Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

My wife in her heavily accented Filipino said it best. "Whatever. You get the new QB and he playing bad. You never know."

How can anyone disagree?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-08-2020, 11:15 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My wife in her heavily accented Filipino said it best. "Whatever. You get the new QB and he playing bad. You never know."

How can anyone disagree?

She ain't wrong. 

Historically accurate as well.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 03:19 PM by Firesky.)

(12-08-2020, 10:09 AM)rfc17 Wrote: I haven't watched tons of college football this year so I haven't seen much of these players other than highlights and a few quarters of games.  So all of these opinions are based on very little sample size and whatever I've read.

With Trask, it is hard to know how strong his arm is as he does seem to put touch on the majority of this throws.  Looking through his highlights, every now and then you see him throw it with velocity but it isn't often.  And makes you wonder is he less confident and less accurate when having to do so.  Or does he only do so when he feels like it is really needed.  He seems like a very solid and efficient QB that is putting up huge numbers but have to admit I'm not wowed when I watch him play.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as he is accurate and reliably moves the ball down the field.  But I feel like there arent a ton of highlight plays.  Which makes me wonder how high the ceiling is.  

Justin Fields scares me just because running is such a big part of his game.  With the way the NFL is played now, a running QB scares me less as you cant really hit a guy even when he moves out of the pocket and takes off down the field.  But running QBs, especially in college, tend to be throwing to wide open receivers and have a lot of time to throw.  One of the criticisms of Haskins when he was at Ohio St was that he had all day to throw, was benefiting from tons of yards after the catch, and that his numbers when pressured really tanked.  And Haskins wasnt even a running QB but Ohio St's talent is usually so much better than their opponents.  I havent seen the similar analysis on Fields yet but have heard those concerns dont apply to him nearly as much as Haskins.  But when pressured is he just taking off running where Haskins was forced to throw?  Who knows.  side note, did anyone listen to Prisco and Boselli a few weeks ago on their monday night show?  They were talking about how with Lamar Jackson, everyone was so afraid of his running and were playing zone behind him.  But now defenses are playing a lot more tight man and Lamar's failings as a pure passer are getting more exposed.  Always the concern with QBs where running is such a huge part of their game.

Didnt see any of Zach Wilson against Coastal Carolina but was disappointed by the numbers.  Obviously CC is having a great year but would like to think a first round QB would light them up.  I'm sure Wilson isn't playing with elite talent around him the way these other guys are but still.  From a pure skills standpoint, I like him better than everyone but Lawrence.  The guy has a big arm and is surprising mobile but running isnt really part of his game.  Just an added dimension when needed.  Seems like he could be a real boom or bust prospect.  

Have seen even less of Mac Jones but the few quarters of games I saw, he just screamed Bama QB to me.  Maybe the guy is much more talented than I realize and I just havent seen him enough.

My opinion on all these guys is subject to change if I ever get around to watching more.  At this point I dont think I'd have a problem drafting Trask, Fields, or Wilson in the first.  #2 may sound high for some but not sure we could afford to take a chance any would be there in the mid-20s.  QB is all that matters anymore so you have to swing for the fence whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Still hoping we can somehow land the first pick in the draft though.

Fields doesn't scare me at all, I really think everyone in this thread is sleeping on him. "Running QB" is laughable, yes he's a "dual threat" but he is far from run first even when he breaks the pocket to extend plays. 

Fields reminds me of a slightly less athletic Lamar Jackson who's MILES better as a thrower. Another way to describe him would be "What RG3 was supposed to be" or a "Bigger Deshaun Watson"

PROS: Fields is 6'3" 220+, runs a 4.4 40, has a big arm, is accurate, can take snaps from under center, great mechanics, a quick release, solid footwork, his best attribute is making plays when protection & the play break down, can throw on the run, & is aggressive trying to push the ball downfield. 

CONS: Lack of experience (only played 2019 & this season) & almost every other negative stems from that, improve at reading defenses pre snap, knowing when to throw the ball away if nothing is there and live for the next play.

He'd be the consensus #1 overall pick in any other draft. He's a better prospect than Kyler Murray was who went #1. I can do a more detailed film room breakdown on why I like him so much, he's honestly the best fit of any QB for what the Jags Offense has in terms of personnel right now. I understand the Indiana game has some people concerned but every prospect has had a game where they struggle, Lawrence looked atrocious when they hung on for a 1 point win against UNC (unranked) in 2019 & no one batted an eye, hell Lawrence struggled in BOTH CFP games he played last year (under <55% completion in the semis & 48% completion in the NCG) and there wasn't a single analyst who showed concerned about his future prospects in the nfl or consensus #1 pick status. I don't think it's time to raise the alarm just because Fields had an off day against a Top 10 ranked team in Indiana, and still won the game.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-08-2020, 03:13 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 10:09 AM)rfc17 Wrote: I haven't watched tons of college football this year so I haven't seen much of these players other than highlights and a few quarters of games.  So all of these opinions are based on very little sample size and whatever I've read.

