Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2020, 01:27 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-09-2020, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 10:41 PM)Upper Wrote: Fields should be given...maybe not a pass...but some kind of leniency for the crazy whiplash that covid has put OSU through this year. Every other week practices are getting cancelled and games are getting cancelled and junk.

Also, Trask hasn't been facing defenses any tougher than Fields this year. The SEC defenses are a joke this year.

Very few teams are playing "great" defense these days. Even Bama is giving up tons of yards.

However the talent level of the defenses at A&M, UGA, Arkansas, and Kentucky are better than most anything from the B10. (And of the 5 Fields has faced this year, IU was the only real team, and he made the most mistakes he's ever made and played his worst game)

It isn't about playing "great" defenses really it's about playing against tougher competition overall. I'd even venture to say most of the offenses of the SEC are harder to keep up with than most of the B10 teams.

But hey... we get it... You're not a fan of Trask lol Give Fields all the passes you want. Barring something unforeseen by draftnik types, he's gonna be our QB at 2, so don't get your panties in a wad. You'll get your guy probably.

(12-09-2020, 03:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote: OSU had 23 players out, including 3 starters on the OL vs Michigan State. Nobody likes to talk about that though.
Lots of teams are missing guys due to Covid. UF had guys missing vs A&M due to covid and injuries. No one gave them any passes.

Also... MSU is straight garbage... gaaaaahhhbaaage.

Exactly, to pretty much everything you just said lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2020, 02:49 PM by Upper.)

(12-09-2020, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote: But hey... we get it... You're not a fan of Trask lol Give Fields all the passes you want. Barring something unforeseen by draftnik types, he's gonna be our QB at 2, so don't get your panties in a wad. You'll get your guy probably.
--------------------------
Lots of teams are missing guys due to Covid. UF had guys missing vs A&M due to covid and injuries. No one gave them any passes.

I don't have a guy. If we're choosing someone I am probably the highest on compared to others it's Lance as of now, granting that he has more room to move than anyone based on combine/pro day/private workouts. I just feel compelled to defend Fields since people are knocking him based on a lot of illogical things.

Lots of teams have had small covid impacts on the season. OSU's whole season has been one giant covid sandwich. Unless the BIG changes their rules OSU won't even qualify for the conference title game because they've had so many games cancelled.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2020, 03:12 PM by The Real Marty.)

I want to hear a real scout's take on Kyle Trask.  Not the usual internet "scout" who runs a website and "heard" that Trask had some flaw that pushes him into the second round.  From what I see, he might be one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in this draft class.   He's a big strong guy, he finds open receivers, he gets the ball out quickly and accurately, and obviously he's incredibly productive.   I've seen him throw a lot of very impressive passes into very tight windows.  It looks like NFL quarterbacking to me.  He looks like a Ben Roethlisberger type QB.

If Trask if the 5th best QB in this draft class, as some seem to think, then it looks to me like this might be a historically great draft for QBs.    

If I had a choice between Fields at #2 and Trask at #10 plus some extra picks, I'm pretty sure I would take Trask and the extra picks.  

But is there something wrong with him that I'm not seeing?  I would defer to a real professional scout on that question.

(12-09-2020, 03:03 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I want to hear a real scout's take on Kyle Trask.  Not the usual internet "scout" who runs a website and "heard" that Trask had some flaw that pushes him into the second round.  From what I see, he might be one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in this draft class.   He's a big strong guy, he finds open receivers, he gets the ball out quickly and accurately, and obviously he's incredibly productive.   I've seen him throw a lot of very impressive passes into very tight windows.  It looks like NFL quarterbacking to me.  He looks like a Ben Roethlisberger type QB.

If Trask if the 5th best QB in this draft class, as some seem to think, then it looks to me like this might be a historically great draft for QBs.    

If I had a choice between Fields at #2 and Trask at #10 plus some extra picks, I'm pretty sure I would take Trask and the extra picks.  

But is there something wrong with him that I'm not seeing?  I would defer to a real professional scout on that question.

