Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2021 Free Agents- Who would you resign?

So with this year already over, i was looking at who we have as free agebts this off season. Now our cap situation has completely flipped, no more paying QB's to play for other teams. So here are whos contracts are up on O

Cam Robinson, Keelan Cole, Conley, Shatley, O'Shaughnessy, Westbrook, Thompson and Glennon

On D

Hayden, Abry, Correa, Smoot, Gotsis, Sidney Jones, Josh Jones, Herndon

Now Cam and Hayden, maybe Keelan are the only starters that would need to be replaced. Cam has been hot and cold at LT, hes not the worst but how much do you pay him? Same with Hayden and Keelan. Sidney Jones is having a good year and i dont see too many other teams desperate for anyone else there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If we dont get Sewell we need to resign Cam. Cole and and Sidney Jones are the only 2 others. Shatley and Westbrook would be nice to bring back for depth

Sidney Jones is the only guy we'd potentially miss.

(11-18-2020, 10:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Sidney Jones is the only guy we'd potentially miss.

This
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020, 12:12 AM by navyjagfan.)

(11-18-2020, 11:51 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 10:06 PM)Upper Wrote: Sidney Jones is the only guy we'd potentially miss.

This

Agreed.  Everyone else is just a guy at best and we need a major infusion of actual talent. Cam Robinson is just plain not very good and could be replaced with one of the 2nd round picks. O'Shaunessy hasn't been the same since he tore his ACL and the entire group of TE's just plain sucks. Tyler Eifert, Andrew Norwell, etc. should also be cut to create additional cap space.

Cam Robinson, Keelan Cole, Conley, Shatley, O'Shaughnessy, Westbrook, Thompson and Glennon

On D

--------------------------
Cam, Keelan, Shatley and O'Shaun should be the only resigned on Offense. Sidney Jones & Smoot on Defense. anyone else, is either replaceable or makes no contribution to our game-day lineup. Shatley is just a depth guy... but a good one, and cheap so i included him.

Correa should be resigned. He's been contributing.

(11-18-2020, 10:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we dont get Sewell we need to resign Cam.  Cole and and Sidney Jones are the only 2 others.  Shatley and Westbrook would be nice to bring back for depth

The problem is that free agency is before the draft. We can of course see what is realistic and act on that. 

Agree that Cole and Jones should be signed. 

Wouldn't be against signing Shatley, Smoot or Gotsis, Herndon.

My top priority, as it is seemingly every 1-2 years, is re-signing Shatley. In a league where, seemingly, most offensive lineman aren't any good anymore, having a backup center who can come in consistently and not cause the line to completely implode is a luxury that no team can afford to give up.

I'd love to re-sign Cole, but I'm worried some team is going to vastly overpay him and try to make him a #1. I don't think he can handle that; I think he's best suited as a #2. So as much as I like him as a player, and as a person from what little I know (his backstory and his lack of publicly insulting or complaining about the team in his 4 years here), I don't think the Jags should get involved in a bidding war over Cole. If they can lock him up before anyone else gets to him on a deal that pays him like a #2, or even maybe a low-end #1 (just because of how much cap space the team has), I'd be for it.

I feel the same about Cam as I do Cole: I'm not sure he's worth the money he's going to command elsewhere. He's pretty streaky. But is there anybody better to replace him with? As I mentioned, offensive line play, in general, is pretty down throughout the league. I was open to the idea of moving Taylor to LT next season and trying Richardson/Smoothies/FA/Rookie at RT, but with how underwhelming Taylor's been, I'm not really comfortable with that idea anymore. If the team can wrangle Cam up with a front-loaded team friendly deal, I'd be happy to bring him back with a constant eye towards replacing him. But I'm not sure I want to pay him "starter LT on the FA market" money.

I don't think O'Shag has a role on the team next year, so as much as I like the guy, I'd let him walk.

On defense, the team needs to lock up Sidney Jones. I know he's got some injury concerns, but the team has the cap space to gamble on his health and his talent is too great to let walk, especially if just to create an unnecessary need on the team.

The only other two I value re-signing at all would be Smoot and Gotsis, but those are both only on fairly close to the minimum deals. Smoot just hasn't made consistent enough progress to be worth anything that would handcuff the Jags to him. If anything, there's a part of me that feels like had McCray not opted out this year, he'd probably have knocked Smoot back into irrelevancy this season. Gotsis is a veteran guy; he doesn't really make an impact--which means he's not a complete liability on the field, so if he wants to come back for cheap, I'd welcome it. Otherwise, I don't think the team will have too many issues replacing him.

If Herndon wants to come back on a one-year minimum deal to try to bet on himself, I guess I'd be open to that too. He's been pretty underwhelming this year, but he's still got speed.