With Trask, it is hard to know how strong his arm is as he does seem to put touch on the majority of this throws.  Looking through his highlights, every now and then you see him throw it with velocity but it isn't often.  And makes you wonder is he less confident and less accurate when having to do so.  Or does he only do so when he feels like it is really needed.  He seems like a very solid and efficient QB that is putting up huge numbers but have to admit I'm not wowed when I watch him play.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as he is accurate and reliably moves the ball down the field.  But I feel like there arent a ton of highlight plays.  Which makes me wonder how high the ceiling is.  

Justin Fields scares me just because running is such a big part of his game.  With the way the NFL is played now, a running QB scares me less as you cant really hit a guy even when he moves out of the pocket and takes off down the field.  But running QBs, especially in college, tend to be throwing to wide open receivers and have a lot of time to throw.  One of the criticisms of Haskins when he was at Ohio St was that he had all day to throw, was benefiting from tons of yards after the catch, and that his numbers when pressured really tanked.  And Haskins wasnt even a running QB but Ohio St's talent is usually so much better than their opponents.  I havent seen the similar analysis on Fields yet but have heard those concerns dont apply to him nearly as much as Haskins.  But when pressured is he just taking off running where Haskins was forced to throw?  Who knows.  side note, did anyone listen to Prisco and Boselli a few weeks ago on their monday night show?  They were talking about how with Lamar Jackson, everyone was so afraid of his running and were playing zone behind him.  But now defenses are playing a lot more tight man and Lamar's failings as a pure passer are getting more exposed.  Always the concern with QBs where running is such a huge part of their game.

Didnt see any of Zach Wilson against Coastal Carolina but was disappointed by the numbers.  Obviously CC is having a great year but would like to think a first round QB would light them up.  I'm sure Wilson isn't playing with elite talent around him the way these other guys are but still.  From a pure skills standpoint, I like him better than everyone but Lawrence.  The guy has a big arm and is surprising mobile but running isnt really part of his game.  Just an added dimension when needed.  Seems like he could be a real boom or bust prospect.  

Have seen even less of Mac Jones but the few quarters of games I saw, he just screamed Bama QB to me.  Maybe the guy is much more talented than I realize and I just havent seen him enough.

My opinion on all these guys is subject to change if I ever get around to watching more.  At this point I dont think I'd have a problem drafting Trask, Fields, or Wilson in the first.  #2 may sound high for some but not sure we could afford to take a chance any would be there in the mid-20s.  QB is all that matters anymore so you have to swing for the fence whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Still hoping we can somehow land the first pick in the draft though.

Fields doesn't scare me at all, I really think everyone in this thread is sleeping on him. "Running QB" is laughable, yes he's a "dual threat" but he is far from run first even when he breaks the pocket to extend plays. 

Fields reminds me of a slightly less athletic Lamar Jackson who's MILES better as a thrower. Another way to describe him would be "What RG3 was supposed to be" or a "Bigger Deshaun Watson"

PROS: Fields is 6'3" 220+, runs a 4.4 40, has a big arm, is accurate, can take snaps from under center, great mechanics, a quick release, solid footwork, his best attribute is making plays when protection & the play break down, can throw on the run, & is aggressive trying to push the ball downfield. 

CONS: Lack of experience (only played 2019 & this season) & almost every other negative stems from that, improve at reading defenses pre snap, knowing when to throw the ball away if nothing is there and live for the next play.

He'd be the consensus #1 overall pick in any other draft. He's a better prospect than Kyler Murray was who went #1. I can do a more detailed film room breakdown on why I like him so much, he's honestly the best fit of any QB for what the Jags Offense has in terms of personnel right now. I understand the Indiana game has some people concerned but every prospect has had a game where they struggle, Lawrence looked atrocious when they hung on for a 1 point win against UNC (unranked) in 2019 & no one batted an eye, hell Lawrence struggled in BOTH CFP games he played last year (under <55% completion in the semis & 48% completion in the NCG) and there wasn't a single analyst who showed concerned about his future prospects in the nfl or consensus #1 pick status.  I don't think it's time to raise the alarm just because Fields had an off day against a Top 10 ranked team in Indiana, and still won the game.