What real scout will relay their info to us? Are there real former pro scouts now working for TV? All we have is our own opinions and then the opinions of draftniks and former players on TV and the web.

I've watched every snap since Trask took over for Franks last year. I listened to Dan Orlovsky talk about him recently, which I respect his general knowledge of the position. (Carson Wentz lovefest aside lol) And then I've done a bunch of reading so my 2 cents ain't a real scouts 2 cents but I feel I have a better idea of who Trask is than say Zach Wilson or even Justin Fields....
Even with Trevor Lawrence there isn't a single person out there that doesn't have him as QB1 and I've watched about 2 full seasons worth of games. I think the dude is legit franchise stuff (something I didn't always firmly believe)

But on Trask, his arm strength is average. It's not "weak" like some would probably put on say a Minshew. But average. He doesn't sling it like some of the elite QBs can. I've watched a few games where he had a guy streaking and they had to slow up on the route and it was a big gain instead of 6. I give all the scouts that, arm chair or not. He doesn't possess a canon by any means. But he's got enough to zip the ball into intermediate windows. I've seen him do it plenty, once in particular on a crossing route that would have been a helluva play to Pitts had the UGA player not beheaded him.

The only other knock is that at 6'5" 250 he's not a running/"athletic" QB. He doesn't offer much in QB keepers or RPO's. SOME people, especially the fans and arm chair GMs think that the NFL is headed in a direction that pure pocket passers aren't valued anymore. Orlovsky said "he's kind of a dinosaur". I don't know how true that is because the best QBs still make the best plays from the pocket or at least "moving" the pocket imo. And Trask offers enough mobility to maneuver the pocket and roll out to extend plays.

His biggest strength however is between the ears. He regularly looks off safeties, recognizes blitzes, and goes through progressions not just locking on to Pitts or the first read. And rarely will check it down unnecessarily.

I'm no pro scout. I've been wrong on QBs more often than not. But then again I've never said Trask was worthy of a top 2 pick. But as you allude to... if you can get him later and acquire more picks, or get an elite LT or pass rusher and then select him later... It would not hurt my feelings one bit.

(12-09-2020, 02:48 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote: But hey... we get it... You're not a fan of Trask lol Give Fields all the passes you want. Barring something unforeseen by draftnik types, he's gonna be our QB at 2, so don't get your panties in a wad. You'll get your guy probably.
--------------------------

I don't have a guy. If we're choosing someone I am probably the highest on compared to others it's Lance as of now, granting that he has more room to move than anyone based on combine/pro day/private workouts. I just feel compelled to defend Fields since people are knocking him based on a lot of illogical things.

Lots of teams have had small covid impacts on the season. OSU's whole season has been one giant covid sandwich. Unless the BIG changes their rules OSU won't even qualify for the conference title game because they've had so many games cancelled.

Fields biggest knock, from what I've seen, is he is a one read (Olave usually, a really good WR) and run QB.
And yeah OSU has been affected by B10 teams having a lot of covid issues and their more strict regulations. But MSU was the only game where they had a bunch of guys missing because of THEIR covid problems. And it was a weak opponent. I'd argue MSU wouldn't beat Vandy, the SEC's worst team...

As of now I'm okay with getting Fields, but I want to have coaches that will develop him from what he is, not build an offense out of what he is now... because it won't last. Lamar Jackson went from MVP to just another running QB in a year. Fields has the potential to be better than that but not if we get Greg Roman to be our HC and he just brings that playbook to town.

Lance is a small school 1 year starter. I just don't see how anyone could want to spend a first round on that, no matter how good he looked or his measurables.
Dude might end up being great, it's just a really small resume and so too big of a risk for me personally.

I've seen every Trask game as well. Has he ever had a bad game? I dont remember one. Ill be in Gainesville this weekend at the LSU game

(12-09-2020, 04:16 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 02:48 PM)Upper Wrote: I don't have a guy. If we're choosing someone I am probably the highest on compared to others it's Lance as of now, granting that he has more room to move than anyone based on combine/pro day/private workouts. I just feel compelled to defend Fields since people are knocking him based on a lot of illogical things.