Everyone else I think can be replaced for cheaper than what they'll command on the market.
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Gimme Cole and Shatley on O

And Smoot, Sidney Jones, and Herndon on D.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020, 03:39 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

My first priority is to re-sign Sidney Jones. After that, I re-sign Keelan Cole and probably Shatley. I offer Cam Robinson a modest contract with the understanding that he could be moved to either RT or RG, if we draft Sewell. I haven't been impressed at all by Jawaan Taylor. He's has allowed the 2nd most sacks of any starting OT in the league so far, with 6 and I'd be tempted to move Robinson to RT, while drafting Sewell to man the left side and bench Taylor. As for the rest of the list, I let them walk.

(11-19-2020, 03:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Gimme Cole and Shatley on O

Herndon flat out sucks.

(11-18-2020, 09:28 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: So with this year already over, i was looking at who we have as free agebts this off season. Now our cap situation has completely flipped, no more paying QB's to play for other teams. So here are whos contracts are up on O

Cam Robinson, Keelan Cole, Conley, Shatley, O'Shaughnessy, Westbrook, Thompson and Glennon

On D

Now Cam and Hayden, maybe Keelan are the only starters that would need to be replaced. Cam has been hot and cold at LT, hes not the worst but how much do you pay him? Same with Hayden and Keelan. Sidney Jones is having a good year and i dont see too many other teams desperate for anyone else there.

I kick the tires with Cam's agent, but if the asking price is too high, I'm comfortable walking away. Same for Conley.
I think we can make offers that would keep Cole, Shatley and O'Shag around. While they may not be world-beaters, they've been here a while, and provide value and depth.
The rest, meh, not really worried about losing.

On D, Sidney Jones will be top priority. If we stick with 4-3, I make a middling offer to Smoot and Herndon, again, not going to lead the league in anything, but depth is needed.
I might toss an offer to Abry, Correa, but the others will likely only be signed after FA runs its course and someone needs a band-aid to patch on short notice.

Guys like Westbrook and Hayden may have trouble getting signed, seems like injuries are getting the better of them.

(11-19-2020, 01:56 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 10:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we dont get Sewell we need to resign Cam.  Cole and and Sidney Jones are the only 2 others.  Shatley and Westbrook would be nice to bring back for depth

The problem is that free agency is before the draft. We can of course see what is realistic and act on that. 

Agree that Cole and Jones should be signed. 

Wouldn't be against signing Shatley, Smoot or Gotsis, Herndon.

It is, but if we picked at 2 we know Jets is taking Trevor.  So we will know if we want to take Sewell or a QB at 2

Yeah I'll amend mine, if Cam is willing to take a mid level contract to move to guard then I would be ok with signing him. If he's staying at tackle then I'm letting him walk.

This^.  If we go for Sewell we do not re-sign Cam. If they go QB Cam gets re-signed. Cole is worth signing along with Jones. I'll pass on Shatley as there are plenty of centers to draft mid round. Westbrook's is good as gone IMO
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(11-19-2020, 01:17 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:

This^.  If we go for Sewell we do not re-sign Cam. If they go QB Cam gets re-signed. Cole is worth signing along with Jones. I'll pass on Shatley as there are plenty of centers to draft mid round. Westbrook's is good as gone IMO

As long as he doesn't want a big contract. He's not worth a big deal.

Guys there are more options at LT than Sewell or Cam. Just because we probably won't get Sewell means we need to lock up our bottom tier LT long term.

(11-19-2020, 03:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Gimme Cole and Shatley on O

This

(11-19-2020, 03:33 PM)Upper Wrote: Guys there are more options at LT than Sewell or Cam. Just because we probably won't get Sewell means we need to lock up our bottom tier LT long term.

If we don't get Lawrence and we are sitting at #2, we better choose Sewell. He is by far, the #2 prospect in the entire draft by a wide margin. You just don't pass up that kind of a talent, especially when we have another first rounder to address the QB spot. With that said, if we somehow win another game or two and we no longer are in the area to draft Sewell, there is indeed another option at LT. My second favorite guy is Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. He did not allow a sack in 2019 and so far, has not given one up this season either. He is a solid run blocker as well, but his pass blocking is what stands out to me. He would be a very nice addition to our O-Line. I'm not very high on the rest of the OT's in this class though. They are a little raw and would require a bit of coaching, (which I really don't trust our current staff to do.) 

The free agent LT class is very weak as well. There really isn't anyone available in free agency who is that much better than Robinson. Trent Williams, Russell Okung and Alejandro Villanueva are the big name guys and they are all well over 30 and none are what they once were. I don't see any help at all in free agency. If we miss out on Sewell and Eichenberg, I really see no other good option to fill the LT spot other than re-signing Robinson to a short term, mid level contract. He may not be great, but he's certainly outplaying Jawaan Taylor. He's been a train wreck this season.

Cam should be resigned. I would think it risky going into next season with a rookie LT. I do believe we need to invest in the big guys on both sides of the line...
A new broom always sweeps clean.