Fields hasn't faced a decent defense his entire career. And now that the Michigan game has been cancelled, Ohio State won't even be eligible to go to their own conference's championship game.

As much as I hate UF prospects... Trask looks really, really good. Need to see how well or badly he does in the SEC Championship, though.

(12-08-2020, 03:13 PM)Firesky Wrote:

He'd be the consensus #1 overall pick in any other draft. He's a better prospect than Kyler Murray was who went #1. I can do a more detailed film room breakdown on why I like him so much, he's honestly the best fit of any QB for what the Jags Offense has in terms of personnel right now. I understand the Indiana game has some people concerned but every prospect has had a game where they struggle, Lawrence looked atrocious when they hung on for a 1 point win against UNC (unranked) in 2019 & no one batted an eye, hell Lawrence struggled in BOTH CFP games he played last year (under <55% completion in the semis & 48% completion in the NCG) and there wasn't a single analyst who showed concerned about his future prospects in the nfl or consensus #1 pick status.  I don't think it's time to raise the alarm just because Fields had an off day against a Top 10 ranked team in Indiana, and still won the game.

The worry is that to be a 10+ year franchise QB, the mental aspect is the most important thing to succeed in the NFL, and more often than not players who "meet all the physicals" like you have stated can't get the mental aspect of the pro game.

Even the whole we just need to "developing the QB" part, is Mahomes the only guy who truly succeeded on that front in like 15 years?

Even Wilson was noted to be a very smart, poised QB in college. It was his physical size that dropped his draft stock.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 03:43 PM by Firesky.)

(12-08-2020, 03:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 03:13 PM)Firesky Wrote: Fields doesn't scare me at all, I really think everyone in this thread is sleeping on him. "Running QB" is laughable, yes he's a "dual threat" but he is far from run first even when he breaks the pocket to extend plays. 

Fields hasn't faced a decent defense his entire career. And now that the Michigan game has been cancelled, Ohio State won't even be eligible to go to their own conference's championship game.

As much as I hate UF prospects... Trask looks really, really good. Need to see how well or badly he does in the SEC Championship, though.

Hasn't faced a decent Defense?!?! He played Clemson's D in the CFP Semi's last year and played well (wrong route by Olave aside), he faced Penn State in 2019 (when they were good) Wisconsin twice in 2019 (top 10 ranked), Michigan State (Top 25 ranked), Nebraska who's traditionally great at D. He's faced more good Defenses than Lawrence does in the ACC, and DEFINITELY more than Kyler Murray with his 1 year in the Big 12 (played Bama in the CFP and that was it).....

I agree, I like what I see from Trask, he's still very very RAW and needs to refine his mechanics but i'm reserving judgement until he plays in the SEC Championship game &/or CFP. I can't put Trask ahead of Fields, at least not yet. the only thing I don't like about Trask is his throwing motion & having even less starting experience than Fields.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-08-2020, 03:31 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 03:13 PM)Firesky Wrote: Fields doesn't scare me at all, I really think everyone in this thread is sleeping on him. "Running QB" is laughable, yes he's a "dual threat" but he is far from run first even when he breaks the pocket to extend plays. 

The worry is that to be a 10+ year franchise QB, the mental aspect is the most important thing to succeed in the NFL, and more often than not players who "meet all the physicals" like you have stated can't get the mental aspect of the pro game.

Even the whole we just need to "developing the QB" part, is Mahomes the only guy who truly succeeded on that front in like 15 years?

Even Wilson was noted to be a very smart, poised QB in college. It was his physical size that dropped his draft stock.

What makes you think Fields struggles with the mental aspect of the game? He definitely needs more experience for sure but I wouldn't go as far as to say he "struggles". Most of his mistakes are trying to do too much or force a ball in when he knows he shouldn't, not from him making a bad read, seeing ghosts like darnold or simply not knowing what's going on mentally. This is the easiest part of the game to coach for the position besides maybe footwork.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-08-2020, 03:50 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 03:31 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: The worry is that to be a 10+ year franchise QB, the mental aspect is the most important thing to succeed in the NFL, and more often than not players who "meet all the physicals" like you have stated can't get the mental aspect of the pro game.

What makes you think Fields struggles with the mental aspect of the game?  He definitely needs more experience for sure but I wouldn't go as far as to say he "struggles". Most of his mistakes are trying to do too much or force a ball in when he knows he shouldn't, not from him making a bad read, seeing ghosts like darnold or simply not knowing what's going on mentally. This is the easiest part of the game to coach for the position besides maybe footwork.