Fields biggest knock, from what I've seen, is he is a one read (Olave usually, a really good WR) and run QB.
And yeah OSU has been affected by B10 teams having a lot of covid issues and their more strict regulations. But MSU was the only game where they had a bunch of guys missing because of THEIR covid problems. And it was a weak opponent. I'd argue MSU wouldn't beat Vandy, the SEC's worst team...

As of now I'm okay with getting Fields, but I want to have coaches that will develop him from what he is, not build an offense out of what he is now... because it won't last. Lamar Jackson went from MVP to just another running QB in a year. Fields has the potential to be better than that but not if we get Greg Roman to be our HC and he just brings that playbook to town.

Lance is a small school 1 year starter. I just don't see how anyone could want to spend a first round on that, no matter how good he looked or his measurables.
Dude might end up being great, it's just a really small resume and so too big of a risk for me personally.

I've seen Fields make full field reads, he also did in hs and took snaps from under center (qb1 season 2 on netflix follows him during his hs career and is pretty informative) I agree that the Ohio State offense can oversimplify at times but I don't think that Fields will struggle to adapt to an NFL offense, if he needs time holding a clipboard his rookie year than that's what he does but I think he should be ready to start right away.

I think Lamar Jackson's backslide comes from Greg Roman's offense, yes it takes advantage of the qb's mobility/strengths but it badly telegraphs what you want to do each play just based on formation alone. I also think he needs a possesion type WR like an anquan boldin he has mark andrews and then speedy guys on the outside, he needs a consistent option in the midrange passing game outside the numbers. I do agree though that an offense for fields should be about having him grow into being a passer, if we utilize the ravens scheme it'll fizzle out. Id rather see Daboll hired as HC and have his guy at OC, if he can do for Fields what he did for Josh Allen we'll be just fine!

Trask has a good arm, but his lower body is out of sync with his upper half, he's using arm only a lot of times, he needs to refine his mechanics to engage his core and really step into throws to drive the ball. This is correctable though & I think we'll see a large amount of growth with better footwork and more reps mechanically. Mentally he has it, love the way he looks off safetys and sees the field, seems to have super high football iq, if he balls out in the SECCG & CFP I could see a case for him at #2. He has better stats than Burrow did last year besides completion %, that can't be ignored!

Haven't seen enough of BYU to give an opinion on Wilson.

Trey Lance needs a bigger sample size, Carson Wentz played at NDSU but had 4 years of sustained success. Lance struggling in the one game he played this year has me skeptical, I wouldn't be comfortable spending a high first on him on that small a sample size (shades of trubisky) I think he's comparable to Jordan Love who was drafted by the packers.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-09-2020, 04:58 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 04:16 PM)Kane Wrote: Fields biggest knock, from what I've seen, is he is a one read (Olave usually, a really good WR) and run QB.

I've seen Fields make full field reads, he also did in hs and took snaps from under center (qb1 season 2 on netflix follows him during his hs career and is pretty informative) I agree that the Ohio State offense can oversimplify at times but I don't think that Fields will struggle to adapt to an NFL offense, if he needs time holding a clipboard his rookie year than that's what he does but I think he should be ready to start right away.

I think Lamar Jackson's backslide comes from Greg Roman's offense, yes it takes advantage of the qb's mobility/strengths but it badly telegraphs what you want to do each play just based on formation alone. I also think he needs a possesion type WR like an anquan boldin he has mark andrews and then speedy guys on the outside, he needs a consistent option in the midrange passing game outside the numbers. I do agree though that an offense for fields should be about having him grow into being a passer, if we utilize the ravens scheme it'll fizzle out. Id rather see Daboll hired as HC and have his guy at OC, if he can do for Fields what he did for Josh Allen we'll be just fine!

