contract. He may not be great, but he's certainly outplaying Jawaan Taylor. He's been a train wreck this season.

I wouldn't mind him with the Rams pick if we go QB. I don't see him making it to our second rounder. I agree with you on the slim pickings after that, I just think you should know we're going to have to pony up for Robinson. Cosmi is an intriguing prospect but he reminds me of the guy the Vikings drafted with their second rounder this year.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(11-19-2020, 04:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He may not be great, but he's certainly outplaying Jawaan Taylor. He's been a train wreck this season.

We don't have either franchise tackle, I agree. Maybe next time a lead footed tackle "falls" in the draft we should examine why they fell instead of just assuming everyone else misevaluated them and we got a steal in the 2nd round.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020, 11:55 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-19-2020, 11:13 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 02:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As long as he doesn't want a big contract. He's not worth a big deal.
What do you consider a big contract? After reading the Keelan Cole thread you guys are severely under estimating the market price.

(11-19-2020, 04:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we don't get Lawrence and we are sitting at #2, we better choose Sewell. He is by far, the #2 prospect in the entire draft by a wide margin. You just don't pass up that kind of a talent, especially when we have another first rounder to address the QB spot. With that said, if we somehow win another game or two and we no longer are in the area to draft Sewell, there is indeed another option at LT. My second favorite guy is Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. He did not allow a sack in 2019 and so far, has not given one up this season either. He is a solid run blocker as well, but his pass blocking is what stands out to me. He would be a very nice addition to our O-Line. I'm not very high on the rest of the OT's in this class though. They are a little raw and would require a bit of coaching, (which I really don't trust our current staff to do.) 

The free agent LT class is very weak as well. There really isn't anyone available in free agency who is that much better than Robinson. Trent Williams, Russell Okung and Alejandro Villanueva are the big name guys and they are all well over 30 and none are what they once were. I don't see any help at all in free agency. If we miss out on Sewell and Eichenberg, I really see no other good option to fill the LT spot other than re-signing Robinson to a short term, mid level contract. He may not be great, but he's certainly outplaying Jawaan Taylor. He's been a train wreck this season.

I wouldn't mind him with the Rams pick if we go QB. I don't see him making it to our second rounder. I agree with you on the slim pickings after that, I just think you should know we're going to have to pony up for Robinson. Cosmi is an intriguing prospect but he reminds me of the guy the Vikings drafted with their second rounder this year.

To me, I offer Cam a 3 year deal worth about $9.25 million per season. That would put him in the same category as what Chicago's starting LT, Charles Leno makes. I would consider him pretty close to being on the same level as Cam Robinson. 

Cosmi has upside, but he is a project, where as I see Eichenberg as a plug and play type LT. Cosmi tends to play a little upright and needs to add strength. He has problems with bull rushers as well. He's not the kind of rookie that you could just install at LT and he'll be good from day 1. He'll have some struggles and some days he may get thumped, but eventually I think he could be a good LT. It would just take time and who knows how long that may be?

(11-19-2020, 11:37 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 04:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He may not be great, but he's certainly outplaying Jawaan Taylor. He's been a train wreck this season.

We don't have either franchise tackle, I agree. Maybe next time a lead footed tackle "falls" in the draft we should examine why they fell instead of just assuming everyone else misevaluated them and we got a steal in the 2nd round.

Amen, brother! I thought Cam Robinson was a perfect fit at RT, but lacked the footwork to be a good LT. I just hated the Taylor pick altogether. I still think Cam should be moved to RT and we should cut ties with Taylor.

(11-19-2020, 11:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Amen, brother! I thought Cam Robinson was a perfect fit at RT, but lacked the footwork to be a good LT. I just hated the Taylor pick altogether. I still think Cam should be moved to RT and we should cut ties with Taylor.

RT isn't that different from LT anymore. Just as many elite pass rushers rush from that side nowadays. I think Cam and Taylor could be the answers at both guard spots though.

(11-19-2020, 10:18 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Fun fact:

Resign ne re-sign

@ok, J-dub@

Big Grin

(11-20-2020, 12:37 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 11:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Amen, brother! I thought Cam Robinson was a perfect fit at RT, but lacked the footwork to be a good LT. I just hated the Taylor pick altogether. I still think Cam should be moved to RT and we should cut ties with Taylor.

RT isn't that different from LT anymore. Just as many elite pass rushers rush from that side nowadays. I think Cam and Taylor could be the answers at both guard spots though.

Actually, Norwell has played pretty good this season. He's been much better than he was last season. I'm content to let him play out another year of his contract, if he keeps playing well. If we cut him at the end of the season though, it would save us about $9 million. If we wait until after the 2021 season to cut him, we save $13 million. He has a cap hit of $15 million in 2021 and $6 million of that would be dead money. In 2022, he has a cap hit of $16 million with only $3 million being in dead money.