If you watch him play, he is a one read QB. If his first read is covered, he takes off running. He never takes the time to go through his progressions. He also rarely makes "tight window" throws. The reason his completion percentage is so high is because he only seems to throw to wide open receivers. If they are even remotely covered, he takes off running. I've seen all of his games and this is the biggest problem I have with him. He relies way too much on his athleticism. I just don't see an NFL QB when I watch him play, which unfortunately means he will almost certainly be drafted by the Jags and the next 4-5 years will be more misery.

(12-08-2020, 07:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 03:50 PM)Firesky Wrote: What makes you think Fields struggles with the mental aspect of the game?  He definitely needs more experience for sure but I wouldn't go as far as to say he "struggles". Most of his mistakes are trying to do too much or force a ball in when he knows he shouldn't, not from him making a bad read, seeing ghosts like darnold or simply not knowing what's going on mentally. This is the easiest part of the game to coach for the position besides maybe footwork.

If you watch him play, he is a one read QB. If his first read is covered, he takes off running. He never takes the time to go through his progressions. He also rarely makes "tight window" throws. The reason his completion percentage is so high is because he only seems to throw to wide open receivers. If they are even remotely covered, he takes off running. I've seen all of his games and this is the biggest problem I have with him. He relies way too much on his athleticism. I just don't see an NFL QB when I watch him play, which unfortunately means he will almost certainly be drafted by the Jags and the next 4-5 years will be more misery.
And what were your thoughts on Watson coming out?

(12-08-2020, 07:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If you watch him play, he is a one read QB. If his first read is covered, he takes off running. He never takes the time to go through his progressions. He also rarely makes "tight window" throws. The reason his completion percentage is so high is because he only seems to throw to wide open receivers. If they are even remotely covered, he takes off running. I've seen all of his games and this is the biggest problem I have with him. He relies way too much on his athleticism. I just don't see an NFL QB when I watch him play, which unfortunately means he will almost certainly be drafted by the Jags and the next 4-5 years will be more misery.
And what were your thoughts on Watson coming out?

I loved Watson. I also loved Haskins. I also loved Josh Allen when most thought the Bills were foolish for drafting him. I usually have a favorite QB in every draft and he is rarely the number one guy. My favorite this year is Wilson, with Trask as a close second.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-08-2020, 08:36 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And what were your thoughts on Watson coming out?

I loved Watson. I also loved Haskins. I also loved Josh Allen when most thought the Bills were foolish for drafting him. I usually have a favorite QB in every draft and he is rarely the number one guy. My favorite this year is Wilson, with Trask as a close second.

I wouldn't say most thought the Bills were foolish for drafting him, it was mostly just a few on this board.  Allen was always a highly sought after QB

(12-08-2020, 10:42 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 06:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think that will be a valid comparison, because one of them will have to face a great defense and the other will not.

And one of them has an elite RB and like 3 (4 if Waddle is there) really good receiving threats.
Everyone was bagging on how Trask is surrounded by all this talent... but outside of Pitts and Toney I don't think anyone on UF is that special.

I think Jones has a lot more talent around him from the backfield to the WRs and on the other side of the ball (not that Bama has a traditional dominant Bama D this year)

After watching the majority of the season, I just hope my Gators can keep it entertaining and competitive in ATL. An upset of Bama is unlikely and might qualify as upset of the year only to likely have to face them again in the playoff..... something about lightning not striking the same place twice.....

As per how the QBs are ranked... I still see Jones and Trask as late first rounders. And yeah I'd have Trask just ahead of Jones because I believe Jones is benefitting from having an elite allstar cast around him. Benefits greatly from Najee. Ranking Wilson really high after not really impressing against Coastal Carolina is a head scratcher (Better than Lawrence? Cmon man) but he's got the arm so he probably remains ahead of Trask and Jones. I think Fields is the high risk high reward QB and Lawrence, remains, the safest QB prospect of this draft. He has all the tools, size, arm, mobility, intelligence. I wasn't so high on Lawrence last year, I've watched enough this year it's hard to make a sane argument for any QB above him.

I'm still not COMPLETELY sold of Fields. Murdering Mich St doesn't really move the needle for me. Eager to see him in playoffs vs real competition cuz the B10 just ain't it. Although Indiana's D gave him his best challenge.

Wilson has the tools but I think will take some time to adjust the NFL skill level teams... 
I've said it before, I think how the draft shakes out (after Lawrence at 1, unless the Jets do Jets things and screw that up too) these guys get drafted based on who the GM/coach is and what KIND of QB they prefer. Some think the pure pocket passer is dying in the NFL... I don't think so. Cuz for all the razzamatazz of a guy like Murray and Jackson... they're losing games because of what they can't do from the pocket. Guys like Big Ben and Brady and Rivers are STILL winning without being runners.
The RPO QB running thing is just a wrinkle in the NFL (I won't say FAD cuz it's lasted long enough) But I doubt we have seen the death of the pure pocket passer.