Trask has a good arm, but his lower body is out of sync with his upper half, he's using arm only a lot of times, he needs to refine his mechanics to engage his core and really step into throws to drive the ball. This is correctable though & I think we'll see a large amount of growth with better footwork and more reps mechanically. Mentally he has it, love the way he looks off safetys and sees the field, seems to have super high football iq, if he balls out in the SECCG & CFP I could see a case for him at #2. He has better stats than Burrow did last year besides completion %, that can't be ignored!

Trey Lance needs a bigger sample size, Carson Wentz played at NDSU but had 4 years of sustained success. Lance struggling in the one game he played this year has me skeptical, I wouldn't be comfortable spending a high first on him on that small a sample size (shades of trubisky) I think he's comparable to Jordan Love who was drafted by the packers.

I'll be sure to check out that on Netflix. And honestly, if we're drafting a guy at 2 overall he should be good enough to just start instead of hold a clipboard. Clipboard holders come later in round 1 and in round 2. Just my opinion on it. 
And you may be right it may be more about OSU's offense than Fields as a player. Time will tell, as I said I'll check out the show you mention and I've previously said I won't be mad about Fields at 2. He's got a lot of good traits even if he's not a perfect product, which I don't think there ever is one.

And if we were to get a guy like Daboll and he could work with a QB to take him from what Allen was to what he is, yeah I'd be pretty excited.

(12-09-2020, 05:38 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 04:58 PM)Firesky Wrote: I've seen Fields make full field reads, he also did in hs and took snaps from under center (qb1 season 2 on netflix follows him during his hs career and is pretty informative) I agree that the Ohio State offense can oversimplify at times but I don't think that Fields will struggle to adapt to an NFL offense, if he needs time holding a clipboard his rookie year than that's what he does but I think he should be ready to start right away.

I'll be sure to check out that on Netflix. And honestly, if we're drafting a guy at 2 overall he should be good enough to just start instead of hold a clipboard. Clipboard holders come later in round 1 and in round 2. Just my opinion on it. 
And you may be right it may be more about OSU's offense than Fields as a player. Time will tell, as I said I'll check out the show you mention and I've previously said I won't be mad about Fields at 2. He's got a lot of good traits even if he's not a perfect product, which I don't think there ever is one.

And if we were to get a guy like Daboll and he could work with a QB to take him from what Allen was to what he is, yeah I'd be pretty excited.

I think the trend of starting highly picked QB's is a more recent trend of the past decade plus. I think it should be on a case by case basis; Tua sat early this year (health reasons but still) and I think it was to his benefit, Herbert sat the first 2 games. You don't have to sit Fields for the season just long enough that he's more settled in to the nfl, comfortable in the offense and you're past any early season games on the schedule that will get him killed as our Oline isn't exactly stellar (look what happened to Burrow this year, regardless of what QB we take I don't want them to be hammered and injured a few games into their career)

The QB1 series shows Fields at circa age 16, so don't expect anything too crazy in terms of X's & O's but it really dove into his upbringing, how hard he works at his craft, and how damn competitive he is! I know his time at UGA was limited, but their offense isn't as simple as OState's and he seemed just fine in the action he got there as a true freshman. I agree that there's rarely a perfect prospect, I think Fields is just a really good fit for the talent/personell/pieces we have on offense right now; If Fields isn't the pick i'm hoping Trask proves himself to be worthy of a high pick, there's a lot to like with him!

Regardless of QB I think Daboll should be the hire I'm glad you think the same way about him!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The good thing is this argument should work itself out once all the games are played. We should have a clear picture of the pecking order of QBs after the National Championship playoffs are done.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-09-2020, 04:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I've seen every Trask game as well.  Has he ever had a bad game?   I  dont remember one.  Ill be in Gainesville this weekend at the LSU game
LOL

(12-12-2020, 09:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 04:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I've seen every Trask game as well.  Has he ever had a bad game?   I  dont remember one.  Ill be in Gainesville this weekend at the LSU game
LOL

Tell me which one and I'll go take a look?

Trask hasn't looked like a Sunday QB for the last month or so, even when the box scores have looked good.