Re sign Cole and Sidney Jones. Maybe franchise tag Cam. If Shat is willing to take another backup extension he's been a very solid swing backup to have.

That's about it.

(11-20-2020, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 12:37 AM)Upper Wrote: RT isn't that different from LT anymore. Just as many elite pass rushers rush from that side nowadays. I think Cam and Taylor could be the answers at both guard spots though.

Actually, Norwell has played pretty good this season. He's been much better than he was last season. I'm content to let him play out another year of his contract, if he keeps playing well. If we cut him at the end of the season though, it would save us about $9 million. If we wait until after the 2021 season to cut him, we save $13 million. He has a cap hit of $15 million in 2021 and $6 million of that would be dead money. In 2022, he has a cap hit of $16 million with only $3 million being in dead money.

Norwell is much improved this year, but he is not going to be on our next competitive team. Cam and Taylor could be if they're moved inside.

(11-20-2020, 02:12 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 10:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Actually, Norwell has played pretty good this season. He's been much better than he was last season. I'm content to let him play out another year of his contract, if he keeps playing well. If we cut him at the end of the season though, it would save us about $9 million. If we wait until after the 2021 season to cut him, we save $13 million. He has a cap hit of $15 million in 2021 and $6 million of that would be dead money. In 2022, he has a cap hit of $16 million with only $3 million being in dead money.

Norwell is much improved this year, but he is not going to be on our next competitive team. Cam and Taylor could be if they're moved inside.

Something needs to be done with Taylor. He's getting beaten consistently on the outside.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020, 04:17 PM by Kane.)

(11-20-2020, 04:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 02:12 PM)Upper Wrote: Norwell is much improved this year, but he is not going to be on our next competitive team. Cam and Taylor could be if they're moved inside.

Something needs to be done with Taylor. He's getting beaten consistently on the outside.

Taylor is only in his second year. I doubt he gets cut. Perhaps some moves can be made in the draft and/or free agency to bring in competition and either move him inside or to a back up role but I don't suspect there'll be massive change at OL next year.
Norwell costs too much to keep imo. I think he gets cut and Bartch takes over there. LT is the big question mark for me... whether we re-sign or tag Cam or dip into free agency or the draft...

You guys don't wanna bring back Cole ?!

(11-20-2020, 12:37 AM)Upper Wrote:

Its about protecting the blind side. If you are the Dolphins, RT is more important

Cole, Sidney Jones, and Maybe Smoot. The rest I would let walk. Cam Robinson is good enough for a 2nd contract but like every other player we try to re-sign, they are grossly overpaid and suck or walk and play well. All BecauseJagwads.

(11-20-2020, 04:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 02:12 PM)Upper Wrote: Norwell is much improved this year, but he is not going to be on our next competitive team. Cam and Taylor could be if they're moved inside.

He seems well suited to the usual "Well, we darfted you to be a tackle, you faceplanted, so how about a few years at Guard" type of guy.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 10:22 AM by MoJagFan.)

You know it all comes down to who is heading up the front office. This is all average talent.  Unfortunately one draft won't be enough again. This team is so darn broken.  The tackles are blah and the breakdowns occur way too often.

Edit

You know the big problem is this is a rudderless operation. No plans, no long term goals and scattershot drafting. And why is it we don't draft with the strength of the draft?  We are so needs based that we pass up players that could real fit in a long term plan.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 04:50 PM by ATLjag.)

Unfortunately, this team has so many holes, that signing a number of the free agents is required to not create additional holes. For performance reasons, I hope they are able to sign Keelan Cole on offense, and Sidney Jones, Josh Jones, and DJ Hayden on defense. If for a vet minimum and depth role, I would like to sign Chris Conley, James O'Shaughnessy, and Smoot. I have not been a Cam Robinson fan, and think he'll cost way too much to sign given his mediocre performance level.

(11-23-2020, 04:48 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Unfortunately, this team has so many holes, that signing a number of the free agents is required to not create additional holes.  For performance reasons, I hope they are able to sign Keelan Cole on offense, and Sidney Jones, Josh Jones, and DJ Hayden on defense.  If for a vet minimum and depth role, I would like to sign Chris Conley, James O'Shaughnessy, and Smoot.  I have not been a Cam Robinson fan, and think he'll cost way too much to sign given his mediocre performance level.

Wait... you want to give Chris Conley more money?

No thanks...

(11-23-2020, 04:48 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Unfortunately, this team has so many holes, that signing a number of the free agents is required to not create additional holes.  For performance reasons, I hope they are able to sign Keelan Cole on offense, and Sidney Jones, Josh Jones, and DJ Hayden on defense.  If for a vet minimum and depth role, I would like to sign Chris Conley, James O'Shaughnessy, and Smoot.  I have not been a Cam Robinson fan, and think he'll cost way too much to sign given his mediocre performance level.

I can't wait to see those two gone. They have been unmitigated disasters this season.