(12-07-2020, 06:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Which one? Neither have great defenses this year. Florida's is worse, but Alabama's is definitely not what they've had in the past. Alabama is giving up 357 total yards per game and Florida is giving up 381 total yards per game. That's pretty close. The difference is that Florida gives up more big plays, which result in points.

Yeah I think the biggest differences in the two teams in that Jones has more weapons on offense and a run game.
Smith, Metchi, Billingsly, (and the injured Waddle), Najee > Pitts, Toney, Copeland, Grimes, Malik Davis

Fields has tremendous skill as a passer though.  And his offensive line isn't great.  He has less to work with than Haskins did and he has improved quite a bit this year.

(12-08-2020, 08:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 08:36 PM)Dimson Wrote: I loved Watson. I also loved Haskins. I also loved Josh Allen when most thought the Bills were foolish for drafting him. I usually have a favorite QB in every draft and he is rarely the number one guy. My favorite this year is Wilson, with Trask as a close second.

I wouldn't say most thought the Bills were foolish for drafting him, it was mostly just a few on this board.  Allen was always a highly sought after QB

Most people I talked to hated the pick.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-08-2020, 09:08 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 08:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldn't say most thought the Bills were foolish for drafting him, it was mostly just a few on this board.  Allen was always a highly sought after QB

He was extremely raw. Could throw the ball further than anyone but his accuracy was really bad.

Dabol deserves a ton of credit here as does Allen for working so hard.

Fields should be given...maybe not a pass...but some kind of leniency for the crazy whiplash that covid has put OSU through this year. Every other week practices are getting cancelled and games are getting cancelled and junk.

Also, Trask hasn't been facing defenses any tougher than Fields this year. The SEC defenses are a joke this year.

Just saw a YouTube video of Wilson's game against coastal carolina. Thought he looked a lot better than the numbers would say. The int was an end of 1st half hail Mary into the endzone so was meaningless. Made a bunch of big throws. Wrs dropped some balls and his oline was getting abused. Dont think their offensive scheme makes the most of his talents. Still think besides Lawrence he may have the best all around skillset. Again seems like a boom or bust guy.

(12-08-2020, 10:41 PM)Upper Wrote: Fields should be given...maybe not a pass...but some kind of leniency for the crazy whiplash that covid has put OSU through this year. Every other week practices are getting cancelled and games are getting cancelled and junk.

Also, Trask hasn't been facing defenses any tougher than Fields this year. The SEC defenses are a joke this year.

OSU had 23 players out, including 3 starters on the OL vs Michigan State. Nobody likes to talk about that though.

(12-08-2020, 09:08 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 08:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldn't say most thought the Bills were foolish for drafting him, it was mostly just a few on this board.  Allen was always a highly sought after QB

Jalen Ramsey thought it was a bad pick.

FWIW

Jalen from Jacksonville, FL
Kyle Trask is moving in right behind Trevor Lawrence? I'm a Jags fan and we gotta get this next QB pick right. Are you really leaning Trask over Justin Fields?
I don't believe Fields is worthy of the second pick of the draft. I don't see a second-pick-of-the-draft passer.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2020, 10:31 AM by Kane.)

(12-08-2020, 10:41 PM)Upper Wrote: Fields should be given...maybe not a pass...but some kind of leniency for the crazy whiplash that covid has put OSU through this year. Every other week practices are getting cancelled and games are getting cancelled and junk.

Very few teams are playing "great" defense these days. Even Bama is giving up tons of yards.

However the talent level of the defenses at A&M, UGA, Arkansas, and Kentucky are better than most anything from the B10. (And of the 5 Fields has faced this year, IU was the only real team, and he made the most mistakes he's ever made and played his worst game)

It isn't about playing "great" defenses really it's about playing against tougher competition overall. I'd even venture to say most of the offenses of the SEC are harder to keep up with than most of the B10 teams.

But hey... we get it... You're not a fan of Trask lol Give Fields all the passes you want. Barring something unforeseen by draftnik types, he's gonna be our QB at 2, so don't get your panties in a wad. You'll get your guy probably.

(12-09-2020, 03:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

OSU had 23 players out, including 3 starters on the OL vs Michigan State. Nobody likes to talk about that though.
Lots of teams are missing guys due to Covid. UF had guys missing vs A&M due to covid and injuries. No one gave them any passes.

Also... MSU is straight garbage... gaaaaahhhbaaage.