(12-12-2020, 11:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 09:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: LOL

Tell me which one and I'll go take a look?
3 turnovers and lost to LSU last night..... you saw it in person.

Trask has never looked like the NFL QB everyone is so desperate for him to be. I feel sorry for the franchise that drafts him as a starter.

(12-13-2020, 09:17 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Trask has never looked like the NFL QB everyone is so desperate for him to be. I feel sorry for the franchise that drafts him as a starter.

I don't know that I would go THAT far.  I think that Trask is symptomatic of a larger problem evaluating college QB's.  At the college level, you throw in a couple draft picks @ WR and you have a much bigger competitive advantage Than you will @ the next level.  So when he is throwing to a potential top ten pick in Kyle Pitts, a 2 or 3 round pick in Toney, a 3 4 round pick in grimes and has two or three draftable running backs it makes him look really good.  What's going to happen @ the next level when the slot guy can keep position and leverage on your slot receiver and you have to throw him open.  Whats going to happen when the LB CAN run with your TE and compete at the point of the catch.  

Trask is never going to be the kind of QB that you bang the table for.  If he was an MLB prospect he'd be that pitcher who throws 87-89 in the right spots.  He's just ok athletically, he's got a just ok arm, he's tall but doesn't break tackles like McNair etc.  The thing that he has going for him is accuracy, anticipation and timing.  If he goes to a Team that has pieces around him i think that he can be a quality starter, but he's not going to be the guy that changes the fortunes of a franchise.

When Fields starts looking like a Trubisky, Jaguars need to tank for this guy, DJ Uiagalelei

(12-13-2020, 08:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 11:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Tell me which one and I'll go take a look?
3 turnovers and lost to LSU last night..... you saw it in person.

Was not a great night for Trask, though if you want to be objective, those INTs weren't exactly just bad throws/plays by him. Double doink INT near the sideline especially.

I'm not gonna make excuses for him though, probably his worst game at the worst possible time.
Mostly though I blame Dan Mullen, dude is too cocky for his own good. Not playing Pitts to rest him for Bama was stupid, imo. Not taking points early when in the RZ.

UF's defense is still trash so I never gave them much of a chance in the SECCG anyway.

But, just like everyone wants to say that Fields one bad game against IU shouldn't counter all the good I don't think that LSU game should negate all the good Trask has done.
My opinion is pretty much still the same, late first early second round QB. Not going to come in and be anyone's savior QB but if he lands with a Nola or New England I think he'll do very well.

(12-14-2020, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 08:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 3 turnovers and lost to LSU last night..... you saw it in person.

Was not a great night for Trask, though if you want to be objective, those INTs weren't exactly just bad throws/plays by him. Double doink INT near the sideline especially.

I'm not gonna make excuses for him though, probably his worst game at the worst possible time.
Mostly though I blame Dan Mullen, dude is too cocky for his own good. Not playing Pitts to rest him for Bama was stupid, imo. Not taking points early when in the RZ.

UF's defense is still trash so I never gave them much of a chance in the SECCG anyway.

But, just like everyone wants to say that Fields one bad game against IU shouldn't counter all the good I don't think that LSU game should negate all the good Trask has done.
My opinion is pretty much still the same, late first early second round QB. Not going to come in and be anyone's savior QB but if he lands with a Nola or New England I think he'll do very well.
I agree.

My whole point is that one game shouldn’t completely change the outlook on a player. Fields bad game shouldn’t change his entire body of work.

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in all of it. If you liked Trask before the bad LSU game, you should still like him today.

(12-14-2020, 12:18 PM)Kane Wrote: Was not a great night for Trask, though if you want to be objective, those INTs weren't exactly just bad throws/plays by him. Double doink INT near the sideline especially.

It wasn't a good night for Trask, but not really because of the interceptions. It just showed more than any other game that if you can get some pressure on him and he is forced to move off his spot that his arm and decision making are just not there. He needs the clean pocket and full mechanics to have adequate arm talent to make all the throws.